• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

New Discussion of Israel Merely Retrenches (book review)

EarlyActs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
A title came to my attention yesterday by McDermott, ISRAEL MATTERS. He seems to be getting people crossing to the land side from those who think there is not. Another one-liner calls it a non-dispensational support for the land promises (we must assume this goes into modern times).

I would direct our attention to the blurb at Amazon, to notice something. It is a retrenchment of what has otherwise been refuted, but without any supporting lines. So this means it is not really intended as an appeal to think it out, but for one person of influence to simply say, they have gone 360.

To compare this to my book, I show a substantial problem on the back cover by referencing a counter of modern replacement theology (not things which counter the modern view, but the fact that there was an identified replacement by zealots in the 1st cent. by Paul). I also have a historical lock on my book: the direction the zealots went went tragically and logically into the disaster of the 60s in Judea. It did not need to.

I may be wrong but do not sense any awareness by the author of this dimension of the NT, nor subtle realities like claims of the letter of Hebrews and how they would impact what matters.

I would have welcomed an affirmation of the land claim apart from prophecy or covenants etc, because 3500 years after the fact is a little late to start complaining.

Last edited:
McDermott writes that the book does not go as deep as he could. But that would be bc there is little deeper to go to.

For ex., all the OT visions of the restoration include the outpouring of the Spirit . This has been identified in Acts 2. Modern Israel knows nothing of this, even if we did need to look further than Acts 2.

A title came to my attention yesterday by McDermott, ISRAEL MATTERS. He seems to be getting people crossing to the land side from those who think there is not. Another one-liner calls it a non-dispensational support for the land promises (we must assume this goes into modern times).

I would direct our attention to the blurb at Amazon, to notice something. It is a retrenchment of what has otherwise been refuted, but without any supporting lines. So this means it is not really intended as an appeal to think it out, but for one person of influence to simply say, they have gone 360.

To compare this to my book, I show a substantial problem on the back cover by referencing a counter of modern replacement theology (not things which counter the modern view, but the fact that there was an identified replacement by zealots in the 1st cent. by Paul). I also have a historical lock on my book: the direction the zealots went went tragically and logically into the disaster of the 60s in Judea. It did not need to.

I may be wrong but do not sense any awareness by the author of this dimension of the NT, nor subtle realities like claims of the letter of Hebrews and how they would impact what matters.
Recent history stuff aside, the land promised to Abraham and his natural seed has not yet been given by God to Abraham, much less his natural seed.

And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.

The Almighty God personally promised to give it to Abraham first, not just his natural seed. He'll simply do so at His return to resurrected Abraham. (Resurrected Job will also get to see His Redeemer standing on earth).
I would have welcomed an affirmation of the land claim apart from prophecy or covenants
How can a land claim based solely upon promise, covenant, and prophecy, ever be apart from that promise, covenant, and prophecy?

And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.

etc, because 3500 years after the fact is a little late to start complaining.
Actually, that's about the time they began complaining. And not just in the wilderness. They already started complaining in Egypt when they had no straw to make brick.

That's some pretty devoted slavery, if you ask me.

Back