• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

Other usages of agape-love

TonyChanYT

Sophomore
Reaction score
Matthew 5:

44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
Strong's Greek: 25. ἀγαπάω (agapaó) — 143 Occurrences

Besides the above noble usage of G25-love, it had other usages.

BDAG ἀγαπάω:
① to have a warm regard for and interest in another, cherish, have affection for, love
ⓐ by human beings
ⓑ of the affection of transcendent beings
② to have high esteem for or satisfaction with someth., take pleasure in.

John 3:

19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.
Luke 11:

43 Woe to you Pharisees! For you love the best seat in the synagogues and greetings in the marketplaces.
2 Peter 2:

15 Forsaking the right way, they have gone astray. They have followed the way of Balaam, the son of Beor, who loved gain from wrongdoing,
Amnon agape-loved Tamar before he raped her.

There were many different Koine words for love. G25 was the generic expression for love.

"I love my dog" was written in Koine Greek as "ἀγαπῶ τὸν κύνα μου".

Agape love was not exclusively used for noble love. It had general usages for different kinds of common affections.

Back