• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

Early Church fathers on Tradition.

Carbon

Admin
Reaction score
Faith
Reformed
Country
USA
Marital status
Married
Politics
Conservative
Irenaeus (140-202 A.D.)
We have learned from none others the plan of our salvation, than from those through whom the gospel has come down to us, which they did at one time proclaim in public, and at a later period, by the will of God, handed down to us in the Scriptures, to be the ground and pillar of our faith.

Since, therefore, the tradition from the apostles does thus exist in the church and is permanent among us, let us revert to the scriptural proof furnished by those apostles who did also write the Gospel, in which they recorded the doctrine regarding God.

Traditions must be backed by scripture.

Consider, Tertulliam (155 / 160-240 / 250 A.D.)

Let them, then, prove to us that those angels derived their flesh from the stars. If they do not prove it because it is not written, neither will the flesh of Christ get its origin therefrom, for which they borrow the precedent of the angels . . . But there is no evidence of this, because scripture says nothing.

The scriptures . . . indeed furnish us with our rule of faith.

On the whole, then, if that is evidently more true which is earlier, if that is earlier which is from the beginning if that is from the beginning which has the apostles for its authors, then it will certainly be quite as evident, that that comes down from the apostles, which has been kept as a sacred deposit in the churches of the apostles. Let us see what milk the Corinthians drank from Paul; to what rule of faith the Galatians were brought for correction; what the Philippians, the Thessalonians, the Ephesians read by it; what utterance also the Romans give, so very near to the apostles . . . We have also St John's foster churches. For although Marcion rejects his Apocalypse, the order of the bishops (thereof), were traced up to their origin, will rest on John as their author . . .I say . . .that the gospel of Luke . . . has stood its ground from its very first publication . . .the same authority of the apostolic churches will afford evidence to the other gospels also, which we possess equally through their means, and according to their usage - I mean the gospels of John and Mathgew - whilst that which Mark published may be affirmed to be Peter's whose interpreter Mark was.

Last edited:
Hippolytus (d. 235 A.D.)

There is, brethren, one God, the knowledge of whom we gain from the Holy Scriptures, and from no other source. For just as a man if he wishes to be skilled in the wisdom of this world, will find himself unable to get at it in any other way than by mastering the dogmas of philosophers, so all of us who wish to practice piety will be unable to learn its practice from any other quarter that the oracles of God. Whatever things then the Holy Scriptures declare, at these let us look; and whatsoever things they teach these let us learn.

I have spoken with many RC's on many subjects, and I know they believe in sacred tradition. they claim the ECF's defended it also. However, if one looks into these things it's plain to see, they did not.

@donadams

What are your thoughts on this?

I have spoken with many RC's on many subjects, and I know they believe in sacred tradition. they claim the ECF's defended it also. However, if one looks into these things it's plain to see, they did not.

@donadams

What are your thoughts on this?
First please lets define tradition?

I'll start. I believe I have a good understanding since I was raised RC and spent a lot of time studying into the Church and it's doctrines.

The RCC teaches that there are two sources of divine revelation, the scriptures and the oral tradition. They teach it can be traced back to the apostles through the succession of the bishops of Rome.

I'll start. I believe I have a good understanding since I was raised RC and spent a lot of time studying into the Church and it's doctrines.

The RCC teaches that there are two sources of divine revelation, the scriptures and the oral tradition. They teach it can be traced back to the apostles through the succession of the bishops of Rome.
The RCC also does not simply claim the illumination of the Holy Spirit for its historic teaching but inspiration on a level equal to that of the Old and New Testaments.

Also, to the ECF's, the scriptures were the only source of revelation and the standard of authority or rule of faith.
tradition was viewed primarily as the oral presentation of scriptural truth. In every case, the foundation for all traditions was scripture. Never was it a separate revelation vis oral tradition.

Agustine wrote,
what more shall I teach you than what we read in the apostle? For Holy Scripture fixes the rule for our doctrine, lest we dare be wiser than we ought. Therefore I should not teach you anything else except to expound to you the words of the Teacher.

Hello @donadams ,

Hopefully my posts are acceptable to you as a definition.

Sure. Would you give your definition first?
Every word the apostles heard from the mouth of christ!

Some apostles wrote some of these truths in scripture

Scripture does contain all truths of christ but establishes christ and is the witness acts 1:8 or testimony of the church about christ!

Scripture does not authorize:

The copying of scripture!
(New Testament)

The translations of scripture!

Any digital scripture!

Any concordances or Bible search engines!

Christ established a church to teach and sanctify all men unto eternal salvation! Matt 28:19

Thks

Not according to scripture
2 thes 2:15

2 Thessalonians 2:15
Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.
Who was Paul writing to? The people in Thessalonica. In the early days of the church of the first century. How was the gospel being spread and how were the churches being built? By word of mouth and letter. There was no NT Bible. So by word, he meant direct contact with those speaking.

That means that the word he is referring to is the word that was spoken in the times in which the epistles were also written. We only have access to the epistles, as was God's intention, that we might have the same teaching as they had. The traditions of Christ's church (not the RCC) are bound by those we have in our Bibles. Anything else is adding to the Scriptures.

Who was Paul writing to? The people in Thessalonica. In the early days of the church of the first century. How was the gospel being spread and how were the churches being built? By word of mouth and letter. There was no NT Bible. So by word, he meant direct contact with those speaking.

That means that the word he is referring to is the word that was spoken in the times in which the epistles were also written. We only have access to the epistles, as was God's intention, that we might have the same teaching as they had. The traditions of Christ's church (not the RCC) are bound by those we have in our Bibles. Anything else is adding to the Scriptures.
Show me a camp meeting or Sunday school or altar call or 1st sunday communion service in the New Testament?

Every word the apostles heard from the mouth of christ!

Some apostles wrote some of these truths in scripture

Scripture does contain all truths of christ but establishes christ and is the witness acts 1:8 or testimony of the church about christ!

Scripture does not authorize:

The copying of scripture!
(New Testament)

The translations of scripture!

Any digital scripture!

Any concordances or Bible search engines!

Christ established a church to teach and sanctify all men unto eternal salvation! Matt 28:19

Thks

Hi Don,

Christ by a work of his miraculous faith or labor of His love prophesied . "Let there be" as the law of Christ's faith and the testimony seen the bride "was God alone good ".

God who is of mind mind and always does wahtscver his souls desies (Job9) is not moved from earth Rome. by dying hands of mankind

God is still not a man .

His law as it is writen with his finger destroyed the law of the fathers (Kings and queen) earthly government . . I heard it through the fathers grape vine oral traditons of dying mankind ..

They tried to murder Paul a former worshiper or one venerated of dying mankind. . .calling sola scriptura (all thing writen by the finger of God ) the heresy so they could keep I heard it through the fathers (patron saints) grape vine .They walked away powerless no faith as it is written that could please our invisible head our Holy Father.

Same Holy Father that infallibly, lovingly commands us to call no man (dying mankind ) Holy Father ,Holy See. Our vicar, Christ Prince apostle, Pope E.T.C.as a daysman from Rome

Acts 24:13-14 Neither can they prove the things whereof they now accuse me. But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:

Not a legion of fathers (patron saints) . . his and hers gods in the likeness of men One Father one manner (faith the unsen eternal

Back