• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

A proposition (Calvinistic or no?)

Certain people also have insulted me by calling me a troll...

an accusation without evidence.
You are a troll with ample evidence provided by you. If you find that insulting, don't be a troll. There is nothing hidden that will not be revealed, and we can all deceive ourselves sometimes, but God looks right down into our very hearts and sees all.

It is my mo to both conceal (Proverbs 12:23) and disperse (Proverbs 15:7) knowledge, by giving the references and not quoting the scripture in question.

If anyone wants to study it out, they will see that what I am saying is true. If anyone will not, then they probably wouldn't have received my conclusions anyway.
What a royal cop out troll.

satan is the accuser of the brethren (Revelation 12:10-11);

And that is all I'm going to say about that;

Except that I am redeemed by the blood of the Lamb (v.11).

I will only say to this that soil types 2 and 3 in the parable of the sower are living plants (which I would identify as saved, for all practical purposes, in the present tense; though they may not be of the elect).

Thank you for sharing how you understand that parable. However, I thought you were here to learn or establish what Calvinists believe. How is your autobiographical material relevant?

Again, as I said, Calvinism teaches that choosing Christ avails infinitely much, and always. However, those who are not elect never choose Christ—ever.

So, if you choose him, you're chosen. Just want to establish this.

Close. Not are, but were. If you choose him, you were chosen (past perfect). "Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been fathered by God" (1 John 5:1, again past perfect).

Not [freedom] from what, but to what? And the answer is: To being able to make a free will decision for or against Christ.

I think we can work with this interpretation to remain on topic. Let's assume for the sake of argument that where the Spirit of the Lord is there is freedom to make a free-will decision for or against Christ. According to Paul in this passage, it's the Spirit who removes the veil, but for whom does he remove it? Everyone?

No, only in Christ is it removed (v. 14, ὅτι ἐν Χριστῷ καταργεῖται·).

[Paul] resisted the Holy Ghost (Acts 7:51), yet God saved him eventually.

Look again at this passage you have cited. These were stubborn people with uncircumcised hearts and ears (v. 51, including a young man named Saul, v. 58). That's one of the ways the Bible describes being unregenerate. Truly, those governed by the flesh with uncircumcised hearts and ears always resist the Holy Spirit. They are literally hostile to God; they do not submit to his law (cf. 1 John 3:23) and can't please him (Romans 8:7-8). They are—wait for it—totally depraved.

God must open a person's heart before they can respond in faith (John 6:44, 65; cf. v. 37). "A woman named Lydia, a dealer in purple cloth from the city of Thyatira, a God-fearing woman, listened to us. The Lord opened her heart to respond to what Paul was saying" (Act 16:14; cf. Luke 24:45). "For we know, brothers and sisters loved by God, that he has chosen you, because our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and deep conviction" (1 Thess 1:4-5). "My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom but on God's power" (1 Cor 2:4-5). "The one who belongs to God listens and responds to God's words. You don't listen and respond because you don't belong to God" (John 8:47).

Yes, Paul resisted the Holy Spirit—until God circumcised his heart (effectual calling), whereby Paul was born again, brought from death to life, called out of darkness into God's wonderful light, becoming a new creation in Christ Jesus. It is an act of God alone (monergistic) that enables us to respond in faith, including Paul.

Grace was not irresistible, for Paul was able to resist it for a season. … God eventually got a hold of him …

Wait a minute now. I thought God already had ahold of him but Paul was resisting. How does God eventually get ahold of someone he already has ahold of?

… but there are those who resist grace whom God never lays a hold of.

If God wants to save everyone, why would there be anyone he NEVER lays ahold of?

How does [Luke 19:37] teach that evangelism isn't necessary?

Two things. First, it was a copy-paste error. As the context of the passage should have made clear, I was referring to verses 37-40 (cf. "I tell you, if they keep silent, the very stones will cry out"). I mean, we're dealing with a God who will even use a donkey to speak for him. Second, I never said evangelism isn't necessary. That was a strawman you introduced. I said, "God doesn't NEED us to evangelize, he WANTS us to and commands us to do so."

That no one can come to Christ unless they are drawn to Christ does not mean that those who are drawn to Christ are necessarily given to Christ.

You already said that, and I addressed it. Please respond to what I said. Don't simply reassert your claim.

"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them" (John 6:44). "Those the Father has given me will come to me" (v. 37). The Father gives the sheep to the Son, and they are each drawn by the Father in their due time.

Those who are drawn to Christ are enabled to come to Christ. From there, they have a choice.

And their choice is assured by God's faithfulness: "I shall lose none of all those he has given me" (John 6:39). "No one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand" (John 10:27-30).

Jesus may have as well said to some of them that "you are not yet my sheep."

I asked you to respond to what Jesus said. I didn't ask you to imagine something you think he may also have said. The point is, he laid down his life for the sheep—and some are not his sheep. That is limited atonement, right there.

P.S. As I understand it, sheep and elect are interchangeable terms. Just as nobody becomes one of his elect at any point during human history—they are chosen in Christ before the foundation of the world—so also nobody becomes one of his sheep. He is in the business of gathering his lost sheep together into one fold, his church.

As you said, faith is not meritorious.

I'm glad that we agree on that. It's a big one.

I believe I have heard many Calvinists teach that regeneration precedes faith.

There is a huge difference between "regeneration precedes faith" (as you said here) and "regeneration precedes salvation" (which you said previously). All Calvinists believe the former. You said that some Calvinists on these boards have asserted the latter. We have no reason to believe that, for you have not provided any.

Election, regeneration, repentance and faith, justification, sanctification and so on, all of these things together constitute "salvation."

I am not going to provide a link because it would take too long to find the specific posts. You are going to have to take my word for it or else continue to call me a liar.

I reject both options. I choose instead to not believe you.

If you want people to believe your claim about what some Calvinists have said, you need to show that any Calvinists have actually said it (which helps establish your credibility). What you did is make a claim but provide zero evidence for it (which undermines your credibility). I am willing to take someone's word on things but only if they had established credibility previously. You have not. In fact, you keep choosing to undermine your credibility. It's weird and unfortunate, but to each their own.

And what you did, by the way, is yet another example of fallacious rhetoric. In this case, what you did was use weasel words, which is language that is intentionally vague or ambiguous and often used to create an impression of specificity or accuracy while actually avoiding direct commitment (e.g., "some Calvinists on these boards have said"). Such words can be used to influence the readers without providing reliable, concrete information, and with plausible deniability baked in.

What I am saying is that certain Calvinists say …

See, you're just persisting in these baseless claims. What did they say, and where did they say it? You could be telling the truth, but how could anyone know? "Trust me, bro."

With your history of posting strawman caricatures of what Calvinists believe, you want us to believe your claims about what Calvinists say? Good luck with that.

I feel that you are calling me a liar (the Lord judge between me and you).

The evidence does not support that, so I have no idea why you would feel that. What I am suggesting is that you aren't credible. I can't say whether you're telling the truth or not because I don't know one way or the other. All I have is your controversial claim bereft of any evidence.

If that is the case, then there are many Calvinists who teach as Calvinism what is actually not Calvinism.

You are just stacking up baseless controversial claims. We have no reason to believe that any Calvinists teach what you're claiming they do, because you are not providing any.

Thank you for sharing how you understand that parable. However, I thought you were here to learn or establish what Calvinists believe. How is your autobiographical material relevant?
(y) (y) (y) (y) (y)
You are just stacking up baseless controversial claims. We have no reason to believe that any Calvinists teach what you're claiming they do, because you are not providing any.
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Or responding to others' requests when asked, not matter how many ask or how many times asked.

Let's establish here what is believed by Calvinists. What does every Calvinist here have to say of the following proposition?

There is the concept when considering Calvinism that, "I may not be one of the elect; and therefore, if I am not, choosing Christ will not avail for me."
That's not exclusive to Calvinism.
Pastor Chuck Smith put it this way: "If you choose Christ, you will find that you are of the elect." An analogy has been given,

"Everyone at some point stands outside a door and written on the top is "whosoever will, let him come".

Those who enter in by that door will find a heavenly table with a place set specifically for them with a nametag with their name written on it at their place at the table. They look back at the door and it says, "Predestined from before the foundations of the world."

Accurate or inaccurate to Calvinistic teaching?
Inaccurate.
I would like to get a bunch of responses from different Calvinists on this one.
Done

What say you?

Again, as I said, Calvinism teaches that choosing Christ avails infinitely much, and always. However, those who are not elect never choose Christ—ever.

Close. Not are, but were. If you choose him, you were chosen (past perfect). "Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been fathered by God" (1 John 5:1, again past perfect).

I think we can work with this interpretation to remain on topic. Let's assume for the sake of argument that where the Spirit of the Lord is there is freedom to make a free-will decision for or against Christ. According to Paul in this passage, it's the Spirit who removes the veil, but for whom does he remove it? Everyone?

No, only in Christ is it removed (v. 14, ὅτι ἐν Χριστῷ καταργεῖται·).
He removes it when a person is drawn to Christ; and then the person has an opportunity to receive or reject Christ.

Look again at this passage you have cited. These were stubborn people with uncircumcised hearts and ears (v. 51, including a young man named Saul, v. 58). That's one of the ways the Bible describes being unregenerate. Truly, those governed by the flesh with uncircumcised hearts and ears always resist the Holy Spirit. They are literally hostile to God; they do not submit to his law (cf. 1 John 3:23) and can't please him (Romans 8:7-8). They are—wait for it—totally depraved.

God must open a person's heart before they can respond in faith (John 6:44, 65; cf. v. 37). "A woman named Lydia, a dealer in purple cloth from the city of Thyatira, a God-fearing woman, listened to us. The Lord opened her heart to respond to what Paul was saying" (Act 16:14; cf. Luke 24:45). "For we know, brothers and sisters loved by God, that he has chosen you, because our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and deep conviction" (1 Thess 1:4-5). "My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom but on God's power" (1 Cor 2:4-5). "The one who belongs to God listens and responds to God's words. You don't listen and respond because you don't belong to God" (John 8:47).

Yes, Paul resisted the Holy Spirit—until God circumcised his heart (effectual calling), whereby Paul was born again, brought from death to life, called out of darkness into God's wonderful light, becoming a new creation in Christ Jesus. It is an act of God alone (monergistic) that enables us to respond in faith, including Paul.

God was drawing Paul to Christ in Acts 7, even while he was resisting the Holy Spirit. The Father gave him to Christ when he made the decision to be baptized, and receive Christ.

Wait a minute now. I thought God already had ahold of him but Paul was resisting. How does God eventually get ahold of someone he already has ahold of?

Paul became a Christian, not when Stephen was preaching to him. At that time, he was resisting the Holy Ghost. God hadn't laid a hold of him yet. God laid a hold of him when he was baptized.

If God wants to save everyone, why would there be anyone he NEVER lays ahold of?

Because some people don't choose to believe in, receive, and follow Christ.

Two things. First, it was a copy-paste error. As the context of the passage should have made clear, I was referring to verses 37-40 (cf. "I tell you, if they keep silent, the very stones will cry out"). I mean, we're dealing with a God who will even use a donkey to speak for him. Second, I never said evangelism isn't necessary. That was a strawman you introduced. I said, "God doesn't NEED us to evangelize, he WANTS us to and commands us to do so."

What's the difference?

You already said that, and I addressed it. Please respond to what I said. Don't simply reassert your claim.

You are going to have to address it again; because I didn't get it the first time. Also, I may have addressed your response and shown that your response isn't valid.

"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them" (John 6:44). "Those the Father has given me will come to me" (v. 37). The Father gives the sheep to the Son, and they are each drawn by the Father in their due time.

John 6:44 is speaking of those who are drawn, not those who are given.

The sheer blindness!

And their choice is assured by God's faithfulness: "I shall lose none of all those he has given me" (John 6:39). "No one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand" (John 10:27-30).

See above statement.

I asked you to respond to what Jesus said. I didn't ask you to imagine something you think he may also have said. The point is, he laid down his life for the sheep—and some are not his sheep. That is limited atonement, right there.

No; because those who are not His sheep now may become His sheep later.

Jesus spoke to the priests when He said, "you are not my sheep".

The same priests became obedient to the faith later (Acts 6:7).

P.S. As I understand it, sheep and elect are interchangeable terms. Just as nobody becomes one of his elect at any point during human history—they are chosen in Christ before the foundation of the world—so also nobody becomes one of his sheep. He is in the business of gathering his lost sheep together into one fold, his church.

Your understanding is faulty.

Jesus' sheep are those who are currently following Him (John 10:27).

I'm glad that we agree on that. It's a big one.

There is a huge difference between "regeneration precedes faith" (as you said here) and "regeneration precedes salvation" (which you said previously). All Calvinists believe the former. You said that some Calvinists on these boards have asserted the latter. We have no reason to believe that, for you have not provided any.

Since faith comes before salvation, if regeneration precedes faith, it also precedes salvation.

Election, regeneration, repentance and faith, justification, sanctification and so on, all of these things together constitute "salvation."

I reject both options. I choose instead to not believe you.

edited

If you want people to believe your claim about what some Calvinists have said, you need to show that any Calvinists have actually said it (which helps establish your credibility). What you did is make a claim but provide zero evidence for it (which undermines your credibility). I am willing to take someone's word on things but only if they had established credibility previously. You have not. In fact, you keep choosing to undermine your credibility. It's weird and unfortunate, but to each their own.

The record is in the previous conversations that have been even between us. Stop trying to pretend that we haven't discussed these things before. Just because we are in a different thread doesn't mean "lurkers" won't also be reading the threads wherein we have had the beginning of this conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:
<cont'd>
And what you did, by the way, is yet another example of fallacious rhetoric. In this case, what you did was use weasel words, which is language that is intentionally vague or ambiguous and often used to create an impression of specificity or accuracy while actually avoiding direct commitment (e.g., "some Calvinists on these boards have said"). Such words can be used to influence the readers without providing reliable, concrete information, and with plausible deniability baked in.

I know that one of your main arguments is that I am utilizing straw man left and right to make my case.

I will agree with you there; that some of what I am addressing as Calvinistic doctrine is not believed by every Calvinist. See may thread on the disparity within Calvinism.

See, you're just persisting in these baseless claims. What did they say, and where did they say it? You could be telling the truth, but how could anyone know? "Trust me, bro."

Stop pretending you weren't in on the conversation when these things were addressed.

Anyone who reads more than one thread at these boards will come across the conversation that has been held between us.

The record is here on these boards.

All one needs to do is search for it.

With your history of posting strawman caricatures of what Calvinists believe, you want us to believe your claims about what Calvinists say? Good luck with that.

Of course it is your main argument that Calvinists do not believe what I say they believe. Yet I have ascertained what they believe by listening to the preaching of Calvinists here and elsewhere.

You may not believe what I say they believe; but that only shows the disparity within Calvinism.

The evidence does not support that, so I have no idea why you would feel that. What I am suggesting is that you aren't credible. I can't say whether you're telling the truth or not because I don't know one way or the other. All I have is your controversial claim bereft of any evidence.

And you keep pretending that you have not been privy to the conversations that have been held over these issues for even the past few days.

The reason I provide is that I am telling the truth, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Ghost, when I say that Calvinists do in fact teach what I say that they teach. I have heard it from the horse's mouth. Either I have hallucinated or else they really do teach these things.

@justbyfaith

You said that in 2 Corinthians 3 the Spirit removes the veil when a person is drawn to Christ, who then has an opportunity to receive or reject Christ, that in Acts 7 God was drawing Paul to Christ but he was resisting God, that people can become his sheep during human history, that the priests to whom Christ spoke in John 10 were the same ones in Acts 6 who became obedient to the faith, that faith comes before salvation—and on and on.

As I said before, "I thought you were here to learn or establish what Calvinists believe. How is your autobiographical material relevant?" You keep arguing for what you believe in a thread that was supposed to be about Calvinists weighing in with what they believe. Again and again, you consistently choose to undermine your own credibility. I don't get it.

P.S. It is entertaining to hear you say that God was drawing Paul to Christ in Acts 7 and, at the same time, that he hadn't laid ahold of Paul yet in Acts 7. Somehow, God was drawing Paul to Christ without laying ahold of him. Okay then.

Stop pretending you weren't in on the conversation when these things were addressed. … You keep pretending that you have not been privy to the conversations that have been held over these issues for even the past few days.

What conversations? Where? With whom? How can I pretend I wasn't in a conversation you can't even identify?

And, indeed, lurkers can observe that I have been away for almost a month. Whatever conversations you've been having the past few days, they did not include me.

The reason I provide is that I am telling the truth, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Ghost, when I say that Calvinists do in fact teach what I say that they teach. I have heard it from the horse's mouth. Either I have hallucinated or else they really do teach these things.

Any conversation I have with you, I can prove what you said by quoting you with a hyperlinked citation. And I believe my credibility is worth the effort.

That's the difference between us.

deleted for violation of rules 2,5,6,18
False accusations leveled against me by satan (Revelation 12:10-11).

However, I am redeemed by the blood of the Lamb (v.11).

And it is certainly not trolling to call me a jerk.

You have the right to say that my comments are hateful; but I don't have the right to say the same about your comments.

I see the double-standard brewing.

@justbyfaith

You said that in 2 Corinthians 3 the Spirit removes the veil when a person is drawn to Christ, who then has an opportunity to receive or reject Christ, that in Acts 7 God was drawing Paul to Christ but he was resisting God, that people can become his sheep during human history, that the priests to whom Christ spoke in John 10 were the same ones in Acts 6 who became obedient to the faith, that faith comes before salvation—and on and on.

As I said before, "I thought you were here to learn or establish what Calvinists believe. How is your autobiographical material relevant?" You keep arguing for what you believe in a thread that was supposed to be about Calvinists weighing in with what they believe. Again and again, you consistently choose to undermine your own credibility. I don't get it.

P.S. It is entertaining to hear you say that God was drawing Paul to Christ in Acts 7 and, at the same time, that he hadn't laid ahold of Paul yet in Acts 7. Somehow, God was drawing Paul to Christ without laying ahold of him. Okay then.

What conversations? Where? With whom? How can I pretend I wasn't in a conversation you can't even identify?

And, indeed, lurkers can observe that I have been away for almost a month. Whatever conversations you've been having the past few days, they did not include me.

Any conversation I have with you, I can prove what you said by quoting you with a hyperlinked citation. And I believe my credibility is worth the effort.

That's the difference between us.
Just read the few threads that are at the forefront of the Calvinism / Arminianism debate if you are brand new to the conversation.

I'm lazy too...so if you don't want to go to the trouble to read through those threads, then just ignore my comments since that is what you want to do anyway.

But if you take the time to look, you will see that what I am saying is true.

False accusations leveled against me by satan (Revelation 12:10-11).

However, I am redeemed by the blood of the Lamb (v.11).

And it is certainly not trolling to call me a jerk.

You have the right to say that my comments are hateful; but I don't have the right to say the same about your comments.

I see the double-standard brewing.
You have all the power (except that I have the power to pray that the Holy Spirit may convict you...and also that He might seek out your wickedness till He finds none (Psalms 10:15) and that He may receive you as a son (Hebrews 12:6)...so I expect that this post will even be deleted and / or that I will be banned for these things.

But if I am banned, I will "go outside the city and wipe off the dust of my feet against you"...

You should really look into what that might mean for you in the long run.

You have all the power (except that I have the power to pray that the Holy Spirit may convict you...and also that He might seek out your wickedness till He finds none (Psalms 10:15) and that He may receive you as a son (Hebrews 12:6)...so I expect that this post will even be deleted and / or that I will be banned for these things.

But if I am banned, I will "go outside the city and wipe off the dust of my feet against you"...

You should really look into what that might mean for you in the long run.
Luk 10:10, But into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you not, go your ways out into the streets of the same, and say,
Luk 10:11, Even the very dust of your city, which cleaveth on us, we do wipe off against you: notwithstanding be ye sure of this, that the kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.
Luk 10:12, But I say unto you, that it shall be more tolerable in that day for Sodom, than for that city.

Other Calvinists have said that it is accurate. Which, again, shows the disparity in Calvinism.
My reply is no different: take it up with them and stop applying others' words to my posts. You either can address the content of my posts or you cannot.

What exactly are you referring to?
Evidence.

• You post no evidence.
  • Multiple posters have asked you to do so.
  • There is no evidence even after multiple requests.
  • And you pretend you do not understand.
  • The op asks for various Calvinists perspectives and then complains about the diversity.

Do you know what that makes you?

I too began in true faith with the poster. However when you see him going from thread to thread repeating the same straw man fallacies as though they had never been addressed and clarified, then starting a new thread as is done here, to repeat the same fallacies, while he is still engaged in other threads on the same subject and same fallacies---yeah I would call that a troll.
So if the poster has a habit of not engaging questions, only posting a falsified viewpoint, straw mans Calvinists intentionally without learning from correction, then why entertain a dishonest, unrepentant, disruptive person in the forum? It seems the staff would be allowing someone to subvert the very intention of the forum.

So if the poster has a habit of not engaging questions, only posting a falsified viewpoint, straw mans Calvinists intentionally without learning from correction, then why entertain a dishonest, unrepentant, disruptive person in the forum? It seems the staff would be allowing someone to subvert the very intention of the forum.
Points well-made but to some degree the dissent the misconceptions, falsehoods, lies and deliberate trolling should be addressed for the sake of the less informed. Then, when evidence mounts to the point of clear proof these threads can and should be closed, and perhaps the poster's practices addressed in private moderation resulting in either change in his practices or banning.

Titus 3:9-11
But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned.

That's God metrics, God's diagnosis, and God's prescription for treatment.

Besides, no one should be under the illusion those in dissent are not also exploiting the opportunity and visiting the op's practices upon him to highlight the underlying hypocrisy, and perhaps prove the Calvinist position of his inability to do any other than that which his insides drive. The bondage becomes increasingly clear with each new thread. It serves as an acute warning to the less informed: do not be like that guy (even if you wish to remain synergist). Personally, I'd have started editing the content to be tou-compliant many posts ago, then attempted to intervene in private and, if that was ineffective, closed the thread(s), possibly suspended the op if that didn't work but I've learned the tolerances here exceed my own and the truth is he'll leave when he stops being fed. He's already threatened to go because we're all mistreating him 😭.

No reason we can't have fun, too.

Last edited:
Back