• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

What is the Gospel?

The Gospel” is an ambiguous term for it has a different meaning to each person. The word gospel means “good news”, but the contents of the good news varies from person to person.
The Gospel of the kingdom: The kingdom over which Christ will rule for 1,000 years. 2 Samuel 7:16 And your house and your kingdom shall be made sure for ever before me. Your throne shall be established forever.’” The kingdom is spoken of by John the Baptist, Christ and his disciples and ending with the Jewish rejection of the King. Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come. (Matthew 3:1-2; Matthew 4:17; Matthew 10:5-7)

The Gospel of the Grace of God: This is the good news that Jesus Christ, the rejected King, has died on the cross for the sins of the world, that he was raised from the dead for our justification, and that by Him all that believe are justified from all things.

The Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John

"The gospel of the grace of God" (
Acts 20:24)

The gospel of “peace”
(Ephesians 6:15; 2 Corinthians 5:19; Acts 10:36)

The Everlasting Gospel: Revelation 14:6 Then I saw another angel flying directly overhead, with an eternal gospel to proclaim to those who dwell on earth, to every nation and tribe and language and people. This is preached at the end of the great tribulation immediately preceding the judgment of the nations. It is the good news to Israel and those saved during the Tribulation.

That which Paul calls, “my Gospel” (
Romans 2:16, 1 Corinthians 15:2-4): This is the Gospel of the grace of God in its fullest development, but includes the revelation of the result of that Gospel in the out calling of the Church, her relationships, position, privileges and responsibilities. There is “another Gospel” (Galatians 1:6, 2 Corinthians 11:4) “which is not another,” but a perversion of the Gospel of grace of God, against which we are warned. It has many seductive forms, but the test is one – it invariably denies the sufficiency of grace alone to save, keep, and perfect and mingles with grace some kind of human merit.

The Person of Christ:
Mark 1:1 The beginning [of the facts] of the good news (the Gospel) of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
Other gospels: Galatians 1:8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!
Salvific Gospel

Various authors

Was it ambiguous?
The use of the word "gospel" is ambiguous. It refers to "good news" but the content of the "good news" varies. If one just means "good news" then I agree, the term is not ambiguous.
  • The Gospel of the kingdom: The kingdom over which Christ will rule for 1,000 years. The kingdom is spoken of by John the Baptist, Christ and his disciples and ending with the Jewish rejection of the King. Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.
  • The Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John
  • "The gospel of the grace of God" (Acts 20:24)
  • The gospel of “peace” (Ephesians 6:15; 2 Corinthians 5:19; Acts 10:36)
  • The Everlasting Gospel: Revelation 14:6 Then I saw another angel flying directly overhead, with an eternal gospel to proclaim to those who dwell on earth, to every nation and tribe and language and people.
  • That which Paul calls, “my Gospel” (Romans 2:16, 1 Corinthians 15:2-4)
  • Other gospels: Galatians 1:8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!
Granted, the "gospel" usually applies to the salvicfic message.

The use of the word "gospel" is ambiguous. It refers to "good news" but the content of the "good news" varies. If one just means "good news" then I agree, the term is not ambiguous.
  • The Gospel of the kingdom: The kingdom over which Christ will rule for 1,000 years. The kingdom is spoken of by John the Baptist, Christ and his disciples and ending with the Jewish rejection of the King. Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.
  • The Everlasting Gospel: Revelation 14:6 Then I saw another angel flying directly overhead, with an eternal gospel to proclaim to those who dwell on earth, to every nation and tribe and language and people.
  • Other gospels: Galatians 1:8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!

And were you confused about which Gospel I was posting about?

There's only one gospel! It may have various other descriptors attached to it, in different contexts, but it's always the same (the only) gospel.

The word "gospel" does mean "good news", but not as most people think of it. The Greek word was used of a great victory by an emperor or a general. In other words, the gospel is always about Christ's victory on the Cross.

And were you confused about which Gospel I was posting about?
Probably. You know best what your intentions are. I mentioned that I believed we were looking at the subject from differing view points. I think we are both correct given the view point we were using. Not a BIGGY. :)

There's only one gospel! It may have various other descriptors attached to it, in different contexts, but it's always the same (the only) gospel.

The word "gospel" does mean "good news", but not as most people think of it. The Greek word was used of a great victory by an emperor or a general. In other words, the gospel is always about Christ's victory on the Cross.
And the life giving power from His Resurrection:)

Gotta dissent from this op. He's got some of the basics correct but digressed into peripherals and, from the outset the speaker in that video has the meaning of the word "gospel" wrong. Here's why:

The word "gospel" is generally understood as "good news," but that is not quite correct. It's not quite correct because it is incomplete. The Greek word for "gospel" is "euangalion." An evangelion is a form of good news, not just any and/or all good news. The Greek word for "good" is "kalon," and the Greek word for "news" is "akoe." That means the ordinary Greek phrase for regular, commonly occurring news that is good is "akoe kalon," NOT "euangelion."

An evangelion was a specific kind of news. It was a term used in the Greek and Roman cultures, not a term used in Israel. The Greeks and Romans would make a public proclamation anytime a noted leader accomplished a task deemed to be heroic. In Rome the practice of evangelions was reserved to announce great victories by Roman generals or the deification of a Caesar. In other words, when the writers of what we now call the New Testament used the word "gospel," or "euangelion," they were appropriating a pagan term. They were not just appropriating a pagan term; they were appropriating a pagan term used by their oppressors to subjugate the Jews. This use of the term "euangelion" would have been provocative to the Jewish audience, at best, and reprehensible to the Jewish hearer at worst. It was all the more controversial to the Gentile and especially the Roman hearer because of the Christian gospel's content.

The gospel the apostles and New Testament era Christians preached was this: Jesus is the anointed one of God and he is God. Not only is he God, but he has done something that not even Caesar (in his faux divinity) can do: defeat death, come back from the grave, and sit with God on God's throne. The Roman leaders lost their mind when they heard this. They arrested Christians, covered them in pitch, rammed a pole up inside them, and then - while they were still alive - lit them on fire to be used as city nightlights.

In Greek and Roman cultures humans and gods were completely different beings. A human could never become a god. Even when a god bred with a human the progeny was a demi-god, not a full-fledged god. Dei-gods died. They were not immortal. When a Roman general or Caesar was deified, it did not mean the man was literally turned into a god. Such a thing was rationally impossible. It would be like turning an apple into an orange, or an apple into a diamond. When a Caesar was deified, he was promoted to a position whereby he was no longer relegated to the realm of Pluto, the god of the underworld, where ordinary people went when they died. A deified person got to live in the Elysian Fields at the foot of Mount Olympus. He was still dead. He was still just an ordinary man, still subject to death, and there was nothing he could do about either condition.

Jesus, on the other hand is God, has defeated death, and he is seated with his Father God. As a consequence of his defeating death and resurrecting, something Caesar could not do, Jesus is now King of all kings, Lord of all lords, and the Savior by which anyone and everyone who believes can be saved from sin, death, and the wrath of God coming upon all who deny the Son (which would include Caesar). In other words..... Caesar had to bow to Jesus! Again, this drove the Roman leaders nuts. Just as the gospel had angered the Jewish leaders because they had to bow to Jesus, the Romans responded in kind. What was a stumbling block for the Jew was foolishness to the Roman because humans cannot literally be The God, and they cannot come back from the grave, and Caesar bows to no one.

The reason this is important is because any definition of the gospel that does not include Jesus being the resurrected King of all kings condition is a different gospel.

The Gospel” is an ambiguous term for it has a different meaning to each person. The word gospel means “good news”, but the contents of the good news varies from person to person.
The Gospel of the kingdom: The kingdom over which Christ will rule for 1,000 years. 2 Samuel 7:16 And your house and your kingdom shall be made sure for ever before me. Your throne shall be established forever.’” The kingdom is spoken of by John the Baptist, Christ and his disciples and ending with the Jewish rejection of the King. Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come. (Matthew 3:1-2; Matthew 4:17; Matthew 10:5-7)

The Gospel of the Grace of God: This is the good news that Jesus Christ, the rejected King, has died on the cross for the sins of the world, that he was raised from the dead for our justification, and that by Him all that believe are justified from all things.

The Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John

"The gospel of the grace of God" (
Acts 20:24)

The gospel of “peace”
(Ephesians 6:15; 2 Corinthians 5:19; Acts 10:36)

The Everlasting Gospel: Revelation 14:6 Then I saw another angel flying directly overhead, with an eternal gospel to proclaim to those who dwell on earth, to every nation and tribe and language and people. This is preached at the end of the great tribulation immediately preceding the judgment of the nations. It is the good news to Israel and those saved during the Tribulation.

That which Paul calls, “my Gospel” (Romans 2:16, 1 Corinthians 15:2-4): This is the Gospel of the grace of God in its fullest development, but includes the revelation of the result of that Gospel in the out calling of the Church, her relationships, position, privileges and responsibilities. There is “another Gospel” (Galatians 1:6, 2 Corinthians 11:4) “which is not another,” but a perversion of the Gospel of grace of God, against which we are warned. It has many seductive forms, but the test is one – it invariably denies the sufficiency of grace alone to save, keep, and perfect and mingles with grace some kind of human merit.

The Person of Christ:
Mark 1:1 The beginning [of the facts] of the good news (the Gospel) of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
Those are all different ways of describing the same Gospel. For example, in Matthew 4:15-23, Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, which was a light to the Gentiles, and the Mosaic Law was how his audience knew what sin is, so repenting from our disobedience to is is a central part of the Gospel of the Kingdom, which Paul equated with the Gospel of Grace based on the Mosaic Law:

Acts 14:21-22 When they had preached the gospel to that city and had made many disciples, they returned to Lystra and to Iconium and to Antioch, 22 strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith, and saying that through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God.

Acts 20:24-25 But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. 25 And now, behold, I know that none of you among whom I have gone about proclaiming the kingdom will see my face again.

Acts 28:23 When they had appointed a day for him, they came to him at his lodging in greater numbers. From morning till evening he expounded to them, testifying to the kingdom of God and trying to convince them about Jesus both from the Law of Moses and from the Prophets.

Back