• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Is repentance needed for salvation?

Hobie

Senior
Reaction score
Some people claim that repentance has no place in salvation, that you can believe in Jesus as “Savior” but never repent of your sin. That you can be saved even if you continue in chained to sin and iniquity just as it was before you became a Christian, that no change is needed. So what does Christ say:

Matthew 4:17 King James Version (KJV)
17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Mark 1:15
And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Matthew 9:13
But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Mark 2:17
When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Luke 5:32 King James Version (KJV)
32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Jesus even repeated it for emphasis in describing to the people:
Luke 13:1-6 King James Version (KJV)
1 There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.
2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?
3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?
5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Jesus told his disciples to proclaim “repentance and remission of sins” in his name to all the nations (Luke 24:47).
When the apostles preached in Acts, they called people to repent of their sins in order to be forgiven:

Acts 2:38 King James Version (KJV)
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 3:19 King James Version (KJV)
19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

Acts 5:30-31 King James Version (KJV)
30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.
31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Scripture is clear, repentance is absolutely necessary in order to be saved. Only those truly repent and turn to Christ and His righteousness in their lives, and away from their sin, will be saved on the last day.

Some people claim that repentance has no place in salvation, that you can believe in Jesus as “Savior” but never repent of your sin. That you can be saved even if you continue in chained to sin and iniquity just as it was before you became a Christian, that no change is needed.
I'm curious. Is this something anecdotally experienced, or something read/heard somewhere in soteriological teaching? If the latter, would you mind posting the source(s) saying repentance unnecessary?
Scripture is clear, repentance is absolutely necessary in order to be saved. Only those truly repent and turn to Christ and His righteousness in their lives, and away from their sin, will be saved on the last day.
If you mean repentance causes salvation then I disagree, but if not then I whole-heartedly agree and would and repentance of sinful flesh is just another merit-less act of sinful flesh. Worldly (fleshly) sorrow brings death. It is only godly grief that leads to repentance. Repentance is something that is granted by God, not birthed from within by sinfully enslaved flesh. We have a stark reminder even those who say they believe in God may not be saved because John the Baptist preached repentance but everyone one of his disciples who'd repented and been baptized with water and did not also believe in Jesus died dead in sin. Their repentance did not save.

Some people claim that repentance has no place in salvation, that you can believe in Jesus as “Savior” but never repent of your sin. That you can be saved even if you continue in chained to sin and iniquity just as it was before you became a Christian, that no change is needed. So what does Christ say:

17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

1 There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.
2 And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?
4 Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?

Jesus told his disciples to proclaim “repentance and remission of sins” in his name to all the nations (Luke 24:47).
When the apostles preached in Acts, they called people to repent of their sins in order to be forgiven:

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Repent is "to change your mind, to turn" to Christ, upon which you turn from your sin.

Yes, if God does not first give us ears to hear his gospel, then we have no power to turn to him so that we can repent.

Two turning. First, he turns us empowering us to turn to him.

Jeremiah 31:18 I have surely heard Ephraim bemoaning himself thus; Thou hast chastised me, and I was chastised, as a bullock unaccustomed to the yoke: turn thou me, and I shall be turned; for thou art the Lord my God.

Revelation informs us that some turned to their leader.as a false source of faith needed to believe God Some did repent and return to the fisrt love hearing the word of God in turn they turned to him the source of faith. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches

Revelation2: 4-7 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. (believe God) Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; (believe God not Nicole ) or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent. But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

Repentance is needed in Salvation since it accompanies Salvation, Salvation in its Spiritual application brings both Faith and Repentance, Jesus when He saves and applies Salvation gives Repentance Acts 5:31

Jesus isnt a Prince and Saviour without giving/causing repentance.

"SOME PEOPLE CLAIM" pretty much covers it.

Is repentance needed for salvation?​

Not as a requirement/condition one must perform in order to get God to save them. Thats law/works salvation, void of Grace Salvation.

Not as a requirement/condition one must perform in order to get God to save them. Thats law/works salvation, void of Grace Salvation.
I would agree we return to our first love "hearing the understanding of God" empowered by his love we can do the "first works believe God" not seen . He turns those who have no turning power of their own.

Two works working together as one turning us to our first love. (the gospel) After being turned he could comfort (repent) himself from the childish ways

Jeremiah 31:17-19King James Version17 And there is hope in thine end, saith the Lord, that thy children shall come again to their own border. I have surely heard Ephraim bemoaning himself thus; Thou hast chastised me, and I was chastised, as a bullock unaccustomed to the yoke: turn thou me, and I shall be turned; for thou art the Lord my God. Surely after that I was turned, I repented; and after that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh: I was ashamed, yea, even confounded, because I did bear the reproach of my youth.

Luke 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

I think that is pretty straight forward command by God yes you must repent or you will perish. How much more clear do you need?

Is repentance needed for salvation?​

Let's ask God:

• "I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.” - Exodus 33:19

• "So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy." - Romans 9:16

• "If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." - Romans 10:9-10

• "And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others. But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." - Ephesians 2:1-10

Luke 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

I think that is pretty straight forward command by God yes you must repent or you will perish. How much more clear do you need?
Amen How could one resist a loving powerful commandment. "Let there be". .. and "goodness began"

To repent is to have been freely given power to raise dying mankind to newness of eternal spirit life.

God the Faithful Creator our breath of life pouring out his Holy Spirit in jeopardy of his own Spirit life giving life to dying flesh

.Either we serve eternal God who is not served by dying hands of mankind alone the temporal. Yoked with Him we can rise to newness of life.

Just curious as to how God gives you repentance? If He said YOU must repent how does he do it for you? Just what is the definition of repent?

A post I did on another thread:

Read Matt 9:13 “For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.””
This says that Jesus wanted sinners to have a change of mind. So, once they sinned, and then they changed to living in a Holy manner.

Those who believe but continue in sin are in big trouble.
1 Cor 6:9-10 says “Don’t you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don’t fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality, or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people—none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God.”

Luke 6:46 says, “Now why do you call Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?” And it then continues to verse 49. It says to act on Jesus' words. It shows what it is like for someone to act and for those that don’t. Those who act will have a solid foundation. While those who do not act will be washed away with their weak foundation.

Romans 8:12-14 also says, "So then, brothers and sisters, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh, for if you are living in accord with the flesh, you are going to die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons and daughters of God." So, believe and repent. Do not live according to the flesh. Simply believing will not save you. Even the demons believe.

Also read Romans 2:5. It says "But in accordance with your hardness and your impenitent heart you are treasuring up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, who “will render to each one according to his deeds”: eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honour, and immortality; but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish, on every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek; but glory, honour, and peace to everyone who works what is good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek."

Notice how those who are saved seek to do good.

Stopping sin is a result of real belief, and remorse and contrition. God desires a broken and contrite heart.

If I were to hit you and then say sorry, you would accept my apology. Then if I was to hit you the following day and then say sorry, you would begin to wonder if I was truly sorry. Then the day after this, I did the same thing, you would realise that I was not truly sorry. My words may say one thing, but my actions show another. What you act out is what you truly believe. If you are truly broken and contrite, then will be a change in you. That is why the bible says that we are given a new heart and new mind. One that obeys Him. "I will give you a new heart and a new mind. I will take away your stubborn heart of stone and give you an obedient heart." Eze 36:26
Belief by itself will not save us. Even the demons believe.

"You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone." James 2:24
Those who truly believe will act differently. They are not leaving their sin to earn their way to heaven. We cannot earn our way there. We are saved by grace through faith. But because we believe, we will then leave our sin. If we believe then we will want to honour God.

Just curious as to how God gives you repentance? If He said YOU must repent how does he do it for you? Just what is the definition of repent?
By giving one a new heart in regeneration. Ezk 36:26-27

26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them
Jesus gives repentance by giving a new heart Acts 5:31

The word repentance metanoia:
  1. a change of mind, as it appears to one who repents, of a purpose he has formed or of something he has done
to give one the ability to repent, or to cause him to repent, Acts 5:31; Acts 11:18; 2 Timothy 2:25

Back