• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Where does the Pope get his authority?

Hobie

Senior
Reaction score
As at best he only has a claim to be a bishop elected by a city as nowhere does Scripture state that the authority the Pope claims was passed on to him. Well, the authority of the Pope is not from scripture, but can be shown to be from another origin and authority. The College of Cardinals, with the Pope given authority at its head, is just the counterpart of the Pagan College of Pontiffs, with its "Pontifex Maximus," or "Sovereign Pontiff," which had existed in Rome from the earliest times, and which is known to have been framed on the model of the grand original Council of Pontiffs at Babylon.

The College of Pontiffs (Collegium Pontificum) came from the religion of the original Council of Pontiffs at Babylon, was then established in ancient Rome and the Pontifex Maximus (Latin, literally: "greatest pontiff") again established as the high priest of the pagan religion. This was the most important position in the ancient Roman religion as it had been in Babylon.

One of the things history show about the ascendancy of the papacy is that the church of Rome promotes the pope as the "Pontifex Maximus" or, Supreme Pontiff. The title Pontifex Maximus is mentioned numerous times by the early church fathers (particularly by Tertullian), but it was not applied to a Christian bishop. The early church fathers say that the Pontifex Maximus was the "King of Heathendom", the high priest of the pagan mystery religion of Rome. The Pontifex Maximus was an imperial office, usually held by the Emperor himself, which made one the "chief priest" of the Roman "state cult."

In 63 B.C., Julius Caesar had himself elected Supreme Pontiff and became emperor of Rome and vested the office of Roman emperor with the priestly powers and functions of the Babylonian Pontiff (Babylon Mystery Religion, p. 80). Augustus kept the tradition of the combined offices, and the title Pontifex Maximus was used by the Roman Caesars as illustrated on a Roman coin depicting the image of Augustus Caesar (27 B.C.-14 A.D.) with his title "Pont. Max.," which is an abbreviation of Pontifex Maximus. It is well known that Domitian required himself to be addressed as dominus et deus [';Lord and God']. (Hemer, The Letters to the Seven Churches of Asia in Their Local Setting, 85-86.) The Roman title "Pontifex Maximus" was rendered in Greek inscriptions and literature of the time as "#7936;#961;#967;#953;#949;#961;#949;#973;#962;". literally, "high priest or by a more literal translation and order of words as "#7936;#961;#967;#953;#949;#961;#949;#8058;#962; #956;#941;#947;#953;#963;#964;#959;#962;", literally, "greatest high priest".

Thus, the Roman emperors, like the preceding Babylonian emperors, now served as priests of Babylonian paganism, and bore the title Pontifex Maximus. One of the prominent features we find in Revelation is a prophetic picture of the revival of ancient Babylonian system of worship, and here we see a form which came into the center of the Empire. When Rome conquered the world, the sun worship of Mirthism and the Mystery Religions of ancient Babylon that had spread and developed in various nations, was merged into the religious system of Rome. The Roman emperors (including Constantine) continued to hold the office of Pontifex Maximus during this time. Constantine through he claimed to have been a Christian remained the pagan high priest the Supreme Pontiff, paid homage to the sun god on the official coinage and sought the support of the pagan masses and aristocracy of Rome. This signified a real claim to control the church as well as the state, and Constantine chaired the critical Church Council of Nicaea in 325. It was not until the Empire split in two, with the Western Empire going to Emperor Gratian in 360 AD, that he was persuaded to give up the position of the pagan high priest and return it to the bishop of Rome who was given the title Pontifex Maximus. Thus the title Pontifex Maximus can be traced in an unbroken line all the way to Babylon and its system of worship.

Isa 22:21-22
21 And I will clothe him with thy robe, and strengthen him with thy girdle, and I will commit thy government into his hand: and he shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah.

22 And the key of the house of David will I lay upon his shoulder; so he shall open, and none shall shut; and he shall shut, and none shall open.

Matt 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

From Christ

Christ gave Peter the keys of authority.
I think you need to read the Bible and see who is the 'Rock'...

1Samuel 2:2 There is none holy as the LORD (Jehovah): for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God.

2 Samuel 22:2 And he said, The LORD (Jehovah) is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer;

Deuteronomy 32:4 He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.

Psalms 18:31 For who [is] God save the LORD (Jehovah)? or who [is] a rock save our God?

Matthew 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

Matthew 7:25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

Luke 20:17 And he beheld them, and said, What is this then that is written, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner?

Luke 20:18 Whosoever shall fall upon that stone shall be broken; but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.

Note: Jesus is the Rock, His work is perfect, for all His ways are Judgment, A God of truth (He is the truth; John 14:6), Jesus is without iniquity (Hebrews 4:15), just and right is He.

1 Corinthians 10:4
And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

And we see that Peter was called something that was not..

Matthew 16:23
But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

and when you read Mt 16, you will notice who received the keys of the kingdom.... Pierre!!!
The same Peter our brother in the lord that rebuked our living God and forbid the Son of man from doing the will of the Holy Father, Holy See

Why not choose to elect the apostle John rather than Peter the serial denie. Who decided on that idea ?

What did our brother in the lord Peter learn as a object lesson. . Use the right key called the gospel?

Not the counterfeit key that unlocks by dying flesh and blood . .

Mathew 16: 22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

What do you think the lesson above is infallibly informing us ?

He warns us of the false teachers, false apostles sent from earth and not heaven above. that they would seduce us to believe that you need dying mankind to teach them and not the promised Holy Spirit .

Beautiful parable below using the temporal things seen to give us a living hope beyond the grave.

I think we should heed the warning of the false apostles sent with false prophecy the oral traditions of dying mankind ..

1 John 2:26-29 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him. And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming. If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.

Serve the dying hands as a will of mankind or eternal living God will?

Today. . .Which one good teaching master as our invisible Lord ?

Sola scriptura all things writen in the law and prophets or called Moses and Elias (the living word)

Or I heard it through the legion of fathers grape vine as oral traditions of dying mankind ?.

The same Peter our brother in the lord that rebuked our living God and forbid the Son of man from doing the will of the Holy Father, Holy See
and he still received the keys -- why fight the obvious?
Why not choose to elect the apostle John rather than Peter
You should pray to God and ask Him about that. Why do you deny the obvious?
Use the right key called the gospel?
Use the left key and it is the kingdom of heaven. ;)
He warns us of the false teachers,
Yes, those that came after His Catholic Church.

and he still received the keys -- why fight the obvious?

The obvious is shown by the fruit it produces Good lesson how walk by faith the unseen eternal thing of God not by sight as those who like Peter sought after a sign before they would believe. Peter was one like Nicodemus they made Jesus into a circus seal demanding work a miracle then when we see we will believe (Faithless)

Mathew 16:22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee. But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

We can look to the foundation the whole Chapter that teaches us not trust in dying mankind called fathers rather than sola scriptura the things of God . Peter seemed to be a slow learner over and over he denied the Father forbid the Son from doing the work (the unseen things of God )

Calling that the key. . .which did the opposite "unlocked the gates of hell" Peter our brother in the lord was forgiven of his blasphemy against the Son of man Jesus no forgiveness against Eternal Father

Note. . (my personal comments )

Mathew 16:11-18 How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees? Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.(the oral traditions of dying mankind another teaching master or than sola scriptura ) When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?And (flesh and blood ) Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed (the not l blesser) art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, ( Peter forgot he was flesh and blood as a god or called patron saints coming down in the likeness of men .the lying wonder ) but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it

The it used twice is clearly the faith or labour Christ the gospel not flesh and blood Peter dying mankind

Was Peter of flesh and blood if so then who did reveal it to Peter? Is Peter the Father that Jesus called Father has revealed it?

Peter self-revealing (Blasphemy) God alone is self revealing (let there be and it was good) not a legion of dying fathers as oral tradition of man

Who revled to Peter he would dny Chrsit thre times then again ind john 21

Back