• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Middle of the road Pastors?

Musician

Freshman
Reaction score
Faith
Christianity
Country
USA
Marital status
Single
Politics
Conservative
I'm looking for a decent middle of the road Pastor that doesn't have extreme views that some have on either end of the spectrum. Not really looking to debate it, just looking for some names I can check out on youtube, facebook, or online elsewhere. Either Pastors, Evangelists or Church names in general, that have good messages with no politics or biased views.

I'm looking for a decent middle of the road Pastor that doesn't have extreme views that some have on either end of the spectrum. Not really looking to debate it, just looking for some names I can check out on youtube, facebook, or online elsewhere. Either Pastors, Evangelists or Church names in general, that have good messages with no politics or biased views.
What is "extreme" to you? Would you mind listing six views you think qualify as extreme?

He died a few years ago but I highly recommend R. C. Sproul. He was well respected by many, regardless of their differences and he eschewed political commentary and speculation.

What is "extreme" to you? Would you mind listing six views you think qualify as extreme?

He died a few years ago but I highly recommend R. C. Sproul. He was well respected by many, regardless of their differences and he eschewed political commentary and speculation.
I'll mention two Pastors I feel are extreme in their delivery, Otis Moss III and Greg Locke.

I'll mention two Pastors I feel are extreme in their delivery, Otis Moss III and Greg Locke.
Okay. Thanks. What is it about their "delivery" that is extreme? The former definitely takes liberties reading the Bible. When the op said "extreme views" I thought you were talking about something doctrinal or some sort of personal interpretation. I heard a preacher today claim end times events were going to start happening within the next 40 days. And then he went on to say both he believed this was from the Lord and it was just his opinion :unsure:.

This strikes me like, "I am looking for pastors who won't challenge me in either direction," and I am curious about why you wouldn't want your status quo challenged. Is there risk in being too comfortable?

P.S. There is no such thing as someone with no biased views. If you think someone has no bias, it's because you both have the same ones.

This strikes me like, "I am looking for pastors who won't challenge me in either direction," and I am curious about why you wouldn't want your status quo challenged. Is there risk in being too comfortable?

P.S. There is no such thing as someone with no biased views. If you think someone has no bias, it's because you both have the same ones.
I'm looking for Pastors that leave politics, political leanings, completely out of their services. People on this website are always quoting the Scriptures, but show me where the Scriptures get political? Some Pastors are flat-earthers, some are BLM activists, I don't want that, I want solid messages based on the Scriptures, not what you "think" the Scriptures mean.

I'm looking for Pastors that leave politics, political leanings, completely out of their services. People on this website are always quoting the Scriptures, but show me where the Scriptures get political? Some Pastors are flat-earthers, some are BLM activists, I don't want that, I want solid messages based on the Scriptures, not what you "think" the Scriptures mean.

Well, if you mean only that you want pastors who don't preach politics from the pulpit—that is, "extreme [political] views" and "biased [political] views"—then that changes the impression your request leaves. And so I would likewise recommend R. C. Sproul. His podcast Renewing Your Mind (from Ligonier Ministries) is deeply "biased" toward "extremely" biblical views but it never gets into politics.

While I am sympathetic to the disdain for politics from the pulpit, politics frequently occurs in the Bible. Every single mention of the divisions between the Sadducees and the Pharisees is about politics. Every mention of Herod, or Caesar, is an implicit mention of politics.

The problem is that no political side wholly represents a scriptural ethic well. For example, the left side of the political spectrum in America likes to emphasize the "true" religion God respects (Jm. 1:27), but the further left one goes, the more that standard is abused, and even where committed to earnestly in good faith and faithfulness, that standard is not the sole standard. It cannot be held in conflict with other scriptural standards. For example, the left in America tends to look for the government to solve of society's problems, and they do so at the expense of all other societal institutions. That's not scriptural. The left also likes to exclude the Church from the State, in spite of the fact the US Constitution makes no such standard. Conversely, the right side of the political spectrum is much more likely to make their errors on the side of legalism. Both sides claim to abide by "the rule of law," but Lex Rex was never intended to replace a monarch with another form of despotism. When the question is asked, "Do we need a new law to address X?" the politically-leaning right side of the spectrum should be, "Is there already a law that addresses the matter?" because if there is then there's no need to add more. That inconsistency happens quite often. We see it right now in the debate over the southern border. We do not actually need another law. We can and should enforce the current laws, so the Christian on the right side of the political spectrum is contradicting their own standards of Lex Rex and small government (both which are wholly scriptural) while the Christian on the left side of the political spectrum is contradicting his own standards of Lex Rex and divine sovereignty (the government is not to be our messiah). There are scores of examples; just pick a subject!

Even if we had a Senate filled with 100 Christians and a House filled with 435 Christians, 1) they would not agree on all matters and 2) they still would not be the salvation of society. Populating the legislature with Christians is not a solution and it might well foster problems. We know this from our own history because in the colonial days every colony had laws preventing non-Christians from participating.

So, we should be looking for pastors, elders, teachers, who teach biblical principles and then leave the parishioner to apply those principles as God and conscience lead. The principles and precepts of scripture do not change. Neither are they up for debate. Understood well, they rarely conflict. Misused or abused, they often conflict.

Lots of pastors don't get these things.

However, a Church leader is also a citizen and member of society so it should not be thought they can eschew all political discussion or live absent all political position. Healthy principles and boundaries should insulate both the pulpit and the congregant and empower both to serve God righteously.

As far as flat-earthers and BLMers go, those are both extreme examples; ones that are easily recognized and easily avoided. It is those in the healthy middle that are more challenging (but not impossible) to find.

Back