• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

No repentance for God is by our own will power alone

Ghada

Well Known Member
Reaction score
And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

There's an accusation going around that first repenting according to the commandment of God, in order to have saving faith toward God, is somehow trusting in 'one's own will' to be saved.

I.e. we that do repent of our sins and trespasses to have faith toward God, are accused of only doing so by our 'own will alone'. We are not doing so by the will that is only of God.

By obeying God's commandment to repent, we are accused of not doing God's will, but our own alone. We are being told it is by our own will power, that we try to save ourselves. This is indeed the great lie and accusation against the saints of God, that do repent of our sins, to have faith toward God unto salvation.

For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

It's an upside-down accusation to justify the unrepented sinners. They do not repent first according to God's commanded will, and condemn them that do obey His will.

How can it be a sinner's will that repents of sinning, when it is in obedience to the commanded will of God to do so? It's not possible. It's a contradiction to how man begins to sin against God in the first place, which is always by doing our own will.

Are not the ones doing their own will, those that refuse to repent of their sinning in the first place? Of course.

Remember, by their own saving faith alone, they don't ever believe nor preach repenting of all sins and trespasses at once, according to God's commandment.

Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.

Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

They only preach faith in being saved first, with 'gradual' repentance of their sinning in part. They never obey nor preach God's commandment to repent of all our sinning against Him. They only preach a convenient repentance of their own, that is never by 'offensive' commandment.

They applaud going on to sinning less than before, but in fact condemn obeying God's commandment to repent and go to sin no more.

What they therefore call 'walking after the Spirit' with casual repentance down the road, and doing so only 'by God's will alone', is just religious terminology for repenting and changing our ways when we feel like it, not when we are still enjoying our old sin.

And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.

That is in fact the feel-good Christianity of convenience. It is the gospel of being saved, justified, and repenting according to one's own faith and will. Indeed, they have an animus against obeying God by commandment, and call it saving ourselves by 'works of the law'.

The dirty little secret coming out here, is that it's not keeping the law without faith, that we preach with Paul against, but it's obeying God at all as by law of commandment, that so offends them. In fact, by hearing such unrepented sinners, the word obedience is not normally used, if ever, it's all about peace, love, and dove with willing desire, but not about crucifying one's own will through obedience to God.

Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever

While it is true that charity and doing good is only from a pure heart of faith and love, repenting of sinning is only by obedience against our own sinful will.

The ongoing sinners' gospel is being with Christ by faith alone, with man's promise of leisurely repentance to follow. The gospel of Jesus Christ is to repent first and eschew evil of our own will, with God's promise of a while new glad heart and life well pleasing to God.

The gospel truth of Jesus Christ, is that as sinners, we are the ones commanded to first repent of doing our own will and sinning against Him.

For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

The gospel of self-will is that of unrepented sinners, that demand they be saved by their own faith alone, and then consent to please God with some repentance following in their own good time.

It's the gospel of rebellious disobedient children, that will only do something they want to do, and never because they are told to.

After all, if we are obeying God's commandment to repent by His will, and not our own, then that would only be before believing we are saved and justified by grace.

Unrepented sinners don't even make such an 'offensive' demand on themselves and others. They just suggest it would be better for life and 'discipleship' to repent and sin less and less at their own convenience. Their ministerial leadership cannot based upon growing in purity of heart and holiness in all things, but just on who's doing the less sinning most of the time.

And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

In context; Paul is addressing idolaters as those times God did winked at the sinners' of their ignorance.

Acts 17:
22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious. 23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, To The Unknown God. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you. 24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; 25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things; 26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; 27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: 28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring. 29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device. 30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: 31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead. 32 And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked: and others said, We will hear thee again of this matter.

So in this instance, it was necessary to call them to repent from their idols and seeking the presence of God in those temples when those who believe in Jesus Christ & that God has raised Him from the dead, their bodies shall become the temple of the Holy Spirit for that effect in verse 28-29.
Luke 13:3I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Luke 13:5I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

In context;

Luke 13:1There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. 2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things? 3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. 4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem? 5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. 6 He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none. 7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground? 8 And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it: 9 And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.

I believe what Jesus is testifying of here pertains to discipleship since it is about being fruitful in living that life of repentance from sin by His grace & by His help; not about how to obtain salvation, but to escape the coming judgment on the earth that other sinners were going to get. That is the whole point of condemning other sinners, and even other Christians, because those that think they are righteous as if they are not as bad as those sinners are, they will perish also, not bearing fruit as His disciples.

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
Acts 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

Peter is addressing the unbelieving Jews and so by believing in Him is how their sins are blotted out and that refreshing ( the Holy Spirit ) shall come.

In context;

Acts 3:12 And when Peter saw it, he answered unto the people, Ye men of Israel, why marvel ye at this? or why look ye so earnestly on us, as though by our own power or holiness we had made this man to walk? 13 The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go. 14 But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you; 15 And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses. 16 And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all. 17 And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers. 18 But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled. 19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord. 20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: 21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began. 22 For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. 23 And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people. 24 Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days. 25 Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed. 26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

Verse 19 can be seen how they were to receive remission of sins and the anointing. by believing in Him as Peter preached that to the Gentiles in Acts 10:43-44 below

Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins. 44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

So once again, the cause of the remission of sins is by believing in Him and thus that is the call of repentance from unbelief is about.

Verse 26 is what Jesus Christ will do when we believe in Him; so this gives hope to habitual sinners to look to Jesus to turning them away from their iniquities at their salvation IF they believe they cannot turn from those sins themselves, having failed from before.

Not sure why you had applied those verses as if they were applicable for the one next;
Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
The previous verse to Hebrews 6:1 that you had quoted was this message:

Hebrews 5:
11 Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing. 12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. 13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. 14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Then this;

Hebrews 6:1Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, 2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. 3 And this will we do, if God permit.

You applied dead works as if Paul meant sins, but you should consider he was writing to believers in Jesus Christ that were formerly Jews whom were trying to obtain salvation by the keeping of the laws of Moses under the Old Covenant. It is repentance from that which are dead works since they are saved by believing in the Lord Jesus Christ & that God has raised Him from the dead.

There's an accusation going around that first repenting according to the commandment of God, in order to have saving faith toward God, is somehow trusting in 'one's own will' to be saved.

I.e. we that do repent of our sins and trespasses to have faith toward God, are accused of only doing so by our 'own will alone'. We are not doing so by the will that is only of God.
It is how you apply the call to repent to sinners; if you do not tell them that Jesus will deliver them from their bondage to sins and to death, then they are looking to themselves to do it for why some will walk away, thinking they have to clean up their lives first before coming to & believing in Jesus Christ.

You acknowledge how sin can have dominion over the lives of sinner and yet fail to comprehend that those who believe and yet look to themselves to stop sinning as if that is what they should do first before coming to Him and even to look to keeping that commitment to follow Christ as if that is the power for believers in how they follow Him, is why they walk away from that unclear religious apostate altar call.

They can't do it; but if you make it clear that Jesus will deliver them from their bondage to sin & death and not just give them eternal life AND that He will be their Good Shepherd daily in helping them to follow Him by abiding in His words as His disciples to bear fruit, then you move that focus on the habitual sinner to do it themselves to that hope in Jesus Christ.

When they realize they can do all things through Jesus Christ without making & keeping that commitment to do so but to believe in Him to help them to do it, then they are living that reconciled relationship with God through Jesus Christ from salvation and onward through discipleship, as they place their confidence and hope in Jesus Christ to finish his work in them as He enables them to run that race for that crown.

In a world where religious altar calls have always been calling sinners to do it, even the Jews under the Old Covenant, this is why Jesus Christ is the Good News to man for the religious sinner can find their rest in Jesus Christ for all things as His yoke is easy and His burden is light..

By obeying God's commandment to repent, we are accused of not doing God's will, but our own alone. We are being told it is by our own will power, that we try to save ourselves. This is indeed the great lie and accusation against the saints of God, that do repent of our sins, to have faith toward God unto salvation.

For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

It's an upside-down accusation to justify the unrepented sinners. They do not repent first according to God's commanded will, and condemn them that do obey His will.

How can it be a sinner's will that repents of sinning, when it is in obedience to the commanded will of God to do so? It's not possible. It's a contradiction to how man begins to sin against God in the first place, which is always by doing our own will.

Are not the ones doing their own will, those that refuse to repent of their sinning in the first place? Of course.

Remember, by their own saving faith alone, they don't ever believe nor preach repenting of all sins and trespasses at once, according to God's commandment.

Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.

Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

They only preach faith in being saved first, with 'gradual' repentance of their sinning in part. They never obey nor preach God's commandment to repent of all our sinning against Him. They only preach a convenient repentance of their own, that is never by 'offensive' commandment.

They applaud going on to sinning less than before, but in fact condemn obeying God's commandment to repent and go to sin no more.

What they therefore call 'walking after the Spirit' with casual repentance down the road, and doing so only 'by God's will alone', is just religious terminology for repenting and changing our ways when we feel like it, not when we are still enjoying our old sin.

And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee.

That is in fact the feel-good Christianity of convenience. It is the gospel of being saved, justified, and repenting according to one's own faith and will. Indeed, they have an animus against obeying God by commandment, and call it saving ourselves by 'works of the law'.

The dirty little secret coming out here, is that it's not keeping the law without faith, that we preach with Paul against, but it's obeying God at all as by law of commandment, that so offends them. In fact, by hearing such unrepented sinners, the word obedience is not normally used, if ever, it's all about peace, love, and dove with willing desire, but not about crucifying one's own will through obedience to God.

Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever

While it is true that charity and doing good is only from a pure heart of faith and love, repenting of sinning is only by obedience against our own sinful will.

The ongoing sinners' gospel is being with Christ by faith alone, with man's promise of leisurely repentance to follow. The gospel of Jesus Christ is to repent first and eschew evil of our own will, with God's promise of a while new glad heart and life well pleasing to God.

The gospel truth of Jesus Christ, is that as sinners, we are the ones commanded to first repent of doing our own will and sinning against Him.

For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

The gospel of self-will is that of unrepented sinners, that demand they be saved by their own faith alone, and then consent to please God with some repentance following in their own good time.

It's the gospel of rebellious disobedient children, that will only do something they want to do, and never because they are told to.

After all, if we are obeying God's commandment to repent by His will, and not our own, then that would only be before believing we are saved and justified by grace.

Unrepented sinners don't even make such an 'offensive' demand on themselves and others. They just suggest it would be better for life and 'discipleship' to repent and sin less and less at their own convenience. Their ministerial leadership cannot based upon growing in purity of heart and holiness in all things, but just on who's doing the less sinning most of the time.

The Gospel of Christ is not our proper response to the Gospel of Christ (repentance, faith, good works).

It is very odd that people trying to speak for Christian faith would minimize the grace of God in the Gospel event.

Here is Romans 3:
20 For no one is declared righteous before him[v] by the works of the law,[w] for through the law comes[x] the knowledge of sin. 21 But now[y] apart from the law the righteousness of God (although it is attested by the law and the prophets)[z] has been disclosed— 22 namely, the righteousness of God through the faithfulness of Jesus Christ[aa] for all who believe. For there is no distinction, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. 24 But they are justified[ab] freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus. 25 God publicly displayed[ac] him[ad] at his death[ae] as the mercy seat[af] accessible through faith.[ag] This was to demonstrate[ah] his righteousness, because God in his forbearance had passed over the sins previously committed.[ai] 26 This was[aj] also to demonstrate[ak] his righteousness in the present time, so that he would be just[al] and the justifier of the one who lives because of Jesus’ faithfulness.[am]

No one will be moved to just repent because you tell them; they must be 'overwhelmed' by the grace of God and that it is seen in this historic event.

No one will be moved to just repent because you tell them; they must be 'overwhelmed' by the grace of God and that it is seen in this historic event.
Thanks. Proves the point. As a disobedient little child, you won't change just because you're told to, but only if you feel like it.

The commandment of God is to all men everywhere to repent, not just to us naming His name.

And nowhere does the Bible say that men 'may only repent', when God smothers the children of disobedience with grace and kisses to do so.

It's the command of unconditional surrender to His enemies, by the total Victor who rose again from the grave, after being cruelly slain by all sinful men.

Your gospel is of conditional surrender, with the counter-offer that you will repent, only if God will save you first. (And your repentance is only of some dead works in your own good time, not all. And only when you don't mind sinning less than before.)

But stop the sinning now by commandment or else? No way! Because you think so much of yourself, that even while sinning with the world, you still ought be called a friend of God.

Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Only we who unconditionally surrender to the Lord, after having unrighteously crucified Him on a cross, can be wholly forgiven of all our past sinning by His grace.

And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled

Thanks. Proves the point. As a disobedient little child, you won't change just because you're told to, but only if you feel like it.

The commandment of God is to all men everywhere to repent, not just to us naming His name.

And nowhere does the Bible say that men 'may only repent', when God smothers the children of disobedience with grace and kisses to do so.

It's the command of unconditional surrender to His enemies, by the total Victor who rose again from the grave, after being cruelly slain by all sinful men.

Your gospel is of conditional surrender, with the counter-offer that you will repent, only if God will save you first. (And your repentance is only of some dead works in your own good time, not all. And only when you don't mind sinning less than before.)

But stop the sinning now by commandment or else? No way! Because you think so much of yourself, that even while sinning with the world, you still ought be called a friend of God.

Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Only we who unconditionally surrender to the Lord, after having unrighteously crucified Him on a cross, can be wholly forgiven of all our past sinning by His grace.

And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled

So you don’t know Romans 2; understood.

The command to repent is never stand-alone , in a vacuum. It is always after the glory of the grace of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

Read Acts 2 and see if you sound like it. It is merely the most important Christian sermon ever. I don’t think you sound like it at all .

It is very odd that people trying to speak for Christian faith would minimize the grace of God in the Gospel event.

True. If you see any of it, let me know. I'll take a look too.

Acts 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

Peter is addressing the unbelieving Jews and so by believing in Him is how their sins are blotted out and that refreshing ( the Holy Spirit ) shall come.

In context;

Acts 3:12 And when Peter saw it, he answered unto the people, Ye men of Israel, why marvel ye at this? or why look ye so earnestly on us, as though by our own power or holiness we had made this man to walk? 13 The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go. 14 But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you; 15 And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses. 16 And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all. 17 And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers. 18 But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled. 19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord. 20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: 21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began. 22 For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you. 23 And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people. 24 Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days. 25 Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed. 26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

Verse 19 can be seen how they were to receive remission of sins and the anointing. by believing in Him as Peter preached that to the Gentiles in Acts 10:43-44 below

Acts 10:43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins. 44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

So once again, the cause of the remission of sins is by believing in Him and thus that is the call of repentance from unbelief is about.

Verse 26 is what Jesus Christ will do when we believe in Him; so this gives hope to habitual sinners to look to Jesus to turning them away from their iniquities at their salvation IF they believe they cannot turn from those sins themselves, having failed from before.

Not sure why you had applied those verses as if they were applicable for the one next;

The previous verse to Hebrews 6:1 that you had quoted was this message:

Hebrews 5:
11 Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing. 12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. 13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. 14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Then this;

Hebrews 6:1Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, 2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. 3 And this will we do, if God permit.

You applied dead works as if Paul meant sins, but you should consider he was writing to believers in Jesus Christ that were formerly Jews whom were trying to obtain salvation by the keeping of the laws of Moses under the Old Covenant. It is repentance from that which are dead works since they are saved by believing in the Lord Jesus Christ & that God has raised Him from the dead.

The Heb passage shows that there is to be repentance bc of many other truths being taught. But it also shows that real growth takes time, that there are things that are past repentance not to be set down as a foundation all over again.
True. If you see any of it, let me know. I'll take a look too.

I was referring to you, Ghada, on the last. It is not the 'imperative to repent' that leads to repentance, but the grace of God, says Rom 2. Of course you are free to write your own Bible, I suppose.

1) How does one come to know they need repentance?
2) Are we qualified to judge ourselves as to what is sin in us?
3) If Jesus was correct when He said, "Without me, you can do nothing" and repentance is doing something, then it follows that we cannot repent without having Jesus.

4) Repentance was given to us (Acts 11:18, 2 Timothy 2:25)

Would you agree that a person is very capable of deceiving themselves about their state of righteousness? What stops that from happening?

No repentance for God is by our own will power alone​

This is the exaltation of man over God. God must given repentance according to His Own Will 2 Tim 2:25

25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

In this long submission there are too many misunderstanding of this "so-great salvation" I don't know where to begin. And the fact that this is very long, and the character limit is 10,000, any comment I make to point out your errors would not be adequately addressed.

John6:44 44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

The loving living commandment is to all but only those elected to salvation are given the faith of Christ to understand the spiritual things of God not seen.

Whosoever does not have the born again Spirit of Christ simply do not below to Him

Salvation has nothing to do with the dying flesh of mankind. . through as oral tradition. (pass it around the room) "I heard it through the dying fathers grapevine"

Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

The faith of Christ is not alone it powerfully works in those born again.

Not human faith(dead) it has no ability or power to work. Being dead in ones trespass and and sin without the Spirt of Christ in this present corrupted world

Dead faith. dead works. Living faith living works .Faith is a work of God. Let there be and it was God good. The golden measure of faith .He gives us little of His.

.Hebrews 6King James Version6 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Our new born again faith comes from God giving us His understanding of faith . Not us. . powerless

The powerful faith of Christ that works in dying mankind. Those yoked with his labor of love .the true foundation of repentance. Christ in us. Not Christ is us.

I'm having a hard time making sense out of this.

Let's start with the Title. No repentance for God is by our own will power alone

Can you rewrite this so I can understand the meaning? Does it mean, "There is no repentance, because God is by our own will power alone."; or, "God cannot repent, and here's why: Repentance is by our will power alone."; or, There is no repentance toward God, by our will power alone."; or what?

The Heb passage shows that there is to be repentance bc of many other truths being taught.
You mean rejecting lies and traditions of men. There aren't 'other truths'.

This of course is part of renewing the mind with the truth of God, that begins with repenting of dead works to have faith toward God alone.

Repentance itself in the Bible is only of works, not of the mind and thoughts only about sin. Bible repentance that leads to the gift of saving faith from Jesus Christ, is from the heart against sinning.

There is no Bible 'repentance' of unbelief or of the mind only. Just changing the mind about sin is not repenting and changing the heart from sinning.

Rejecting false doctrine is renewal of the mind of them repented of sinning, so as not to be seduced back to sin.

Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.

But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

Spots they are and blemishes, sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you; Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls:

But it also shows that real growth takes time,
Of course. But real growth in Christ Jesus is learning the power of overcoming all temptations like Jesus, without sinning by them.

There is no growth nor place in the body of Christ for them falling to temptation, against Jesus, and sinning by them.

The 'growth' of learning to sin less than before, is only for the unrepented sinners converted to religion of sinful men.

I preach the pure and holy growth of sons of God, learning obedience without sinning, like the Son of God.

Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

We know that whosoever is born of God is not sinning; but he that is begotten of God is keeping himself, and that wicked one is touching him not.

I don't preach the continued sinning of sinners converted to their own religion and form of godliness, that only sins less, but never sins not.

Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

I have yet to hear from Christian sinners that only learn to sin less, ever speak of the power of God's godliness to live holy in all manner of life, without at least some ungodly sinning continuing in it from time to time.

Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:

But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

The only growth in Christ Jesus by the sons of God, is as obedient children only. Not as children of disobedience bastardizing themselves to the devil, from time to time.

Conclusion: the Christian religion of unrepented sinners only sinning less than before, is the form of godliness that denies the power thereof to go and sin no more.
that there are things that are past repentance not to be set down as a foundation all over again.
All dead works repented of are past repented, not to be returned to in Christ Jesus.

For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

If we do return to our old sins, then there remains no more sacrifice and forgiveness from Jesus Christ, for our renewed sinning with the world. All that remains is the same judgment and condemnation of God upon all the world of sinners.

And so, the commandment and gospel remains the same: If we do repent of present dead works for Jesus' sake, then like any sinner of the world, we too can be forgiven and justified from our past sins by the true Advocate for the whole world.

And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.

The once grafted in that turn back to sin and broken off from the true vine Jesus Christ, can indeed be gaffed in again, if we abide not in unbelief unto unrighteousness.

I was referring to you, Ghada, on the last. It is not the 'imperative to repent' that leads to repentance, but the grace of God, says Rom 2.
Show where I have said otherwise? I take as much time not reshaping what others teach, as I do with the Bible itself.

We do not repent for salvation of God, by going down the point by point list of transgressions against God, in order to see which ones are left to repent of.

That is the carnal-minded repentance of going to law with God. It's only meant to secure freedom from prosecution by staying on the 'right side' of the law. It does nothing to be made free from the criminal heart and mind, that would transgress where there is no law and order at all.

The outlaw only obeys outwardly, when there's a righteous and powerful lawman in town.

The repentance commanded by God to all men, is only for Jesus' sake, and not just to avoid arrest. And that repentance is only granted by God with His own godly sorrow. And it's only granted to them that would be outwardly and spiritually free from dead works and lust of heart, so as to walk with Jesus with a purified soul and spirit.

For godly sorrow worketh repentance unto salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.

Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Only by godly sorrow of the heart is God granting repentance for Jesus' sake and His salvation. God is not looking for outlaws at heart behaving themselves, as by law alone.

But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness. Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;

God is seeking purified sons to be made true brethren of His dear Son Jesus Christ.

But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the LORD hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the LORD commanded thee.

Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye.

But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

The law of God is that of the Spirit, and so must first be obeyed from the heart. If our heart is cleansed, then so will our life be clean indeed.

Transgression of outward works is only witness to the inner spiritual corruption of the soul.

Outward obedience to the law is only a sign of inward righteousness, but not a guarantee.

Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.
Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

Of course you are free to write your own Bible, I suppose.
I really do avoid saying such things in an argument, because it's saying nothing about the argument. It's just a throw away response to an unanswered challenge.

And as we see here, these throw aways usually come along with other means of avoiding the argument. Such as misstating others' arguments in order to appear justified in dismissing them.

I prefer to let the Scriptures I give and my arguments from them, to show who is teaching the Bible rightly or not.

Last edited:
Back