• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

What Is So Amazing About Saving Grace?

Arial

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Christian/Reformed
Country
US
Politics
conservative
"I once was lost, but now am found.
Was blind but now I see.

So goes the hymn by John Newton. I suppose we all know the history of this man as a slave trader, living a lifestyle of iniquity. There came a time when he was so convicted of sin that it nearly broke him and also brought him unimaginable joy and worship and gratitude as seen in his writing of this hymn.

To sidetrack for a moment into Reformed theology, though it is relevant to the OP but not the subject of it, there is something to notice about it. Although I do not know if Newton was A'ist or C'ist, the specific words used express the core of what is so amazing about saving grace. When he was lost, he did not know he was lost. He only knew that after he had been found. He did not know he was blind until he could see. Otherwise he would have already been found and already seeing.

And the words do not say he found or he made himself able to see. They say he was found. And they say he was able to see, just as surely as Jesus touched and opened the eyes of the physically blind in the Gospels. Something happened to him and it had to be done by something outside of and greater than himself. That would be what we see in John 3. A new birth, born of God, born in Christ. Newton repented because he had been reborn. He did not become reborn because he repented.

Which brings me to what is so amazing about saving grace. "By grace you have been saved, through faith."

Grace is a word we know the meaning of. Unmerited, undeserved, favor. But is it far more than its mere definition? And should we come to the place of seeing this and it cause us to fall to our knees everytime we glimpse it, overflowing with unspeakable gratitude? Let's take a look. And I must say here, though I know I will get kick back and disagreement from those who believe that repentance comes first before the new birth, and that it is the individual who makes a choice to be saved; saving grace can never be grasped beyond its definition unless a person knows that salvation is all of God, that it comes about by Him through His giving us a new birth that changes our hearts.

By grace we have been saved.

All people are held captive by this fallen world, our flesh, (sinful desires) and the devil. (Eph 2:1-3) This is followed in verses 4-7 with the antidote to this condition, in the declaration of the rescue and the Rescuer. But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ--by grace you have been saved---and raised us up with Him and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus.

What did the very eternal Son of God who is God in the Trinity, do in order to rescue us from this darkness? He stepped down from this state of perfection and glory and became flesh like us. He came into the world of darkness that we live in, bringing light with Him. He came into our world where the influence of the devil is everywhere and against all people, just as he was against Christ. In the midst of this He remained obedient and faithful to the Father for the sole purpose of saving a people from their sins and sins penalty of death and facing the wrath of God in just judgment. God was under no obligation to do this for anyone.

Jesus went to His death on the cross, knowing all His earthly life that that was His destination. But He had a mission, a war to win, and He did not shrink back. He suffered and went boldly into the very maw of death, the very stronghold of satan, to conquer it and him. And conquer He did, both the power of sin to condemn those He purchased with His own life and shed blood, snatching them out of the kingdom of darkness, bringing them into His kingdom. He had no sin of His own but He went into the gnashing teeth of death carrying with Him the sins of those who would believe. But death could not hold a righteous man, and He rose from the grave and clothes His people with His robes of righteousness.

When we consider these things, and know that we are saved by grace, grace is more than simple unmerited favor. Grace towards us comes at a great price to the Savior. And when we look back to the beginning of the OP to this grace being bestowed on us for salvation as being poured out in the new birth, we something we maybe never saw before about grace and what grace is. This new birth that God gives, from our perspective is a miracle---or we certainly should see it that way, for it defies anything of the natural, no less so that our Savior being born of a virgin, the Holy Spirit His father, or Jesus rising from the dead. Do not the scriptures tell us that it was the power of the Holy Spirit who does both those things?

But our rebirth is not a miracle to God. It is grace pure and holy poured out, and overflowing.

Although I do not know if Newton was A'ist or C'ist..................

Hello @Arial, Newton was a Calvinist, just FYI. Here are a couple of his quotes.

Of all people who engage in controversy, we, who are called Calvinists, are most expressly bound by our own principles to the exercise of gentleness and moderation. . . . The Scriptural maximum, that “The wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God,” is verified by daily observation. If our zeal is embittered by expressions of anger, invective, or scorn, we may think we are doing service to the cause of truth, when in reality we shall only bring it into discredit (The Works of the Rev. John Newton, Vol. 1, p. 271).
William Jay recounts how Newton described the place of his Calvinism. He was having tea one day with Newton.
Newton said, “‘I am more of a Calvinist than anything else; but I use my Calvinism in my writings and my preaching as I use this sugar’—taking a lump, and putting it into his tea-cup, and stirring it, adding, ‘I do not give it alone, and whole; but mixed and diluted.’”
In other words, his Calvinism permeates all that he writes and teaches and serves to sweeten everything. ~Andrew Groves

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf

1695008959653.png

When we consider these things, and know that we are saved by grace, grace is more than simple unmerited favor. Grace towards us comes at a great price to the Savior.
Hello again Arial, that's very true, grace is hardly "unmerited", rather, it's simply "unmerited" (in any way) by us.

This new birth that God gives, from our perspective is a miracle---or we certainly should see it that way......
It is a miracle indeed, one into which even the holy angels long to look .. 1 Peter 1:12.

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf

John Newton - not the man I used to be.jpg

Hello again Arial, that's very true, grace is hardly "unmerited", rather, it's simply "unmerited" (in any way) by us.

It is a miracle indeed, one into which even the holy angels long to look .. 1 Peter 1:12.

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf

Amen . grace is the reward of Christ.s labor of love called a work of His faith . Let there be and it was God good

Where does say you posses “salvation”?

We recive the end of our new born again faith the power of God onto the salvation of our soul from the beginning of the hearing of Christ's faith a labor of love he works in us

No reason to imagine Some Queen of heaven entity received the fullness of grace the complete cost of salvation and the rest of the world a unknown remnant of grce teaching mankind does not die and they can continue after there last breath of oxygen to suffer wonder forever and ever in Limbo for the Young sinners an purgatory for the more adult sinners.

the old testament saint by the spirit of Christ's faith looked ahead at the sufferings beforehand and the glory that followed the cross by the same mutual spirit of faith as it is written we can look back to the cross

2 Corinthians 4:13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;

Not the spirit of Peter (I forbid you God Mathew 16), not of Mary or the Pope . .dying mankind

1Peter 1 9-12 Receiving the end of your faith, (Christ in us) even the salvation of your souls.(Not a remnant unknown for all save some imaginary queen mother entity) Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace (fullness) that should come unto you:Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.
Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

We can look back by the spirt of Chrsit faith they loked ahaed by the same one Holy S[irt

Hello Don, here are a few examples with various things to say about this (take special note below of John 5:24 and all that the Lord Jesus taught us there (with such an economy of words), wanting, it seems, to make sure that all that He meant for us to know could not be misunderstood).

John 3
18 “He who believes in Him ~is not judged~; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.”
John 5
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, ~HAS~ eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.”
John 6
37 “~All~ that the Father gives Me ~will~ come to Me and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out.
38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.
39 This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of ~all~ that He has given Me ~I LOSE NOTHING~, but raise it up on the last day.”
John 10
27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;
28 and I ~give~ eternal life to them, and they will ~never~ perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.”
Romans 8
1 Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
1 John 5
11 The testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.
12 He who ~has~ the Son ~has~ the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life.
13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may ~know~ that you have eternal life.

So, we come into "possession" of ~eternal~ life from the very moment that we first believe, and it is all of these, and these alone (present possessors of eternal life on this side of the grave, that is) who are preserved in the faith by God .. 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24, and who, thereby, both persevere and die in the faith as well.

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - it's been awhile, and I know that I need to get back to a couple of our conversations which I left unfinished (sorry about that), so I will try to do so as soon as I can.

We recive the end of our new born again faith the power of God onto the salvation of our soul from the beginning of the hearing of Christ's faith a labor of love he works in us

No reason to imagine Some Queen of heaven entity received the fullness of grace the complete cost of salvation and the rest of the world a unknown remnant of grce teaching mankind does not die and they can continue after there last breath of oxygen to suffer wonder forever and ever in Limbo for the Young sinners an purgatory for the more adult sinners.

the old testament saint by the spirit of Christ's faith looked ahead at the sufferings beforehand and the glory that followed the cross by the same mutual spirit of faith as it is written we can look back to the cross

2 Corinthians 4:13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;

Not the spirit of Peter (I forbid you God Mathew 16), not of Mary or the Pope . .dying mankind

1Peter 1 9-12 Receiving the end of your faith, (Christ in us) even the salvation of your souls.(Not a remnant unknown for all save some imaginary queen mother entity) Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace (fullness) that should come unto you:Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.
Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

We can look back by the spirt of Chrsit faith they loked ahaed by the same one Holy S[irt
no!

Romans 13:11
And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

The end of your faith not the beginning

Mk 13:13 Matt 24:13

Hello Don, here are a few examples with various things to say about this (take special note below of John 5:24 and all that the Lord Jesus taught us there (with such an economy of words), wanting, it seems, to make sure that all that He meant for us to know could not be misunderstood).

John 3
18 “He who believes in Him ~is not judged~; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.”
John 5
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, ~HAS~ eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.”
John 6
37 “~All~ that the Father gives Me ~will~ come to Me and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out.
38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.
39 This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of ~all~ that He has given Me ~I LOSE NOTHING~, but raise it up on the last day.”
John 10
27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;
28 and I ~give~ eternal life to them, and they will ~never~ perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.”
Romans 8
1 Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
1 John 5
11 The testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.
12 He who ~has~ the Son ~has~ the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life.
13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may ~know~ that you have eternal life.

So, we come into "possession" of ~eternal~ life from the very moment that we first believe, and it is all of these, and these alone (present possessors of eternal life on this side of the grave, that is) who are preserved in the faith by God .. 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24, and who, thereby, both persevere and die in the faith as well.

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - it's been awhile, and I know that I need to get back to a couple of our conversations which I left unfinished (sorry about that), so I will try to do so as soon as I can.
And a few more Mk 16:16
Mk 13:13
Matt 24:13

Jn 5:24 why assume “eternal life” is the same as “eternal salvation”?

Grace is the life of God that we share in, Jn 1:16:17 Jn 14:6
Jn 10:10

Not eternal salvation!

Or that you will persevere to the end in the grace of God and not lose it? Gal 5:4 1 Tim 1:19

(So, we come into "possession" of ~eternal~ life from the very moment that we first believe)

Me thinks not!

Romans 13:11
And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

Thanks

Any subject anytime, it all good

"I once was lost, but now am found.
Was blind but now I see.

So goes the hymn by John Newton. I suppose we all know the history of this man as a slave trader, living a lifestyle of iniquity. There came a time when he was so convicted of sin that it nearly broke him and also brought him unimaginable joy and worship and gratitude as seen in his writing of this hymn.

To sidetrack for a moment into Reformed theology, though it is relevant to the OP but not the subject of it, there is something to notice about it. Although I do not know if Newton was A'ist or C'ist, the specific words used express the core of what is so amazing about saving grace. When he was lost, he did not know he was lost. He only knew that after he had been found. He did not know he was blind until he could see. Otherwise he would have already been found and already seeing.

And the words do not say he found or he made himself able to see. They say he was found. And they say he was able to see, just as surely as Jesus touched and opened the eyes of the physically blind in the Gospels. Something happened to him and it had to be done by something outside of and greater than himself. That would be what we see in John 3. A new birth, born of God, born in Christ. Newton repented because he had been reborn. He did not become reborn because he repented.

Which brings me to what is so amazing about saving grace. "By grace you have been saved, through faith."

Grace is a word we know the meaning of. Unmerited, undeserved, favor. But is it far more than its mere definition? And should we come to the place of seeing this and it cause us to fall to our knees everytime we glimpse it, overflowing with unspeakable gratitude? Let's take a look. And I must say here, though I know I will get kick back and disagreement from those who believe that repentance comes first before the new birth, and that it is the individual who makes a choice to be saved; saving grace can never be grasped beyond its definition unless a person knows that salvation is all of God, that it comes about by Him through His giving us a new birth that changes our hearts.

By grace we have been saved.

All people are held captive by this fallen world, our flesh, (sinful desires) and the devil. (Eph 2:1-3) This is followed in verses 4-7 with the antidote to this condition, in the declaration of the rescue and the Rescuer. But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ--by grace you have been saved---and raised us up with Him and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus.

What did the very eternal Son of God who is God in the Trinity, do in order to rescue us from this darkness? He stepped down from this state of perfection and glory and became flesh like us. He came into the world of darkness that we live in, bringing light with Him. He came into our world where the influence of the devil is everywhere and against all people, just as he was against Christ. In the midst of this He remained obedient and faithful to the Father for the sole purpose of saving a people from their sins and sins penalty of death and facing the wrath of God in just judgment. God was under no obligation to do this for anyone.

Jesus went to His death on the cross, knowing all His earthly life that that was His destination. But He had a mission, a war to win, and He did not shrink back. He suffered and went boldly into the very maw of death, the very stronghold of satan, to conquer it and him. And conquer He did, both the power of sin to condemn those He purchased with His own life and shed blood, snatching them out of the kingdom of darkness, bringing them into His kingdom. He had no sin of His own but He went into the gnashing teeth of death carrying with Him the sins of those who would believe. But death could not hold a righteous man, and He rose from the grave and clothes His people with His robes of righteousness.

When we consider these things, and know that we are saved by grace, grace is more than simple unmerited favor. Grace towards us comes at a great price to the Savior. And when we look back to the beginning of the OP to this grace being bestowed on us for salvation as being poured out in the new birth, we something we maybe never saw before about grace and what grace is. This new birth that God gives, from our perspective is a miracle---or we certainly should see it that way, for it defies anything of the natural, no less so that our Savior being born of a virgin, the Holy Spirit His father, or Jesus rising from the dead. Do not the scriptures tell us that it was the power of the Holy Spirit who does both those things?

But our rebirth is not a miracle to God. It is grace pure and holy poured out, and overflowing.
And for no other reason than that, He loves us even in our filth and mess.

Back