• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

The Lord Jesus taught He is the proper recipient of prayer after His resurrection

Fred

Well Known Member
Reaction score
1. Luke 24:44-45 (cf. Acts 2:21)

The Lord Jesus also taught He is the proper recipient of prayer before His resurrection as seen here:

Acts 2:21
And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the Name of the Lord shall be saved.

To call on the Name of the Lord means to pray to the Lord.
Psalm 116:4
Then called I upon the Name of the Lord; "O Lord, I beseech Thee, deliver my soul."
Lamentations 3:55-57
(55) I called upon Thy Name, O Lord, out of the deepest dungeon.
(56) Thou hast heard my voice: hide not Thine ear at my sighing, at my cry.
(57) Thou drewest near in the day I called upon Thee: Thou saidst, Fear not.

Acts 2:21 is an exact quotation from Joel 3:5 of the Septuagint -> 2:32 in our English Bibles.
καὶ ἔσται πᾶς ὃς ἂν ἐπικαλέσηται τὸ ὄνομα κυρίου σωθήσεται (Joel 3:5LXX and Acts 2:21)

Peter applied the "Lord" (YHWH) from Joel 3:5LXX (2:32) in reference to Jesus in Acts 2:21.
And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the Name of the Lord shall be saved.
Acts 2:38
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized each one of you in the Name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Acts 4:12
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is no other Name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

"The Name of the Lord"
When Luke uses the expression "the Name of the Lord" in the Book of Acts it is always in reference to the Lord Jesus.
And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the Name of the Lord shall be saved
Acts 8:16
For as yet He was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus.
Acts 9:27-28
(27) But Barnabas took him, and brought him to the apostles, and declared unto them how he had seen the Lord on the road, and that He had spoken to him, and how he had spoken boldly at Damascus in the Name of Jesus.
(28) And he was with them coming in and going out at Jerusalem. And he spoke boldly in the Name of the Lord.
Acts 19:5
When they heard this, they were baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus.
Acts 19:13
Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to name over those who had evil spirits the Name of the Lord Jesus, saying, I adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth.
Acts 19:17
And this was known to all the Jews and Greeks also dwelling at Ephesus; and fear fell on them all, and the Name of the Lord Jesus was magnified.
Acts 21:13
Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break my heart? For I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for
the Name of the Lord Jesus.

The Lord Jesus taught He is the proper recipient of prayer.
Luke 24:44-45
(44) And He said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the Law of Moses, and in the Prophets, and in the Psalms, concerning Me.
(45) Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures.

Acts 2:14, 16, 21
But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them...this is that which was spoken through the prophet Joel...that whosoever shall call on the Name of the Lord shall be saved.

The Lord Jesus opened the minds of the apostles to understand the Scriptures (Luke 24:45). Included in this was the understanding of the prophet Joel in relation to Jesus (Luke 24:44).
Not only was Peter filled with the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:4) when he quoted from Joel 3:5 (LXX) in reference to Jesus in Acts 2:21, but the Lord Jesus had already opened his mind that enabled him to make this association. Thus, the Lord Jesus taught that He is the proper recipient of prayer (cf. Acts 2:21).

Last edited:

The Lord Jesus also taught He is the proper recipient of prayer before His resurrection as seen here:

Then called I upon the Name of the Lord; "O Lord, I beseech Thee, deliver my soul."

Acts 2:21 is an exact quotation from Joel 3:5 of the Septuagint -> 2:32 in our English Bibles.
καὶ ἔσται πᾶς ὃς ἂν ἐπικαλέσηται τὸ ὄνομα κυρίου σωθήσεται (Joel 3:5LXX and Acts 2:21)

Peter applied the "Lord" (YHWH) from Joel 3:5LXX (2:32) in reference to Jesus in Acts 2:21.
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized each one of you in the Name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is no other Name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

"The Name of the Lord"
When Luke uses the expression "the Name of the Lord" in the Book of Acts it is always in reference to the Lord Jesus.
And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the Name of the Lord shall be saved
For as yet He was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus.
(27) But Barnabas took him, and brought him to the apostles, and declared unto them how he had seen the Lord on the road, and that He had spoken to him, and how he had spoken boldly at Damascus in the Name of Jesus.
(28) And he was with them coming in and going out at Jerusalem. And he spoke boldly in the Name of the Lord.
Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to name over those who had evil spirits the Name of the Lord Jesus, saying, I adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth.
And this was known to all the Jews and Greeks also dwelling at Ephesus; and fear fell on them all, and the Name of the Lord Jesus was magnified.
Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break my heart? For I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for

(44) And He said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the Law of Moses, and in the Prophets, and in the Psalms, concerning Me.

But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them...this is that which was spoken through the prophet Joel...that whosoever shall call on the Name of the Lord shall be saved.

The Lord Jesus opened the minds of the apostles to understand the Scriptures (Luke 24:45). Included in this was the understanding of the prophet Joel in relation to Jesus (Luke 24:44).
Not only was Peter filled with the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:4) when he quoted from Joel 3:5 (LXX) in reference to Jesus in Acts 2:21, but the Lord Jesus had already opened his mind that enabled him to make this association. Thus, the Lord Jesus taught that He is the proper recipient of prayer (cf. Acts 2:21).
Amen!

"The Name of the Lord"

Wow. This is all wrong.

Jesus taught that after he was taken to heaven to ask him for nothing, but rather to ask the Father Directly. This is in step with Jesus' teachings that the only person we are to pray to is the Father. He taught this directly in Matthew 6:6-9, saying "When you pray.... pray to the Father." Since Jesus never spoke of praying to himself, no one else ever spoke of praying to Jesus, then we can rightly conclude from Scripture that Jesus never said anything about praying to him.

There are verses where Jesus said to ask him for something while he was still with them (John 14:16,17) but these verses have nothing to do with prayer, but he confirmed that it isn't actually himself who would fulfill the request, but actually God the Father who was in him performing the miraculous works (John 12:12-14),

The idea about what Jesus taught concerning prayer is to ask the Father in the name of Jesus, not to ask Jesus. Jesus also taught about only asking the Father in Matthew 7:11.

Jesus taught to only ask the Father after he was taken to heaven:

John 16​
23In that day you will no longer ask Me anything. Truly, truly, I tell you, whatever you ask the Father in My name, He will give you. 24Until now you have not asked for anything in My name. Ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete.​
25I have spoken these things to you in figures of speech. An hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you this way, but will tell you plainly about the Father. 26In that day you will ask in My name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf. 27For the Father Himself loves you, because you have loved Me and have believed that I came from God. 28I came from the Father and entered the world. In turn, I will leave the world and go to the Father.”​

Paul taught the same things about making our requests known to God, not Jesus.

Philippians 4​
6Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.​

James taught that every good and perfect gift comes from the Father, not Jesus:

James 1​
17Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, with whom there is no change or shifting shadow.​
All of this means that Jesus isn't God.

Wow. This is all wrong.

Jesus taught that after he was taken to heaven to ask him for nothing, but rather to ask the Father Directly. This is in step with Jesus' teachings that the only person we are to pray to is the Father. He taught this directly in Matthew 6:6-9, saying "When you pray.... pray to the Father." Since Jesus never spoke of praying to himself, no one else ever spoke of praying to Jesus, then we can rightly conclude from Scripture that Jesus never said anything about praying to him.

There are verses where Jesus said to ask him for something while he was still with them (John 14:16,17) but these verses have nothing to do with prayer, but he confirmed that it isn't actually himself who would fulfill the request, but actually God the Father who was in him performing the miraculous works (John 12:12-14),

The idea about what Jesus taught concerning prayer is to ask the Father in the name of Jesus, not to ask Jesus. Jesus also taught about only asking the Father in Matthew 7:11.

Jesus taught to only ask the Father after he was taken to heaven:

John 16​
23In that day you will no longer ask Me anything. Truly, truly, I tell you, whatever you ask the Father in My name, He will give you. 24Until now you have not asked for anything in My name. Ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be complete.​
25I have spoken these things to you in figures of speech. An hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you this way, but will tell you plainly about the Father. 26In that day you will ask in My name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf. 27For the Father Himself loves you, because you have loved Me and have believed that I came from God. 28I came from the Father and entered the world. In turn, I will leave the world and go to the Father.”​

Paul taught the same things about making our requests known to God, not Jesus.

Philippians 4​
6Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.​

James taught that every good and perfect gift comes from the Father, not Jesus:

James 1​
17Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, with whom there is no change or shifting shadow.​
All of this means that Jesus isn't God.

Total dodge of the evidence I presented, but this is to be expected.

2. Acts 18:8-10

Acts 18:8-10
(8) And Crispus, the chief ruler of the synagogue, believed in the Lord with all his house; and many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized.
(9) Then spake the Lord to Paul in the night by a vision, Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace:
(10) For I am with thee, and no man shall set on thee to hurt thee: for I have many people in this city.

The "Lord" in Acts 18:8 refers to the Lord Jesus. Believing in the Lord corresponds with what Luke records in reference to the Lord Jesus earlier.
Acts 16:31
And they said, Believe in the Lord Jesus, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

The "Lord" in Acts 18:9 also refers to the Lord Jesus. In Acts 23:11 (which, Lord willing, I will address in more detail in a future post) the same Lord (in reference to Jesus) would once again speak to Paul at night. Furthermore, the Lord Jesus saying, "I am with thee" (v. 10) corresponds to what He earlier had spoken to others in Matthew 28:20.

The same Greek word for "believed" (pisteuō) which appears twice in Acts 18:8 is used by Luke in recording what Paul would speak a few chapters later to the Lord Jesus.
Acts 22:19
And I said, Lord, they know that in every synagogue I imprisoned and beat those who believed in Thee.
Acts 9:14
And here he hath authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on Thy Name.

Notice with the two passages above that to believe in the Lord Jesus encompasses calling on His Name.
And as demonstrated in the OP, to call on the Name of the Lord means to pray to the Lord (YHWH).
Thus, to believe in the Lord Jesus involves praying to the Lord Jesus as being YHWH.

So when the Corinthians believed in the Lord Jesus, (Acts 18:8; cf. 22:19), it involved them praying to the Lord Jesus (Acts 9:14). The fact that the Lord Jesus wanted Paul to continue speaking that enabled them to believe (Acts 18:9) demonstrates the Lord Jesus taught He is the proper recipient of prayer.

Finally, it is worth pointing out that when Paul would later write to the Corinthian church (cf. Acts 18:8), his introduction would include the very important fact that all Christians in every place call upon (= pray to) the Lord Jesus.
1 Corinthians 1:2
Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who in every place
call upon the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ
, both theirs and ours.

3. Acts 22:10, 16

Acts 22:10-16
(10) And I said, What shall I do, Lord? And the Lord said unto me, Arise, and go into Damascus; and there it shall be told thee of all things which are appointed for thee to do.
(11) And when I could not see for the glory of that light, being led by the hand of those who were with me, I came into Damascus.
(12) And one Ananias, a devout man according to the Law, having a good report of all the Jews who dwelt there,
(13) Came unto me, and stood, and said unto me, Brother Saul, receive thy sight. And the same hour I looked up upon him.
(14) And he said, The God of our fathers hath chosen thee, that thou shouldest know His will, and see the Righteous One, and shouldest hear the voice of His mouth.
(15) For thou shalt be His witness unto all men of what thou hast seen and heard.
(16) And now why tarriest thou? Arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on His Name.

1. The Lord Jesus told Paul that he (Paul) would be told what to do (Acts 22:10).
2. The Lord Jesus sends Ananias to Paul (Acts 9:10-16).
3. One of the things Ananias tells Paul to do is to call on the Lord Jesus (Acts 22:16).
4. Since to call on the Lord, call upon the Name of the Lord or other similar expressions refer to praying to the Lord (see posts 1 and 5) then one of the things the Lord Jesus told Ananias to tell Paul was to pray to the Lord Jesus. This demonstrates the Lord Jesus affirmed He is the proper recipient of prayer.

Ananias says to the Lord Jesus (no correction or rebuke):
Acts 9:14
And here he hath authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on Thy Name.

Ananias says to Paul:
Acts 22:16
And now why tarriest thou? Arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on His Name.

Paul teaches others:
Romans 10:13 (cf. 1 Corinthians 1:2; 2 Timothy 2:22)
For whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved.

3. Acts 22:10, 16
4. Acts 23:11 (cf. Acts 20:21; Romans 10:8, 12-13)

Acts 23:11
And the night following the Lord stood by him, and said, Take courage, Paul: for as thou hast solemnly testified of Me in Jerusalem, so must thou bear witness also at Rome.

The "Lord" refers to the Lord Jesus in Acts 23:11. The Greek word for "take courage" (tharseō) is used a total of seven times in the New Testament. Six out of the seven times the Lord Jesus spoke it. The only instance where the Lord Jesus didn't say it is found in Mark 10:49 where it is used in association with going to the Lord Jesus.

Matthew 9:2
And, behold, they brought to Him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, take courage; thy sins be forgiven thee.
Matthew 9:22
But Jesus turned Him about, and when He saw her, He said, Daughter, take courage; thy faith hath made thee whole. And the woman was made whole from that hour.
Matthew 14:27
But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Take courage; it is I; be not afraid.
Mark 6:50
For they all saw Him, and were troubled. And immediately He talked with them, and saith unto them, Take courage: it is I; be not afraid.
Mark 10:49
And Jesus stood still, and commanded him to be called. And they call the blind man, saying unto him, Take courage, rise; He calleth thee.
John 16:33
These things I have spoken unto you, that in Me ye might have peace. In the world ye have tribulation: but take courage; I have overcome the world.

Notice also that Luke records the appearing of the Lord Jesus to Paul in Acts 22:18 in which He previously had spoken to him. Both His appearances to Paul in Acts 22:18 and Acts 23:11 are in the context of Paul's encounter with the Jews at the Temple and what took place with him and the Jews immediately afterwards.

Acts 23:11
And the night following the Lord stood by him, and said, "Take courage, Paul: for as thou hast solemnly testified of Me
in Jerusalem
, so must thou bear witness also at Rome."

Acts 20:21
Solemnly testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

The same Greek word for "solemnly testified" (diamartyromai) in Acts 23:11 is used in Acts 20:21.
Notice also that this is in reference to "the Jews" and "the Greeks" which corresponds with "Jerusalem" and "Rome" in Acts 23:11.

The fact that the Lord Jesus told Paul he was to solemnly testify about Him (Acts 23:11) which involves "faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ" (Acts 20:21) demonstrates the Lord Jesus taught He is the proper recipient of prayer. For a major component of this faith that Paul preached (Romans 10:8) to "the Jew" and "the Greek" (Romans 10:12) includes praying to the Lord Jesus as being YHWH (Romans 10:13).
Acts 20:21
Solemnly testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.
Romans 10:8, 12-13
(8) But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
(12) For there is no distinction between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord of all abounds in riches to all who call upon Him.
(13) For whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved.

Runningman laughs a lot but hasn't refuted the evidence I put forth.

Fred, see comment 3 above where I corrected you.

Let me ask you a question... if someone's prayers are supposed to go to Jesus then why is Jesus not answering any of the prayers? Everyone is saying that the Father is providing everything. Think of that yet?

Runningman, see comment 4 above where I corrected you.
It's all wrong, but thanks for the inspiration. I know what my next thread will be.

None of the evidence I presented was refuted.

Your delusional assertions are pitiful.
I know you're frustrated. The frustration ceases when you start believing the Bible and stop trying to twist and corrupt it to your doctrines.

You're getting worse.

Too bad for you that your creature-jesus is unable to help you.
If Jesus didn't die you don't have a sin sacrifice. So did the immortal God die?

Back