• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

God Is At Work In Us

You added a second commandment.
What are you calling the second commandment that Trinitarians are adding?

Here is what the second commandment in the OT Law. Ex 20:4 You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

Did Jesus add a commandment or remove one?

Look at the commandments again. He summarized them. One through four pertain to our relationship to God. Five through ten are dealing with our interpersonal relationships. And if we keep those pertaining to our relationship to God, we will be keeping the rest. Notice Jesus says the second is like unto the first. And if we are not keeping five through ten, we are not keeping one through four.

Trinitarians.
Ah... I see. Well then since Leviticus clearly commands everyone to love their neighbor, "we" did not add any new commandment.

I return you now to your regularly scheduled inanity and mayhem ;).

And, @ChristB4us, am I to understand the premise Jesus added a new commandment on this occasion is agreeable to, and confirmed by you?
Jesus switched out the greatest commandment under the Old Covenant about loving the Lord your God with all your heart, strength and mind, with a believing in Jesus Christ as the greatest commandment under the New Covenant.

Matthew 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

1 John 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

See, the emphasis under the Old Covenant was on the Jews to do this greatest commandment but because no matter how much the spirit is willing, the flesh is weak, therefore what is impossible with man, is possible with God and so under the New Covenant, believe in Jesus Christ to help us to love God and others is why the just shall live by faith in Jesus Christ as our Good shepherd & friend to help us to follow Him daily.

What are you calling the second commandment that Trinitarians are adding?
You are something else.

I was talking about the most important commandment.

And he added a second one.

You think you can get away with this kind of childish tactic.

Not when it comes to how the Spirit bears testimony of the Son through us in order to glorify the Son, is why there is no worshiping the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son as we are led by the Spirit to do what He has been sent to do and He does that through us.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: 27 And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

John 16:14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

What is the principle of the antichrist, but to lead us away from honoring the Son as in "instead of Christ"?

That is what the spirits of the antichrist does with its visitations of signs and lying wonders that they take that sharing of the Holy Spirit with the Father & Son in worship to steal its solely on them in seducing saved believers in chasing after them, thinking that is the Holy Spirit visiting them with signs ad lying wonders.

God will allow that strong delusion to occur because of that iniquity of not heeding His words that you can only come to the Father through the Son and you can only honor the Father through the Son Whom is the Holy Spirit testifying of to glorify thru us in leading us to do.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

John 10:1Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.
It is a work of iniquity to go around the Son in coming to God the Father by, yea even Jesus warned of false prophets broadening the way in an ecumenical format by that modified Nicene creed of 381 A.D. to not heed His words at all while they ad to His words.
Matthew 7:
13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

The consequence for not narrowing the way back to that straight gate in worship, prayer, and fellowship is being left behind at the rapture.

Luke 13:24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

25 When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are: 26 Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets. 27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.

28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out. 29 And they shall come from the east, and from the west, and from the north, and from the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God. 30 And, behold, there are last which shall be first, and there are first which shall be last.

So pray to the Lord Jesus Christ for wisdom for I know how hard it was for Him to get through to me because I could not fathom nor consider that my church was led astray that was leading me astray too.

Hope in Jesus Christ to help you be a disciple of Jesus Christ in following Him rather than a disciple of a church in following the crowd.
Jesus is Spirit and is God and has three titles, Father, Son and the son of man. Easy to understand God's roles of himself.

We have Jesus Christ in us too as the Holy Spirit serves as the Spirit of Christ, and so anything the Spirit does, He gives the credit & glory to Jesus Christ. So may the Lord help us not to focus on the Holy Spirit when the Holy Spirit wants us to focus on the Son, the Bridegroom, because there are spirits of the antichrist out there that would like to take believers' eyes off of the Son to themselves, misleading believers into thinking they are the Holy Spirit visiting in receiving with signs and lying wonders when He is the Comforter as dwelling in us always.

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. 15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:... 11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

1 John 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.... 8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Hebrews 12:1Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

God is Spirit and if Jesus is Spirit, then Jesus is God. There is no Spirit as other person! There is one person God who has many roles.

You are something else.

I was talking about the most important commandment.

And he added a second one.

You think you can get away with this kind of childish tactic.
Jesus didn't add anything.DId you read what I said? ANd stop with the personal insults! Is that why you are here? To insult people?

Jesus is Spirit and is God and has three titles, Father, Son and the son of man. Easy to understand God's roles of himself.
God is Three Persons in order for that One God to bear witness, to establish a testimony, even to establish a word in creation, as well as being able to judge anyone, since He cannot be a One Witness God but a Three witnesses within that One God.

As the Triune God commands of men in the Old & New testament, so does He do for why He is not a hypocrite.

Deuteronomy 17:6 At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; but at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death.

Deuteronomy 19:15 One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.

John 5:31 If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.

John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

13 The Pharisees therefore said unto him, Thou bearest record of thyself; thy record is not true.

14 Jesus answered and said unto them, Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true: for I know whence I came, and whither I go; but ye cannot tell whence I come, and whither I go. 15 Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man. 16 And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me. 17 It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true. 18 I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me.

This is why 1 John 5:7 regarding the Three Witnesses in Heaven was and is originally scripture. Take that out, then how can God the Father's singular witness in Heaven be greater than men's witness in the earth regarding His Son?

1 John 5:6 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.

7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.

At this link, it even provided sources dating far back as 200 A.D. citing 1 John 5:7 of the Three Witnesses in Heaven in debates back then as originally scripture as well. There are more sources listed at the link above as only a partial listing is being shown here below

200 ADTertullian wrote "which three are one" based on the verse in his Against Praxeas, chapter 25.
250 ADCyprian of Carthage, wrote, "And again, of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost it is written: "And the three are One" in his On The Lapsed, On the Novatians, (see note for Old Latin)
350 ADPriscillian referred to it [Corpus Scriptorum Ecclesiasticorum Latinorum, Academia Litterarum Vindobonensis, vol. xviii, p. 6.]
350 ADIdacius Clarus referred to it [Patrilogiae Cursus Completus, Series Latina by Migne, vol. 62, col. 359.]
350 ADAthanasius referred to it in his De Incarnatione
398 ADAurelius Augustine used it to defend Trinitarianism in De Trinitate against the heresy of Sabellianism
415 ADCouncil of Carthage appealed to 1 John 5:7 when debating the Arian belief (Arians didn't believe in the deity of Jesus Christ)
450-530 ADSeveral orthodox African writers quoted the verse when defending the doctrine of the Trinity against the gainsaying of the Vandals. These writers are:
A) Vigilius Tapensis in "Three Witnesses in Heaven"
B) Victor Vitensis in his Historia persecutionis [Corpus Scriptorum Ecclesiasticorum Latinorum, Academia Litterarum Vindobonensis, vol. vii, p. 60.]
C) Fulgentius in "The Three Heavenly Witnesses" [Patrilogiae Cursus Completus, Series Latina by Migne, vol. 65, col. 500.]

Jesus didn't add anything.DId you read what I said? ANd stop with the personal insults! Is that why you are here? To insult people?
Your shenanigan claims are your fruit, quoting all unrelated verses over and over.

Take a deep breath and read what you have written.

Jesus switched out the greatest commandment under the Old Covenant about loving the Lord your God with all your heart, strength and mind, with a believing in Jesus Christ as the greatest commandment under the New Covenant.

Matthew 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

1 John 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

See, the emphasis under the Old Covenant was on the Jews to do this greatest commandment but because no matter how much the spirit is willing, the flesh is weak, therefore what is impossible with man, is possible with God and so under the New Covenant, believe in Jesus Christ to help us to love God and others is why the just shall live by faith in Jesus Christ as our Good shepherd & friend to help us to follow Him daily.
No. There are numerous faults in the logic there.

• The post does not prove Jesus "switched" anything.
  • Neither Mt. 22:36 nor 1 Jn. 3:22 states Jesus switching belief in Jesus with loving God.
  • Loving God and believing in Jesus are not mutually exclusive conditions.
  • There are no discrete difference between Old and New when it comes to loving God.
  • There are no discrete difference between Old and New when it comes to believing in Jesus, the Messiah, the Son of God, especially when both old and new are read cohesively.
  • Neither Mt. 22:36 nor 1 Jn. 3:22 attribute anything to the weakness of the flesh or the indwelling of the Spirit. While you and I may understand the flesh merits nothing the expectation of Jesus - even for the Jews to whom he was speaking - was that they would love God and neighbors.
  • The impossibility to love God is no different for a Jew than the Christian. The only means by which any can do so is by the gifts of blood, Spirit, and faith.
  • When saying "the just shall live by faith" it is necessary to understand the first means of justification is the blood of Christ, not the faith of the (regenerate) believer. Synergists and monergists are going to part ways here because the more Pelagian end of the spectrum believes anyone can believe at any time - and that makes Post 23 very problematic because it necessarily means Jesus' audience could have simply believed, right then and there, and been instantly indwelt with the Spirit by which they could then love God and neighbor.
  • When saying "the just shall live by faith" it must also be recognized those words were written first to a covenant people (Eze. 18; Hab. 2) and later applied to Christians. There are no just or righteous people on their own. No one is righteous (Rom. 3:10), and if we say we have no sin, then we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. The KJV uses the word "just," but this is a bad translation. The word "dikaios" can mean justice, but it is a word used in Greek for divine righteousness or justice, not simple, mere obedience or compliance to a set of rules. It is ontological, not behavioral. Correctly understood, the clause, "the just shall live by faith" should be read and understood as, "those who've been given divine righteousness (a righteousness they do not themselves possess, those are the ones who live by faith." No one in the Bible was ever suggesting divine righteousness could be obtained by works of flesh.
  • The standards of the old covenant and those of the new are identical. Love fulfills the Law, and it fulfills all laws. Love is a law and against it there is no other law. The same applies to faith. Both are gifts and they do not exist mutually exclusive of one another. Throughout the New Testament every single author repeatedly quoted, cited, or otherwise referenced Tanakh, and did so with both Jewish and Gentile converts. In this regard there is no distinction between old covenant and new. What distinction do exists have nothing to do with the first and second greatest commands.

What I will affirm in Post 23 is that it is only those who have God at work in them who can and do fulfill the first and second greatest commandments. However, we do a very poor job of it so no pride should be taken. Even with the added power of God at work in us to obey His commands we'd all still be destined to the same end if it were not for the shed blood of Christ covering us.

Also, the incorrect premise Jesus (or the NT writers) added and changed things is not only false, it's also serving to take the discussion further afield of the op. Whether intended as such or not, it's ending up as bait. It's a red herring. Jesus did not change Law; he fulfilled it. The Jews had a misguided view of the Law, one that had occurred due centuries of gradual erosion, disobedience, and covenant-breaking. Nearly everything taught in the gospels can be found in Tanakh. What Jesus taught was not something new or different, but something restored. This supposed change Jesus didn't make has nothing to do with the op (which is fairly singular and simple in point).

Last edited:
Your shenanigan claims are your fruit, quoting all unrelated verses over and over.

Take a deep breath and read what you have written.
The ten commandments aren't related to the two that Jesus gave? That would mean He is doing what He said He wasn't doing. Matt 5:18 For Truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

No. There are numerous faults in the logic there.

• The post does not prove Jesus "switched" anything.
  • Neither Mt. 22:36 nor 1 Jn. 3:22 states Jesus switching belief in Jesus with loving God.
  • Loving God and believing in Jesus are not mutually exclusive conditions.
  • There are no discrete difference between Old and New when it comes to loving God.
  • There are no discrete difference between Old and New when it comes to believing in Jesus, the Messiah, the Son of God, especially when both old and new are read cohesively.
  • Neither Mt. 22:36 nor 1 Jn. 3:22 attribute anything to the weakness of the flesh or the indwelling of the Spirit. While you and I may understand the flesh merits nothing the expectation of Jesus - even for the Jews to whom he was speaking - was that they would love God and neighbors.
  • The impossibility to love God is no different for a Jew than the Christian. The only means by which any can do so is by the gifts of blood, Spirit, and faith.
  • When saying "the just shall live by faith" it is necessary to understand the first means of justification is the blood of Christ, not the faith of the (regenerate) believer. Synergists and monergists are going to part ways here because the more Pelagian end of the spectrum believes anyone can believe at any time - and that makes Post 23 very problematic because it necessarily means Jesus' audience could have simply believed, right then and there, and been instantly indwelt with the Spirit by which they could then love God and neighbor.
  • When saying "the just shall live by faith" it must also be recognized those words were written first to a covenant people (Eze. 18; Hab. 2) and later applied to Christians. There are no just or righteous people on their own. No one is righteous (Rom. 3:10), and if we say we have no sin, then we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. The KJV uses the word "just," but this is a bad translation. The word "dikaios" can mean justice, but it is a word used in Greek for divine righteousness or justice, not simple, mere obedience or compliance to a set of rules. It is ontological, not behavioral. Correctly understood, the clause, "the just shall live by faith" should be read and understood as, "those who've been given divine righteousness (a righteousness they do not themselves possess, those are the ones who live by faith." No one in the Bible was ever suggesting divine righteousness could be obtained by works of flesh.
  • The standards of the old covenant and those of the new are identical. Love fulfills the Law, and it fulfills all laws. Love is a law and against it there is no other law. The same applies to faith. Both are gifts and they do not exist mutually exclusive of one another. Throughout the New Testament every single author repeatedly quoted, cited, or otherwise referenced Tanakh, and did so with both Jewish and Gentile converts. In this regard there is no distinction between old covenant and new. What distinction do exists have nothing to do with the first and second greatest commands.

What I will affirm in Post 23 is that it is only those who have God at work in them who can and do fulfill the first and second greatest commandments. However, we do a very poor job of it so no pride should be taken. Even with the added power of God at work in us to obey His commands we'd all still be destined to the same end if it were not for the shed blood of Christ covering us.

Also, the incorrect premise Jesus (or the NT writers) added and changed things is not only false, it's also serving to take the discussion further afield of the op. Whether intended as such or not, it's ending up as bait. It's a red herring. Jesus did not change Law; he fulfilled it. The Jews had a misguided view of the Law, one that had occurred due centuries of gradual erosion, disobedience, and covenant-breaking. Nearly everything taught in the gospels can be found in Tanakh. What Jesus taught was not something new or different, but something restored. This supposed change Jesus didn't make has nothing to do with the op (which is fairly singular and simple in point).
Thank you for sharing but I disagree.

How is it that the Jews failed to keep the laws under the Old Covenant other than they were not able to love God with all their might and heart and mind?

Hence no matter how much the spirit is willing, the flesh is weak, therefore what is impossible with man, is possible with God for why I believe that first greatest commandment is switched out under the New Covenant to believe in Jesus Christ as it is by faith in Him in doing His work in us, is how we can love God and others, even our enemies, by Him.

Otherwise.... this verse below cannot be true.

1 John 4:19 We love him, because he first loved us.

So there is a vanishing of the things of the Old Covenant whereby the emphasis is no longer on us, but under the New Covenant, all He asks from us is to believe Him for all things since it is on better promises; His promises to us for why all He asks from us is to believe Him.

Hebrews 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.

10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Thank you for sharing but I disagree.

How is it that the Jews failed to keep the laws under the Old Covenant other than they were not able to love God with all their might and heart and mind?
Wrong question.

The Law was not there to keep. It was there to show them their sin. Obedience to the Law and loving God are not mutually exclusive conditions. One of the laws in the Law is to love. It was not that they were unable to love God with all heart, mind, etc. that kept them from keeping the Law that is summarized by love. That is a circular argument.

You may disagree but logic is not a matter of debate or opinion. Paul makes it quite clear no one can keep the Law, everyone is a sinner, none are wholly obedient, none are wholly faithful, and to break one law is to violate the whole. It has nothing to do with being Jewish.
Hence no matter how much the spirit is willing,
That is true of everyone, not just Jews.
...the flesh is weak, therefore what is impossible with man...
Now you're contradicting yourself. If it is impossible to keep the Law then the Jews did not fail; they did exactly what they could do: fail at the impossible.
.....is possible with God...
In case I have not been clear: I and everyone I've read so far acknowledges, and zealously embraces the work of God as necessary for us to be saved do what God expects. You keep belaboring this, but it's not a point in dispute. You and I do not disagree here and neither does anyone else. BUILD ON IT! Don't divide over that with which we agree.
...for why I believe that first greatest commandment is switched out under the New Covenant to believe in Jesus Christ as it is by faith in Him in doing His work in us, is how we can love God and others, even our enemies, by Him.
I'm curious. Do you find scripture to report any Old Testament person claiming God did not work in them and what they accomplished op-relevantly was done in their (sinful) flesh? I think I've missed that report. Could you maybe quote one or two examples in which scripture has an OT person doing so?

If there's no such scripture, then that is a red herring.

Not only is it a red herring, but if there is no such scripture then Jesus did not "switch" anything. When Jesus and Paul say, "Who has believed our message?" they're quoting Isaiah. They're not asking some new, something never asked before, something uniquely New Testament. Likewise, when Paul and the author of Hebrews write about the righteous living by faith, they are quoting Moses and Habakkuk (and others). They're not stating some new, something never asked before, something uniquely New Testament
Otherwise.... this verse below cannot be true.

1 John 4:19 We love him, because he first loved us.
Think. Think that through. Did Abraham love God on his own, or because God first loved him? How about David. Did David initiate his own love for God before God showed up to love David? Is it okay to take John's sentence and remove it from its specific stated context and apply to individuals, groups, conditions, and context not relevant to what he was writing?

Again: Logic is not a matter of debate or opinion.

The only change that occurred between Old and New was Calvary and Pentecost. All the NT conditions existed incompletely in OT times and righteousness and salvation were never obtained by the Law.
So there is a vanishing of the things of the Old Covenant whereby the emphasis is no longer on us, but under the New Covenant, all He asks from us is to believe Him for all things since it is on better promises; His promises to us for why all He asks from us is to believe Him.
I am really trying very hard to find points of agreement, note them, and affirm them but it's difficult. Yes, some things of the Old Testament (not the Old Covenant) vanished and, yes, there is an emphasis in the New Testament on faith/belief BUT salvation, righteousness, and justification were never by works of the Law. The Law itself makes this clear.

Tanakh is always correct. The Jews and Judaism were often incorrect. Failing to correctly discriminate between what Tanakh states as a whole, and how the Jews practiced what was stated leads to false equivalences and false dichotomies. Tanakh (what we call the Old Testament) contains most of what is found in the NT, including the emphasis on faith and the disdain for works and perfect by way of the Law. It is impossible to keep the Law apart from God being at work in the person to believe.
Hebrews 8:6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.

10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.
Which is exactly what I said: Calvary changed everything. The mediator of which the author of Hebrews wrote was an Old Testament mediator, a mediator first disclosed as a promise of the "old covenant." That mediator is not solely a mediator between God and man, but also a mediator between old covenant and new, Old Testament and New. Nothing got "switched."

It got fulfilled.

It's odd that an appeal using Hebrews would be made because Hebrews is rife with OT content, not exclusive of it. The appeal itself points to the continuity between old and new, even when Hebrews says things like, "the former is set aside," or "He has made the first obsolete." The author of Hebrews cannot constantly reference the OT, actively teaching it to his NT/NC audience and unilaterally mean everything he's doing is irrelevant, set aside, and obsolete. That makes scripture contradict itself inter-testamentally, intra-testamentally, and internally with Hebrews itself. When the author of Hebrews says he'll make a new covenant he implicitly states a common ground exists by explicitly stating the Law of God will be written internally. The old and new share the Law and, therefore, the new was not entirely abrogated.

The OT/OC contains commandments to love.
The OT/OC requires faith.
The OT/OC first spoke of righteousness by faith.
The OT/OC first spoke of the inadequacy and impossibility of keeping the Law.
The OT/OC reports many examples of God at work in his people.
The OT/OC/ foretells of a future mediator who would be perfect and through whom others might also be perfect(ed).

That list could be a little longer but the salient point is that all this stuff is found in the Old, so Jesus did not "switch" anything, especially not anything away from works of sinful flesh to God. It simply fulfilled or finished what had been foretold and the Jews mucked up. If we're going to speak of "switching" then Jesus did not switch the Testaments' contents. He switched what the Jews were erroneously teaching with what he, the logos of God that is God, had always taught. That is why our two-kingdoms and Judaizing brothers and sisters stumble over this. They think what the Jews taught is what Tanakh taught.

Tanakh is always correct. Judaism is often incorrect.

The only change that occurred between Old and New was Calvary and Pentecost. All the NT conditions existed incompletely in OT times and righteousness and salvation were never obtained by the Law.
Well, it was never obtained by the law but Jesus affirmed what the Old Covenant was for to that rich man and that was for obtaining salvation which the Jews were unable to do under the Old Covenant for why it is on God to do it under the New. Scripture source below.

Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Granted, the Old Testament saints were held in Abraham's bosom aka Paradise which was currently at that time beneath the earth for when Jesus was crucified and had descended to preach unto them in that "prison" that day where He met that thief on the cross at after His death.

Jesus confirmed the holding place for O.T. saints until His resurrection and His ascension for when He led the captivity captive for how and when paradise is now currently in Heaven with the O.T. saints as they await for the first-fruits of the resurrection to inherit their place in that City of God in Heaven at the pre great tribulation rapture event to sit down with N.T. disciples at the Marriage Supper table in Luke 13:24-30 KJV.

Luke 16:19-31 KJV Rich Man & the Beggar Lazarus

Last edited:
Well, it was never obtained by the law but Jesus affirmed what the Old Covenant was for to that rich man and that was for obtaining salvation which the Jews were unable to do under the Old Covenant for why it is on God to do it under the New. Scripture source below.

Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.
In the future, a plain, simply, immediate, direct, and unqualified, "Yes," is the best answer. There's no need to waste time, effort, or cyberspace when a simple affirmation and statement of agreement will suffice. It was always impossible for anyone - Jew or not - to perfectly obey the Law, God knew that and so did everyone else. Likewise, salvation, righteousness, and justification could never be obtained by fleshly obedience and while the Jews may never have correctly understood that, both God and Tanakh did.

The cogent reply is, "Yep."

Likewise, God worked in others in the OT, and He did so with soteriological purpose, and those in whom He worked acknowledged His doing so. That God works within was not something entirely new in the NT. Pentecost changed the nature and degree, not the existence.
Granted, the Old Testament saints were held in Abraham's bosom aka Paradise.........
That's a doctrinal statement, and not one with which I necessarily agree. You cannot say, "Granted...." implying we have agreement and then add stuff with which I might not agree. That's disingenuous. I'm not going to digress into a discussion on the nature and veracity of Abraham's bosom.
....which was currently at that time beneath the earth for when Jesus was crucified and had descended to preach unto them in that "prison" that day where He met that thief on the cross at after His death.
That is another doctrinal interpretation, and one built on pagan mythologies, not scripture. I reiterate: Tankah is always correct; Judaism is often incorrect. What Tanakh teaches and what Judaism taught are not the same. The two should not be conflated. Neither should Christianity be Judaized with misguided Jewish thought, doctrine, or practice.
Jesus confirmed the holding place for O.T. saints until His resurrection and His ascension for when He led the captivity captive for how and when paradise is now currently in Heaven with the O.T. saints as they await for the first-fruits of the resurrection to inherit their place in that City of God in Heaven at the pre great tribulation rapture event to sit down with N.T. disciples at the Marriage Supper table in Luke 13:24-30 KJV.

Luke 16:19-31 KJV Rich Man & the Beggar Lazarus
It is a parable, not factual history.

It is also off-topic. Whether Abaraham was in Abraham's bosom or not the fact remains God worked in Abraham, and God did so soteriologically. He did so in a manner contiguous with, not disparate from what happened in the OT/OC.

And the cogent response is a simple and plain, "Amen! Praise God!" not digression.

Back