• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Is eternal security…

donadams

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Is eternal security a reformed doctrine?

This

Essentially, yes. It arose from Calvinist soteriology of the 16th and 17th centuries, the so-called five points of Calvinism, specifically the Preservation of the Saints (the P of the acrostic TULIP). You can find it among certain Baptists and Mennonite Brethren, for example, but that's because their roots trace back to the Anabaptists of that Reformation period.

Is eternal security a reformed doctrine?

This
Do you mean, is it only a Reformed Doctrine? No —it is simply Bible. God will accomplish whatever he set out to do.

Hello Don (@donadams), along with the Bible and the Reformers, I believe that the ECF who wrote most extensively about eternal security was the Bishop of Hippo, Aurelius Augustin (e.g. A TREATISE ON THE GIFT OF PERSEVERANCE).

However, as @makesends just pointed out for us, it is, first and foremost, a clear Biblical doctrine, one that is taught throughout the Bible, especially in the NT, of course.

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf

Essentially, yes. It arose from Calvinist soteriology of the 16th and 17th centuries, the so-called five points of Calvinism, specifically the Preservation of the Saints (the P of the acrostic TULIP). You can find it among certain Baptists and Mennonite Brethren, for example, but that's because their roots trace back to the Anabaptists of that Reformation period.
Is this preservation automatic?

Do you mean, is it only a Reformed Doctrine? No —it is simply Bible. God will accomplish whatever he set out to do.
I mean do those who teach the so-called reformed doctrine believe and teach eternal security.

God is faithful, are we required to be faithful as well?

Hello Don (@donadams), along with the Bible and the Reformers, I believe that the ECF who wrote most extensively about eternal security was the Bishop of Hippo, Aurelius Augustin (e.g. A TREATISE ON THE GIFT OF PERSEVERANCE).

However, as @makesends just pointed out for us, it is, first and foremost, a clear Biblical doctrine, one that is taught throughout the Bible, especially in the NT, of course.

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf
Thanks

Are we required to be faithful?

To abide in Christ? Jn 15:4

Yo endure to the end? Mk 13:13 Matt 24:13

Is the gift of perseverance automatic for those accept Christ?

Augustine is one of our saints! Not a fundamentalist Protestant!

He says it is a gift but one that is included in the commandment “ask and you shall receive” and the Lord’s Prayer, and is needed daily so must be asked for this grace and gift daily, and therefore it’s not something God does for the believer automatically!

As it says: accept Christ as your personal lord and savior! Quote “there is nothing more you need to do”! As fundamentalist doctrine states.

Thks

I mean do those who teach the so-called reformed doctrine believe and teach eternal security.

God is faithful, are we required to be faithful as well?
Are you equating those two sentences? We are required to be faithful, but no, the elect is going to Heaven, faithful or not. Faithfulness is a result, and not a cause of (requirement for) salvation. It IS, however, a requirement for obedience. Eternal security is not OSAS, but that what God has set out to do, he will accomplish. Whom he chose, will be with him in Heaven.

Yes, the Reformed believe that what God has begun he will complete.

Are you equating those two sentences? We are required to be faithful, but no, the elect is going to Heaven, faithful or not. Faithfulness is a result, and not a cause of (requirement for) salvation. It IS, however, a requirement for obedience. Eternal security is not OSAS, but that what God has set out to do, he will accomplish. Whom he chose, will be with him in Heaven.

Please explain

judus

Acts 1:18 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

19 And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.

And

Galatians 5:4
Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

And

1 Corinthians 6:10
Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

And

Revelation 21:8
But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

And

Rev 2:13 …Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you…

How is that possible? It says Antipas was faithful!
So some could be unfaithful too!

Btw
(Antipas was ordained priest and consecrated bishop of Petgamo by the apostle John)

makesends said:

Please explain

judus

Acts 1:18 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

19 And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.

And

Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

And

Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

And

But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

And

Btw
(Antipas was ordained priest and consecrated bishop of Petgamo by the apostle John)
Where does that require explanation? Can you explain how those show what I assume you believe, that even the Elect (i.e. that some of those whom God has chosen for himself to be in Heaven with him) can, and some will, lose their salvation?

Please explain

judus

And

And

And

And

Btw
Does falling from grace mean a person must spent more time in Limbo?

Or is it grace the power of God to call us back to our first love (believe God by hearing God ) In that way we can do the first works acknowlging we worship or venerate our Holy Father alone . and call no man on earth Holy Father.

It would seem no limbo no grace

Sometimes Christians do foolish things deny the Father the hearing of his understand or hearing of faith (the unseen things of God . God that gives them His undersetting as of our invisible head

Galatians 3:1-5 King James Version3 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh(dying ) ? Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain. He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? (sola scriptura)

Revealtion 2: 3 And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted. Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.(beleive God not seen) Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works;(beleive God not seen) or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Serving venerating temporal men seen and not our invisible head our eternal Holy Father in heaven .Not earthly dying mankind

Does falling from grace mean a person must spent more time in Limbo?

Or is it grace the power of God to call us back to our first love (believe God by hearing God ) In that way we can do the first works acknowlging we worship or venerate our Holy Father alone . and call no man on earth Holy Father.

It would seem no limbo no grace

Sometimes Christians do foolish things deny the Father the hearing of his understand or hearing of faith (the unseen things of God . God that gives them His undersetting as of our invisible head

Galatians 3:1-5 King James Version3 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh(dying ) ? Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain. He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? (sola scriptura)

Revealtion 2: 3 And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted. Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.(beleive God not seen) Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works;(beleive God not seen) or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Serving venerating temporal men seen and not our invisible head our eternal Holy Father in heaven .Not earthly dying mankind
Falling from grace and having died in that state means perdition

Back