• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

When does human life (soul) begin in the womb?

TonyChanYT

Sophomore
Reaction score
When does human soul life begin?

American Standard Version, Genesis 2:

7 And Jehovah God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
I think the breath of life entered Adam's sphenoid sinus and was stationed there. Accordingly, when a fetus receives a (detached) breath from God at its sphenoid sinus, it becomes a living soul.

By fetus, I mean a human organism with its own distinct DNA from its mother.

Job 33:

4 The Spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life
i.e., soul life.

Psalm 139:

13 For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. 14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul [H5315 nephesh] knows it very well.
The soul is aware.

Ensoulment:

In the time of Aristotle, it was widely believed that the human soul entered the forming body at 40 days (male embryos) or 90 days (female embryos), and quickening was an indication of the presence of a soul. Other religious views are that ensoulment happens at the moment of conception; or when the child takes the first breath after being born;[1][2] at the formation of the nervous system and brain; at the first detectable sign of brain activity; or when the fetus is able to survive independently of the uterus (viability).[3]
When does consciousness begin?

According to this Scientific American article:

Consciousness requires a sophisticated network of highly interconnected components, nerve cells. Its physical substrate, the thalamo-cortical complex that provides consciousness with its highly elaborate content, begins to be in place between the 24th and 28th week of gestation.
Elizabeth was pregnant for about 25 weeks in Luke 1:

41 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.
Wiki:

Some early Christians believed that the embryo did not have a soul from conception,[11][18][19][20] and consequently, opinion was divided as to whether or not early abortion was murder or ethically equivalent to murder.[13][17]
When does the human soul begin?

Ezekiel 37:

6 I will lay sinews upon you, and will cause flesh to come upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you,
i.e., sphenoid sinus

and you shall live, and you shall know that I am the LORD.”
The soul begins after the sphenoid sinus has been formed. The brain houses the human soul software. Frontal brain activities are good indications of when soul life begins.

If we don't know whether a fetus has soul life, is it okay to abort it?

Better to play it safe. Didache believed that abortion was murder.

See also

Back