• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Is there a connection?

donadams

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Are there any trinitarians who keep the Saturday only sabbath?

Or any Unitarians who worship on sundays?

Is there a connection between denying the trinity and Saturday only worship?

Thanks

I do believe one can worship on any day they wish. The Sabbath is not required.

Privately on your own? I would not call that worship, but praise and thanksgiving
Public worship requires much more.
Sides I was referring to the official worship of the church!

Privately on your own? I would not call that worship, but praise and thanksgiving
Public worship requires much more.
Sides I was referring to the official worship of the church!
Let me say same thing differently.
A church can hold church any day of the week they choose. The bible does not require Saturday or Sunday as the day of worship.

Are there any trinitarians who keep the Saturday only sabbath?

Or any Unitarians who worship on sundays?

Is there a connection between denying the trinity and Saturday only worship?

Thanks
I believe in the Trinity and that we should follow Christ's example of keeping the 7th day holy in obedience to God.

The command to keep the 7th day holy is not the command to only worship on the 7th day. The Israelites worshiped God on every day of the week, which included keeping the 7th day holy. In Matthew 7:6-9, Jesus criticized the Pharisees as being hypocrites for setting aside the commandments of God in order to establish their own tradition, so there is nothing wrong with someone choosing to follow their own tradition of worshiping God on Sunday or any other day of the week in addition to obeying God's command to keep the 7th day holy, but we should not hypocritically set aside God's command in order to establish our own tradition. God's law is His instructions for how to worship Him, so we can't worship God instead of obeying His instructions for how to worship Him.

A church can hold church any day of the week they choose. The bible does not require Saturday or Sunday as the day of worship.
Sin is the transgression of God's law (1 John 3:4), God's law instructs to keep the 7th day holy (Exodus 20:8-11), and the Bible instructs us to refrain from sin.

Luke 16:16
16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.
Rom 1:17
17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
Rom 3:19-21
19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
Rom 7:4
Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.
Rom 7: 6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
Rom 10:4
4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
Rom 10:10
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Gal 2:16
16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Gal 2:21
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
Gal 5:18
18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
Heb 7:12
12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

John 15:10

10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

In Matthew 4:15-23, Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, and God's law was how his audience knew what sin is, so repenting from our disobedience to it is a central part of the Gospel of the Kingdom, so Jesus was speaking about God's law continuing to be taught after John. Furthermore, in Luke 16:17, Jesus said that it would be easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the least part to disappear from the law, so he was not speaking about a law that he thought had already disappeared. In addition, in Luke 16:18, Jesus proceeded to teach how to obey God's law.
https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Luke-16-16/
In the context of Habakkuk 2:4, it contrasts the righteous who are living by faith with those who are not living in obedience to God's law. In Isaiah 51:7, the righteous are those on whose heart is God's law, so the righteous living by faith does not refer to a manner of living that is not in obedience to it. God is trustworthy, therefore His law is also trustworthy (Psalms 19:7), so the way to have faith in God is by obediently having faith in His law and it is contradictory to think that we should have faith in God, but not in His instructions.
https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Romans-1-17/
Indeed, the only way to become righteous that is testified about in the Law and the Prophets is through faith. We do not earn our righteousness as the result of obeying God's law because it was never given as a means of doing that, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't obey it for the purposes for which it was given. The fact that we don't earn our righteousness by obeying God doesn't mean that we aren't obligated to obey Him.
https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Romans-3-21/
We need to die to the law of sin in order to be free to bear fruit for God by obeying His law, not the other way around. It would be absurd to think that that we need to die to God's word in order to be united with God's word made flesh, but rather obeying God's word is the way to be united with him. In Romans 7:22-23, Paul said that he delighted in obeying the Law of God, but contrasted it with the law of sin which held him captive, so Romans 7:6 speaking about being related from a law that held us captive is referring to the law of sin, not the Law of God.

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Romans-7-6/
In Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from hi because he never knew them, so knowing Jesus is the goal of the law, which again is contrary to him thinking that the law has ended.

In Romans 9:30-10:4, they failed to attain righteousness because they misunderstood the goal of the law by pursuing it as through righteousness were earned as the result of their works in order to establish their own instead of pursuing God's law as though righteousness were by faith in Christ, for knowing Christ is the goal of the law for righteousness for everyone who has faith. In Romans 10:5-10, this faith references Deuteronomy 30:11-20 as the word of faith that we proclaim in regard to saying that God's law is not too difficult to obey, that the one who obeys it will attain life by it, in regard to what we are agreeing to obey by confessing that Jesus is Lord, and in regard to way to bereave that God raised him from the dead.
https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Romans-10-10/
In Galatians 5:16-18, Paul described the desires of the flesh as causing us not to do the good that we want to do, which is how Paul described his struggle with the law of sin in Romans 7, so that is the law that we are not under when we are led by the Spirit. It would be absurd to interpret that verse as saying that the Spirit has the role of leading us away from obeying the Father, but rather the Spirit has the role of leading us to obey His law (Ezekiel 36:26-27).
https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Galatians-5-18/
God's righteousness is eternal (Psalms 119:142), therefore all of God's instructions for how to act in accordance with His righteousness are eternal (Psalms 119:160), so any instructions that God has ever given for how to act in accordance with His righteousness are eternally valid, and if those instructions were to ever change, then God's righteousness would not be eternal. So Hebrews 7:12 could not be referring to a change of the law in regard to its content, such as with it becoming righteous to commit adultery or sinful to help the poor, but rather in context it is speaking about a change of the priesthood, which would also require there to be a change of the law in regard to its administration.
https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Hebrews-7-12/
Jesus equated his commandments with those of the Father, which you are in opposition to following.

You should be quicker to think that you must have misunderstood the verses that you quoted than to think that it makes perfect sense to interpret God's word as speaking against obeying other parts of God's word as if a house divided against itself could stand. The bottom line is that we must obey God rather than man, so you should be quicker to disregard everything that any man has said than to disregard anything that God has commanded. In Deuteronomy 30:1-5, the way that God instructed His people to determine that someone is a false prophet who is not speaking for Him is if they speak against obeying His law, so even if your interpretation of the verses you quoted were correct, then you should still obey God's law.

The Law was given to Israel only, Acts has a short list of requirements for the New Covenant believers and the Law is not on the list. The Law is not listed in Jere 31:31-34 either. Jesus gave the commandments out of his own mouth some are the same one or two changed and one new. That is why he said keep My commandments as I have kept My Fathers commandments rather than just saying keep the old Law as I have kept the Old law. There are a least 20 more verses saying the old law is done away with. Even Israel will have to accept Jesus before they can be saved see Ezk 36:24-39

The Law was given to Israel only,
In Exodus 12:38, there was a mixed multitude that came up out of Egypt with them, so there were Gentiles at the foot of Sinai, and in John 8:33, Israel was inclusive of both the foreigner and the native born, so Israel is inclusive of everyone who is a follower of the God of Israel in obedience to His law. In Ephesians 2:12-19, Gentiles were once separated from Christ, alienated from Israel, strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world, but through faith in Christ all of that is no longer true in that Gentiles are no longer aliens or strangers, but are fellow citizens of Israel along with the saints in the household of God. In 1 Peter 2:9-10, Gentiles are included as part of God's chosen people, a holy nation, a royal priesthood, and a treasure of God's own possession, which are terms used to describe Israel (Deuteronomy 7:6), so Gentiles also have the delight of getting to follow the laws that God gave for how to fulfill those roles. For example, it would be contradictory for a Gentile to want to become part of a holy nation while not wanting to follow God's laws for how to live as part of a holy nation.

The Law is not listed in Jere 31:31-34 either.
In Jeremiah 31:33, the New Covenant was only made with those house of Judah and the house of Israel, so it is only through faith in Christ that Gentiles are able to become joined to Israel and become partakers of the New Covenant. Furthermore, Jeremiah 31:33, the New Covenant involves God putting the Torah in our minds and writing it on our hearts, so if someone wants nothing to do with becoming joined to Israel through faith in Christ and with obeying the Torah, then they want nothing to do with the New Covenant.

Acts has a short list of requirements for the New Covenant believers and the Law is not on the list.
Either Acts 15:19-21 contains an exhaustive list of all of the laws of the Torah that would ever be required of a mature Gentile believer or it does not, so it is contradictory for someone to treat it as being a non-exhaustive list by saying that there are obviously other laws that Gentiles should follow while also treating it as being an exhaustive list to limit which Gentiles should follow. For example, Gentiles are clearly expected to refrain from doing the things listed in 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, Galatians 5:19-21, and Titus 3:1-3, as well as obey the Ten Commandments and the greatest two commandments. Furthermore, if you agree that Gentiles should obey the greatest two commandments, then you should agree that Gentiles should obey the laws that hang on them, for example, if we love God and our neighbor, then we won't commit adultery, theft, murder, idolatry, kidnapping, rape, favoritism, and so forth for the rest of the Torah.

Jesus gave the commandments out of his own mouth some are the same one or two changed and one new. That is why he said keep My commandments as I have kept My Fathers commandments rather than just saying keep the old Law as I have kept the Old law.
The Bible frequently uses parallel statements that are two ways of expressing the same thought, so Jesus was equating his commandments with those of the Father. Jesus was one with the Father, so he was not in disagreement with Him about which commandments we should follow and did not make any changes to them in violation of Deuteronomy 4:2. You are interpreting John 15:10 as if Jesus were hypocritically saying that we should only do as he said, but not as he did even though we are told to follow his example (1 Peter 2:21-22). They did not refer to it as "the Old law" at that time, so that is anachronistic.

There are a least 20 more verses saying the old law is done away with.
I probably used to use those same verses to argue the same position, but my interpretation of those verses did not stand up to scrutiny. The Psalms express an extremely positive view of the Torah, such as with David repeatedly saying that he loved it and delighted in obeying it, so if we consider the Psalms to be Scripture and to therefore express a correct view of the Torah, then we will share it as Paul did (Roman 7:22), while anything less than the view that we ought to delight in obeying it is incompatible with the view that the Psalms are Scripture. Moreover, the NT authors considered the Psalms to be Scripture, so they should be interpreted as though they held the same view of the Torah that is expressed in the Psalms rather than as having a view of the Torah that is incompatible with what they considered to be Scripture. Instructions for how to testify about the nature of the God of Israel can't be abolished without first abolishing the God of Israel, so the reject of the Torah is the rejection of the God of Israel.

Even Israel will have to accept Jesus before they can be saved see Ezk 36:24-39
The Torah is God's word and Jesus is God's word made flesh, so the way to accept Jesus is by following his example of obedience to the Torah in accordance with Ezekiel 36:24-39 while the way to reject him is by refusing to obey the Torah.

In Exodus 12:38, there was a mixed multitude that came up out of Egypt with them, so there were Gentiles at the foot of Sinai, and in John 8:33, Israel was inclusive of both the foreigner and the native born, so Israel is inclusive of everyone who is a follower of the God of Israel in obedience to His law. In Ephesians 2:12-19, Gentiles were once separated from Christ, alienated from Israel, strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world, but through faith in Christ all of that is no longer true in that Gentiles are no longer aliens or strangers, but are fellow citizens of Israel along with the saints in the household of God. In 1 Peter 2:9-10, Gentiles are included as part of God's chosen people, a holy nation, a royal priesthood, and a treasure of God's own possession, which are terms used to describe Israel (Deuteronomy 7:6), so Gentiles also have the delight of getting to follow the laws that God gave for how to fulfill those roles. For example, it would be contradictory for a Gentile to want to become part of a holy nation while not wanting to follow God's laws for how to live as part of a holy nation.

In Jeremiah 31:33, the New Covenant was only made with those house of Judah and the house of Israel, so it is only through faith in Christ that Gentiles are able to become joined to Israel and become partakers of the New Covenant. Furthermore, Jeremiah 31:33, the New Covenant involves God putting the Torah in our minds and writing it on our hearts, so if someone wants nothing to do with becoming joined to Israel through faith in Christ and with obeying the Torah, then they want nothing to do with the New Covenant.

Either Acts 15:19-21 contains an exhaustive list of all of the laws of the Torah that would ever be required of a mature Gentile believer or it does not, so it is contradictory for someone to treat it as being a non-exhaustive list by saying that there are obviously other laws that Gentiles should follow while also treating it as being an exhaustive list to limit which Gentiles should follow. For example, Gentiles are clearly expected to refrain from doing the things listed in 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, Galatians 5:19-21, and Titus 3:1-3, as well as obey the Ten Commandments and the greatest two commandments. Furthermore, if you agree that Gentiles should obey the greatest two commandments, then you should agree that Gentiles should obey the laws that hang on them, for example, if we love God and our neighbor, then we won't commit adultery, theft, murder, idolatry, kidnapping, rape, favoritism, and so forth for the rest of the Torah.

The Bible frequently uses parallel statements that are two ways of expressing the same thought, so Jesus was equating his commandments with those of the Father. Jesus was one with the Father, so he was not in disagreement with Him about which commandments we should follow and did not make any changes to them in violation of Deuteronomy 4:2. You are interpreting John 15:10 as if Jesus were hypocritically saying that we should only do as he said, but not as he did even though we are told to follow his example (1 Peter 2:21-22). They did not refer to it as "the Old law" at that time, so that is anachronistic.

I probably used to use those same verses to argue the same position, but my interpretation of those verses did not stand up to scrutiny. The Psalms express an extremely positive view of the Torah, such as with David repeatedly saying that he loved it and delighted in obeying it, so if we consider the Psalms to be Scripture and to therefore express a correct view of the Torah, then we will share it as Paul did (Roman 7:22), while anything less than the view that we ought to delight in obeying it is incompatible with the view that the Psalms are Scripture. Moreover, the NT authors considered the Psalms to be Scripture, so they should be interpreted as though they held the same view of the Torah that is expressed in the Psalms rather than as having a view of the Torah that is incompatible with what they considered to be Scripture. Instructions for how to testify about the nature of the God of Israel can't be abolished without first abolishing the God of Israel, so the reject of the Torah is the rejection of the God of Israel.

The Torah is God's word and Jesus is God's word made flesh, so the way to accept Jesus is by following his example of obedience to the Torah in accordance with Ezekiel 36:24-39 while the way to reject him is by refusing to obey the Torah.
Israel was of Jacob's loins only. Outsiders that wanted to come and live with them had to be circumcised by hand and follow old law that was without Faith and did not offer eternal life to anyone. The old Law still does not offer eternal life to anyone. When Israel does get saved they first have to accept Jesus as their Savior and then have Faith in Him and then they will be saved. The Kingdom of God is about Faith in Jesus being the Savior and only way to eternal life. The old law must be followed completely not just certain parts it states that in the Bible one must keep whole law. So this belief that one can pull part of the old law out and apply it to the new covenant is BS. Jesus is offering humans eternal life so He is the only one that makes the rules for humans to follow to attain what He offers. Mankind has NO right to bring old Law into the New Covenant humans only have a choice to follow the new covenant or not follow it. The new covenant is about Faith in Jesus who has been put in control of heaven and earth by the Father.

Sin is the transgression of God's law (1 John 3:4), God's law instructs to keep the 7th day holy (Exodus 20:8-11), and the Bible instructs us to refrain from sin.
Sabbath comes from the word shavet meaning cease of desist. It was created for man, not man for the sabbath, as a day to rest from one's labors. It is for our good, and is necessary for our wellbeing. Among other things, the Sabbath laws in the old covenant, were a teaching tool and a way of enforcing this rest from labor. But it was not the true rest, not the spiritual rest. That we find in Christ, where salvation is through faith in His person and work, and not in our work. (Hebrews).

Sabbath comes from the word shavet meaning cease of desist. It was created for man, not man for the sabbath, as a day to rest from one's labors. It is for our good, and is necessary for our wellbeing. Among other things, the Sabbath laws in the old covenant, were a teaching tool and a way of enforcing this rest from labor. But it was not the true rest, not the spiritual rest.
All of God's laws were given for our own good in order to teach us ho to be blessed (Deuteronomy 6:24, 10:12-13), though that doesn't mean that we aren't obligated to obey them. God's law is spiritual (Romans 7:14), which means that it has always been intended to teach us deeper spiritual principles, which are aspects of God's nature/fruits of the Spirit, which is who the Son is at the exact image of God's nature (Hebrews 1:3).

For example, God could give someone a list of 100 instructions for how to act in accordance with His righteousness in various situations which are intended to teach us a spiritual principle of righteousness that all of those examples have in common, so someone correctly understanding that principle leads them to take actions that are examples of it that are in accordance with that list even in situations that were not specifically listed. Correctly understanding a principle will never lead someone away from taking actions that are examples of it, for instance, if someone thought that they understood the spiritual principle of love, so they no longer needed to help the poor because it was not true love, then they would be missing the whole point. There is a spiritual principle that the 7th day Sabbath, the yearly Sabbaths, and 7-year Sabbaths, and the seven 7-year Sabbaths have in common that they are intended to teach us, but that doesn't mean that they are not true rests, rather if we correctly understand that principle, then we will take actions that are examples of it including keeping the 7th day holy.

In Hebrews 3:18-19, they did not enter into Gods rest because of their disobedience/unbelief, in Ezekiel 20:13, it specifically mentions that they greatly profaned God's Sabbaths, and in Hebrews 4:9-11, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, we should rest from our work as God rested from His, and we should strive to enter into that rest so that no one may fall away by the same sort of disobedience, so trying to use entering into that rest to justify the same sort of disobedience is the opposite of what was being said.

That we find in Christ, where salvation is through faith in His person and work, and not in our work. (Hebrews).
In 1 John 2:6, those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked, which is because the way to be in Christ is by acting in accordance with His nature through following his example of obedience to God's law, and this is where salvation is because salvation is from living in transgression of it (Matthew 1:21). In Matthew 23:23, Jesus said that faith is one of the weightier matters of the law, so obedience to it is the way to have faith in His person and work, not our work. God's commands are His works.

I believe in the Trinity and that we should follow Christ's example of keeping the 7th day holy in obedience to God.
How exactly do you keep it “holy”?
Thanks

Israel was of Jacob's loins only. Outsiders that wanted to come and live with them had to be circumcised by hand and follow old law that was without Faith and did not offer eternal life to anyone. The old Law does not offer eternal life to anyone.
In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to walk in His way that he and Israel might know Him, and in Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so knowing God and Jesus is the goal of the law, which is eternal life (John 17:3), which is also why Jesus said that the way to inherit eternal life is by obeying God's commandments (Matthew 19:17, Luke 10:25-28). Gentiles who want to have eternal life by knowing the God of Israel can follow His instructions in His law for how to do that, but Gentiles can't know Him instead of following His instructions for how to do that.

When Israel does get saved they first have to accept Jesus as their Savior and then have Faith in Him and then they will be saved.
Jesus is God's word made flesh, so he embodiment it by living in sinless obedience to it, which means that the way to accept him as our Savior is by embodying God's word through following His example. It is contradictory to think that we should have faith in God's word made flesh, but not in God's word.

The Kingdom of God is about Faith in Jesus being the Savior and only way to eternal life.
In Matthew 4:15-23, Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, and God's law was how his audience knew what sin is (Romans 3:20), so repenting from our disobedience to it is a central part of the Gospel message, which is the way to have faith in Jesus being the Savior and the only way to eternal life.

The old law must be followed completely not just certain parts it states that in the Bible one must keep whole law. So this belief that one can pull part of the old law out and apply it to the new covenant is BS.
In Jeremiah 31:33, the New Covenant involves God putting His law in our minds and writing in our hearts, so those who do not want to obey God's law want nothing to do with the New Covenant.

Jesus is offering humans eternal life so He is the only one that makes the rules for humans to follow to attain what He offers. Mankind has NO right to bring old Law into the New Covenant humans only have a choice to follow the new covenant or not follow it. The new covenant is about Faith in Jesus who has been put in control of heaven and earth by the Father.
Jesus is the one who said that the way to inherit eternal life is by obeying God's commandments (Matthew 19:17, Luke 10:25-28). God's word is His instructions for how to have faith in God's word made flesh, we we can't have faith in Jesus instead of obeying God's law.

All of God's laws were given for our own good in order to teach us ho to be blessed (Deuteronomy 6:24, 10:12-13), though that doesn't mean that we aren't obligated to obey them. God's law is spiritual (Romans 7:14), which means that it has always been intended to teach us deeper spiritual principles, which are aspects of God's nature/fruits of the Spirit, which is who the Son is at the exact image of God's nature (Hebrews 1:3).
I think one would be hard pressed to find a Christian who does not believe that we are to obey all of the spiritual aspects of God's law. But you seem to be saying we are to obey the written law as given to Moses. Either that are you are arguing a strawman.
There is a spiritual principle that the 7th day Sabbath, the yearly Sabbaths, and 7-year Sabbaths, and the seven 7-year Sabbaths have in common that they are intended to teach us, but that doesn't mean that they are not true rests, rather if we correctly understand that principle, then we will take actions that are examples of it including keeping the 7th day holy.
The seventh day sabbath is a principle teaching us to rest one day in seven and in that rest to acknowledge God as sovereign Creator over all His creation.

The seventh year rest was for the land, which is an agricultural principle, and to teach trust in Him as the source of all that He gives. Our provider. The one who feeds us, and is trustworthy. Again acknowledging through obedience that He is sovereign King.

The seven year sabbaths deals with debt and property, and teaches mercy. All are in sevens, which is symbolic of the perfection in all things of God. It is His universe, we are subject to Him, are sojourners in His world.
In Hebrews 3:18-19, they did not enter into Gods rest because of their disobedience/unbelief, in Ezekiel 20:13, it specifically mentions that they greatly profaned God's Sabbaths, and in Hebrews 4:9-11, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, we should rest from our work as God rested from His, and we should strive to enter into that rest so that no one may fall away by the same sort of disobedience, so trying to use entering into that rest to justify the same sort of disobedience is the opposite of what was being said.
Disobedience is the very definition of "no rest" biblically speaking. Profaning the Sabbaths was an indication that they had no trust, did not see God through faith as Creator and Sovereign over them. But you are presenting a strawman when you indicate that they (?) are justifying disobedience. Of course we are all guilty of that in some way and at some times, the process of sanctification is life long and is something the Holy Spirit does in us. The rest we have being in Christ through faith, is we are not striving for salvation through our fleshly efforts of law keeping, and our failures do not condemn us as they condemned the disobedient Israelites who were under the law, legally. Christ is our rest. He did the perfect work of perfect righteousness and it is counted as ours through faith. That my friend is how He defeats the power of sin and death over His people.
In 1 John 2:6, those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked, which is because the way to be in Christ is by acting in accordance with His nature through following his example of obedience to God's law, and this is where salvation is because salvation is from living in transgression of it (Matthew 1:21). In Matthew 23:23, Jesus said that faith is one of the weightier matters of the law, so obedience to it is the way to have faith in His person and work, not our work. God's commands are His works.
1 John 2:1-2 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin, But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father---Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins,

I think what you are doing is bringing an accusation against salvation through Christ alone and faith alone. But your argument against it is a strawman. Christians know they are to obey God. That is part and parcel of being in Him through faith. Not only do we know that, but we desire that. But that does not mean the written legal code, but the spiritual aspects that are in in. The legal written code has passed away and been replaced (that code having been fulfilled by Christ)with a new covenant. "By grace you have been saved, through faith, and that is not of yourselves but is a gift of God, not of works, that no one should boast."

The way to be in Christ is through faith. To trust in Christ and Christ alone for salvation. Our actions is not what places us in Him. Obedience does not produce faith. Faith produces obedience.

How exactly do you keep it “holy”?
Thanks
Something that is holy is set apart, so we keep it holy by making a distinction between it and the other days, such as by cleaning the house before the Sabbath, dressing up, and eating a festive meal to mark the start of the Sabbath preferably with or as guests, then spending the next day at synagogue in prayer, study, and fellowship while refraining from creative work, buying goods, or lighting a fire.

I think one would be hard pressed to find a Christian who does not believe that we are to obey all of the spiritual aspects of God's law. But you seem to be saying we are to obey the written law as given to Moses. Either that are you are arguing a strawman.
Christians might affirm that we should keep the spiritual aspects of God's law, but that is usually code for refusing to do what it instructs, which is neither keeping the spiritual or physical aspects. We can't keep the spiritual principle of love instead of doing the physical things that are examples of that principle. For example, we can't keep the spiritual principle of love instead of obeying God's laws for how to love.

The seventh day sabbath is a principle teaching us to rest one day in seven and in that rest to acknowledge God as sovereign Creator over all His creation.
Keeping the 7th day holy testifies that there is a Creator who created the world in six days, who rested on the seventh day, who sanctified it, who sanctifies us, and who saves us out of bondage, so those who believe in the truth of these things will keep the 7th day holy while those who do not believe in the truth of these things will not. The Command to keep the 7th day holy teaches us to keep the 7th day holy, not to rest one day in seven.

The seventh year rest was for the land, which is an agricultural principle, and to teach trust in Him as the source of all that He gives. Our provider. The one who feeds us, and is trustworthy. Again acknowledging through obedience that He is sovereign King.

The seven year sabbaths deals with debt and property, and teaches mercy. All are in sevens, which is symbolic of the perfection in all things of God. It is His universe, we are subject to Him, are sojourners in His world.
If someone in the land of Israel believes in the truth of those things, then they will live in a way that testifies about them by obeying those commands. There is no value in learning a spiritual principle if it doesn't lead us to take physical actions that are examples of it. The way to believe that God is merciful is by showing mercy.

Disobedience is the very definition of "no rest" biblically speaking. Profaning the Sabbaths was an indication that they had no trust, did not see God through faith as Creator and Sovereign over them. But you are presenting a strawman when you indicate that they (?) are justifying disobedience. Of course we are all guilty of that in some way and at some times, the process of sanctification is life long and is something the Holy Spirit does in us. The rest we have being in Christ through faith, is we are not striving for salvation through our fleshly efforts of law keeping, and our failures do not condemn us as they condemned the disobedient Israelites who were under the law, legally. Christ is our rest. He did the perfect work of perfect righteousness and it is counted as ours through faith. That my friend is how He defeats the power of sin and death over His people.
I frequently see people argue that Jesus is our rest, therefore we don't need to keep the 7th day holy, or the Sabbath is not the true rest, therefore we don't need to keep the 7th day holy, so they are trying to justify their disobedience instead of repenting of it. The reality is that part of the way that Christ is our rest is by us obeying the command to keep the 7th day holy, so who say that Christ is our rest to justify their refusal to keep the 7th day holy are missing the whole point.

Jesus set a sinless example of how to walk in obedience to God's law and in Matthew 11:28-30, he invited people to come to him for rest and to learn from him, not to come to him for rest from learning for him. Furthermore, by Jesus saying that we would find rest for our souls, he was referencing Jeremiah 6:16-19, where God's law is described as the good way where we will find rest for our souls. This rest for our souls comes from having faith in God to guide us in how to rightly live through his law, not from taking a break from following God's guidance. Someone who thinks that obeying God's law is about trying to earn our salvation robs our souls of the rest that it was intended to give us because they will never know if they have done enough.

1 John 2:1-2 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin, But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father---Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins,

I think what you are doing is bringing an accusation against salvation through Christ alone and faith alone. But your argument against it is a strawman. Christians know they are to obey God. That is part and parcel of being in Him through faith. Not only do we know that, but we desire that. But that does not mean the written legal code, but the spiritual aspects that are in in. The legal written code has passed away and been replaced (that code having been fulfilled by Christ)with a new covenant. "By grace you have been saved, through faith, and that is not of yourselves but is a gift of God, not of works, that no one should boast."

The way to be in Christ is through faith. To trust in Christ and Christ alone for salvation. Our actions is not what places us in Him. Obedience does not produce faith. Faith produces obedience.
The Son is the exact image of God's character (Hebrews 1:3), so he is the embodiment holiness, righteousness, goodness, justice, mercy, faithfulness, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, self-control, and so forth expressed through setting a sinless example for us to follow of how to walk in obedience to God's law, so the purpose of the written law is to teach us ow to express those spiritual principles and the way to have salvation through faith in him alone is through being in his image through following his example. Does someone lean on their own understanding of right and wrong by doing what is right in their own eyes or do they rely only upon the image of God to correctly divide between how they should live? Jesus is the embodiment of God's word, so us embodying God's word through follow his example is not putting our faith in something other than him alone. It is contradictory to think that we should have faith in God for salvation, but not in what He has commanded for salvation, but rather relying only on what God has commanded is the way to have faith in Him alone for salvation. Instructions for how to embody God's character can't be abolished without first abolishing God, which is why the New Covenant still involves following God's eternal law (Jeremiah 31:33). In Psalms 119:29-30, he wanted to put false ways far from him, for God to be gracious to him by teaching him to obey His law, and he chose the way of faith by setting it before him, so this has always been the one and only way of salvation by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone.

Christians might affirm that we should keep the spiritual aspects of God's law, but that is usually code for refusing to do what it instructs,
That is a totally unfounded accusation. Where do you get it from? Unless you can demonstrate that that is true, don't say it again.

Back