• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

Why are so few saved?

Why are so few saved?

• man’s stubbornness

• lazy soul winners

• God’s hands-off tack a bit

• Some other reason

• I have no clue

• Not all are the elect

Results are only viewable after voting.
Why does she or he have to address the poster addressing?

It seems clear the adresser has some problem with the poster.

it shows passive aggressiveness and is a dishonest tactic.
Those are negative assumptions on your part.

It will be the opposite.
There will be billions more delivered than not delivered.
I believe it will be a majority of all souls born into the world.

It will be the opposite.
There will be billions more delivered than not delivered.
I believe it will be a majority of all souls born into the world.
so sad, so proud of a man-made god.

Why are so few saved? Is the issue man’s stubbornness, lazy soul winners, or God’s hands-off tack?
Of the specifying options listed the "Not all are the elect" is the best option but that's not really an explanation and it couches the matter in the human that's saved, not God. Therefore, some other reason is the correct answer. To be fair, the question asks, "Why are so few saved?" when, more accurately, the question should be something like, "Why does God save so few in comparison to those He does not save?" because the truth of scripture is that there will a multitude of the saved but, despite being a multitude, the saved will be those (comparatively) few that entered the narrow gate on the narrow road, whereas many more are those that go through the wider gate. Furthermore, salvation is God's, not ours. We often speak of "our salvation," and scripture certainly uses that language, but it always does so within the underlying foundation of salvation is the LORD's and He and He alone saves, and He does so at His own behest and not any prior condition of the one being saved. There's certainly no meritorious condition on our part explaining the reason for salvation (aside from the condition of sin from which the saved are saved). It has nothing to do with any issue of man. It is from the human condition that the saved are saved! God made the elect the elect. Therefore, to ask, "Why are there so few saved?" is to ask, "Why are there so few elect?" and answering the question "Because not all are elect," is circular.

The reason so few are saved in comparison to those not-saved is because by grace God acted in His providence, choosing some from among the not-saved to be saved, and He did so based entirely on His will, His purpose, His might, and His work.

That much can be known. Other than that, He did not explain it all to any of us.

The real question is why does God even have to save anyone? God would have been in His right to condemn all people to Hell.
Yes of course. But what is wrong with a question?

Yes of course. But what is wrong with a question?
Nothing wrong with the question.
Can you answer my response question?

I see it something like this....there is a "pool" of people, so to speak.....everyone deserving to be judged for their wages of sin which is death.

But for some reason God has decided to save some of the people in the pool of people. Who? Why? I don't know.

Your salvation was Gods choice...Gods grace, mercy and compassion....not yours.

Of the specifying options listed the "Not all are the elect" is the best option but that's not really an explanation and it couches the matter in the human that's saved, not God. Therefore, some other reason is the correct answer. To be fair, the question asks, "Why are so few saved?" when, more accurately, the question should be something like, "Why does God save so few in comparison to those He does not save?" because the truth of scripture is that there will a multitude of the saved but, despite being a multitude, the saved will be those (comparatively) few that entered the narrow gate on the narrow road, whereas many more are those that go through the wider gate. Furthermore, salvation is God's, not ours. We often speak of "our salvation," and scripture certainly uses that language, but it always does so within the underlying foundation of salvation is the LORD's and He and He alone saves, and He does so at His own behest and not any prior condition of the one being saved. There's certainly no meritorious condition on our part explaining the reason for salvation (aside from the condition of sin from which the saved are saved). It has nothing to do with any issue of man. It is from the human condition that the saved are saved! God made the elect the elect. Therefore, to ask, "Why are there so few saved?" is to ask, "Why are there so few elect?" and answering the question "Because not all are elect," is circular.

The reason so few are saved in comparison to those not-saved is because by grace God acted in His providence, choosing some from among the not-saved to be saved, and He did so based entirely on His will, His purpose, His might, and His work.

That much can be known. Other than that, He did not explain it all to any of us.
And why would I have to say it more accuratly when I have yourself to do that?

I think the question was good enough. thought provoking even.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the question.
Can you answer my response question?

I see it something like this....there is a "pool" of people, so to speak.....everyone deserving to be judged for their wages of sin which is death.

But for some reason God has decided to save some of the people in the pool of people. Who? Why? I don't know.

Your salvation was Gods choice...Gods grace, mercy and compassion....not yours.
Your question is just another question. And the truth is, no one deserves it, it's all by grace.

And why would I have to say it more accuratly when I have yourself to do that?
Well, assuming that is asked in jest...

I didn't say the question had to be changed. Besides you have me (and others) as a reliable teammate to ensure questions get said more accurately. ;)
I think the question was good enough.
You might want to peruse the thread because by my count at least eight respondents to the op disagreed and rephrased the question in one way or another. At best the question is ambiguous and implicitly asserts few are saved (and, knowing your views as I do, I suspect that's not what you believe and therefore not what was intended to be communicated by the question).

Genesis 17:3-5
Abram fell on his face, and God talked with him, saying, "As for Me, behold, My covenant is with you, and you will be the father of a multitude of nations. "No longer shall your name be called Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; For I have made you the father of a multitude of nations.

Revelation 7:9-10
After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could count, from every nation and all tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, and palm branches were in their hands; and they cry out with a loud voice, saying, "Salvation to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb."

Revelation 19:1-2, 5-6
After this I heard what seemed to be the loud voice of a great multitude in heaven, crying out, “Hallelujah! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God, for his judgments are true and just; for he has judged the great prostitute who corrupted the earth with her immorality, and has avenged on her the blood of his servants.” ......And from the throne came a voice saying, “Praise our God, all you his servants, you who fear him, small and great.” Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great multitude, like the roar of many waters and like the sound of mighty peals of thunder, crying out, “Hallelujah! For the Lord our God the Almighty reigns.

Last time I checked a multitude was a lot of people. If the people in the verses above are saved, then their number is so large no one can count! This places the criticism of monergistic unconditional election in a specific context and one much different than God saving only a "few." :unsure:
thought provoking even.
It is. I believe the replies bear that out. :cool:

Scripture?
9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; Rev. 7:9.

And after these things I heard a great voice of much people in heaven, saying, Alleluia; Salvation, and glory, and honour, and power, unto the Lord our God: Rev. 19:1.

5 And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be. Gen. 15:5.

12 Therefore sprang there even of one, and him as good as dead, so many as the stars of the sky in multitude, and as the sand which is by the sea shore innumerable. Heb 11:12.

As has been said, "there are more of us than there are of them."

It will be the opposite. There will be billions more delivered than not delivered. I believe it will be a majority of all souls born into the world.
Scripture?
9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; Rev. 7:9.

And after these things I heard a great voice of much people in heaven, saying, Alleluia; Salvation, and glory, and honour, and power, unto the Lord our God: Rev. 19:1.

5 And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be. Gen. 15:5.

12 Therefore sprang there even of one, and him as good as dead, so many as the stars of the sky in multitude, and as the sand which is by the sea shore innumerable. Heb 11:12.

As has been said, "there are more of us than there are of them."
How do you reconcile Post #43's "billions more" with Jesus words in Matthew 7?

Matthew 7:13-14
Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

According to Jesus there is a comparison wherein few enter the "narrow" gate, but many enter the "wide" gate. Last time I checked "many" was more than "few." How do you reconcile Matthew 7:13-14 with Revelation 7:9 and 19:1 (verses to which I also appealed to show a multitude are saved). The multitude found in heaven in Revelation is so large no one can count it (except, presumably, God) but it still the few in contrast to the many entering the wide gate that leads to destruction. How do you reconcile the claim of "billions more"??

Also, how do you reconcile the assertion the majority of all souls born into the world will be saved with you view Gentiles do not have a covenant with God and the scriptures were written by Jews to Jews about Jews? Is it your expectation the majority of all souls will convert to Judaism and then Christ? According to everything you've ever posted in this forum, most of the souls born into this world have no covenant with God and nothing salvific in scripture was written to or about them. Can you clarify that?

Your question is just another question. And the truth is, no one deserves it, it's all by grace.
So, what's the answer to your question? Why do so few receive grace and are saved?

Does it depend upon which side of the tracks tey grew up on?
Does it depend on who there parents are?
Does it depend upon what church they went to?
Does it depend on who their high school teacher was?
Does it depend on whether or not they heard Billy Graham once or twice?
Does it depend on their IQ?

Why do some people choose Jesus and other not choose Jesus?

How do you reconcile Post #43's "billions more" with Jesus words in Matthew 7?

Matthew 7:13-14
Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

According to Jesus there is a comparison wherein few enter the "narrow" gate, but many enter the "wide" gate. Last time I checked "many" was more than "few." How do you reconcile Matthew 7:13-14 with Revelation 7:9 and 19:1 (verses to which I also appealed to show a multitude are saved). The multitude found in heaven in Revelation is so large no one can count it (except, presumably, God) but it still the few in contrast to the many entering the wide gate that leads to destruction. How do you reconcile the claim of "billions more"??
This seeming contradiction I already answered back in reply #6. The "narrow gate" analogy was spoken about Christ's own first-century generation of ethnic Israelites. As you remember, Christ said "I am not sent but to the lost sheep of the house of Israel". During Christ's ministry, His message was predominantly to His own people, with exceptions here and there like the Canaanite woman and the Samaritan woman being helped. And as you know, this evangelistic emphasis had changed by the time Christ gave His disciples the "great commission" to go into all the world with the gospel message before He finally ascended.

But John 1:11 tells us that "He came unto His own, and His own received Him not." For the most part, those ethnic Jews of Christ's own first-century generation did not receive His message. A relatively small "remnant" of those ethnic Jews of the first century did accept Him. Paul mentioned this same "remnant" that "at the present time" was believing in Christ, "according to the election of grace" (Romans 11:5). This "remnant" of believing Jews in that first-century generation were the reason why Christ mentioned "the narrow gate" with "few" who were entering it.

But we cannot take this isolated case of the minority percentage of first-century ethnic Jews' and that generation's "narrow gate" and "few" of them that received Christ and then generically apply that isolated case to all of mankind from beginning to end. That is not the way that scripture presents the progress of the kingdom of heaven in this world. The parables of the leaven, the mustard seed, and the "stone" kingdom's all-pervasive growth show us otherwise than this OP is presenting.

"Why are so few saved?" is the wrong question. We should ask "Why were so few of the first-century Jews saved?" Isaiah 29:10 answers this. "God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear." That was the case for first-century Israelites, but it is not the case for the entirety of humanity as a whole.

Last edited:
I apologize, I thought you were Patience.

but I still think your practice of addressing the poster without being clear is passive aggressiveness.

Not so good Christian thing to do.
Alert. I am often passive aggressive.

Now that we have that out of the way... WHO is Patience?

Is that clear enough?

Back