• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

When You Fast

GoKart Mozart

Freshman
Reaction score
Faith
Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed
Politics
we're all in this together > every man for himself
This opening post is not meant to be exhaustive. In fact, it's a bit of a ramble.
I look forward to contribution(s) by others on the topic. Maybe you can offer some benefits and/or pitfalls, taught by your church(es) and Holy Scripture. I'm not asking for, nor volunteering individual practice with reason, "so that your fasting may be seen not by others."

In Matthew's Gospel Jesus said, "..whenever you fast, do not look dismal, like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces so as to show others that they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that your fasting may be seen not by others but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you."
It's not a question. It is presumed that you will participate, "when" you fast. It's not "if" you fast.

There are examples of the Apostles and Christ fasting.
Jesus was fasting when he was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. It's mentioned in three of the four Gospels. He fasted for forty days and forty nights, and afterwards he was famished.
It's no surprise that the devil leads his temptation with food. Afterall, it worked on the first man (and woman) Adam. The first sin, the original sin, involved eating food that God instructed them not to eat.

As far as the specifics of a fast goes, there's little instruction about foods, types, times, and lengths of fasts in the Bible (other than example). We do know that the Jewish people fasted, the disciples of John fasted, the Pharisees made it an issue. The rich young ruler said, "I fast twice a week.." There are some demons that can only be exorcised with prayer and fasting.

There is 1st century evidence of what the Apostles taught about a weekly fast, "But let not your fasts be with the hypocrites; for they fast on the second and fifth day of the week; but fast on the fourth day and the Preparation (Didache)." There are churches that still practice the Wednesday and Friday fasts as taught by the Apostles on a Church-wide basis.

An observation; When you fast, expect temptation.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
This opening post is not meant to be exhaustive. In fact, it's a bit of a ramble.
I look forward to contribution(s) by others on the topic. Maybe you can offer some benefits and/or pitfalls, taught by your church(es) and Holy Scripture. I'm not asking for, nor volunteering individual practice with reason, "so that your fasting may be seen not by others."

In Matthew's Gospel Jesus said, "..whenever you fast, do not look dismal, like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces so as to show others that they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that your fasting may be seen not by others but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you."
It's not a question. It is presumed that you will participate, "when" you fast. It's not "if" you fast.

There are examples of the Apostles and Christ fasting.
Jesus was fasting when he was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. It's mentioned in three of the four Gospels. He fasted for forty days and forty nights, and afterwards he was famished.
It's no surprise that the devil leads his temptation with food. Afterall, it worked on the first man (and woman) Adam. The first sin, the original sin, involved eating food that God instructed them not to eat.

As far as the specifics of a fast goes, there's little instruction about foods, types, times, and lengths of fasts in the Bible (other than example). We do know that the Jewish people fasted, the Pharisees made it an issue. The rich young ruler said, "I fast twice a week.."

There is 1st century evidence of what the Apostles taught about a weekly fast, "But let not your fasts be with the hypocrites; for they fast on the second and fifth day of the week; but fast on the fourth day and the Preparation (Didache)." There are churches that still practice the Wednesday and Friday fasts as taught by the Apostles on a Church-wide basis.

An observation; When you fast, expect temptation.

Thoughts?
A thought provoking topic.
I’ve never gave fasting much thought.

Last edited:
Why should we fast if we’re saved and have eternal security?

Back