• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Dungeons and Dragons

Carbon

Courage, dear heart.
Reaction score
Faith
Reformed
Country
USA
Marital status
Married
Politics
Conservative
Dungeons & Dragons?
I've heard many times throughout the years that the game is evil.
I'm not so sure about that.

Thoughts? Question? Comments?

As far as I know it wasn't on the scene during my bc days. Role playing wouldn't have been my cup of tea anyways. So I got nothing.

It's a very old debate. The game was inspired by Lord of the Rings, so at a surface level it's no more evil than that. If you consider Lord of the Rings to be bad news, then definitely avoid D&D. But if you just consider Lord of the Rings to be harmless fantasy, then D&D can be played with the same approach. The game is designed so that a gamemaster (GM) creates a world using the game rules and run the game for the players. Consequently it's up to the GM to determine just how light or dark the game is. Players can find themselve running around with fairies and unicorns, or making deals with devils depending on the GM.

So some GMs can give the game a bad name. Now, one could fault the game for not encouraging players to make lighter environments, but I don't think the game should be held responsible for people who misuse it.

The game does include pantheons of gods that clerics worship to get divine spells, this is true, but this is in a pure fantasy setting, and in no way encourages worship of those gods (which include fictional ones created by the game designers) by the players. This is a standard fantasy approach that can be seen in a great many different games and shows.

Last edited:
I would only make the exhortation that "as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he." (Proverbs 23:7)

So, just realize that the fact that you are role-playing doesn't exempt you from judgment by the Lord over things that you might do through your character in the game.

If you kill, in the game, then you are guilty of violating the commandment, "Thou shalt not kill."

What you do in the game is effectively what is in your heart and you will be held accountable for it by God in the day of judgment.

If you kill, in the game, then you are guilty of violating the commandment, "Thou shalt not kill."

What you do in the game is effectively what is in your heart and you will be held accountable for it by God in the day of judgment.
I think the appropriate term here is "murder", not "kill". Killing enemies and wrongdoers is common in the Bible.

I think the appropriate term here is "murder", not "kill". Killing enemies and wrongdoers is common in the Bible.
Do what you think you need to do in order to justify yourself.

Back