• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Methodist Communion Is Idolatry

The very word communion is about interaction between two parties, God and the believer. It is interpersonal, thus, “this is my body broken for you”, and “this is the blood of the new covenant poured out for you.”

There is new grace given, not necessarily salvific, (but that certainly cannot be ruled out as a possibility) yet encouraging grace, strengthening grace.
1 Corinthians 10:14 Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry. 15 I speak as to wise men; judge ye what I say. 16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

No interaction when you switch out the word "communion" with "symbolic" as communicating the symbolic meaning of the bread & the wine when doing this in remembrance of Him. There is no communication or interaction when doing this in remembrance of him in proclaiming the Lord's death. Surely when we take communion in proclaiming the Lord's death, it is not to the Lord whereby He would say, "I know that." So there is no interaction between two parties in that regard.

It is more like doing what He has commanded us to do and taking communion is "I remember what the Lord has done for me."
To say “do this in remembrance of me” does not say that that is the only thing that happens, especially in terms of what God may do when we remember.
There you go. You just provided a way for Catholics and Lutherans and not just Methodists to add to what this communion is about. If you take an inch, they take a mile.

Catholics say that if you only take communion in remembrance of Him only, it is anathema to them.
This doesn’t make any sense to me. How does communing with God negate my remembrance of what he did?

Doug
You are always communing with God since He is in you and with you always and so not doing this in remembrance of Him is akin to not listening to what He says to do. Seeking to commune with God in communion or by way of communion, is denying that constant communion with God.

It is making communion a work that denies Him when it cannot be anything else but a reminder of what He has done on the cross for us.

If the church was being persecuted and scattered and therefore on the run like for the duration of the great tribulation, saved believers do not need to have communion to initiate nor to assure that they are having a communion as if a necessary but assured interaction with God.

Jesus Christ cannot be replaced by communion or else communion becomes the antichrist instead. We interact with God the Father through Jesus Christ.

Catholics say that if you only take communion in remembrance of Him only, it is anathema to them.
And you say if you don’t take communion in remembrance of him only, it is anathema to you. You are two peas on the opposite ends of the pod! I’m not suggesting an either/or but a both/and scenario that is much closer to your perspective than the RCC and Lutheran stance.

I am only slightly, very slightly, left of your opinion and I am not your enemy, much less an idolator. Remembering what he has done for me is an act of worshipping him alone! His presence in me is active, which is by definition gracious, and we commune with each other; me in humble reverence to him, and he in compassionate Lordship over me.

Doug

And you say if you don’t take communion in remembrance of him only, it is anathema to you. You are two peas on the opposite ends of the pod! I’m not suggesting an either/or but a both/and scenario that is much closer to your perspective than the RCC and Lutheran stance.

I am only slightly, very slightly, left of your opinion and I am not your enemy, much less an idolator. Remembering what he has done for me is an act of worshipping him alone! His presence in me is active, which is by definition gracious, and we commune with each other; me in humble reverence to him, and he in compassionate Lordship over me.

Doug
Then ask Him why none of His disciples depicted communion in the manner which you described it as being.

Proverbs 30:5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. 6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

It is obvious to you that Luther did not do away with all things Catholicism and I am also saying as more Protestant churches break from Lutheran also, they are still carrying things over from them that can be seen as the same kind of talk found in Catholicism.

So why keep the things that were added to what the scripture testify communion is for, to do it in remembrance of Him?

If the communion was for more than in remembrance of Him, I would believe the Lord would have led with that.

So ask Jesus why none of the disciples depicted communion as you are depicting communion is for also as if doing it in remembrance of Him is not enough?

The way see communion is not of the bread, the wine, or the table. A long time ago before church closed, we had a hymn called "The family of God", sadly in the way I've remembered it, this was the real communion. We all got up hugged the women shook the men's hands and then walked out to our cars, in the 90s. Now every first Sunday of the month it's "we do all that" and no one interacts with each other, and this was all about 5 years before the China virus. Even though I don't see how anything is idiolic about the wine and bread other than just remembering the Lord Jesus. However, when God says, "We are all of his image" this should be why we commune with each other, and yes on first Sunday the Lord Christ.

Our church had disavowed itself from the general church because of liberalism in the main methodist churches, I come bearing this message of faith, "Religion is the key to faith but don't hold onto it; Faith once acquired will become an immutable treasure and is ours forever.

Religion can and will be stolen, it's a Building, it's a book, it's only created by and of man. Our faith is of the Holy Church, it's God's Holy Word, and all the passions He gives to those who thirst for them. Anyone with a mustard seed of faith, a righteous passion and need for God will taste His presence and want more of it...

Then ask Him why none of His disciples depicted communion in the manner which you described it as being.
The NT rendering of “communion” is typically represented as what some would call a “love feast” wherein the whole congregation would eat dinner. Personally, I often think of, ie, remember, Christ’s sacrifice when I’m eating my daily meals, whether with others or by myself. But the formal “in church” expression of communion is a more intentional event, focusing specifically on the death of Christ as its purpose. Without the presence of the Spirit of Christ and the movement of grace within us, it is nothing for than bread and juice/wine.

Doug

The way see communion is not of the bread, the wine, or the table. A long time ago before church closed, we had a hymn called "The family of God", sadly in the way I've remembered it, this was the real communion. We all got up hugged the women shook the men's hands and then walked out to our cars, in the 90s. Now every first Sunday of the month it's "we do all that" and no one interacts with each other, and this was all about 5 years before the China virus. Even though I don't see how anything is idiolic about the wine and bread other than just remembering the Lord Jesus. However, when God says, "We are all of his image" this should be why we commune with each other, and yes on first Sunday the Lord Christ.

Our church had disavowed itself from the general church because of liberalism in the main methodist churches, I come bearing this message of faith, "Religion is the key to faith but don't hold onto it; Faith once acquired will become an immutable treasure and is ours forever.

Religion can and will be stolen, it's a Building, it's a book, it's only created by and of man. Our faith is of the Holy Church, it's God's Holy Word, and all the passions He gives to those who thirst for them. Anyone with a mustard seed of faith, a righteous passion and need for God will taste His presence and want more of it...
John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

Jesus Christ is in us for why we should never hunger nor thirst for His Presence again les we deny Him as always being in us, thus opening ourselves to the spirits of the antichrist that may break through and seduce us to chase after them again to receive by signs and wonders..

Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

@TibiasDad & @Eleanor Do either of you concur?

The NT rendering of “communion” is typically represented as what some would call a “love feast” wherein the whole congregation would eat dinner. Personally, I often think of, ie, remember, Christ’s sacrifice when I’m eating my daily meals, whether with others or by myself. But the formal “in church” expression of communion is a more intentional event, focusing specifically on the death of Christ as its purpose. Without the presence of the Spirit of Christ and the movement of grace within us, it is nothing for than bread and juice/wine.

Doug
I am sharing my concern for you & the Methodists for the reasons why we should have our words in representing our faith in Jesus Christ as standing clear & apart from the works of Catholicism & Lutheran for how they take communion.

The Methodists may think they have pruned everything Catholic, just as the Lutherans do, but I see that they have not.

Even Presbyterian churches sometimes if not regularly begin their communion service with "We come into His Presence today.." which is not the truth since we are not walking away from Him after having communion.

Words needs to be dropped as Catholics attending the Presbyterian churches ( and there were a few that did attend ) will take communion in that mentality they are familiar with when receiving communion as believing His Presence being in them.

May the words of our mouths and the meditations of our hearts be made acceptable in His sight by His grace & by His help before all wayward men.

John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

Jesus Christ is in us for why we should never hunger nor thirst for His Presence again les we deny Him as always being in us, thus opening ourselves to the spirits of the antichrist that may break through and seduce us to chase after them again to receive by signs and wonders..

Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

@TibiasDad & @Eleanor Do either of you concur?
I do not concur that the NT Lord's Supper is about Jesus' presence any more than the OT sacrificial meal was about the sacrificed animal's presence.

I do not concur that the NT Lord's Supper is about Jesus' presence any more than the OT sacrificial meal was about the sacrificed animal's presence.
What do you concur about below?

What do you concur about below?

Remove what relates to his "presence," and I will review them.

Remove what relates to his "presence," and I will review them.
Then remove that kind of communion when they believe His Presence is in the bread and the wine.

When He is in us always since salvation at the calling of the gospel when we had first believed, there is no receiving Him again for anyone to hunger and thirst after.

I am sharing my concern for you & the Methodists for the reasons why we should have our words in representing our faith in Jesus Christ as standing clear & apart from the works of Catholicism & Lutheran for how they take communion.
Rom 14:4Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

5One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone. 8If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord. 9For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.

10You, then, why do you judge your brother or sister? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat. 11It is written:

“ ‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord,
‘every knee will bow before me;
every tongue will acknowledge God.’ ”
12So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.

The Methodists may think they have pruned everything Catholic, just as the Lutherans do, but I see that they have not.
I would suggest that there is no Protestant that is “pruned” of everything Catholic! Not everything Catholic is errant nor prunable if you remain true to the Faith. We disagree with many things with the RCC, but we need not throw the proverbial baby out with the bath water!

Doug

Back