• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

On Being Unequally Yoked

jeremiah1five

BIBLICAL CHRISTIANITY
Reaction score
Country
USA
The Abrahamic Covenant, found in Genesis 12, 15, and 17, is an unconditional promise made by God to Abraham and his descendants. Key aspects include the promise of land, descendants, and blessings.

1. Jewish Husband and Gentile Wife:
    • Jewish Husband: The Jewish husband is a physical descendant of Abraham and a beneficiary of the covenant promises. His identity and obligations under the covenant remain intact.
    • Gentile Wife: The Gentile wife, by marrying a Jewish man, does not automatically become a part of the Abrahamic covenant. However, she may choose to convert to Judaism, thereby adopting the faith and practices of her husband, including the Abraham blessings and obligations.
  2. Gentile Husband and Jewish Wife:
    • Jewish Wife: The Jewish wife, as a descendant of Abraham, retains her covenant identity and obligations. Her Jewish heritage is matrilineal, meaning her children would also be considered Jewish according to traditional Jewish law.
    • Gentile Husband: The Gentile husband does not become part of the Abrahamic covenant by marriage alone. However, he can convert to Judaism, thereby embracing the Abraham promises and obligations without being in covenant.

Mosaic Covenant

The Mosaic Covenant, given to the Israelites at Mount Sinai (Exodus 19-24), includes the Law (Torah), which encompasses moral, ceremonial, and civil laws. God commands His covenant people the Hebrews against marrying non-Hebrew Gentiles. This command is extended to the Jewish Church under the New Covenant. God cares nothing about non-Hebrew Gentiles marrying non-Hebrew Gentiles.

1. Jewish Husband and Gentile Wife:
    • Jewish Husband: He is bound by the Mosaic Law and expected to follow its commandments. His household, including his wife, would be influenced by these practices and laws.
    • Gentile Wife: While not automatically bound by the Mosaic Law, she would be expected to respect and possibly participate in Jewish customs and laws as part of the household. Conversion to Judaism would fully integrate her into the commonwealth community (citizenship) without being in covenant.
  2. Gentile Husband and Jewish Wife:
    • Jewish Wife: She remains bound by the Mosaic Law and expected to observe its commandments. Her adherence to these laws would influence her household, including her husband.
    • Gentile Husband: He is not bound by the Mosaic Law unless he chooses to convert to Judaism. However, living in a Jewish household may involve participating in Jewish customs and laws without being in covenant.

Practical Implications

• Conversion: In both scenarios, the Gentile spouse has the option to convert to Judaism, which would integrate them fully into the Jewish covenantal framework, including both Abrahamic and Mosaic blessings.
  • Household Practices: The Jewish spouse's adherence to the Mosaic Law would influence the household's religious practices, dietary laws, Sabbath observance, and participation in Jewish festivals and rituals.
  • Children: In traditional Jewish law, the children of a Jewish mother are considered Jewish, regardless of the father's status. If the mother is Gentile, the children would need to undergo formal conversion to be recognized as Jewish.

Summary

• Jewish Husband and Gentile Wife: The wife may adopt Jewish practices and consider conversion. The household will follow Jewish laws and customs with the Gentile wife not being in covenant.
  • Gentile Husband and Jewish Wife: The wife will follow Jewish laws, influencing the household. The husband may adopt some practices and consider conversion with the Gentile husband not being in covenant.
God commands purity in the Hebrew family and God commands purity in the Jewish Church under the New Covenant. God cares nothing about non-Hebrew Gentile marriages to non-Hebrews Gentiles.

For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.

What the Bible refers to in 2 Corinthians 6:14, as "unequally yoked", is believer with unbeliever —not Jew with Gentile.

For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.
True. And being that the Hebrew covenants were made by God to and for the Hebrews then these "Greeks" cannot mean ONLY GREEKS can know the Lord. What about the Italians or the Egyptians? Are they excluded and ONLY GREEKS are made to drink of one Spirit?

No, these "Greeks" represent a mixed offspring people of Jews and Gentiles. As long as they have Hebrew blood in their ancestry, they are Abraham's seed and IN COVENANT with God. And God keeps His Promises. The Hebrews were scattered four times in their history by God. Of course there was to be Jew-Gentile unions. And as long as Abraham's DNA in in their family history and their names are in the book of life, God will save them at the appointed time according to election.

(As an aside), Why in Israel is the woman's blood line the determining factor in determining whether one is Jewish or not, yet in God's Word it seems to be through the man's?

(As an aside), Why in Israel is the woman's blood line the determining factor in determining whether one is Jewish or not, yet in God's Word it seems to be through the man's?
In a Hebrew patriarchy any union between two Hebrews the "blood line" is established through the husband/man.
In a mixed union between Gentile husband and Hebrew woman it is established through the Hebrew wife/woman.
And although God commands against making any covenant with non-Hebrew Gentiles this contingency exists as much as the contingency existing upon Adam and the woman with God knowing they would sin. And He knew they would disobey and sin against Him because they were created sinful. He knew they would intermarry (including slavery, concubinage, and other survival factors) because He knows 'what is in man.'

True. And being that the Hebrew covenants were made by God to and for the Hebrews then these "Greeks" cannot mean ONLY GREEKS can know the Lord. What about the Italians or the Egyptians? Are they excluded and ONLY GREEKS are made to drink of one Spirit?

No, these "Greeks" represent a mixed offspring people of Jews and Gentiles. As long as they have Hebrew blood in their ancestry, they are Abraham's seed and IN COVENANT with God. And God keeps His Promises. The Hebrews were scattered four times in their history by God. Of course there was to be Jew-Gentile unions. And as long as Abraham's DNA in in their family history and their names are in the book of life, God will save them at the appointed time according to election.
Jesus showed the “We are Abraham’s descendants” argument doesn't work with Him.

Jesus showed the “We are Abraham’s descendants” argument doesn't work with Him.
It certainly does and Jesus is their greatest supporter.

21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
Mt 1:21.

24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
Mt 15:24.

Jesus was very ethnic. The focus of His visit was to the children of Israel who was a son of Isaac who was a son of Abraham. God wants us to know His origin and His upbringing and the purpose of His visit: To deliverer and save the lost sheep of the House of Israel.
Why do you reject this Word of Christ?

21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Jesus was very ethnic. The focus of His visit was to the children of Israel who was a son of Isaac who was a son of Abraham. God wants us to know His origin and His upbringing and the purpose of His visit: To deliverer and save the lost sheep of the House of Israel.
Why do you reject this Word of Christ?
Dude, other people who are not Jews can be saved. You say they can't.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Jewish Husband and Gentile Wife:
  • Jewish Husband: The Jewish husband is a physical descendant of Abraham and a beneficiary of the covenant promises. His identity and obligations under the covenant remain intact.
  • Gentile Wife: The Gentile wife, by marrying a Jewish man, does not automatically become a part of the Abrahamic covenant. However, she may choose to convert to Judaism, thereby adopting the faith and practices of her husband, including the Abraham blessings and obligations.
Husband Christ our invisible head .

Eternal God is not a Jewish man as King of kings and Lord or lords .

In Acts he renamed his bride previously before the first century reformation Israel meaning mankind wrestles against flesh and blood and over comes evil empowered by God the invisible head . Name her Christian in Acts . A more befitting name to name the bride of all the nations Literally meaning "residents f the city of Christ" .prepared for his wife the church. . . named after its founder and husband Christ.

I would think the perfect name. . all the tribes as families of the world the gospel explosion. Fulfilling his promise when two or three gather together under the authority of his living word as it is written he is there teaching comforting us

In a Hebrew patriarchy any union between two Hebrews the "blood line" is established through the husband/man.
And Boaz and Ruth (a Moabitess)?, through whom David and Jesus came

You have simply given a very narrow interpretation to "his people" by ignoring who Scripture, which cannot be broken, says are His people.

John 1:29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

You see, God's redemption was not dealing with any particular ethnic group, but with the whole world that He created for men to dwell in.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Acts 10:34-35 So Peter
(a Jew) opened his mouth and said: "Truly I understand that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him. Perhaps it is time you learned what Peter, the Jew, learned. You have no excuse. It s right before your eyes. Stop calling God a liar.

Romans 2:9-11 There will be tribulation an distress for every human being who does evil, the Jew first and also the Greek, but glory and honor and peace for everyone who does good, the Jew first and also the Greek. For God shows no partiality.

John 10:24-30 So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, "How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly."
" Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not among m sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give the eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand, My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one."
These are the ones who are His people,

16. And I have other sheep not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.

Eph 2:11-16 Therefore remember that at one time you Gentiles in the flesh, called "the uncircumcision" which is made in the flesh by hands----remember that you were at that time separated from Christ, alienated from the Commonwealth of Israel and strangers of the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace, and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross, thereby killing the hostility.

Can you see how ungodly and unscriptual your claims are? Can you see how they decimate and deny the work of Christ on the cross? Can you see how you call God and His Christ raciest, and salvation ethnically based in the very face of His declaring He is not and it is not?

Are these lost sheep of the house of Israel, gentiles??? Your uses of references here are contradicting each other.

You have simply given a very narrow interpretation to "his people" by ignoring who Scripture, which cannot be broken, says are His people.

John 1:29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

You see, God's redemption was not dealing with any particular ethnic group, but with the whole world that He created for men to dwell in.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Acts 10:34-35 So Peter
(a Jew) opened his mouth and said: "Truly I understand that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him. Perhaps it is time you learned what Peter, the Jew, learned. You have no excuse. It s right before your eyes. Stop calling God a liar.

Romans 2:9-11 There will be tribulation an distress for every human being who does evil, the Jew first and also the Greek, but glory and honor and peace for everyone who does good, the Jew first and also the Greek. For God shows no partiality.

John 10:24-30 So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, "How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly."
" Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not among m sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give the eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand, My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one."
These are the ones who are His people,

16. And I have other sheep not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.

Eph 2:11-16 Therefore remember that at one time you Gentiles in the flesh, called "the uncircumcision" which is made in the flesh by hands----remember that you were at that time separated from Christ, alienated from the Commonwealth of Israel and strangers of the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace, and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross, thereby killing the hostility.

Can you see how ungodly and unscriptual your claims are? Can you see how they decimate and deny the work of Christ on the cross? Can you see how you call God and His Christ raciest, and salvation ethnically based in the very face of His declaring He is not and it is not?
"Kosmos" is used of the Universe as a whole: Acts 17: 24 - "God that made the world and all things therein seeing that He is Lord of heaven and earth." is used of the Universe as a whole.

"Kosmos" is used of the earth: John 13:1; Eph. 1:4, etc. "When Jesus knew that his hour was come that He should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved His own which were in the world He loved them unto the end." "Depart out of this world" signifies, leave this earth. "According as He hath chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world." This expression signifies, before the earth was founded - Job 38:4.

"Kosmos" is used of the world-system: John 12:31 etc. "Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the Prince of this world be cast out"- Matt. 4:8 and I John 5:19.

"Kosmos" is used of the whole human race: Rom. 3: 19, "Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God."

"Kosmos" is used of humanity minus believers: John 15:18; Rom. 3:6 "If the world hate you, ye know that it hated Me before it hated you." Believers do not "hate" Christ, so that "the world" here must signify the world of unbelievers in contrast from believers who love Christ. "God forbid: for then how shall God judge the world." Here is another passage where "the world" cannot mean "you, me, and everybody," for believers will not be "judged" by God, see John 5:24. So that here, too, it must be the world of unbelievers which is in view.

"Kosmos" is used of Gentiles in contrast from Jews: Rom. 11:12 etc. "Now if the fall of them (Israel) be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them (Israel) the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their (Israel's) fulness." Note how the first clause in italics is defined by the latter clause placed in italics. Here, again, "the world" cannot signify all humanity for it excludes Israel!

"Kosmos" is used of believers only: John 1:29; 3:16, 17; 6:33; 12;47; I Cor. 4:9; 2 Cor. 5:19. We leave our readers to turn to these passages, asking them to note, carefully, exactly what is said and predicated of "the world" in each place. is used of believers only: John 1:29; 3:16, 17; 6:33; 12;47; I Cor. 4:9; 2 Cor. 5:19.

Are these lost sheep of the house of Israel, gentiles??? Your uses of references here are contradicting each other.
Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God was sent by God to atone for the sins of the children of Israel finally and eternally as the Law commands.

Here is a Scripture to support this truth.

4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,
5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. Gal. 4:4–5.

"Kosmos" is used of Gentiles in contrast from Jews: Rom. 11:12 etc. "Now if the fall of them (Israel) be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them (Israel) the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their (Israel's) fulness." Note how the first clause in italics is defined by the latter clause placed in italics. Here, again, "the world" cannot signify all humanity for it excludes Israel!
There are no italics there, but you are applying the wrong thing to the wrong thing. Kosmos is in no way being applied to either Jew or Gentile. 15. For if their rejection means the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance mean but life from the dead.

By now, you should no better than try to prove any point by removing a verse from its contextual meaning, with me. You picked a very, very bad chapter in Romans to pull that from in order to make you case against Gentiles. I will post the entire thing and maybe you will see (if you dare to read it) how you have just walked into a box of your own making, and no way out.

The Remnant of Israel​

11 I ask, then, has God rejected his people? By no means! For I myself am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham,[a] a member of the tribe of Benjamin. 2 God has not rejected his people whom he foreknew. Do you not know what the Scripture says of Elijah, how he appeals to God against Israel? 3 “Lord, they have killed your prophets, they have demolished your altars, and I alone am left, and they seek my life.” 4 But what is God's reply to him? “I have kept for myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal.” 5 So too at the present time there is a remnant, chosen by grace. 6 But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace.

7 What then? Israel failed to obtain what it was seeking. The elect obtained it, but the rest were hardened, 8 as it is written,

“God gave them a spirit of stupor,
eyes that would not see
and ears that would not hear,
down to this very day.”
9 And David says,

“Let their table become a snare and a trap,
a stumbling block and a retribution for them;
10 let their eyes be darkened so that they cannot see,
and bend their backs forever.”

Gentiles Grafted In​

11 So I ask, did they stumble in order that they might fall? By no means! Rather, through their trespass salvation has come to the Gentiles, so as to make Israel jealous. 12 Now if their trespass means riches for the world, and if their failure means riches for the Gentiles, how much more will their full inclusion[b] mean!

13 Now I am speaking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch then as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry 14 in order somehow to make my fellow Jews jealous, and thus save some of them. 15 For if their rejection means the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance mean but life from the dead? 16 If the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, so is the whole lump, and if the root is holy, so are the branches.

17 But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, although a wild olive shoot, were grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing root[c] of the olive tree, 18 do not be arrogant toward the branches. If you are, remember it is not you who support the root, but the root that supports you. 19 Then you will say, “Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.” 20 That is true. They were broken off because of their unbelief, but you (Gentiles) stand fast through faith. So do not become proud, but fear. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches, neither will he spare you. 22 Note then the kindness and the severity of God: severity toward those who have fallen, but God's kindness to you, provided you continue in his kindness. Otherwise you too will be cut off. 23 And even they, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God has the power to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut from what is by nature a wild olive tree, and grafted, contrary to nature, into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, the natural branches, be grafted back into their own olive tree.

The Mystery of Israel's Salvation​

25 Lest you be wise in your own sight, I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers:[d] a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in. 26 And in this way all Israel will be saved, as it is written,

“The Deliverer will come from Zion,
he will banish ungodliness from Jacob”;
27 “and this will be my covenant with them
when I take away their sins.”
28 As regards the gospel, they are enemies for your sake. But as regards election, they are beloved for the sake of their forefathers. 29 For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. 30 For just as you were at one time disobedient to God but now have received mercy because of their disobedience, 31 so they too have now been disobedient in order that by the mercy shown to you they also may now[e] receive mercy. 32 For God has consigned all to disobedience, that he may have mercy on all

Reminded me of when Jesus taught the unbelieving apostles how to rightly divide parables using the mixing formula below

2 Corinthians 4:18King James Version While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.
The father giving jesus the Son of man his prophet apostle one parable right after another hiding the gospel understanding from the lost outward Jew. again to teach mankind how to walk after the unsen eternal things of God

On one occasion in there confusion they must of thought Jesus the Son of man went of his rocker or off the deep end (the most misunderstood person that ever walked on water? They started a election as to who has the greatest dying flesh. the Alfa Dog

Luke 9:42-46 And as he was yet a coming, the devil threw him down, and tare him. And Jesus rebuked the unclean spirit, and healed the child, and delivered him again to his father. And they were all amazed (No faith) at the mighty power of God. But while they wondered (not believe) every one at all things which Jesus did, he said unto his disciples ,Let these sayings sink down into your ears: for the Son of man shall be delivered into the hands of men. But they understood not this saying, and it was hid from them, that they perceived it not: and they feared to ask him of that saying. Then there arose a reasoning among them, which of them should be greatest.

On one occasion one like Jerimiah 5 the racist demanded God bring down fire and make the gentiles disappear. The pagan foundation "out of sight out of mind" He rebuked the apostles again andinformed them what manner of dark spirit they followed after (the spirit of dying flesh and blood .what the eyes see .

The mystery of all the parables remained a mystery as can be seen by Jerimiah 5 commands fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did.

Luke 9:51-55 And it came to pass, when the time was come that he should be received up, he stedfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem,And sent messengers before his face: and they went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for him. And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he would go to Jerusalem. And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, (worthless gentile) even as Elias did? But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit (dead) ye are of

"Kosmos" is used of believers only: John 1:29; 3:16, 17; 6:33; 12;47; I Cor. 4:9; 2 Cor. 5:19. We leave our readers to turn to these passages, asking them to note, carefully, exactly what is said and predicated of "the world" in each place. is used of believers only: John 1:29; 3:16, 17; 6:33; 12;47; I Cor. 4:9; 2 Cor. 5:19.
The different uses of "world" is not the subject of post #13. There were six Scripture quotes in that post directly disproving your position. Only two contained the word "world". The issue concerning those two would not be a list of the different uses of "world" but how was it used in those passages. You do not say, and you ignore the other quotes completely. So put your money where your mouth is.

Why is it you do not address any of those quotes, or any that anyone gives that show you to be putting forth horrendous (to the cross of Christ) lies? Is it because you really and truly know you are wrong and you simply don't want to be wrong? Is it because you know that the Bible does not support anything you are saying about the "Gentiles", and you aren't about to admit it? Or some other reason why you would know you are wrong but are going to continue anyway?

The different uses of "world" is not the subject of post #13. There were six Scripture quotes in that post directly disproving your position. Only two contained the word "world". The issue concerning those two would not be a list of the different uses of "world" but how was it used in those passages. You do not say, and you ignore the other quotes completely. So put your money where your mouth is.

Why is it you do not address any of those quotes, or any that anyone gives that show you to be putting forth horrendous (to the cross of Christ) lies? Is it because you really and truly know you are wrong and you simply don't want to be wrong? Is it because you know that the Bible does not support anything you are saying about the "Gentiles", and you aren't about to admit it? Or some other reason why you would know you are wrong but are going to continue anyway?
Amen whole world not just the Jewish world .God is not a racist .

Back