• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Dark matter, dark energy, and spiritual realm

TonyChanYT

Sophomore
Reaction score
There are two kinds of matter particles in the universe. Some scientists think that ordinary matter comprises baryons, while dark matter is non-baryonic. Ordinary matter is visible to our eyes and mechanical sensors, while dark matter cannot be detected directly.

CERN:

Unlike normal matter, dark matter does not interact with the electromagnetic force. This means it does not absorb, reflect or emit light. Researchers have been able to infer the existence of dark matter only from the gravitational effect it seems to have on visible matter.
A galaxy is held together by ordinary matter and dark matter. Dark matter provides the gravitational "glue" that holds galaxies together and prevents them from flying apart as they rotate. Dark matter could be some kind of invisible spiritual substance.

While dark matter explains the hidden gravitational force that pulls a galaxy in place, a seemingly opposite anti-gravitational force pushes galaxies away from one another: dark energy.

NASA:

One explanation for dark energy is that it is a property of space. ... As more space comes into existence, more of this energy-of-space would appear. As a result, this form of energy would cause the universe to expand faster and faster.
NASA:

It turns out that roughly 68% of the universe is dark energy. Dark matter makes up about 27%. The rest - everything on Earth, everything ever observed with all of our instruments, all normal matter - adds up to less than 5% of the universe.
Over the course of a human lifetime, the total amount of dark matter to pass through your body doesn't even add up to one gram.

Does the Bible mention dark matter?

I think so. Genesis 1:

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and void,
Was this the invisible dark earth existing in the spiritual realm?

and darkness was over the surface of the deep.
Watch the parallelism: darkness parallels Spirit of God.

And the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters.
Was the spiritual realm composed of dark matter and energy?

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.
Then came ordinary matter and energy. The physical, visible universe began.

4 God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness
as if darkness was material like light.

Isaiah 45:

7a I form light and create darkness.
The invisible became visible, Hebrews 11:

3 By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.
From the invisible (non-baryonic) matter came the visible (baryonic) matter.

Jeremiah 23:

24 Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him? declares the LORD. Do I not fill [G4137] heaven and earth? declares the LORD.
There is an invisible attribute of God that fills the universe. It could be some kind of invisible particle, the so-called God's particle.

Colossians 1:

15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in Him all things were created, things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities. All things were created through Him and for Him. 17 He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.
All things visible, ordinary matter, and invisible dark matter hold together.

Berean Study Bible Job 10:

22 to a land of utter darkness, of deep shadow and disorder, where even the light is like darkness.”
Why can't humans see angels?

Angels are made of non-baryonic matter.

Angels are made of non-baryonic matter.
Interesting hypothesis but it assumes everything invisible is baryonic and only baryonic is invisible - neither of which is yet known. Angels could be made of non-baryonic invisible matter (or energy, since energy and matter are simply variations on the same theme [e=mc2]). You must also consider to other facts: 10 Everything God created in the first six days, whether dark energy/matter or not, was declared by God to be "very good" (Gen. 1:31, and 2) Angels are often visible so whatever they are made of it must be something that can be seen and not seen with the naked human eye, something that can change physicality as either the angel or God wants.

If you are into this sort of intersection between scripture and physics then let me recommend Michio Kaku's book, "Hyperspace." He surveys the history of field theory(-ies) from Newton on, and he does so in layman's terms. The Christian reader with some knowledge of scripture and basic math and science skills will readily observe the affirmation of scripture after scripture and the biblical paradigm (Kaku is, reportedly deist, not Christian per se). It's a very good read. I also recommend Roger Penrose's "The Emperor's New Mind," by Roger Penrose, and "The Dark Side of the Universe" by James Trefil (if you can find a copy). The Nobel Laureate Penrose is the physicist who supervised Stephen Hawkings doctorate and "Emperor's..." is a survey of various topics within physics and pop culture (like, "Are Star Trek style transporters really possible?) and his exposition on entropy is astounding. Penrose considered himself agnostic, believing the universe did not exist by chance, and had design and purpose. Trefil is a cosmologist who taught at one of the state universities where studied. I do not know where Trefil is theologically, but he was tolerant of religion. He wrote a couple of books contemplating the intersection of physics and philosophy/religion and, on occasion, had a few positive things to say about creationism but I've never personally got the impression he was theist to any significant degree. His books are still very informative. The mathematician and physicist John Polkinghorne is also an ordained Anglican minister and noted theologian who wrote a book titled, "Quantum Theory" that's written for the layman, and he's written several books about the intersection of faith/religion/creationism and secular physics/cosmology.

Give "Hyperspace" a read. I think you'll like it and benefit.

Back