• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Mormons and Noahs Flood...was it local or global?

CrowCross

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the Mormons believe about the flood of Noah...was it local or global?

From what I read the Mormons believe the flood purified the earth...what would seem to suggest a world wide flood. But, a world wide flood presents problems for the Mormons.

So my mormon friends...was the flood local or world wide?

It is my view that the flood was global or world wide and not limited to an area such as Mesopotamia or anywhere else on the planet.....But, I suspect the Mormons will have to say the flood was local.

I was wondering what the Mormons believe about the flood of Noah...was it local or global?

Based on the following the Mormons believe it was a global flood.

(4-15) Genesis 7:19. How Could the Flood Cover the Entire Earth, Including Mountains? What Was the Significance of This Immersion?​

“I would like to know by what known law the immersion of the globe could be accomplished. It is explained here in a few words: ‘The windows of heaven were opened’ that is, the waters that exist throughout the space surrounding the earth from whence come these clouds from which the rain descends. That was one cause. Another cause was ‘the fountains of the great deep were broken up’—that is something beyond the oceans, something outside of the seas, some reservoirs of which we have no knowledge, were made to contribute to this event, and the waters were let loose by the hand and by the power of God; for God said He would bring a flood upon the earth and He brought it, but He had to let loose the fountains of the great deep, and pour out the waters from there, and when the flood commenced to subside, we are told ‘that the fountains also of the deep and the windows of heaven were stopped, and the rain from heaven was restrained, and the waters returned from off the earth.’ Where did they go to? From whence they came. Now, I will show you something else on the back of that. Some people talk very philosophically about tidal waves coming along. But the question is—How could you get a tidal wave out of the Pacific ocean, say, to cover the Sierra Nevadas? But the Bible does not tell us it was a tidal wave. It simply tells that ‘all the high hills that were under the whole heaven were covered. Fifteen cubits upwards did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.’ That is, the earth was immersed. It was a period of baptism.” (John Taylor, in Journal of Discourses, 26:74–75.)

Orson Pratt declared:

“The first ordinance instituted for the cleansing of the earth, was that of immersion in water; it was buried in the liquid element, and all things sinful upon the face of the earth were washed away. As it came forth from the ocean floor, like the new-born child, it was innocent; it rose to newness of life. It was its second birth from the womb of mighty waters—a new world issuing from the ruins of the old, clothed with all the innocence of this first creation.” (In Smith, Answers to Gospel Questions, 4:20.)

“The earth, in its present condition and situation, is not a fit habitation for the sanctified; but it abides the law of its creation, has been baptized with water, will be baptized by fire and the Holy Ghost, and by-and-by will be prepared for the faithful to dwell upon” (Brigham Young, in Smith, Answers to Gospel Questions, 4:20).

Old Testament Student Manual Genesis-2 Samuel
Genesis 4–11: The Patriarchs (page 55)

Based on the following the Mormons believe it was a global flood.
I was doing some research and came to the same conclusion.

However, I don't think the mormons think there was much laying down of flood sediment and destruction from the flood across North America and the rest of the world.

Fred,​

According to Mormon material...they know where the Garden of Eden was....In Jackson County Missouri....
Also....in Spring Hill, Daviess County, Missouri the Mormons claim to have an alter build and used by Adam.

If the Mormons actually believe in a world wide flood they would teach the ground...rock strata... in those areas was deposited by Noahs flood ....and Adams alter if it was in that area would have been destroyed with the rest of the antediluvian world.

I wnder how Adams alter rocks made it up through all of the sediment to the surface......There's something fishy with the mormon account.

Fred,​

According to Mormon material...they know where the Garden of Eden was....In Jackson County Missouri....
Also....in Spring Hill, Daviess County, Missouri the Mormons claim to have an alter build and used by Adam.

If the Mormons actually believe in a world wide flood they would teach the ground...rock strata... in those areas was deposited by Noahs flood ....and Adams alter if it was in that area would have been destroyed with the rest of the antediluvian world.

I wnder how Adams alter rocks made it up through all of the sediment to the surface......There's something fishy with the mormon account.

So much of Mormonism is a maze.

Back