• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Jesus is not “the way”?

How can a mere man be the truth itself? Life itself?
Good question. So as we know from the New Testament, the words Jesus spoke came from God. We know that it is God’s commands that lead to life.

The way, truth, and life that Jesus has come directly from God. Those around him walking in spiritual darkness. They can come to know God by what Jesus relayed to them from God. After that, they can also have the truth and life.

What you’re misunderstanding, I believe, is a man being God. That just simply is not possible. God was with Jesus, acted through Jesus, but Jesus is not God Himself.

con·text
[ˈkäntekst]
NOUN
the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood and assessed:
"the decision was taken within the context of planned cuts in spending"
the parts of something written or spoken that immediately precede and follow a word or passage and clarify its meaning.
"word processing is affected by the context in which the words appear"

Every word, phrase, sentence, verse, passage or book of the Bible comes within a context.
—BUT—
To quote it separates it out of its context.

When you quote the word, phrase, etc without reference or deference to its Biblical context, you are quoting it out-of-context.

When you remove it from its context without even intellectual deference or reference to the context it came in, you are using it out of context, and usually, running the huge risk of misinterpreting its meaning and intended use in Scripture.
Do you see a context for 1 Jn 5:21 in the chapter or even the whole book?

Good question. So as we know from the New Testament, the words Jesus spoke came from God. We know that it is God’s commands that lead to life.

The way, truth, and life that Jesus has come directly from God. Those around him walking in spiritual darkness. They can come to know God by what Jesus relayed to them from God. After that, they can also have the truth and life.

What you’re misunderstanding, I believe, is a man being God. That just simply is not possible. God was with Jesus, acted through Jesus, but Jesus is not God Himself.
Jesus is not man become God!
Not a human person!

He is a divine person!
A divine person who became man!

Incarnation of the word!
The word was made flesh which means it already existed before being made flesh

Jn 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me

Jn 14:6 does not say I am the way provided by God
Or the truth provided by God
Or the life provided by God

It says: “I am the way , the truth, and the life!

In His own person! His nature!

Big big difference!

If you obeyed Christ and heard his apostolic church you would be in Jn 8:32

Not a human person!

He is a divine person!

Incarnation of the word!

Jn 14:6

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Jesus does not say what am the way God provided

Jesus does not say what am the truth God provided

Jesus does not say what am the life God provided

He says in His own person: I am the way, the truth, and the life!

In his person or nature!

Thanks

Please explain

Philippians 1:19
For I know that this shall turn to my salvation through your prayer, and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ,

And how this is “faith alone”!
What's to explain? What is it you don't understand about salvation? Wait. I think I know the answer to that. Because you think salvation is administered by the Catholic church through Catholic priests and the Eucharist, and works of penance.

That phrase a “workman” refers to an apostle not you or me!
Hello again Don, the Apostle Paul wrote this final letter of his (most immediately/directly) to his protégé Timothy (who was a pastor, not an Apostle). Why do you believe that ἐργάτης/"workman" in the Bible is specifically referring to an Apostle? Laborer, yes, workman and worker, yes, agricultural worker, yes (and even evildoer is one of its definitions), but "Apostle" never is, just FYI.

Who made him and apostle?
The same person who made Timothy an apostle, no one.

I don’t care for modernists who preach the Vatican 2 cult
Vatican 2 seems old school now (especially in light of your present-day Pope and the direction that the CC seems to be taking these days). Thank you for letting me know where you stand, but if you don't hold to "some" of the CC's teachings, it is going to be very hard to hold a conversation with you about the CC going forward, perhaps even impossible, I'm sorry to say.

--Papa Smurf

You guys say “scripture alone”! Then you don’t accept or believe it! Why???
I'm not sure what you are referring to in the post of mine that you were replying to (concerning Sola Scriptura and my failure to believe its precepts?), so please let me know what that is, specifically, so that I can reply. Thanks :)

Are you sure? I see them in scripture
Then you are seeing things, Don ;)

The “workman” refers to an apostle or bishop not you or me
Please tell me why you have come to believe that? As I said in my last post, "Apostle" is not one of the definitions for ἐργάτης.

We don’t have sunday school that’s a Protestant idea that’s not in the New Testament
I thought Gina (the friend I was quoting) said Sunday School, though she told me this MANY moons ago. I believe that nuns were the teachers in her elementary school classes. Perhaps she heard it from one of her priests there? I'll have to ask her.

As an aside, I've attended a number of Catholic services over the years, but I never noticed a lot of young children in attendance during any of those services (save something like a Christmas concert), so I'm interested, where do you take infants, toddlers, and elementary school-age kids during your weekly services? Do they just stay right there with their parents in the pews?

Thanks :) (I must say, if that is the case, that infants through young children remain in the pews during your regular services, that Catholic children are VERY well-behaved, because I've never noticed them)

Ccc not sure what that is! There is the catechism of the council of Trent!
Catechism of the Catholic Church (it was approved by JPII .. you've never heard of it :unsure:)

Speaking of Trent was it not Luther who insisted the church call a council to decide on his novelties, and then did so and condemned them all? Then he started a new church to teach his new ideas
I don't believe that Luther insisted on anything (though he did put forth a list of 95 theses in 1517 to be discussed publicly, by anyone who wanted to). On the other hand, the church did insist on his attendance at a Diet that they held in his "honor" ;) in Worms, Germany (perhaps that's what you were thinking of?).

As for starting a new church, Luther sought to reform the church, and that's what he did. He didn't start a new one.

Even though the so-called reformers all defended the dogma’s of Mary!
Some of the Reformers held to "some" of the Marian doctrines (BTW, two of at least two of the four doctrines concerning her were not made "dogmas" by the CC until long after the 16th Century, as I'm sure you know).

Last edited:
Do you see a context for 1 Jn 5:21 in the chapter or even the whole book?
The chapter and the whole book and the rest of Scripture IS the context.

Not a human person!

He is a divine person!

Incarnation of the word!

Jn 14:6

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Jesus does not say what am the way God provided

Jesus does not say what am the truth God provided

Jesus does not say what am the life God provided

He says in His own person: I am the way, the truth, and the life!

In his person or nature!

Thanks
Seems that is just your belief, but not something clearly said in the Bible.

Don't you get tired of mocking sola (scriptura)? You have not proved anything in regard to the Bible which you must see as dead words and not a living word .

baptize . .the washing and renewing not the saving.

A person would to look to the foundation of the doctrines of God that fall like rain, drop as dew coming from above to represent the unseen work of the Holy Spirit. Not rising up inspired earthly from Rome .

David in the Psalm replied if the unbelievers destroy the foundation of a doctrine what could those do that are trusting the foundation revealed as it is writen do?

Just make up your own foundation as a law of dying mankind the lerion of gods (petron asints ?

Why hear the word of a God not seen, rather than the pagan foundation out of sight out of mind murder the misperceived competition follow Saul the murderer not Christ the Holy Father

The ceremonial washing with the water of the word was on a voluntary bases, only requirement a levi

It was set up as a ceremonial law or shadow a sign to the unbelieving world in ahope of drawing them into the hearing of faith The believer had prophecy no need for signs to wonder after. The shadow was not a sign to themselves proving they have been born again.

On the first day havening dressed in priestly attire Both sons of Aaron disobeyed the law of shadow (ceremonies ).And they added their own personal touch or finger print as in, I did it ,it proves it. Calling it strange unauthorized fire as judgment The fiery judgment consumed them not a hint of smoke of the priestly garments . Ready for the next volunteer as a sign to other they have a desire to please God,

Same as today the washing and renewing with the water of the word. A sign to the faithless unbelieving world .No longer after a levite.

The priesthood given over to the tribe of Judah after the order of melchizedek King of kings Lord of lords. Judah the tribe that represented all the tribes men and women as prophets,

Before the reformation. Just as in Catholicism today . No female prophets "men only club" no Jewish women or gentiles they were separated by a high wall .

What the Catholics must call sacraments "eat and drink your way to heaven" The Bible calls "strange fire" or smoke. Dying mankind as a law of the fathers a sign unto thier own self. I ate it, it came out as draught, seeing thing that enter our mouth do not efect a soul .The refuse must be buried outside the camp

.Matthew 15:16-18King James Version1 And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?
Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

No fountain of youth

Leviticus 10:1-3 And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the Lord, which he commanded them not. And there went out fire from the Lord, and devoured them, and they died before the Lord. Then Moses said unto Aaron, This is it that the Lord spake, saying, I will be sanctified in them that come nigh me, and before all the people I will be glorified. And Aaron held his peace.

Catholicism is the result of worshipping venerating shadows of the eternal things of God And not our Holy father in heaven alone .

Learn what it mean to rightly divide that which you must call heresy (sola scriptura)

Why make Jesus into a circus seal? There is no reward for that . . work a miracle do a trick then when they see with their own eyes. . then they will exercise faith (understanding) or power of God

John 4:48Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.

John 6:30 They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work?

What's to explain? What is it you don't understand about salvation? Wait. I think I know the answer to that. Because you think salvation is administered by the Catholic church through Catholic priests and the Eucharist, and works of penance.
The sacraments are the means of grace (fruits of Christ’s sacrifice)

Can you be saved without a priest?

Hello again Don, the Apostle Paul wrote this final letter of his (most immediately/directly) to his protégé Timothy (who was a pastor, not an Apostle). Why do you believe that ἐργάτης/"workman" in the Bible is specifically referring to an Apostle? Laborer, yes, workman and worker, yes, agricultural worker, yes (and even evildoer is one of its definitions), but "Apostle" never is, just FYI.

The same person who made Timothy an apostle, no one.

Vatican 2 seems old school now (especially in light of your present-day Pope and the direction that the CC seems to be taking these days). Thank you for letting me know where you stand, but if you don't hold to "some" of the CC's teachings, it is going to be very hard to hold a conversation with you about the CC going forward, perhaps even impossible, I'm sorry to say.

--Papa Smurf
I believe the ancient faith of the apostles acts2:42
The catholic and divine faith not any of the novelties since 1960
Thanks

I'm not sure what you are referring to in the post of mine that you were replying to (concerning Sola Scriptura and my failure to believe its precepts?), so please let me know what that is, specifically, so that I can reply. Thanks :)
They reject scripture cos it’s not in their context

In context scripture is Protestant
Out of context catholic

Then you are seeing things, Don ;)

Please tell me why you have come to believe that? As I said in my last post, "Apostle" is not one of the definitions for
ἐργάτης.

I thought Gina (the friend I was quoting) said Sunday School, though she told me this MANY moons ago. I believe that nuns were the teachers in her elementary school classes. Perhaps she heard it from one of her priests there? I'll have to ask her.

As an aside, I've attended a number of Catholic services over the years, but I never noticed a lot of young children in attendance during any of those services (save something like a Christmas concert), so I'm interested, where do you take infants, toddlers, and elementary school-age kids during your weekly services? Do they just stay right there with their parents in the pews?

Thanks :) (I must say, if that is the case, that infants through young children remain in the pews during your regular services, that Catholic children are VERY well-behaved, because I've never noticed them)

Catechism of the Catholic Church (it was approved by JPII .. you've never heard of it :unsure:)

I don't believe that Luther insisted on anything (though he did put forth a list of 95 theses in 1517 to be discussed publicly, by anyone who wanted to). On the other hand, the church did insist on his attendance at a Diet that they held in his "honor" ;) in Worms, Germany (perhaps that's what you were thinking of?).

As for starting a new church, Luther sought to reform the church, and that's what he did. He didn't start a new one.

Some of the Reformers held to "some" of the Marian doctrines (BTW, two of at least two of the four doctrines concerning her were not made "dogmas" by the CC until long after the 16th Century, as I'm sure you know).
Sacerdotal is priest or Presbyter heb 7:17 heb 8:1 Christ is high priest so there must be low priests of the same order

Christ is head of the church and that implies a hierarchy

When was little we would get dropped in a room and play games

Ccc I’ve heard of it of course but I don’t choose to recognize it
Catechism of the council of Trent or pius X or the penny or Baltimore catechism’s are faithful

There is no reformation they rejected Christ and the church He founded on Peter and the apostles and started new churches 30,000 plus by now with new doctrine

Christ reformed the mosaic covenant into the new covenant church 2000 yrs ago as scripture says that was the “time of reformation” heb 9:10

Thanks

More questions are welcome

Back