• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

Irresistible Grace in Sanctification?

Conundrum, that.
The Holy Spirit works below consciousness on the very center of man's being that his will is transformed in such a way that he turns from sin and towards God freely and gladly.

@Josheb
Just for the record, since you are reformed. There is no such thing as a saving grace of God which prepares men for introduction into a saved state, it would only prove futile to attain that end. According to the reformed faith, God's saving grace is always efficacious. It never touches a person without bringing him to salvation in Christ.
There is no prevenient grace that merely prepares a man for salvation, there is also nothing in a man's experience prior to him being placed in Christ by God which in any sense produces the infusion of new life. Which only takes place in the moment of regeneration. The Holy Spirit does not even use the word that has been preached as a means to effect the quickening of the soul.

But it is a fact that God does providentially control a man's life in such a way that he comes in touch with the hearing of Jesus, but this is a matter of common grace and in this way is the only way it can be considered a preparation for the regenerate life. The elect are objects of God's eternal love and He guides them from the moment they are born until the time of their rebirth.

We speak of irresistible Grace in calling, justification and glorification, what about in (actual) sanctification? Or is that a Wesleyan concept?
You know the more I look at this question the more I think it's a great question.

For now, here is one verse to start it off.

But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me. 1 Cor 15:10.

I would say, yes, sanctification in a believer is irresistible.

You know the more I look at this question the more I think it's a great question.

For now, here is one verse to start it off.

But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me. 1 Cor 15:10.

I would say, yes, sanctification in a believer is irresistible.
I also sometimes think in terms of what we 'resist', God over-resists e.g...

Hebrews 12:6-7 NKJV
For whom the LORD loves He chastens, And scourges every son whom He receives." [7] If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten?
etc.

I also sometimes think in terms of what we 'resist', God over-resists e.g...

Hebrews 12:6-7 NKJV
For whom the LORD loves He chastens, And scourges every son whom He receives." [7] If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten?
etc.
Chastening is a great and natural example of how it is irresistible.

Back