• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

The Patch and Wineskins

Carbon

Courage, dear heart.
Reaction score
Faith
Reformed
Country
USA
Marital status
Married
Politics
Conservative
21 No one sews a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment. If he does, the patch tears away from it, the new from the old, and a worse tear is made. 22 And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the wine will burst the skins—and the wine is destroyed, and so are the skins. But new wine is for fresh wineskins.” Mark 2:21-22

Whats the meaning of this parable and how does it apply to us today?

21 No one sews a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment. If he does, the patch tears away from it, the new from the old, and a worse tear is made. 22 And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the wine will burst the skins—and the wine is destroyed, and so are the skins. But new wine is for fresh wineskins.” Mark 2:21-22

I think old wine skins have become hardened and thus would spoil the new wine.

As to today, (not that I like taking what is said to Israel as to the Body of Christ). However, just as a saying by itself I would say today that what Christ is doing in His Body cannot be contained in the old format of lecture type meetings. This is where one person stands up and gives a sermon regularly while the audience just sit and listen. This is not a good format to use frequently.

The Lord is freeing His Body from the constraints of the old order and drawing them into a closer walk with Himself and other believers in all sorts of daily activities.

This parable explains that the “old” does not accept the ”new” very well.

The context of the passage is that both the disciples of John and the Pharisees were following traditions of fasting (far more often than the one day required in Leviticus 23:27), and they wondered why Jesus and His disciples were not. Perhaps they thought that if they did more than was required, God would notice and be pleased; but they had actually burdened themselves and others with man-made rituals in order to draw attention to their own piety. They had become like old, worn out garments and dried up wineskins.

Jesus answered this way: “Can the friends of the bridegroom fast while the bridegroom is with them? As long as they have the bridegroom with them they cannot fast. But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast in those days.”(Mark 2:19-20) Jesus was announcing not only the importance of His presence among them, but also the sad truth (for them) that He would be taken away. To His own people, Jesus was like a new piece of cloth sewn onto an old garment or new wine poured into an old, dried wineskin. They could not accept His new ways, and He was about to cause the temple veil to be torn from top to bottom. God would never again dwell within a temple made by man after that day. Then would come the time to fast and mourn.

This parable is especially significant for us today because while the Pharisees were both puzzled and angered, we can actually understand it.
In Christ, our “old self” is destroyed to make room for the new, and it’s not always an easy process. We are broken to be made new, like the fresh wineskins. We also need to be sure that we don’t allow ourselves to be overtaken by the old, worn traditions of men; but rather keep ourselves refreshed daily in the Word.

Could it be referring to our new bodies which we will receive in the new heaven and then you are? Both spirit and body incorruptible. Putting a corrupt spirit in a new body will not work and putting a non-corruptible spirit in these old bodies will not work for these old bodies will sin and perish.

As far as today _ could it be referring to being Born Again of the spirit, yet in this fallen flesh it is like patchwork. For the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. And far to many times the flesh is given into and sin of some sort takes place.

Mar 1:1 presents a setting that opens the scene as “ The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God; “

Mark 1: goes on to describe John the Baptist who was the messenger who prepares the way before Jesus. John baptized in the wilderness, preached the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

John also preached, saying, There cometh one mightier than I after me, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose. ……. he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.

In mark 2: Jesus was being questioned specifically about John the Baptist and also about the Pharisees whom they, in the past, were known for fasting.

verse :15 explains that Jesus was sitting where people were eating food in a house with many publicans and sinners, also his disciples were there

In verse :18 Jesus is with people who are eating a meal, some of the people begin to then ask Jesus “” Why do the disciples of John and of the Pharisees fast, but thy disciples fast not ?

:19 And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber fast, while the bridegroom is with them? as long as they have the bridegroom with them, they cannot fast.

:20 But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then shall they fast in those days.
:21 No man also seweth a piece of new cloth on an old garment: else the new piece that filled it up taketh away from the old, and the rent is made worse.

:22 And no man putteth new wine into old bottles: else the new wine doth burst the bottles, and the wine is spilled, and the bottles will be marred: but new wine must be put into new bottles.

We know John came preaching and had began his ministry before Jesus had began his ministry ( first. _ John baptized and taught his disciples or followers around him that he was preaching about someone who would come in soon future, after him and that this person would baptize with the Spirit, Holy.

Could it be that Jesus was answering the question specifically about what he being asked, concerning John, in fasting - - and that Jesus was explaining that in his new ministry, his own purpose and his new message was to deliver a new part of God’s plan, to teach and nurture the people concerning things that he was purposed to bring to the world and that fasting at this specific time, while he was just beginning the teaching and revealing of his new message and ministry, it was not the time and his purpose to suddenly compel and call people to fasting.

and that fasting at this time would be like piecing in a new cloth onto an old garment - or putting new wine into old containers - it was time for a new beginning to treat and deal with the people he was teaching as new garments and new wineskins

I think this was actually what everyone was saying.

Jesus was giving the example how the new message about Kingdom of God is not compatible with the old Mosaic Law. In other words, the age of Grace is not compatible with works, as the law of Moses was.

It is a parable of the old and new covenants. One is passing away (when Jesus spoke) the new is coming in. They are completely different covenants. The one a covenant of works, the other a covenant of grace, or faith. He fulfills the old to make way for the new, and the two won't mix without doing damage.

Matthew 9:17
Neither do people pour new wine into old wineskins. If they do, the skins will burst; the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. No, they pour new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved.”

Mark 2:22
And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the wine will burst the skins, and both the wine and the wineskins will be ruined. No, they pour new wine into new wineskins.”

Luke 5:37
And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the new wine will burst the skins; the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined.

Luke 5:36-39
36 He told them this parable: “No one tears a piece out of a new garment to patch an old one. Otherwise, they will have torn the new garment, and the patch from the new will not match the old. 37 And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the new wine will burst the skins; the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. 38 No, new wine must be poured into new wineskins.

See here why you should listen to me.
(39 And no one after drinking old wine wants the new, for they say, ‘The old is better.’”)

Born Again
The "New Wineskin" is the "New Man," and the "New Wine" is the "New Covenant."

Ephesians 2:15
Having abolished in his flesh the hostility, of even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Luke 22:20
In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.

1 Corinthians 11:25
In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.”

We are the wine skin and the new wine is the new covenant. The old covenant of circumcision has been revoked. Patching up the old covenant invites disaster.

It’s a reference to the old and new covenants!

Similar in Jn 2 they saved the best for last!

I would paraphrase Mark 2 :20-24

Mark 2 :20-24 But the days will come, when the Christ bridegroom The Holy Spirit who works in His bride the church , The husband Christ shall be taken away from them, and then shall fast in those days. when Gods a famine for hearing the water of the word the gospel . . . .the voice of many waters . No man mixes the things a dried up body of death with new born again spirit life else the dried up spiritless body tears away from the new spirit and It made worse. And no man put new spirit life into dying dried up flesh else the new living spirit burst the dying flesh. But new wine as spirit life must be put into new incorruptible containers that will never dry up . And it came to pass, that he went through the corn fields used to represent flesh on the sabbath day; and his disciples began, as they went, to pluck the ears of corn. And the Pharisees said unto him, Behold, why do they on the sabbath day that which is not lawful?

It would seem To show them he is the object of rest . . .he revealed the fathers powerful labor of love to demonstrate the work of our inviable head, our husband, Christ.

Christ in effect saying; rest in my labor of Love (Corn and wine) .A new body housing a new spirit. Never to dry up ever again.

Genesis 27:37 And Isaac answered and said unto Esau, Behold, I have made him thy lord, and all his brethren have I given to him for servants; and with corn and wine have I sustained him: and what shall I do now unto thee, my son?

Back