• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

The Covenant of Grace

Carbon

Admin
Reaction score
Faith
Reformed
Country
USA
Marital status
Married
Politics
Conservative
The Covenant of Grace.

I have made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn unto David my servant,
Psalm 89:3.

And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit. 1 Corinthians 15:45

The first covenant was made without a priest because then there was no sin to take away; the parties therein represented, as well as the representative, were considered as innocent persons.

But the second covenant was a covenant of peace and reconciliation between an offended God and sinners, not to be made but by the mediation of a priest, who should be able to remove sin and repair the injured honor of God: Even he shall build the temple of the Lord; and he shall bear the glory, and shall sit and rule upon his throne; and he shall be a priest upon his throne: and the counsel of peace shall be between them both. Zech 6:13.

And there was none fit to bear that character but Christ himself. No man was fit to bear it; because all men were sinners themselves, and such a high priest became us, as of undefiled, separated from sinners: For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens; Heb 7:26.

The covenant of grace which could not be made with sinners, was made with Christ, the last Adam, their Head, and representative, mediating between God and man

Christ was in the covenant of grace Israel-representative, according to: And said unto me, Thou art my servant, O Israel, in whom I will be glorified. Isaiah 49:3.
Now, Israel, the collective body, is the elect: Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel: Romans 9:6.
Therefore the elect were the party represented and contracted for in the covenant. So those who Christ took with him into the bbond of the covenant, are described to be the seed of Abraham: For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham. Heb 2:16.

And there was none fit to bear that character but Christ himself. No man was fit to bear it; ... etc.

Right. John 1:17 says nothing about grace comes from the Father through the Son. It does mention that the new covenant established in grace and that was through Jesus Christ himself (Romans 1:5 "through him we receive grace..."). John compares Moses with Christ to demonstrate two different covenants of law and grace. In the old covenant the law was given to Moses by God. While in the new covenant there is a whole entire system and structure. Which this grace wasn't given to Christ by God like how the law was given to Moses. Rather, he came from the Father, already in or in possession of, FULL OF GRACE. After all, he is that selfsame gracious God and we receive that unlimited grace THROUGH his fullness according to the Divine Nature.

The covenant of grace was made with Christ as the last Adam, head, and representative of his spiritual seed not with man.

Christ was in the covenant of grace Israel- representative, according to: And said unto me, Thou art my servant, O Israel, in whom I will be glorified. Isaiah 49:3.

Now Israel, the collective body is the elect: Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel: Romans 9:6.

So those who Christ took with him into the bond of his covenant, are described to be the seed of Abraham: For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham. Heb 2:16.

It does not teach that Christ took hold of the seed of Adam, that is, all mankind; but of the seed of Abraham. That is, all the elect, or the spiritual Isreal called the house of Jacob,
And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end. Luke 1:33.

Back