• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Occam's razor

TonyChanYT

Sophomore
Reaction score
Occam's razor:

a scientific and philosophical rule that says
  • entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily
  • the simplest of competing theories be preferred to the more complex
  • explanations of unknown phenomena be sought first in terms of known quantities.
I use Occam's razor or parsimony as one of the hermeneutic tools when I interpret Bible verses. E.g., in the case of Are homosexual acts sinful?, there are several relevant verses. Each of the verses can be explained away by some means as not pointing to a man having sexual intercourse with another man. However, there is a simple unifying explanation: it is talking about a man having sex with another man. To me, this simple unifying factor is worthy of some strong weight.

Occam's razor works well in scientific research. I think it works well in Biblical hermeneutics as well.

Occam's razor:

I use Occam's razor or parsimony as one of the hermeneutic tools when I interpret Bible verses. E.g., in the case of Are homosexual acts sinful?, there are several relevant verses. Each of the verses can be explained away by some means as not pointing to a man having sexual intercourse with another man. However, there is a simple unifying explanation: it is talking about a man having sex with another man. To me, this simple unifying factor is worthy of some strong weight.

Occam's razor works well in scientific research. I think it works well in Biblical hermeneutics as well.
Do you use it in conjunction with other basic precepts of sound exegesis?

Back