• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

The church and scripture!

donadams

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s impossible to reject the church from the scriptures cos the church wrote the New Testament!

The church decided what is and what is not scripture!

The scriptures support the church!

The church alone can give interpretation of scripture!

Christ and His church are one inseparable unity! Acts 9:4 Jn 15:5 acts 1:8 eph 5:24 eph 5:32

To reject the apostolic church and divine and catholic doctrine is to reject Christ who founded the church and revealed the truth!

Only Christ has authority to establish the church! Matt 16:18-19
One church! Jn 10:16 All others are sects “full of errors” “the tradition of men”! The new covenant Church is the eternal city of God! Household of faith! The pillar and ground of TRUTH! 1 Tim 3:15 Founded by Christ alone! Matt 16:18 on Peter and the apostles! Eph 2:20

The church is of divine origin and cannot be corrupted or reformed by the tradition of men! Truth is immutable!

The church the only ark of salvation, the household of faith and is not spiritual to the exclusion of the physical or invisible to the exclusion of the visible but, visible, invisible, spiritual, physical, and supernatural of divine origin and therefore divine preservation! Matt 16:18-19 Jn 8:32 Jn 16:13 Jn 10:16

Visible and invisible
Spiritual and physical
And supernatural the means of grace and the ark of salvation!

A city set on a hill: Matt 5:14
Light of the world: Matt 5:14
Pillar of truth: 1 Tim 3:15
Teach and sanctify all men: Matt 28:19

Unity of faith!

Four Marks of the True Church founded by Jesus Christ on Peter, the apostles, and their successors!

One, holy, catholic (universal) and apostolic (succeeding from Christ, Peter and the apostles)

The apostolic church was founded and existed and exercised authority in teaching, governance, and sanctifying souls before the New Testament was written!

The apostolic church does not require the scriptures to know the truth!

The apostolic church wrote the scripture!

The apostolic church was taught by Christ in person for three years!

The apostolic church was founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles!
Matt 16:28-19 & 18:18 Jn 20:21 eph 2:20

Christ founded the apostolic church to teach and sanctify all men unto eternal salvation! Matt 28:19

The scripture says many of the same things of the apostolic church as it does Christ!

Light of the world: Jn 8:12 / Matt 5:14
Hear: Matt 17:5 acts 3:22 / Matt 18:17
Authority: Matt 28:17 / Jn 20:21
Reconciliation: 2 cor 5:19 / 2 cor 5:18
Forgive sins: Lk 5:20 / Jn 20:23

Truth: Jn 14:6 / 1 Tim 3:15

Jesus Christ and His church are one acts 9:4 eph 5:32 and the only means of salvation! Matt 28:19

Jesus Christ extends his mission, power, and authority to His church of His apostles! The apostles have the same mission, ministry, power, and authority as Christ! Jn 20:21 as the father sent me, so I send you!

Even His judging!
Matt 19:28 and 1 cor 6:2
His teaching authority!
Matt 28:19 and Jn 20:21
His power to forgive sins!
Jn 20:23
Jn 17:22 / rom 2:10 / 1 pet 1:7 Christ shares His glory with His saints!
His being the light of the world!
Matt 5:14
Must hear church Matt 18:18
His ministry of reconciliation!
2 cor 5:18
His authority in governing the church and administering the kingdom!
Matt 16:18-19 & 18:18 Jn 21:17
Lk 22:29
Apart from me you can do nothing. Jn 15:5
Acts 2:42 doctrine of the apostles!
So the church is subject to Christ!
Eph 5:24
Christ shares His glory! 2 thes 1:10 rev 12:1

The pillar and foundation of TRUTH!
1 Tim 3:15

The TWO EDGE SWORD!
To proclaim the truth! Matt 28:19
To condemn error! 1 cor 16:22

Jesus Christ founded the new covenant church for the salvation of all men! (Jn 1:16-17) Christ is the truth! (Jn 14:6) Christ and his church are one!
(Acts 9;4 Jn 15:1 eph 5:32)
The church is the pillar of truth
(1 Tim 3:15) that must teach all men (Matt 28:19) without error guided by the Holy Spirit
(Jn 16:13) Thru the grace of God in the sanctification of souls applied in the seven sacraments!

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Matt 18:17 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 acts 9:4 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20 acts 2:42
1 Tim 3:15

Fundamentalism drives a wedge between Christ and his church, separates Christ from His kingdom, and the authority of Christ from the new covenant!

1 Corinthians 16:22
If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema

Extends to the truth and the church

Cos Christ is the truth and His church teaches the truth without error! Jn 14:6 matt 28:19 matt 18:17 1 Tim 3:15 Jn 29:21-23 Jn 16:13

Christ and His church are one: Acts 9:4 mystical communion: eph 5:32

Authority of the Apostles!

What authority does Christ have?
What power does Christ have?
What mission / ministry does Christ have?

Peter, the apostles and their successors have the same authority, power, and mission! Jn 20:21 as my father sent me, even so send I you!

John 17:18
As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.

The apostles are Christ’s successors!
They have authority to send others as well, apostle means one who is sent!

Therefore the apostles have authority to send more apostles or successors!
Apostolic succession!

The nations still need to be taught, disciples still need to be baptized and the church the new covenant kingdom of christ still needs to be governed!

Hebrews 3:1
Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

Christ is an apostle, and has authority to send other apostles, the apostles also have this authority, so the apostles continue down thru the centuries as Christ promised! Matt 28:19-20 acts 1:8

Keys of authority! And power to bind and loose! Matt 16:18 and Matt 18:18 matt 28:19 Isa 22:21-22

Moral authority:
(Teaching)
Necessity of being taught by Christ:
Two edge sword: defining truth and condemning errors, and Interpreting scripture.

Jurisdictional authority:
(Governing / administering)
Necessity of Peter and the apostles and their successors to govern the holy church.

Spiritual authority:
(Life of Grace)
Sanctifying thru the mass and Sacraments

The apostles teaching is Christ’s teaching, Christ and His church are one! Acts 9:4

Christian rule of faith is not the Bible alone! But the doctrine of the apostles! Acts 2:42

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20

It’s impossible to reject the church from the scriptures cos the church wrote the New Testament!
The Church did not write the "New Testament" Scripture. Jewish Christians individually wrote it (Matthew, James, John, Peter, Saul, etc.)
And they wrote it to other Jewish Christians in the various Jewish churches which they were addressed to scattered throughout Israel and Asia Minor and Rome and the other places where a Jewish church was founded by Jewish Christians.
Gentile believers in the 4th century got together and decided what would be included in the "New Testament" canon. The "Old Testament" was already a 'closed book' of Hebrew writings by Hebrew persons TO and FOR the Hebrew people which were in covenant with God - also known as the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. They contain everything Hebrew/Jewish. Even prophecies of their Jewish Messiah.
Actually, the Scriptures support God.
Not true. God gave His Word to His Covenant people Israel. They are mandated to not only hear and read His Word (Scriptures) but to understand them and there is infrequent need to "interpret" His Word when given clearly and easy to understand.

4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:
5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:
7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
8 And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes.
9 And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.
Dt 6:3–9.

Fathers are to teach their families and especially their children what was taught and instructed by God in His Word. Notice the extent of communication God's people are to have among themselves in talking about God and His ways and His person. It's a 24/7 proposition and command. Fathers are to teach their families and basically there would be no need for interpretation. God means what He says, and God says what He means, without ambiguity, without confusion. Fathers are to instruct their families in the things of God, NOT the church.

Incorrect.

God wrote God's word and God's word encompasses both Old and New Testaments.
Incorrect.

God decided the canon and He did so as a Divine act of responsible sovereignty by illuminating His will in the lives of prayerful, devout individual humans working together un the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.
Ype.

But scripture does not always support the denominational versions of the Church. That is true of ALL denominations.
That's just dumb.

If that were the case than it would be impossible for anyone of an island to (correctly) understand the contents of a Bible that washed up on the shore. Not one of the inhabitants could possibly understand the nature of God, Jesus, or salvation. the reason revelation is provided is for the purpose of it being understood. Can errors occur? Yes, but the possibility of error does NOT preclude the possibility of correct understanding. Bad, bad logic.

And if your church taught you that then that is evidence scripture does not always support your church. If, alternatively, your church does not actually state your church alone can "give" interpretation then your church is okay, but you are not.

Bad op.

It’s impossible to reject the church from the scriptures cos the church wrote the New Testament! The church decided what is and what is not scripture! The scriptures support the church! The church alone can give interpretation of scripture!

The Church did not write the "New Testament" Scripture. Jewish Christians individually wrote it (Matthew, James, John, Peter, Saul, etc.)
And they wrote it to other Jewish Christians in the various Jewish churches which they were addressed to scattered throughout Israel and Asia Minor and Rome and the other places where a Jewish church was founded by Jewish Christians.
LOL! 😀😃😄😆😆😆

This is hilarious. A Roman Catholic and a Dispensational Zionist debating "The Church and Scripture" from two extremely biased and irreconcilable positions.

(josh pulls up a chair to watch)

Christ and his church are one! Acts 9:4 eph 5:32 Jn 15:5

LOL! 😀😃😄😆😆😆

This is hilarious. A Roman Catholic and a Dispensational Zionist debating "The Church and Scripture" from two extremely biased and irreconcilable positions.

(josh pulls up a chair to watch)
The church existed and exercised authority before the NT was written

I think that any who have read or engaged in conversation with you are aware that every time to say church you mean the Catholic denomination, and every time you say apostle you mean a succession of apostles, the Catholic hierarchy, with the preminance of the pope.

Not only is this not true, and the claim of its untruthfulness has been repeatedly shown by scripture, and by numerous people presenting those scriptures with support of scripture and with exegesis and exposition of them; but you have never established the truthfulness and validity of your claims for the Catholic religion. And you never will, because it can't be done, since it is false and therefore Scripture cannot support it.

So until that is done, nothing you say from the premise of Christ's church being only the Catholic religion (which is what it is, a denomination/religion, and not any kind of authority except unto itself and over itself) has any substantiated merit. It is nothing more than the doctrines and traditions of men, which Jesus scoffs at and warns against, often. He even goes so far as to say, "Many will say to me Lord, Lord, did we not---" and He will reply, "I never knew you."

ROTFLMBO!!!

False dichotomy. If the Church is Christ and his body then the Church existed long before the revelation of the Church was revealed, and even were that not the case the Church and the New Testament are not mutually exclusive conditions. The word of God is logs, incarnate, and rhema and the three never contradict one another and never exist apart from one another. Furthermore, conflating the canon with God's word is misguided. The New Testament was written long before the canon was decided and every single time you conflate the two either an ignorance of the difference or a paucity of logic (or both) is demonstrated.
That is an abjectly foolish comment on its face. The number and nature of erroneous (some of them completely thoughtless) comments is growing evidence of idolatry, (placing something other than God ahead of God). No one's allegiance to their denomination can be greater than their allegiance to God, and attributing to men the things of the Spirit borders on the unforgivable sin.

You are putting this in writing.

I, therefore, encourage you to be more circumspect, thoughtful and intentional with the words used, and more consistent with whole scripture rather than any denominational doctrine. The Church did not exist before the NT was written.

2 Corinthians 3:2-3
You are our letter, written in our hearts, known and read by all men; being manifested that you are a letter of Christ, cared for by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.

The Church existed while the NT was written, and it was not men who wrote it. God wrote the NT using the hands of Spirit-filled, Spirit-empowered, and Spirit-directed individuals. Since there is a direct line from the OT's qahal to the NT's ecclesia, the Church existed prior to the writing of the NT. The Church is the testimony, the revelation, the word of God.

Take my two posts and print them up and take them to your priest. Ask him to verify for you what portion (all, some, or none) is correct AND explicitly give him permission to speak to you honestly, plainly, forthcomingly without defensiveness or adversarial response on your part. If you will not take my word for it then take his. When you are done with him, ask two other elders or persons whose views you respect. You are wrong here, don, and some of the statements here do not reconcile with the RCC's own teachings. You're not being a good RC here. Go look at my op reply (Post #5). I purposely did NOT mention your RCCism and I purposefully did not do so because I did NOT want to make our exchange about RCCism versus the rest of Christendom. That is what you do (and you should tell your priest that is what you do every time you come into the forum). I tried t keep this principled and non sectarian but we all know that your entire existence in this forum is only and always about your imposing RCCism on everyone, and doing so without respect for others - even where the RCC has articulated and demonstrated sincere and genuine regard for others.

The is op is a bad op and it has nothing to do with our denominational differences.

• God wrote the Bible, not men.
  • There is a difference between the scriptures and the canon of scripture; the two should not be conflated.
  • The portion of the decided canon that was done by men occurred solely by God's design, ofr God's purpose and solely through the inspiration and empowerment of God.
  • Taking credit for God's work is blasphemous (it kept Moses out of the promised land).
  • The Church, whether it be defined as Christ, the qahal/ecclesia, or the institutional organization did not exist before the writings of the New Testament.
  • False dichotomies are always and everywhere fallacious.
  • Scripture does not support any errors found in any Church or denomination thereof.
  • If the Church were the only institution that could "give" interpretation, then no one on any island could or would ever benefit from reading a Bible washing up on the shore. Taking credit for God's work is blasphemous.
  • The RCC no longer denies the existence of other "churches" in the Church.
  • The RCC agrees with every single point in this list, and I can provide evidence from RCC sources proving it.

The only proper response is a proven refutation or a concession to these facts. You've done neither. Your first attempt was to ADD to the falsehoods being posted. You know how I do things. I will give you three chances.

Titus 3:9-11
But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned.

I will affirm that which is correct, inquire about that which is not clear (or I do not understand) and refute that which does not bear consistency with God's word (or RCCism or your own posts). That has always been my practice. Despite our differences that is what you have seen and upon which you can rely. Be wiser in this op. This thread is still on its first page. You know as well as I do as others enter the dissent will increase. Sadly, much of it will be sectarian RCC-ragging and not about the substance of the posts' content. Coming into a Protestant forum you know to be heavily populated with overtly Reformed members speaks of latent masochism ;).

For that reason, I encourage you to post some of these ops of yours (like this one) in one or two Catholic forums because I am confident your Catholic siblings will agree with me and help you sort out these mistaken beliefs and improve your posting here. It's not personal (at least not for me). These are simply poorly thought out and poorly worded ops that could easily be improved. Words matter.

Back