• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

Post a Scripture

“For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second. Because finding fault with them, He says: “Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they did not continue in My covenant, and I disregarded them, says the LORD. For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. None of them shall teach his neighbor, and none his brother, saying, “Know the LORD,’ for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.””

(Hebrews 8:7-12 NKJV)

There are a number of verses and passages in the Bible that I appreciate for all that they have to say to us/teach us with such an economy of words. This one, for instance, summarizes the entire OT ("the Law and the Prophets"), at least its horizontal laws/commands/precepts anyway, in the first half of the verse. Simply AMAZING, yes :)

Matthew 7 (NASB 77')
12 However you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

The Lord's command in v12a tells us that we are to always treat others as we at least hope/wish we were being treated by them, even if they are treating us horribly in the moment and/or have treated us horribly in the past (within the limitations that the Lord has already set for us in certain situations, of course .. e.g. Matthew 7:6).

The following verse is similar in all the amazing things that it tells us, but it seems that the Lord also said the same thing (more or less) in several different ways to make sure that the important point that He is making to us about our salvation would not be missed anyone (and yet, sadly, many still do :confused:).

John 5 (NASB 95')
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, ~has~ eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life."

--Papa Smurf

Here is another, similar one, this time regarding how a Christian can keep his/her tongue in check (it seems to me that whenever we obey all that this verse tells us to do, that it would be almost impossible to sin when speaking to others).

Ephesians 4 (NASB 77')
29 Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear.

--Papa Smurf

Finally, for now, there is the following verse, a verse that shows us (among other things) how very involved the Lord is in the moment by moment of our daily lives as He protects us from sin by 1. making sure that the temptations that He allows to face are never more than we can handle and 2. by providing us with a way of escape from all of the temptations that we face (so that we never need to allow them to become sin).

1 Corinthians 10 (NASB 95')
13 No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.

--Papa Smurf

“For this reason we also, since the day we heard about it, have not ceased praying for you and asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so that you will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all perseverance and patience; joyously giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.”

(Colossians 1:9-14 NAS20)

There is so much to consider here.

“For this reason we also, since the day we heard about it, have not ceased praying for you and asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so that you will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all perseverance and patience; joyously giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.”

(Colossians 1:9-14 NAS20)

There is so much to consider here.
And so many presumptive notions to be weeded out.

“Therefore, if you have been raised with Christ, keep seeking the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on the things that are above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.”

(Colossians 3:1-4 NAS20)

The High Priestly Prayer​

17 When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, 2 since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. 3 And this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. 4 I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. 5 And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.

6 “I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world. Yours they were, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. 7 Now they know that everything that you have given me is from you. 8 For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. 9 I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours. 10 All mine are yours, and yours are mine, and I am glorified in them. 11 And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one. 12 While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. 13 But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 15 I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one.[a] 16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them[b] in the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sake I consecrate myself,[c] that they also may be sanctified[d] in truth.

20 “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me. 24 Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world. 25 O righteous Father, even though the world does not know you, I know you, and these know that you have sent me. 26 I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.”

Roman 8

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.[a] 2 For the law of the Spirit of life has set you[b] free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. 3 For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin,[c] he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Romans 8

31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be[i] against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? 33 Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.[j] 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? 36 As it is written,

“For your sake we are being killed all the day long;
we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”
37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Eph 1:13-14

In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.

17 When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, 2 since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. 3 And this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. 4 I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. 5 And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.

6 “I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world. Yours they were, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. 7 Now they know that everything that you have given me is from you. 8 For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. 9 I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours. 10 All mine are yours, and yours are mine, and I am glorified in them. 11 And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one. 12 While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. 13 But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 15 I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one.[a] 16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them[b] in the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sake I consecrate myself,[c] that they also may be sanctified[d] in truth.

20 “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me. 24 Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world. 25 O righteous Father, even though the world does not know you, I know you, and these know that you have sent me. 26 I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.”
This is is a really good place to substitute 'nature' for the name...for understanding.

For in Him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also His offspring. - Acts 17:28 (KJV)

Every breath, our very being, is dependent on Him, every moment of our lives! :)

I love John 17, though some of the implications are a bit scary, (too much for me to handle). But notice how verses 2 and 3 work together, and what is being put forth there! Sounds very Calvinistic! The Father gave authority to the Son, to give eternal life to whomever (and all) that the Father gave to the Son —and THIS is that eternal life: To know the Father and Jesus Christ.

You don't slowly get eternal life, so what can it be talking about? I think it has to be referring to salvific Faith, the gift of God by which we KNOW the Father and the Son via the work of the Spirit in us (the One who knows them completely and intimately).

I love John 17, though some of the implications are a bit scary, (too much for me to handle). But notice how verses 2 and 3 work together, and what is being put forth there! Sounds very Calvinistic! The Father gave authority to the Son, to give eternal life to whomever (and all) that the Father gave to the Son —and THIS is that eternal life: To know the Father and Jesus Christ.

You don't slowly get eternal life, so what can it be talking about? I think it has to be referring to salvific Faith, the gift of God by which we KNOW the Father and the Son via the work of the Spirit in us (the One who knows them completely and intimately).
Yup…John is referring to that moment in time when the Father places an elect one into Christ. The power given to Christ relates to His Cross, Resurrection and Ascension making it possible to give that Life to the elect.
If you get down pat what I put together in ‘Salvation is Relocation’, then most everything becomes clear and simple and much error is avoided.

As we grow and mature in the Lord, we are left with one inevitable conclusion…we can do nothing without Christ.
Over years, He arranges things to break us down. We become weaker, less confident, less sure of ourselves.
We decrease…He increases.
Jacob teaches us much in this regard. He was an extremely talented man who manipulated his environment for himself.
Over the years, the Lord broke him until finally he was weak enough to be a vessel of the Lord and became Israel.
Read his story again in this light and be blessed.

God’s Way is the opposite of man’s. Many in christendom operate wrongly; thinking as they grow in scriptural knowledge, they become more powerful and ‘able’ to serve. Having never been broken, they never grow beyond the fleshy.
David, is another example for us. He was hunted, his kingdom stolen, Saul threw spears at him. He lost everything of this world living in a cave. He emerged a very changed man. A type of Christ.
Compare Saul and David. Different results.

God’s Way is the opposite of man’s. Many in christendom operate wrongly; thinking as they grow in scriptural knowledge, they become more powerful and ‘able’ to serve. Having never been broken, they never grow beyond the fleshy.
David, is another example for us. He was hunted, his kingdom stolen, Saul threw spears at him. He lost everything of this world living in a cave. He emerged a very changed man. A type of Christ.
Compare Saul and David. Different results.
Boaz (the man, not my dog) and David are two of my favorite examples of truly godly men, but also fallible. In David's case, we see in his Psalms especially a true knowledge of God full of faith. They are a good place for us to gain a deeper knowledge of God and the covenant relationship God has with His people. David knew that everything, from protection, food, his mental state, righteousness, learning of God, comfort, strength, endurance, understanding of the law---everything had to come from God. And he learned it through trials and suffering. David trusted God.

"Wait upon the Lord. Wait I say upon the Lord, and he will again strengthen your heart."

We do not know what God is doing that we cannot see. Just as with Joseph in Egypt, and then the four hundred years the children of Jacob were in bondage. But He tells us in Romans that all things are working for the good of those who love Him according to His purpose. And the great hope of the resurrection and the renewal of all things, the utter destruction of all God's enemies, is certain.

So much laid out here by Paul.
He shows among other things how the covenant of Grace was always meant to extend beyond…to all men.
“For the promise to Abraham or to his descendants that he would be heir of the world was not through the Law, but through the righteousness of faith. For if those who are of the Law are heirs, then faith is made void and the promise is nullified; for the Law brings about wrath, but where there is no law, there also is no violation.

For this reason it is by faith, in order that it may be in accordance with grace, so that the promise will be guaranteed to all the descendants, not only to those who are of the Law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all, (as it is written: “I HAVE MADE YOU A FATHER OF MANY NATIONS”) in the presence of Him whom he believed, that is, God, who gives life to the dead and calls into being things that do not exist. In hope against hope he believed, so that he might become a father of many nations according to that which had been spoken, “SO SHALL YOUR DESCENDANTS BE.””

(Romans 4:13-18 NAS20)

Back