• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

The birds came and devoured them

You really don’t understand this passage? Yet he has no root in himself?
I understand the passage quite well. I am just asking, How the unregenerate who cannot see, hear, receive or believe Gods word apparently can, as Jesus says, "hear the word and immediately receive it"?
Come on Jim, do you have a real question for your debate?
Was that a real question?
You’re very familiar, do I know you from another site?
I seriously doubt it. I have only been on one other site. I do not remember your ever being there. But I could be wrong.

I understand the passage quite well. I am just asking, How the unregenerate who cannot see, hear, receive or believe Gods word apparently can, as Jesus says, "hear the word and immediately receive it"?
so that
“‘they may indeed see but not perceive,
and may indeed hear but not understand,
lest they should turn and be forgiven.’” Mark 4.
I’m still wondering about yours. 🙂
I seriously doubt it. I have only been on one other site. I do not remember your ever being there. But I could be wrong.
Well …. Okay,
😎

so that
“‘they may indeed see but not perceive,
and may indeed hear but not understand,
lest they should turn and be forgiven.’” Mark 4.
That is not Jesus' explanation of the Parable. That is an explanation of why Jesus taught in parables.

That is not Jesus' explanation of the Parable. That is an explanation of why Jesus taught in parables.
Is that how you act when you can’t fight scripture?
Go back to your original question and put it all together. 😎

Is that a personal attack?
I hope your not attacking scripture?

If you’re referring to me, I only asked you a question. Why get personal? 😎

Jesus said of the rocky ground, "this is the one who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy, yet he has no root in himself, but endures for a while, and when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately he falls away" (Matt 13:20-21).

In your view which says that the unregenerate can't see, hear, receive or believe Gods word, what is Jesus saying here?
That the man had no root, was not regenerated.
The kingdom of God sounded like a good deal to him.
But that's all it was to him, a good deal.

Hear the WORD! Faith comes by hearing, God's truth, but not everyone receives it, right? How come?

Because the word of God is alive, and it regenerates the dead through the power of the Holy Spirit. Why it is that those seeds that fell among other paths withered away? What's the difference between the good soil and the others?

Look up Pelagianism and see if it sounds familiar to you.

I’ve been asked by some, why would the birds (devil) come and take the seeds (the gospel) away if these wont, or can’t believe anyway? I’m curious why Arminians would ask this question? Those who asked, would you clarify? What do you mean exactly?

“A sower went out to sow. And as he sowed, some seeds fell along the path, and the birds came and devoured them. Other seeds fell on rocky ground, where they did not have much soil, and immediately they sprang up, since they had no depth of soil, but when the sun rose they were scorched. And since they had no root, they withered away. Other seeds fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked them. Other seeds fell on good soil and produced grain, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty. He who has ears, let him hear.” Matthew 13.
Excellent post, and as far as the Arminian question, I would ask in return why does Jesus speak in parables in the first place. But to answer their question, God commands us to preach the Gospel to every living creature. We do not know who the sheep and goats are. God's sheep hear his voice and follow, whereas the goat may say they have faith, but when faced with worldly problems they get exposed of not having any faith. Like the parable states some seeds land on top of the ground, others on rocky ground, some fell among the path. Where the sun scorched them, or the birds came and ate them, others did not grow root. Basically these seeds fell among dead ground or soil. Where the good soil, a living soil that was good to plant seeds and bring forth plenty of grain, hundred-fold. This is by God's doing that this soil is good for planting.

But really drives these parables home is in the follow passages.
The Purpose of the Parables​

10 Then the disciples came and said to him, “Why do you speak to them in parables?” 11 And he answered them, “To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. 12 For to the one who has, more will be given, and he will have an abundance, but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. 13 This is why I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. 14 Indeed, in their case the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled that says:​

“‘“You will indeed hear but never understand,
and you will indeed see but never perceive.”
15 For this people’s heart has grown dull,
and with their ears they can barely hear,
and their eyes they have closed,
lest they should see with their eyes
and hear with their ears
and understand with their heart
and turn, and I would heal them.’

16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see, and your ears, for they hear. 17 For truly, I say to you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.

Hope this helps?​

Jesus came to confirm the promises to the Jews.

`Now I say that Jesus Christ has become a servant to the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made to the fathers,..` (Rom. 15: 8)

Matthew tells us about those promises that God gave to the Father. Jesus confirmed them to the people in parables. In Matthew 13 we read of the kingdom of heaven parables. The disciples asked Jesus why He spoke to the people in parables.

Jesus said, " Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear nor do understand.` (Matt. 13: 14)
This was a quote from Isaiah. And he said "Go, and tell this people: keep hearing, but do not understand; keep on seeing, but do not perceive." (Isa. 6: 9)

The first parable was of the seed and the sower, which you are referring to. Jesus tells His disciples that -

`When anyone hears the word of the kingdom, and does not understand it, then the wicked one comes and snatches it away etc ` (Matt. 13: 18 - 23

That `word` is the rulership that the prophet Daniel spoke about, the earthly kingdom rule of the God of Heaven, that He would set up His kingdom and it would not pass away.

`And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom which shall never be destroyed;...` (Dan. 2: 44)

The people had to receive the Word of the Kingdom by faith and obey.

That was a promise to Israel and God will fulfill it to them.
But why speak in parables?

The Purpose of the Parables

10 Then the disciples came and said to him, “Why do you speak to them in parables?” 11 And he answered them, “To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven [the Gospel], but to them it has not been given. 12 For to the one who has, more will be given, and he will have an abundance, but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. 13 This is why I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. 14 Indeed, in their case the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled that says:

“‘“You will indeed hear but never understand,
and you will indeed see but never perceive.”
15 For this people’s heart has grown dull,
and with their ears they can barely hear,
and their eyes they have closed,
lest they should see with their eyes
and hear with their ears
and understand with their heart
and turn, and I would heal them.’​

16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see, and your ears, for they hear. 17 For truly, I say to you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.

This explicitly states, though seeing they do not see; hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. This destroys any synergistic position that insist people can understand or can see or hear! The Word of God comes with power to heal his people and restores the blind to see, the deaf to hear, the darkened mind to understand. It is God who calls us out of the darkness into his marvelous light. Like a command to let there be light!​

Back