• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

Is baptism required before a person can receive communion?

TonyChanYT

Sophomore
Reaction score
The NT did not assert that but I think it assumed that.

Didache:

let no one eat or drink of your Eucharist, unless they have been baptized into the name of the Lord.
In the early church, as soon as a person believed, he was quickly baptized. Belief and baptism went hand in hand together. What's he waiting for? Get baptized and participate at the Lord's table.

Today, is baptism required before a person can receive communion?

It is a good rule of thumb but I would not be dogmatic. I would relax the rule for a believer with a working plan to get baptized.

If a church requires membership before a person can receive communion, then I'd go to another church.

Didache:

In the early church, as soon as a person believed, he was quickly baptized. Belief and baptism went hand in hand together. What's he waiting for? Get baptized and participate at the Lord's table.

It is a good rule of thumb but I would not be dogmatic. I would relax the rule for a believer with a working plan to get baptized.

If a church requires membership before a person can receive communion, then I'd go to another church.
Curious op because the "Eucharist" and "Communion" are rituals that are much different in modernity than in the NT era where the Passover and the Lord's supper (an entire meal) were the norm. The Didache allows for both immersion and sprinkling in baptism, but baptism was typically performed at the time of conversion, not years or decades prior. So the title could read, "Is an affusion baptism in infancy required before a person can receive a wafer of compressed bread and a thimble of wine or grape juice?" and I suspect that's not what's intended. The title might read, "Is water baptism required before a person can receive a bread wafer and thimble of wine?" That more accurately describes what typically happens in most congregations today. If we're asking about modern practice then the title cannot read, "Is water baptism required before a person can receive a Passover meal or the meal of the Lord's supper?" because very few congregations have Eucharist/Communion as a full meal and congregational fellowship. And, of course, the classic dissent is, "No, because otherwise the thief on the cross would never have been able to receive the Eucharist," but if he hadn't been dying while hanging there on a cross, he could have been baptized 😅.

My point is that the op is couched in post-canonical source that reflects aspects of the institutionalization Christianity that didn't exist at an early date in the NT era.

In mt church yes

1Cor 11:27-30 . .Whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an
unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. A
man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup.
For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and
drinks judgment on himself. That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a
number of you have fallen asleep.

The Greek word for "unworthy" basically means: irreverently; which Webster's
defines as: lacking proper respect or seriousness. In other words "sacrilege" which
is gross irreverence toward a hallowed person, place, or thing.

"sinning against the body and blood of the Lord" is very similar language to 1Cor
6:18, which states: The immoral man sins against his own body. There, as here,
we're not talking about suicide and/or homicide; were talking about desecration;
which Webster's defines as: to violate the sanctity of, to profane-- viz: to treat with
disrespect, i.e. irreverently and/or outrageously.

"A man ought to examine himself" is an imperative to make double sure that one's
heart is in the right place when consuming the elements (a.k.a. species). Some
people gulp them down as if they were nothing more than a snack of hot wings and
cold beer during a Super Bowl game instead of a sacred reminder of what God's son
endured to ransom their souls from a second death in the lake of brimstone
depicted at Rev 20:11-15. Those people have to expect that a very indignant father
is going to come down on them for that-- maybe not with sickness, maybe not with
death, and maybe not right away; but eventually with something; and really, who
can blame Him?

NOTE: Frequency is flexible; so if somebody is a bit nervous about going about it in
the wrong way, then I suggest not taking chances, instead: they should hold off until
they know what they're doing.
_

Last edited:

Didache:

Do you read any letters telling people baptism is no longer expected of them?

That’s what I hear only from people who make up their rules. Mostly from Pentecostals who changed the meaning of baptism in Roman 6 to mean baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Eph 4:4-5 . .There is one baptism

Select the one:

A) Natural baptism by the hand of man

B) Supernatural baptism by the hand of God.
_

Eph 4:4-5 . .There is one baptism

Select the one:

A) Natural baptism by the hand of man

B) Supernatural baptism by the hand of God.
_
Yes B

There is nothing we an do outwardly temporal that would count for inward spiritual eternal .

1 Corinthians 2:13-14Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

The water baptism is used on a volunteer bases as a sign to the unbelieving world. a member decide to be part of the priesthood of believers.

Aarons two sons ignored the ceremonial law as a shadow of good things to come "not to add there personal touch .I did it, it proves".
They did it, it proved God to be true .There bodies were consumed in judgment .

False pride is not a key to the salvation gates

Back