• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

No repentance for God is by our own will power alone

Gospel repentance is a grace , produced by the regenerating power of Christ through the Holy Spirit. Its the repentance Christ as Saviour gives unto His spiritual seed Israel Acts 5:31

Gods' repentance is given by His longsuffering grace, when any man anywhere obeys His command to repent of all our dead works for Jesus' sake.

God's repentance is not man's half-hearted repentance by his own will and convenience. Nor is such religion of man by God's grace.
False comments

Some people believe that they chose God
Some people choose to repent of sinning as God commands all sinners everywhere to do.

because they prayed to God one day and God responded,
And because they repent of sinning for God's sake, then He keeps His promise to give the promised whole new heart and life of Christ.

or they felt as though when God was drawing them to Him
Some are drawn by God to repentance, with His godly sorrow granted by grace.

Others remain stiffnecked against the conviction of the Spirit of grace.

And yet others are drawn to their own measure of repentance for sake of religion.

they were utilising their free will to believe or have faith in God.
And some utilize their free will to remain stiffnecked unrepented sinners.

And some others try to justify themselves in unrepentance.

This is just the very first baby Christian position.
The first newborn babe position is repented from sinning for Jesus' sake.

The first baby religion position, is repenting in thought, but not in deed and in truth.

When a person that has been born again who doesn't know much of the Bible starts to study it,
And begin to learn how to continue being a born son of God with obedience.

Some unrepented children of disobedience can become converted to religion for the unrepented.

they will discover that God loved and chose them first,
And some others learn how to change the Bible into being saved by faith and unjustified by works.

God loved us first, not chose us first.

It is only unfamiliarity with what the Bible actually states and says about salvation in many different ways
They will learn such things as different ways of salvation, which is always apart from first repenting of all dead works as commanded by God.

The one main way, that all the other ways circle around, is being saved by faith alone first, and then gradually repenting some at leisure.

that can induce people to adopt the contrary idea that it was their own power that saved them and not God and His power.
Which is convincing themselves of being saved along with their own partial repentance, and denying the power of God to repent of all sins and trespasses at once.

After all, if the Bible says God chose an elect before the universe was created, how can that be denied?
The god of this world did choose for all men to sin, and to repent not of sinning.

The God and Creator of all men in His own image, chose for all men to please Him at all times. When all men chose not to, He chose His own Lamb before the world began to redeem them that repent, and please the Father through the Son at all times.

Many are called to repentance by hearing of the word of truth, and few are chosen by doing the word and repenting for Jesus' sake.

Them that choose to repent not God's way, still please the devil whether doing good or evil, so long as it's not doing good all the time.

And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:

For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

It can't, except in pride and hubris.
Pride and hubris is saving oneself by one's own faith alone, and offering up a bloodless religion of one's own measure of repentance at leisure.

And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering:

But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.

In their minds they are sorry, but in their deeds they are rebellious.

False comments
You blaspheme my gospel, every bit as much as I blaspheme your gospel. I have no problem with it either way.

The difference between us is that you pray I repent of mine. And for me to repent of my gospel would be to repent of doing good all the time.

For godly sorrow worketh repentance unto salvation not to be repented of:

But, I don't pray for you to repent of your gospel, because it's for not repenting of all your sins and trespasses.

There is a sinning unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

The word Give in Acts 5 and grant in Acts 11 are the very same greek word didómi and does mean to:

1. of one's own accord to give one something, to his advantage; to bestow, give as a gift:

to supply, furnish, necessary things:

Joined with nouns denoting strength, faculty, power, virtue, δίδωμι (τίνι τί) is equivalent to: to furnish, endue,

This furnishing is the new birth, new Spiritual life and faculties.

The word repent in the Bible, means repent. I'm sure it's the same in the Greek.

The words repent unto salvation in the Bible. means repent unto salvation. I'm sure it's the same in the Syriac.

An antichrist is willing to try and change the times, seasons, and rules in order to justify his unrepentance.

That includes simple rules of grammar.

If repentance is the product of your will power, and it requires God's grace to be effective to begin with, surely you aren't saying you had it within YOU yourself to effect your own salvation independently of God and His grace?

Because it sounds like that is exactly what you are trying to say.

Because it sounds like that is exactly what you are trying to say.
If we read a teaching more carefully (especially those we are already disposed to reject), without injecting our own preconceptions into it, then we can at least know exactly what is being said, and not what we want to try to have something say.

Rejecting something accurately requires first knowing it accurately. Rejecting something by our own inaccurate reading of it, is justifying rejection of something we just don't personally like.

If repentance is the product of your will power, and it requires God's grace to be effective to begin with, surely you aren't saying you had it within YOU yourself to effect your own salvation independently of God and His grace?
And so, show anywhere that I say repentance granted by God, is the product of our own will power. If not, then the accusation of saving ourselves independently of God, has no place.

The teaching I give is for disproving that accusation.
There's an accusation going around that first repenting according to the commandment of God, in order to have saving faith toward God, is somehow trusting in 'one's own will' to be saved.
Try rereading the first post about 3/4 down, in order to see what really is man's repentance by his own will alone.

God's commanded repentance is from all sins and trespasses now at once, for Jesus' sake.

Any other kind of repentance by man, is according to man's own will, and not by the will of God.

Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

For godly sorrow worketh repentance unto salvation not to be repented of:

Whether it is repentance for sake of health, career, civil obedience, or religion alone, then it is man's own willing repentance, not the Lord's.

Therefore, it's the ongoing sinners only partially and 'progressively' repenting in their own good time, that never end their sins and trespasses, who are attempting to save themselves independent of God's commanded will.

Repenting of some sins and trespasses in the name of Christ, is the not the commanded repentance of all transgressions for Jesus' sake.

Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
The sinners' religion of sinning less than before, is not the pure religion of Jesus Christ ceasing the sinning of the past.

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. And all things are of God,

If we read a teaching more carefully (especially those we are already disposed to reject), without injecting our own preconceptions into it, then we can at least know exactly what is being said, and not what we want to try to have something say.

Rejecting something accurately requires first knowing it accurately. Rejecting something by our own inaccurate reading of it, is justifying rejection of something we just don't personally like.

And so, show anywhere that I say repentance granted by God, is the product of our own will power. If not, then the accusation of saving ourselves independently of God, has no place.

The teaching I give is for disproving that accusation.

Try rereading the first post about 3/4 down, in order to see what really is man's repentance by his own will alone.
I'm really sorry but I cannot communicate with you properly because I speak English and your native language is not English. It seems quite simple to me, that. This is not to derail the thread, just that if someone is speaking a foreign language I cannot understand in my own language, it is useless.

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
No Conviction of SIN by the Holy Spirit = No real "Repentence" possible. Conviction of SIN is the SOURCE of Saving FAITH (Rom 10:17).

Now to show why I believe that repentance is the product of the new birth, lets look at 1 Pet 1:3

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

The words begotten us again, speaking of new birth, is the word anagennaō:
  1. to produce again, be born again, born anew
  2. metaph. to have one's mind changed so that he lives a new life and one conformed to the will of God
So repentance correlates with being born anew, which is produced through the resurrection of Christ from the dead. This explains why Peter says in Acts 5:31

31Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

notice to be born anew is to have one mind changed, which is the essence of repentance.

No Conviction of SIN by the Holy Spirit = No real "Repentence" possible. Conviction of SIN is the SOURCE of Saving FAITH (Rom 10:17).
True. The commandment to repent comes with the Spirit to convict sins and trespasses. If the trespasser is not convicted, then he has no hope of repenting to be saved from the sinning.

I'm really sorry but I cannot communicate with you properly because I speak English and your native language is not English. It seems quite simple to me, that. This is not to derail the thread, just that if someone is speaking a foreign language I cannot understand in my own language, it is useless.
No need to be sorry. If you can't understand me, then it is useless to try. Thanks anyway.

Now to show why I believe that repentance is the product of the new birth, lets look at 1 Pet 1:3

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
True. Being born again is at conversion by repentance.

which is produced through the resurrection of Christ from the dead.
True, with repentance from crucifying the Son, the resurrected Savior freely forgives all past transgressions, with the free gift of His Spirit's newborn heart and life.

notice to be born anew is to have one mind changed, which is the essence of repentance.
God's repentance is not mind only, but is of deeds, even as God's gift is not faith only, but is with works.

Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

The Lord's thoughts and ways are always the same together. He is never double minded like sinful man, that changes thoughts but not deeds.

Salvation without repentance and faith without works, is a dead man's own salvation and faith.

God's saving faith is only granted with His commanded repentance of all sins and trespasses.

Jesus' gospel is repent unto salvation. It's the good news of life given to unconditional surrender.

Hardened unrepenters' gospel is salvation unto some repenting. It's the strong delusion of conditional surrender.

True. Being born again is at conversion by repentance.

True, with repentance from crucifying the Son, the resurrected Savior freely forgives all past transgressions, with the free gift of His Spirit's newborn heart and life.

God's repentance is not mind only, but is of deeds, even as God's gift is not faith only, but is with works.

Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

The Lord's thoughts and ways are always the same together. He is never double minded like sinful man, that changes thoughts but not deeds.

Salvation without repentance and faith without works, is a dead man's own salvation and faith.

God's saving faith is only granted with His commanded repentance of all sins and trespasses.

Jesus' gospel is repent unto salvation. It's the good news of life given to unconditional surrender.

Hardened unrepenters' gospel is salvation unto some repenting. It's the strong delusion of conditional surrender.
So you see everyone Christ died for is given the new birth and repentance through His resurrection

So you see everyone Christ died for is given the new birth and repentance through His resurrection
For everyone's sake, but not with everyone. Not everyone repents of their sins and trespasses for Jesus' sake, to be born again through His resurrection.

For everyone's sake, but not with everyone. Not everyone repents of their sins and trespasses for Jesus' sake, to be born again through His resurrection.
Oh No, Everyone He died for and rose again are born again by His Resurrection 1 Pet 1:3

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

Try again. This time read the words written.

It's common for them that don't read the words of the Bible as written, to do the same with them teaching the words written in the Bible.

Try again. This time read the words written.

It's common for them that don't read the words of the Bible as written, to do the same with them teaching the words written in the Bible.
1 Pet 1:3

The unregenerate, who are in the flesh still, have no right to or no command to repent. All while in the flesh as natural men are bound to the Law, to do the whole Law as it was with Adam. So any command for men to repent as say in Acts 17:30

30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Its to the regenerate, who through the work of Christ and the Holy Spirit have been freed to be married to another. Rom 7:1-3

Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?

2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth;
but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

Now its only through the death of Christ for an individual are they free from the dominion of the law, however its a secret as who it is Christ died until born again by the Spirit. So even the unregenerate elect for whom Christ died, are bound to do the law. Until they are regenerate, the command to repent isnt for the unregenerate elect. All natural men are bound to and under the dominion of the Law.

Back