• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

THE COBWEBS OF MODERN-DAY MUSIC

Buff Scott Jr.

Sophomore
Reaction score
The Cobwebs of Modern-Day Music
I enjoy Country/Western and other styles of music. I enjoyed listening to the late Eddy Arnold, Jim Reeves, and Johnny Cash. The Judds were beautiful singers, and the Lawrence Welk program was and is among the best. Debbie Reynolds, now passed on, was a beautiful singer. The late Perry Como, Dean Martin, and Andy Williams were captivating singers. The Statler Brothers always inspired me, specially the bass singer. But Country/Western, and other good styles of music, are not what they once were. Most of them have gone “modern” and, as far as I’m concerned, have made a mess of once charming music.

No, I do not think it is because I’m getting older. It is because Country/Western and other forms of music are not as sweet, not as natural, and not as attractive as they used to be. The messages, if distinct enough, which usually are not, are drab and dreary. The instrumental accompaniment drowns out the words and you have to stretch your ear lobes to understand what the singers are saying. In the good old days, we could understand every word of a song. But not today. They are muttered, muffed, mumbled, indistinct.

I love good, sensible music. I enjoy both the lyrics and instrumental, especially if it is soothing, pretty, clear, perceptive, and touches my heart, my understanding, and my spirit. I would not, however, give a pig’s tooth for the loud rock, unintelligible rubbish that contaminates the minds of our youth and young adults—the kind that generates rebellious, lawless behavior. Anyone can mount a stage and scream their lungs out. This is one “gift” many modern-day singers have.

If you want to become a musical celebrity, start practicing screaming. When you have reached a certain level, grab a microphone and get on stage. Your young screaming audience will be delighted at your “talents” and yell themselves out of the park. And forgive me for being a little rude, but many of the modern-day “singers” mount the stage looking like they just crawled out of a trash dumpster. What goes here? Are we reverting back to the prehistoric era?

There is one song I dearly love, and I get tearful every time I hear it, “Grandpa, Tell Me About The Good Old Days.” I was present in 2004 when I listened to Debbie Reynolds sing it. It is so very beautiful and rich with a message that touches the heart.​

The Cobwebs of Modern-Day Music
I enjoy Country/Western and other styles of music. I enjoyed listening to the late Eddy Arnold, Jim Reeves, and Johnny Cash. The Judds were beautiful singers, and the Lawrence Welk program was and is among the best. Debbie Reynolds, now passed on, was a beautiful singer. The late Perry Como, Dean Martin, and Andy Williams were captivating singers. The Statler Brothers always inspired me, specially the bass singer. But Country/Western, and other good styles of music, are not what they once were. Most of them have gone “modern” and, as far as I’m concerned, have made a mess of once charming music.

No, I do not think it is because I’m getting older. It is because Country/Western and other forms of music are not as sweet, not as natural, and not as attractive as they used to be. The messages, if distinct enough, which usually are not, are drab and dreary. The instrumental accompaniment drowns out the words and you have to stretch your ear lobes to understand what the singers are saying. In the good old days, we could understand every word of a song. But not today. They are muttered, muffed, mumbled, indistinct.

I love good, sensible music. I enjoy both the lyrics and instrumental, especially if it is soothing, pretty, clear, perceptive, and touches my heart, my understanding, and my spirit. I would not, however, give a pig’s tooth for the loud rock, unintelligible rubbish that contaminates the minds of our youth and young adults—the kind that generates rebellious, lawless behavior. Anyone can mount a stage and scream their lungs out. This is one “gift” many modern-day singers have.

If you want to become a musical celebrity, start practicing screaming. When you have reached a certain level, grab a microphone and get on stage. Your young screaming audience will be delighted at your “talents” and yell themselves out of the park. And forgive me for being a little rude, but many of the modern-day “singers” mount the stage looking like they just crawled out of a trash dumpster. What goes here? Are we reverting back to the prehistoric era?

There is one song I dearly love, and I get tearful every time I hear it, “Grandpa, Tell Me About The Good Old Days.” I was present in 2004 when I listened to Debbie Reynolds sing it. It is so very beautiful and rich with a message that touches the heart.​
What makes you think "modern" music exists? Many of our now "classic" hymns were once bar songs. The melody appropriated and the words changed. Court jesters had a long history of political satire veiled and people have always put the whole spectrum of human experience into song. I am reminded of the anti-rock sermons that made the round through evangelical congregations in the 80s and 90s reporting African tribes being evangelized asked how they could be asked to change their music when western beats and rhythms were no different. If they are no different then they go back to when human societies were tribal comparatively more primitive.

That's not modern.

Is it the medium or the message (or both, or neither) that is the problem?

What makes you think "modern" music exists? Many of our now "classic" hymns were once bar songs. The melody appropriated and the words changed. Court jesters had a long history of political satire veiled and people have always put the whole spectrum of human experience into song. I am reminded of the anti-rock sermons that made the round through evangelical congregations in the 80s and 90s reporting African tribes being evangelized asked how they could be asked to change their music when western beats and rhythms were no different. If they are no different then they go back to when human societies were tribal comparatively more primitive.

That's not modern.

Is it the medium or the message (or both, or neither) that is the problem?
I think you easily understood where I was coming from and the radical negative changes that have developed in our musical culture, Josheb.

I think you easily understood where I was coming from and the radical negative changes that have developed in our musical culture, Josheb.
I do. I also know the healthy life is lived in the middle, not the extremes. Being concerned about what goes in our ears is a valid concern. Just the other day I was in the store and began to hum the song playing instrumentally over the store's sound system. The song was "Spooky," and I was reminded of a young woman I dated in my teen years who loved the song. I thought about the lyrics, then the influence walking into a store can have on our brain (I am a retired psychologist, after all), and then I thought about whether or not I might have done the same were the song "Sympathy for the devil," or "Cold Ethel."

I concluded I have enough Spirit-driven self-control that I would not be subject to my flesh on such occasions and went about my shopping effectively and joyfully, having been reminded Whose I am. We're always best able to remember who we are when we remember Whose we are.

I collect music. I'm on my third collection because in the 80s and 90s I fell prey to my own immaturity and lack of discernment when listening to legalistic preachers and I twice threw out record collections exceeding 1000 recordings. As I matured, I learned the premise of purity in music was misguided, at least for me, and the truth was my collection was an idol. It wouldn't have matter what was in it. Now my collection is smaller and more selective, but I still enjoy just about all forms of music when done well and have blues and jazz recording dating back to the 1930s. I also understand some have a God-given ability to go places others cannot. Paul went to the Gentiles, having been raised since birth for that purpose. As a counselor it was necessary for me to be able to adapt to a huge array of human experience and I learned my affinity for philosophy, culture (anthropology, sociology, etc.) literature, and even music helped me be a better helper to other. Diversity and pluralism is not, in and of itself, necessarily a good thing but when ground by Christ crucified and resurrected it can be very powerful understanding others.

Matthew 11:17
We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a song of mourning, and you did not mourn.

Do you think the psalms are the only songs David wrote, and he never wrote or sang a song about fishing, marching, battle, children or sex? How "rock and roll" do you think that music was where he danced so vigorously his clothes came off? Do you think maybe that was a waltz or a schottische? That must have been some trumpet playing.

2 Samuel 6:13-23
And so it was, that when the bearers of the ark of the LORD had gone six paces, he sacrificed an ox and a fatling. And David was dancing before the LORD with all his might, and David was wearing a linen ephod.........But when David returned to bless his household, Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David and said, "How the king of Israel distinguished himself today! He uncovered himself today in the eyes of his servants' maids as one of the foolish ones shamelessly uncovers himself!" So David said to Michal, "It was before the LORD, who chose me above your father and above all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel; therefore I will celebrate before the LORD. "I will be more lightly esteemed than this and will be humble in my own eyes, but with the maids of whom you have spoken, with them I will be distinguished." Michal the daughter of Saul had no child to the day of her death.

Do you think that is how God wanted either of those two to behave?

Legalism kills. So does antinomianism. Find what music you can listen to in a right relationship with God, and let others do the same, while setting goals, boundaries, and expectations with others wherever appropriate. That is what builds relationship.
I love good, sensible music.​
I am encouraged to read that.
If you want to become a musical celebrity, start practicing screaming.​
I do not thing screaming is necessary to become a musical celebrity. I'm fairly confident Frank Sinatra, Nina Simone, Michael Buble, Taylor Swift, and a host of others would say it is unnecessary. However, given the fact most music "celebrities" I know are pinheads, I'm not sure why any Christian would want to become a music celebrity and I would encourage them to first talk to Amy Grant, Bebe Winan, Matthew English, Marabeth Jordan, Israel Houghton, Emmanuel Lambert, Tye Tribbet, Derek Webb.......
Are you aware the Judds had a hit with the song almost 20 years prior to that and it was written by a guy named Jamie O'Hara, who sang the song with his wife before the Judds made it famous?

Just saying.

Legalism kills. So does antinomianism. Find what music you can listen to in a right relationship with God, and let others do the same, while setting goals, boundaries, and expectations with others wherever appropriate. That is what builds relationship.

I do. I also know the healthy life is lived in the middle, not the extremes. Being concerned about what goes in our ears is a valid concern. Just the other day I was in the store and began to hum the song playing instrumentally over the store's sound system. The song was "Spooky," and I was reminded of a young woman I dated in my teen years who loved the song. I thought about the lyrics, then the influence walking into a store can have on our brain (I am a retired psychologist, after all), and then I thought about whether or not I might have done the same were the song "Sympathy for the devil," or "Cold Ethel."

I concluded I have enough Spirit-driven self-control that I would not be subject to my flesh on such occasions and went about my shopping effectively and joyfully, having been reminded Whose I am. We're always best able to remember who we are when we remember Whose we are.

I collect music. I'm on my third collection because in the 80s and 90s I fell prey to my own immaturity and lack of discernment when listening to legalistic preachers and I twice threw out record collections exceeding 1000 recordings. As I matured, I learned the premise of purity in music was misguided, at least for me, and the truth was my collection was an idol. It wouldn't have matter what was in it. Now my collection is smaller and more selective, but I still enjoy just about all forms of music when done well and have blues and jazz recording dating back to the 1930s. I also understand some have a God-given ability to go places others cannot. Paul went to the Gentiles, having been raised since birth for that purpose. As a counselor it was necessary for me to be able to adapt to a huge array of human experience and I learned my affinity for philosophy, culture (anthropology, sociology, etc.) literature, and even music helped me be a better helper to other. Diversity and pluralism is not, in and of itself, necessarily a good thing but when ground by Christ crucified and resurrected it can be very powerful understanding others.

We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a song of mourning, and you did not mourn.

Do you think the psalms are the only songs David wrote, and he never wrote or sang a song about fishing, marching, battle, children or sex? How "rock and roll" do you think that music was where he danced so vigorously his clothes came off? Do you think maybe that was a waltz or a schottische? That must have been some trumpet playing.

And so it was, that when the bearers of the ark of the LORD had gone six paces, he sacrificed an ox and a fatling. And David was dancing before the LORD with all his might, and David was wearing a linen ephod.........But when David returned to bless his household, Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David and said, "How the king of Israel distinguished himself today! He uncovered himself today in the eyes of his servants' maids as one of the foolish ones shamelessly uncovers himself!" So David said to Michal, "It was before the LORD, who chose me above your father and above all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel; therefore I will celebrate before the LORD. "I will be more lightly esteemed than this and will be humble in my own eyes, but with the maids of whom you have spoken, with them I will be distinguished." Michal the daughter of Saul had no child to the day of her death.

I do not thing screaming is necessary to become a musical celebrity. I'm fairly confident Frank Sinatra, Nina Simone, Michael Buble, Taylor Swift, and a host of others would say it is unnecessary. However, given the fact most music "celebrities" I know are pinheads, I'm not sure why any Christian would want to become a music celebrity and I would encourage them to first talk to Amy Grant, Bebe Winan, Matthew English, Marabeth Jordan, Israel Houghton, Emmanuel Lambert, Tye Tribbet, Derek Webb.......

Are you aware the Judds had a hit with the song almost 20 years prior to that and it was written by a guy named Jamie O'Hara, who sang the song with his wife before the Judds made it famous?

Just saying.

I used to really enjoy "church music," but now it, too, has drifted into "Never, Never Land," and is rarely edifying, very similar to other forms of music. It is not legalistic to be factual - I see reality in the areas I covered.

Just saying.

I used to really enjoy "church music," but now it, too, has drifted into "Never, Never Land," and is rarely edifying, very similar to other forms of music. It is not legalistic to be factual - I see reality in the areas I covered.

Next time you're in Northern Virgina let me know. I can tell you of several congregations still singing a mixture of hymns, praise, and non-repetitive worship.

You may amend my prior to read, "Legalism and antinomianism kill, and so does faux Christian mantra music." ;)

Music is very powerful medium.
Guard your heart. For out of it flow the issues of life.

And the worship leader was asked: WHat do you sing, and he answered:
I sing modern praise choruses, I sing modern praise choruses, I sing modern praise choruses, I sing modern praise choruses, I sing modern praise choruses, I sing modern praise choruses, I sing modern praise choruses, I sing modern praise choruses, I sing modern praise choruses, I sing modern praise choruses, I sing modern praise choruses, I sing modern praise choruses.

Back