• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

The List of Rules...

That's why one of the Rules in my OP over there is sticking to the Topic at hand. I would call a Foul for changing the Topic from Total Depravity to the New Birth...

Anyway, it sounds like fun...

Haha. You call that a foul by pointing something out? Five yards penalty and second down. I still have three more plays to control the line of scrimmage and make a first down. You would think that the other debater happens to entertain the new birth discussion, then the topic was changed. But I believe I was on topic.

Haha. You call that a foul by pointing something out? Five yards penalty and second down. I still have three more plays to control the line of scrimmage and make a first down. You would think that the other debater happens to entertain the new birth discussion, then the topic was changed. But I believe I was on topic.
The fun starts, if a Calvinist chooses me to moderate 😉

One of the Rules is to choose your Moderator wisely...

The fun starts, if a Calvinist chooses me to moderate 😉

One of the Rules is to choose your Moderator wisely...
Who chooses who is in the debate and is there one moderator?

Who chooses who is in the debate and is there one moderator?
The Rules can be adjusted; but so far there is a Pro Debater and a Con Debater, who pick somebody to moderate the Debate. It's in the OP...

If Posters want two on two Debate, let them decide how it works. I think whatever Posters decide to do, as long as it doesn't break CCAM Rules; is their business. I just wanted to make an Outline for how a good Debate should work.

Honest question. What is the big deal about Calvinism all of a sudden? It's like the "in" thing to get all hot and bothered about these days. Have I missed some new fad in the "popular" churches?

Honest question. What is the big deal about Calvinism all of a sudden? It's like the "in" thing to get all hot and bothered about these days. Have I missed some new fad in the "popular" churches?
It is hardly all of a sudden! The theology and doctrine in it have been around since the life, death, resurrection and ascension of Jesus. Prophcied all throughout the OT. You might even say it began in Gen 1:1. It was pronounced dead in the late 1800's by an earthly judge of all things and Charles Finney took the reins of doctrines that were promoted all throughout the early church after the death of the apostles and deemed heresy. Not biblically sound.

That doctrine, commonly known today as Arminism, and insistent on the free will of man to seek and find God on his own, or as in Libertarian freewill, needing God's grace to do so, but this was given to all and the choice of whether to be saved or not was left up to them has been pretty much all that is taught in the churches today and for over a century. It has morphed into choosing to believe and inviting Jesus into your heart is how one attains salvation.

Sometime in the late 1980's or early 1990's, near as I can tell, (I was introduced to Reformed theology in 2005) it began to make a comeback. I am not sure why, there are no doubt many factors. But I attribute it to God, for the false doctrines of the freewill movement had so atrociously abandoned any sound doctrine, any doctrine at all really that was theologically and exegetically and systematically arrived at, as to have a surface level with no substance. Often blasphemous in nature and with no reverence for God or understanding of the Scriptures. And no teaching from them either.

Another contributing factor I am sure was the way in which technological advances gave a broader voice to those who had not abandoned the sound teaching of the Bible that was given largely through the Reformation, to follow the crowd. More people heard what had not been heard before and it fed their hunger and their need. Not a hunger and need for more experiences, more power, more blessings, more things. A hunger and need for God and solid ground. At least that was true in my case.

Would you like to start a Moderated Debate here, on a Calvinist Topic?

TEST LIST OF RULES...
Some suggested additions:

1a) specify the limiting length.
1b) Fouls come with the deletion of the offending content, not just a verbal note of the error. If statements in someone's post breaks one of the rules, such as digressing from the topic then that content should be erased from the thread by the moderator and not allowed to exist as part of the case presented.
1c) If content is deleted then that poster should be given the opportunity to respond to the original point(s) of their opponent's post in a rule compliant manner.
1d) An alternative to the deletion is the moderator highlighting in red all content that breaks the debate rules and the infractions deducted from that side's points at the end.

2) It is my opinion the rules of this forum are not well applied so measuring the debate by the rules is a questionable standard unless the rules are applied in the debate with consistency greater than found in the boards outside this debate. For example, this forum's rules prohibit both off-topic content and personal attacks, but both happen routinely without sanction throughout the forum. Furthermore, one of the most basic rules of internet discourse in ANY forum is to keep the posts about the posts, not the posters. I, therefore, respectfully recommend the word "you" be prohibited. The statement, "My opinion the forum rules are not consistently applied," is a much different statement than "You moderators don't apply the rules yourselves and you're all hypocrites." That kind of content should be prohibited in this debate and any such content deleted (especially since the Arm v Cal board is one of the boards where this often happens).

4) The Moderator introduces the topic and does so in the form of a thesis statement to be proven or disproven. The Affirmative case is presented first. Since there is a limit on length this will likely mean only one aspect of any given topic can be presented and therefore only the one specified aspect of the affirmative case is what will be debated. It is, therefore, also necessary for the Affirmative side to decide and well-articulate the single best means of proving the Affirmative case given the limits in length. This also, therefore, given the limits on topical content, the Negative response. The Affirmative case cannot be ignored in favor of content that is irrelevant to the Affirmative case. Both the Affirmative poster and the Negative poster must begin their first post with a summary statement to which they will adhere through the rest of the debate. In this way each side is consistent with both the overall topic of debate but also their side of the debate. The recommendations here in #4 are fairly standardized procedures in formal debate in academia. Goggling "rules of formal debate" will confirm this.

6) Not answering a yes/no question directly should be a deduction for each lapse and no more than three lapses permitted. The poster should be required to answer the third time the question asked. I recommend the "three strikes rule" be a basis for forfeiture of the debate and applied to the two-unanswered questions forfeiture rule. I also recommend the poster asking the question that doesn't get answered be expected and permitted to ask the question alone in a post where nothing else is written. This enables a quick resolution of the matter and in cases of noncompliance it highlights the obfuscation.

Other recommendations in no particular order:

• Limited number of exchanges: The Affirmative side should be limited to a set number of posts with which to prove the affirmative case. The Negative side has the same number of posts to refute the Affirmative's posts. At the end of that set number each side makes a summary post.
  • Concession: Either poster may concede the debate at any time.
  • Statement of agreement: Each poster should state agreement wherever possible and apprpriate and this statements no counted toward a posts length limitation. For example, "I agree," is sufficient, or "While I agree 'X' is true But....." and then a new statement begun asserting additionally relevant content in either affirmation or negation of the point(s) made. Because Arms and Cals share some views this should be affirmed.
  • Claims must be evidenced. This is especially necessary for any claims one sode makes about the other. For example, "Calvinists believe X" must be evidenced, just as "Arminians believe Y" must also be evidenced. This will avoid strawmen and place the onus on the poster making the claim, not his/her opponent or the moderator. Personally, I think the debate should be limited to the sound, exegetical use of scripture and not extra-biblical sources.
  • Content presented as fact must be accurate and demonstrably and objectively verifiable as fact (not opinion or bias).
  • No new arguments may be presented in a rebuttal. This means that each poster has a decision to make with each of the posts: rebut the opponent's prior post or continue making the Affirmative/negative case and save rebuttal for the summary.
  • The onus is on the Affirmative side to prove the thesis. The Negative side does not have to prove an alternative. All the negative side has to do is provide content sufficient to question the veracity of the Affirmative side's argument's ability to prove the thesis. This also means that the Negative poster who presents an alternative but does not disprove the Affirmative side's case has lost the debate. The whole point of the debate is to prove or disprove a single thesis, not assert multiple theses.
  • No real or perceived gains made outside of the established rules will be allowed. For example, the premise, "Well Side A made a good point here in post 5" is of no merit if that point has nothing to do with the thesis to be proven.
  • The Arminian side should be argued by an Arminian, the Wesleyan side by a Wesleyan, the Pelagian side by a Pelagian, and anyone not themselves a subscriber to that specific position (a so called "devil's advocate") should be expected to argue in a manner consistent with that position. The same should be true of the Calvinist side. The way around this is to broaden the sides to monergist v synergist. That frees up both sides to argue diversely within the prescribed division.

I might be open to either the Affirmative or Negative ("devil's advocate") side dependent upon the topic selected. I also believe I can be an impartial moderator if that's amenable to the posters, and if that is the case then I don't care what is the subject to be debated.

I was thinking, "Does Romans 3:12 prove Total Depravity?"...

The fun part would as the Moderator, being fair to myself; a Debater known as Con...
Hmmm... interesting.

Although firmly monergist, I would not be inclined to defend the affirmative thesis, but I believe I could argue the negative case fairly well. It is not a verse upon which I would pin TD. Curious suggestion.

1b) Fouls come with the deletion of the offending content, not just a verbal note of the error. If statements in someone's post breaks one of the rules, such as digressing from the topic then that content should be erased from the thread by the moderator and not allowed to exist as part of the case presented.
1c) If content is deleted then that poster should be given the opportunity to respond to the original point(s) of their opponent's post in a rule compliant manner.
1d) An alternative to the deletion is the moderator highlighting in red all content that breaks the debate rules and the infractions deducted from that side's points at the end.

2) It is my opinion the rules of this forum are not well applied so measuring the debate by the rules is a questionable standard unless the rules are applied in the debate with consistency greater than found in the boards outside this debate. For example, this forum's rules prohibit both off-topic content and personal attacks, but both happen routinely without sanction throughout the forum. Furthermore, one of the most basic rules of internet discourse in ANY forum is to keep the posts about the posts, not the posters. I, therefore, respectfully recommend the word "you" be prohibited. The statement, "My opinion the forum rules are not consistently applied," is a much different statement than "You moderators don't apply the rules yourselves and you're all hypocrites." That kind of content should be prohibited in this debate and any such content deleted (especially since the Arm v Cal board is one of the boards where this often happens).

4) The Moderator introduces the topic and does so in the form of a thesis statement to be proven or disproven. The Affirmative case is presented first. Since there is a limit on length this will likely mean only one aspect of any given topic can be presented and therefore only the one specified aspect of the affirmative case is what will be debated. It is, therefore, also necessary for the Affirmative side to decide and well-articulate the single best means of proving the Affirmative case given the limits in length. This also, therefore, given the limits on topical content, the Negative response. The Affirmative case cannot be ignored in favor of content that is irrelevant to the Affirmative case. Both the Affirmative poster and the Negative poster must begin their first post with a summary statement to which they will adhere through the rest of the debate. In this way each side is consistent with both the overall topic of debate but also their side of the debate. The recommendations here in #4 are fairly standardized procedures in formal debate in academia. Goggling "rules of formal debate" will confirm this.

6) Not answering a yes/no question directly should be a deduction for each lapse and no more than three lapses permitted. The poster should be required to answer the third time the question asked. I recommend the "three strikes rule" be a basis for forfeiture of the debate and applied to the two-unanswered questions forfeiture rule. I also recommend the poster asking the question that doesn't get answered be expected and permitted to ask the question alone in a post where nothing else is written. This enables a quick resolution of the matter and in cases of noncompliance it highlights the obfuscation.

• Limited number of exchanges: The Affirmative side should be limited to a set number of posts with which to prove the affirmative case. The Negative side has the same number of posts to refute the Affirmative's posts. At the end of that set number each side makes a summary post.
  • Statement of agreement: Each poster should state agreement wherever possible and apprpriate and this statements no counted toward a posts length limitation. For example, "I agree," is sufficient, or "While I agree 'X' is true But....." and then a new statement begun asserting additionally relevant content in either affirmation or negation of the point(s) made. Because Arms and Cals share some views this should be affirmed.
  • Claims must be evidenced. This is especially necessary for any claims one sode makes about the other. For example, "Calvinists believe X" must be evidenced, just as "Arminians believe Y" must also be evidenced. This will avoid strawmen and place the onus on the poster making the claim, not his/her opponent or the moderator. Personally, I think the debate should be limited to the sound, exegetical use of scripture and not extra-biblical sources.
  • Content presented as fact must be accurate and demonstrably and objectively verifiable as fact (not opinion or bias).
  • No new arguments may be presented in a rebuttal. This means that each poster has a decision to make with each of the posts: rebut the opponent's prior post or continue making the Affirmative/negative case and save rebuttal for the summary.
  • The onus is on the Affirmative side to prove the thesis. The Negative side does not have to prove an alternative. All the negative side has to do is provide content sufficient to question the veracity of the Affirmative side's argument's ability to prove the thesis. This also means that the Negative poster who presents an alternative but does not disprove the Affirmative side's case has lost the debate. The whole point of the debate is to prove or disprove a single thesis, not assert multiple theses.
  • No real or perceived gains made outside of the established rules will be allowed. For example, the premise, "Well Side A made a good point here in post 5" is of no merit if that point has nothing to do with the thesis to be proven.
  • The Arminian side should be argued by an Arminian, the Wesleyan side by a Wesleyan, the Pelagian side by a Pelagian, and anyone not themselves a subscriber to that specific position (a so called "devil's advocate") should be expected to argue in a manner consistent with that position. The same should be true of the Calvinist side. The way around this is to broaden the sides to monergist v synergist. That frees up both sides to argue diversely within the prescribed division.

I might be open to either the Affirmative or Negative ("devil's advocate") side dependent upon the topic selected. I also believe I can be an impartial moderator if that's amenable to the posters, and if that is the case then I don't care what is the subject to be debated.
There are a lot of good things here. I don't think the average volunteer Moderator, will have Forum Moderator abilities to remove Posts, etc. There will probably have to be a lot of 'the Honor System' taking place. I would worry about too many Rules causing the volunteer Moderator to be easily accused of being a Tyrant. Many of these suggested Rules could be agreed upon by each Debater and their Moderator, before the Debate in it's own Thread began...

There are a lot of good in your suggestions, I like the limited number of exchanges; I'll add some for sure into the Test List of Rules in this OP...

Hmmm... interesting.

Although firmly monergist, I would not be inclined to defend the affirmative thesis, but I believe I could argue the negative case fairly well. It is not a verse upon which I would pin TD. Curious suggestion.
It's where I always begin to defend Total Depravity...

I added two suggestions to the Test List of Rules...

Like I said; in a Private Debate, add as many Rules as all three or more participants agree to...

Would you like to start a Moderated Debate here, on a Calvinist Topic?
You very much assume too much. Just because I honestly do not know about this latest fad to fight about calvinism/Arminism, does not make me a certain lable. I strive to follow what the whole of Scripture teaches. And I don't think either of those views has a completely accurate understanding of the topic. I was even banned from another forum for simply posting some Bible verses that showed these views to be flawed and the forum admin accused me of twisting Scripture. Just for posting Scripture! I was not aware that this was such a hot head topic now.

You very much assume too much. Just because I honestly do not know about this latest fad to fight about calvinism/Arminism, does not make me a certain lable. I strive to follow what the whole of Scripture teaches. And I don't think either of those views has a completely accurate understanding of the topic. I was even banned from another forum for simply posting some Bible verses that showed these views to be flawed and the forum admin accused me of twisting Scripture. Just for posting Scripture! I was not aware that this was such a hot head topic now.
Okay...

Please enjoy CCAM Forum, and Tag me to something you'd like me to respond to. Have fun...

I see that you enjoy Eschatology. We don't have an Eschatology Private Debate Board yet, but I suppose you could start a Private Debate about it here; until we get an Eschatology Board for Private Debates...

What kind of Rules for a Private Debate would you want?

I see that you enjoy Eschatology. We don't have an Eschatology Private Debate Board yet, but I suppose you could start a Private Debate about it here; until we get an Eschatology Board for Private Debates...

What kind of Rules for a Private Debate would you want?
Yes, that is an interesting idea. I don't want to derail this thread but I can make a generalized comment. What I notice in many eschatology threads (and many other topics) is that people really do not closely examine the thread topic and the evidences given (if there are any). Many replies are people putting their own opinions down and then getting in petty arguments. This is not a true discussion where ideas/facts are discussed. That would be the problem. Most aren't willing to do the research into the topic.

Yes, that is an interesting idea. I don't want to derail this thread but I can make a generalized comment. What I notice in many eschatology threads (and many other topics) is that people really do not closely examine the thread topic and the evidences given (if there are any). Many replies are people putting their own opinions down and then getting in petty arguments. This is not a true discussion where ideas/facts are discussed. That would be the problem. Most aren't willing to do the research into the topic.
Find interested CCAM Members, read the Rules in the OP of this Thread; start another Thread here, and enjoy...

For example, this forum's rules prohibit both off-topic content and personal attacks, but both happen routinely without sanction throughout the forum
A great many of them yours so be careful what you ask for.
It should be highlighted. Removing it removes all ability to recognize and correct and readdress whatever the issue is.
I, therefore, respectfully recommend the word "you" be prohibited.
Impossible and unreasonable. "You's" are being addressed.

Back