• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

John 15

Carbon

Courage, dear heart.
Reaction score
Faith
Reformed
Country
USA
Marital status
Married
Politics
Conservative
John 15:
1 “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit.

Who are these branches that do not bear fruit and what is the taking away?

What is the pruning that takes place on the branches that do bear fruit so they will bear more?

John 15:
1 “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit.

Those who abide not in Christ (John 15:6 - "If a man abide not in Me...")

What is the pruning that takes place on the branches that do bear fruit so they will bear more?

I think it refers to the Lord's discipline to conform us more unto Him (Revelation 3:19).

~
Former US President Bill Clinton's daughter Chelsea started out with Christ, but
then shook off his instructions by settling down with Marc Mezvinsky: a Jew.
They tied the knot in a so-called "interfaith ceremony"

2Cor 6:14-15 . . Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do
righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have
with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a
believer have in common with an unbeliever?

Chelsea's was a huge mistake; and I'd imagine she's had to marginalize Christ quite
a few times since then in order to keep her marriage together.
_

~
Former US President Bill Clinton's daughter Chelsea started out with Christ, but
then shook off his instructions by settling down with Marc Mezvinsky: a Jew.
They tied the knot in a so-called "interfaith ceremony"

2Cor 6:14-15 . . Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do
righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have
with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a
believer have in common with an unbeliever?

Chelsea's was a huge mistake; and I'd imagine she's had to marginalize Christ quite
a few times since then in order to keep her marriage together.
_
But we don't know if she is a true believer or just professes Christ.

Carbon wrote: What is the pruning that takes place on the branches that do bear fruit so they will bear more?
I think it refers to the Lord's discipline to conform us more unto Him (Revelation 3:19).
@Fred
Doesn't it also sound like progressive Sanctification?

But we don't know if she is a true believer or just professes Christ.

With her continual support of the murder of the unborn 1 John 3:15 comes to mind.

With her continual support of the murder of the unborn 1 John 3:15 comes to mind.
Oh boy. Not a good sign :(

Yes.
Through the working of the Holy Spirit, Christ continually draws His sheep unto Himself.
That reminds me of this saying.

It's not that we are somehow moving toward the goal, but rather that the goal is moving closer and closer to us.

~
I really don't think John 15:1-6 is talking about apostasy, rather, just simply non
compliance with Christ's instructions; and no doubt there are quite a few Christians
at large for whom that shoe fits; for example:

"And these are they which are sown among thorns; such as hear the word, and the
cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things
entering in choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful." (Mark 4:18-20)

NOTE: The mention of fire in John 15:1-6 has led some to use that passage in their
quest to prove it's possible to lose one's salvation, but if we go their route, we will
have to take Jesus' remarks as a parable instead of a clarity. Well; I grew up with
ranchers and farmers. The man-made fire spoken of is not Hell, which consists of
perpetual fire; rather, it's a temporary expedient for the disposing of accumulated
slash. In other words: off-reservation Christians have about as much practical use
to God as yard debris.

A notable example was Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. --he started out okay but then
got involved in political activism.

"And as Christ's soldier, do not let yourself become tied up in the affairs of this life,
for then you cannot satisfy the one who has enlisted you in his army." (2Tim 2:4-5)
_

Last edited:
Interesting parable, hiding the spiritual understanding from the unbelieving world. (dead fruit)

The unseen root represents salvatio.It would seem to be the focusin that parble .The "salvation root "

Cut off the roots. . dead .(no salvation )

Matthew 3:10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

Matthew 13:6 And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.

Matthew 13:21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word( the incorruptible seed ) , by and by he is offended.

2 Kings 19:30 And the remnant that is escaped of the house of Judah shall yet again take root downward, and bear fruit upward.

T
he word root is used that way throughout the bible . The hidden things of the Lord revealed in parables as prophecy.

1 Corinthians 4:5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God

~
A notable example was Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. --he started out okay but then got involved in
political activism.

An ordained Christian minister devoting himself to political activism is one thing,
but King also participated in civil disobedience and got himself arrested because
of it +/- 30 times.

1Pet 2:13-16 . . Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake:
whether it be to the king, as supreme; or unto governors, as unto them that are
sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do
well. For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the
ignorance of foolish men: As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of
maliciousness, but as the servants of God. (cf. Rom 13:1-5)
_

~

An ordained Christian minister devoting himself to political activism is one thing,
but King also participated in civil disobedience and got himself arrested because
of it +/- 30 times.

1Pet 2:13-16 . . Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake:
whether it be to the king, as supreme; or unto governors, as unto them that are
sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do
well. For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the
ignorance of foolish men: As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of
maliciousness, but as the servants of God. (cf. Rom 13:1-5)
_

What do you think of Christian ministers who devoted themselves to the American Revolutionary cause?

What do you think of Christian ministers who devoted themselves to the American
Revolutionary cause?

My thoughts about Christian men of the cloth caught up in the American revolution
are no different than my thoughts about Christian men of the cloth caught up in any

revolution, e.g. the Cuban revolution, the Russian revolution, the French revolution,
the Haitian revolution, the Mexican revolution, the Chinese revolution, the Iranian
revolution,
the revolutions in Africa, the Arab Spring, et al.

2Tim 4:1-5 . . In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the
living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this
charge: Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke
and encourage-with great patience and careful instruction.

. . . For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead,
to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers
to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the
truth and turn aside to myths.

. . . But you; keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an
evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

2Tim 2:4 . . No soldier in active service entangles himself in the affairs of this world
so that he may please the one who enlisted him as a soldier
_

My thoughts about Christian men of the cloth caught up in the American revolution
are no different than my thoughts about Christian men of the cloth caught up in any

revolution, e.g. the Cuban revolution, the Russian revolution, the French revolution,
the Haitian revolution, the Mexican revolution, the Chinese revolution, the Iranian
revolution,
the revolutions in Africa, the Arab Spring, et al.

Same would apply to those who resisted Hitler?

Same would apply to those who resisted Hitler?

* Fred; are you fishing for something: a loop hole perhaps?

The thing is; according to the Bible's instructions for ordained Christian men:
political activism and civil disobedience are unacceptable activities no matter who's
running their country nor by what methods: whether Hitler in Germany, Joseph
Stalin in Russia, Muammar Gaddafi In Libya, Nero in Rome, Kim Jong Un in North
Korea, Xi Jinping in China, and/or Joseph Biden in the USA.
_

Last edited:
John 15:

The unfaithful who abide in sin or reject Christ and his grace!

Galatians 5:4
Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace
Revelation 17:14
These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.

Back