• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

Questions on Sanctification

Carbon

“The Christian life is a life of non-conformity.”
Reaction score
Faith
Reformed
Country
USA
Marital status
Married
Politics
Conservative
From another thread,
I asked @Josheb this question:
Do you believe sanctification is synergistic?
@Josheb
Not prior to conversion.

Because of his answer, I have to ask him.

Do we start in the Spirit and end in the flesh?

Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh? Gal 3:3.

13 for if you are living in accord with the flesh, you are going to die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live. Romans 8:13.

@Eleanor asked.
I do not see my question addressed regarding the meaning of Ro 6:16, i.e., "obedience which leads to righteousness."
We are no longer slaves to sin.
But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life. Rom 6:22.
It seems you are saying "righteousness which leads to obedience."
Well, read Rom 6:22 again.

Wouldn't you agree because of righteousness we can be obedient?

@Eleanor asked.

We are no longer slaves to sin.
But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life. Rom 6:22.

Well, read Rom 6:22 again.

Wouldn't you agree because of righteousness we can be obedient?
So sanctification is the fruit of being set free from sin and being slaves to God?
What does being slaves to God mean? Is there action involved, and what is its result?

So sanctification is the fruit of being set free from sin and being slaves to God?
What does being slaves to God mean? Is there action involved, and what is its result?
Well, Romans 6:20 teaches that we, by nature, were slaves to sin.
And we were free in regard to righteousness.
Notice in :22, But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life.
We don't make ourselves free, we are freed by God and we don't make ourselves slaves to God we have been enslaved by God.
When God does His work, and we are placed in Christ, Christ is our righteousness, which breaks the power of sin and transforms us by renewing our minds.
The slavery in Romans 6 does not imply being forced against our wills to do something. It mainly implies that our wills are enslaved. Our wills are bound to do sin or bound to do righteousness because by nature we either see the rewards of sin or the beauty of righteousness as more attractive. So in both cases, we do what we want most to do.
We are either enslaved to sin or enslaved to God.

Last edited:
From another thread,
Carbon said:
Do you believe sanctification is synergistic?

@Josheb said:
Not prior to conversion.

Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh? Gal 3:3.

13 for if you are living in accord with the flesh, you are going to die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live. Romans 8:13.

I should think this would depend on one's definition of synergism. If all it means is that we, too, work toward that end (of sanctification), then yes, it is synergistic. But if all it means is that our efforts add to God's efforts for an overall greater result than what God can do alone, then, no, it is not synergistic. And, I think most Calvinists/Reformed would agree that any good (sanctification) in me is the work of God alone in me.

I should think this would depend on one's definition of synergism.
It would be God and man working together to achieve a certain desired result, no? What's important is the actual definition, not one's own, wouldn't you agree?
If all it means is that we, too, work toward that end (of sanctification), then yes, it is synergistic. But if all it means is that our efforts add to God's efforts for an overall greater result than what God can do alone, then, no, it is not synergistic.

And, I think most Calvinists/Reformed would agree that any good (sanctification) in me is the work of God alone in me.
I would hope.

Well, Romans 6:20 teaches that we, by nature, were slaves to sin.
And we were free in regard to righteousness.
Notice in :22, But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life.
We don't make ourselves free, we are freed by God and we don't make ourselves slaves to God we have been enslaved by God.
When God does His work, and we are placed in Christ, Christ is our righteousness, which breaks the power of sin and transforms us by renewing our minds.
The slavery in Romans 6 does not imply being forced against our wills to do something. It mainly implies that our wills are enslaved. Our wills are bound to do sin or bound to do righteousness because by nature we either see the rewards of sin or the beauty of righteousness as more attractive. So in both cases, we do what we want most to do.
We are either enslaved to sin or enslaved to God.
And isn't it God who is at work in us, not ourselves with our desires and such. His work in us is both for us to desire, and to do. For His good pleasure of course.

If it's God's work that causes us to desire. And His work that causes us to do. Then what part do we have in that? Do we being evil, help God to cause ourselves to desire good, and to do good? Or is that God alone?

for it is God who is at work in you, both to desire and to work for His good pleasure. Phil 2:13.

And isn't it God who is at work in us, not ourselves with our desires and such. His work in us is both for us to desire, and to do. For His good pleasure of course.

If it's God's work that causes us to desire. And His work that causes us to do. Then what part do we have in that? Do we being evil, help God to cause ourselves to desire good, and to do good? Or is that God alone?

for it is God who is at work in you, both to desire and to work for His good pleasure. Phil 2:13.
How about when we are born again? Is it our working with God synergistically that causes us to desire and stop using filthy language?
Or using God's name in vain? Or stop going out and getting drunk? Stop hanging out with certain crowds? Or cause us to stop listening to certain music and maybe even throw it out?

I say no, you had no working in that. If anything, I would say that is a cause (or a sign) of conversion.

It would be God and man working together to achieve a certain desired result, no? What's important is the actual definition, not one's own, wouldn't you agree?
Of course. So, what is the ACTUAL definition of synergism?
I would hope.
:D

Well, obedience begets further obedience, so yes, we do works to that end, but that too is the work of God! What we do does not add to what God does. It is 'swallowed up', (for lack of a more apt phrase), in the work of God. It is part of what God has decreed, and what he works in us to do.

Didn't you just agree with the definition?
I presented two different notions of it; I've heard both. I don't know which is THE ACTUAL definition.

From another thread,

Hmmmm..... I'm inclined to read this inquiry as disingenuous because 1) you and I have discussed this question at great length and 2) you wrote an op on the post-conversion synergism of sanctification, and an op about a book presenting multiple views of sanctification (two of which are Reformed views), two ops, in fact. I have posted many of the verses where scripture explicitly places the collaborative causality of sanctification in the work of the already-regenerate, and in that op surveying Reformed thinkers quotes from several noted Calvinist theologians arguing the same were posted. I have commended that op multiple times in this forum. For anyone believing the scriptures posted exactly as written, those other ops are unnecessary. The conclusion to at the end of that op is "And if all this is confusing, you can simply say: we work out our sanctification as God works in us [Phil. 2:12]. Those are the two truths we must protect: the gift of God in sanctification and the activity of man." which is exactly what I had previously presented. I, therefore, find it curious my correct position wasn't acknowledged then, isn't presented in this op, and my handle is now being exploited as if the shared position wasn't already known before the question asked in this op was posted.

So please remove my handle from this op. The mention of my handle is unnecessary and the "I must ask..." is disingenuous. An acceptable alternative would be something like adding a statement saying, "In previous threads, Josh has said sanctification necessarily involves our effort after conversion because the Holy Spirit empowers us to be collaborative agents rather than hostile ones. That change is part of the sanctifying process. Faith begets faithfulness."

That being said.....

My answer to the question this opening post asks is the same: God works in us so that we work to do God's will via His power and not that of our flesh. That work, His will, includes but is not limited to the cleaning up of our lives, the restoring of us to what we had originally been made to be, our transformation, and eventual salvation. The answer to the question asked is that the question is a bad question because it insinuates I might say we can finish in our flesh when everyone here knows I have never said any such thing and vigorously argued against that position countless times. There is also the risk that less-informed Christians will erroneously think there are only on or two options when the fact of whole scripture is that the slave of righteousness is also a servant and an adopted son/daughter privileged with all the blessings, power, and authority of the Son such that s/he is no longer at enmity with the Creator and can and will act in faithfulness and obedience through the gift of faith and influence and power of the incarnate Christ who is still alive, the written word that is living and active, and the Holy Spirit who guides, teaches, inspires, directs and the three combined do a host of things making us willing, active, collaborative agents with God as HE works His salvation in us. The premise post-regeneration sanctification is ONLY God or ONLY the creature is a false dichotomy, and one directly contradicting the ops above to which everyone has now been linked.

The verse quoted in the op (Rom. 8:13) plainly states, "you" are putting to death the deeds of the body. That is what it states. How do we do that? By the Spirit. That verse does NOT say, "...but if by the Spirit the Spirit puts to death the deeds of the body..." and any suggestion that's how it should be read perverts the text. There's not an orthodox Calvinist here who thinks we're robots or puppets and every single one of us has defended against that wretched falsehood, that mockery of monergism. The uniform answer to the rhetorical question Paul asks in Galatians 3:3 is an unequivocal "NO!" No! we are NOT being perfected by the flesh.

Any insinuation I might answer in any way contrary to scripture should be discarded. The point presumably wanting to be made by this op can be made without mentioning any member of CCAM.

Philippians 2:12-13
So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

Where we had once been hostile to God, objects of wrath, futile in our thinking, given over to our lusts, unable to understand the things of the Spirit, and every desire was one solely of the flesh, the work of the Holy Spirit reconciles us to God, makes us alive in our thinking, give use the mind of Christ, circumcises the heart and changes it from stone to flesh, seals us with adoption such that the gift of faith begets faithfulness. The regenerate's dependence on the Spirit is inescapable. God works in us. We then will and work for His good pleasure and those two conditions persist until one day we are raised incorruptible and immortal from the grave. The work of God and the work of His sons/daughters are not mutually exclusive conditions. We are wholly dependent on Him, and we work by and for His good purpose as He works in us to do so.

It is impossible for the unregenerate to do ANY of this.

These things are easily understood when scripture is read as written.

We are new in nature, called out of the darkness to follow and obey God. God doesn't coerce people, he doesn't bring people kicking and screaming against their wills. They come willingly because God has regenerated them by his Holy Spirit giving them New Minds and Hearts where they follow and obey.

Whereas the old man followed the prince of the air lusting after the cravings of lust and sin; willingly. God redeems us from this plight. He frees us from this bondage. And this is all his doing.

We are new in nature, called out of the darkness to follow and obey God. God doesn't coerce people, he doesn't bring people kicking and screaming against their wills. They come willingly because God has regenerated them by his Holy Spirit giving them New Minds and Hearts where they follow and obey.
Amen
Whereas the old man followed the prince of the air lusting after the cravings of lust and sin; willingly. God redeems us from from this plight. He frees us from this bondage. And this is all his doing.
Amen

Last edited:
makesends said:
Probably that is what it should mean, but that is vague enough for some to infer that the result of synergism is greater than what God can do alone. My wife was one who would say that God cannot do (x, y or z) if we do not obey. The fact that he doesn't is no indication that he cannot.

Yes, our obedience contributes to our sanctification, and that, rather obviously, is also the work of God in us. But that 'contribution' by way of obedience is why historically, sanctification is not the reference to monergism that regeneration is, since we are not only not consulted in the matter, but have no influence in the matter of regeneration. It is God's choice, and not ours, that procures our salvation.

makesends said:
Yep.

mono = single
ergon = work

syn = together
ergon = work
Probably that is what it should mean, but that is vague enough for some to infer that the result of synergism is greater than what God can do alone.
Which is absurd on its face given the predicate condition of an almighty sovereign deity.
My wife was one who would say that God cannot do (x, y or z) if we do not obey.
And you're still married to her ;). Must be love 🥰.
The fact that he doesn't is no indication that he cannot.
Correct, but I would add the post-regenerative, post conversion synergism is one of the purposes of the regenerative conversion; to make us being capable of collaborating with what is otherwise an all powerful God Who has absolutley no need of assistance and cannot be eclipsed in any way 🤨.

Ephesians 2:10
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

Work is the purpose of being created in Christ (and it certainly is not work against God 🤪)!
Yes, our obedience contributes to our sanctification
Only post regeneration and conversion. Prior to that is the work of God through His Son at Calvary and His Spirit that sanctifies, and they do so monergistically. There is a since in which we sanctify, or we are able to do so synergistically only because He has first done so monergistically.
.....and that, rather obviously, is also the work of God in us.
Yep
But that 'contribution' by way of obedience is why historically, sanctification is not the reference to monergism that regeneration is, since we are not only not consulted in the matter, but have no influence in the matter of regeneration. It is God's choice, and not ours, that procures our salvation.
Amen! Well said

Regarding sanctification.
I suppose I will jump in here with a few thoughts that may be of some help to folks dropping in. Many of you folks are quite learned, but perhaps some are just beginning in their walk.
I think in terms of two analogies, neither of which are perfect, but have been of some help to me over the years.
1. A tree
2. The land

When God made us Alive 'In Christ' the source of our life changed from the earthly to the heavenly. He essentially and in a very real way severed us from the kingdom of darkness and into His Kingdom. We being like a tree uprooted and turned upside down with our roots now in the heavens. However, the branches are still in this earthly realm and subject to much of what this realm exudes. Our branches are always catching flying things that wish to land there and affect our thinking and yank on our flesh. We have this Treasure in earthen vessels. Through His word (scriptures) rhema and our brethren, we learn to shew away those birds. God will touch something in us and we respond with a "yes Lord", thus agreeing with Him and 'changed'. This is all the Lord's doing. It is only because of 'New Life' that we are able to say 'Yes Lord'.

The other is the 'Land' and I will attempt to connect this aspect of our ongoing sanctification to His Kingdom.
When the Israelites were entering the Land and one way or another the inhabitants were driven out or not, the Lord was establishing His Kingdom on earth. A place set aside for His purpose and our learning. I see the Land as a metaphor for our ongoing sanctification.
When He touches something in us that is not of Him, and we say 'yes Lord' and thus give our loyalty to Him rather than the flesh and the earth, He reigns there. His Kingdom is in a very real way established. The gates of hell cannot withstand the onslaught of His Victory.
It is needful and healthy to remember that it is all His Working in us.
Jesus said, "you can do nothing without me". "No thing". Not some things, or things of a catagory or another!
No thing.
This is the sense and realization as He works in us; to know deep within our being that we need Him to walk, talk, breathe and think.
Thus we grow toward that place where He is Lord. We decrease as He increases.
Our roots are 'In Him'.

Yep.

mono = single
ergon = work

syn = together
ergon = work

Which is absurd on its face given the predicate condition of an almighty sovereign deity.
AMEN!
And you're still married to her ;). Must be love 🥰.
No. By the grace of God, she's been in Heaven since 2016.
Correct, but I would add the post-regenerative, post conversion synergism is one of the purposes of the regenerative conversion; to make us being capable of collaborating with what is otherwise an all powerful God Who has absolutley no need of assistance and cannot be eclipsed in any way 🤨.

Ephesians 2:10
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

Work is the purpose of being created in Christ (and it certainly is not work against God 🤪)!
Yep. 😁
Only post regeneration and conversion. Prior to that is the work of God through His Son at Calvary and His Spirit that sanctifies, and they do so monergistically. There is a since in which we sanctify, or we are able to do so synergistically only because He has first done so monergistically.
I like the way you put that.
Yep

Amen! Well said

Good question: "Do we start in the Spirit and end in the flesh" @Josheb

YOU SAID: "We are no longer slaves to sin."
RESPONSE: We may not be slaves to sin, but we are still under its judgment which is death.

Back