• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Faith alone without works and pleasing God without doing His will

Ghada

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never heard some things before hearing them from others, because they are so foreign to any practical living, especially that of the Bible.

The idea being promoted along with having saving faith alone, apart from doing any works, is that Jesus was declared well-pleasing to the Father, apart from any works He did.

Jhn 8:29
And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.

Jesus plainly says, that He pleases the Father by doing His will, and not just in His spirit.

We now see how faith alone really means having pleasing thoughts alone: Just think pleasing thoughts that ought to please God, and all is well with our souls.

It's even a deeper desluion of what God rebukes in James 2 and 1 John 3, where we vainly seek to love God and man by pleasing words alone.

This fits with the idea of repenting with the mind only, without repenting of the dead works. Pleasing thinking without doing it, may please the thinkers, but not God.

Jas 1:22
But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

When God commands us to repent of our thoughts against Him, He always includes repenting of our ways displeasing to Him.

Isa 55:7
Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

If people were more openly honest about the full extent of their idealist teachings, then I truly believe that less people will hear them, who retain any sense of practical living. In fact such foolishness would be rightly scoffed at by any sensible child, who knows without doubt that disciplined parents are never pleased without doing what they say, and especially not when doing the opposite.

Is God the Father less sensible and practical than man? God forbid.

Let all them that preach being saved by faith alone without works, always accompany it with pleasing God without doing His will.

See how far they get with sensible people of practical minds.

Rev 2:24
But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, that they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.

A way in which some try to justify the lie of pleasing God without doing His will, is by separating God's good pleasure with His Sonm, before Jesus did any works of miracles.

This only adds to the blindness of sign and miracle seekers. It says the only works that please God are miracles. And doing His righteous and holy will have nothing to do with works well pleasing to God.

It's doctrine ripe for the seduction of false apostles and christs:

Rev 13:14
And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live.

This enlightens us in the difference between between the good works of God we do through Christ, and the works of God that only the Spirit does.

Luk 11:20
But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you.

Act 3:12
And when Peter saw it, he answered unto the people, Ye men of Israel, why marvel ye at this? or why look ye so earnestly on us, as though by our own power or holiness we had made this man to walk?

We do the will of God by the faith of Jesus, but only the Spirit of God does miracles in His name. And yet, the greatest miracle of God is for His people to do His good pleasure as His only begotten Son:

Luk 10:20
Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.

2Jo 1:4
I rejoiced greatly that I found of thy children walking in truth, as we have received a commandment from the Father.

2Jo 1:6

And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

This further enlightens in the difference of works that justify us with God, and works that follow us in Christ Jesus:

2Co 12:12
Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds.

Heb 2:4
God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?

Only the works of God in miracles and signs of Christ's ministry on earth, follow after conversion in Christ Jesus. But the works of true righteousness we do in Christ Jesus, are with conversion by repenatnace from dead works of our own.

We may indeed have no works of miracles with being saved by faith in Christ Jesus, but there is no saving faith of Jesus without doing His works pleasing to God.

Jhn 8:29
And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.

Phl 2:13
For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

1Th 4:1
Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more.

There is no such thing with the true God of heaven and earth, as pleasing Him without doing His will. And He is only with them that walk as He walked, to please God the same way as His Son by His faith and Spirit.

2Ch 1:1
And Solomon the son of David was strengthened in his kingdom, and the LORD his God was with him, and magnified him exceedingly.

Act 7:9
And the patriarchs, moved with envy, sold Joseph into Egypt: but God was with him,

Act 10:38
How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

No man pleases God the Father by faith alone, but only them that do His good will by His Son, are born of Him and walk in His light with Him:

3Jo 1:11
Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God.

We now see how faith alone really means having pleasing thoughts alone:
Of course that doesn't desribe BIBLICAL FAITH at all. it's true, however of Belief (Mental assent) which spiritually isn't worth SPIT.

Mental assent has no "Substance", and isn't "Evidence" of anything (Heb 11:1)

"FAITH" that results in NO WORKS was never FAITH to begin with. Simple as that.

As Melancthon said: "It IS FAITH ALONE that saves, but the FAITH That Saves is never alone". James is a "Litmus test" of FAITH.

Spurgeon put it: A "FAITH" that doesn't CHANGE a person, won't save them either.

Last edited:
Of course that doesn't desribe BIBLICAL FAITH at all. it's true, however of Belief (Mental assent) which spiritually isn't worth SPIT.

"FAITH" that results in NO WORKS was never FAITH to begin with. Simple as that.

As Melancthon said: "It IS FAITH ALONE that saves, but the FAITH That Saves is never alone". James is a "Litmus test" of FAITH.

Spurgeon put it: A "FAITH" that doesn't CHANGE a person, won't save them either.
Impossible to separate faith from works .Faith is a work

Exactly. They have their faith within their own minds alone, while not doing the good will of God.

True. Faith aloners are hearers only, not doing the word of God.

Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
Dead faith alone is defined by Scripture, as any faith apart from works.
As Melancthon said: "It IS FAITH ALONE that saves,
Which is the dead faith of hearers only, not doing word and will of God.

They first pay lip service to condemning having faith alone without doing the will of God, and then preach their own faith alone saves them.

And in so doing, their own words are as in open opposition to God's words, as the devil's in the garden:

"And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die"

The rightly call faith in the mind only by hearing, worthless spit. And they then preach that spit as their own saving faith alone.

Their self-saving lie to themselves and others, is that their own faith alone is not as dead as the faith alone of others.

And the worst hypocrisy with God and man, is what their own saving faith alone leads to: Their own self-justifying lie, that their own sinning alone is not as sinful as others...

Unlike other faith aloners, their own faith alone saves them, and also unlike other sinners, their own sins alone are not condemned.

but the FAITH That Saves is never alone".
We see once again the open contradiction of their own gospel: they are saved by faith alone, that must never be alone...

They speak vanity every one with his neighbour: with flattering lips and with a double heart do they speak.

It's the twisted web of self-decievers, who want to believe they are saved by their faith alone, apart from any works, and yet must give some lip-service to producing works by their faith, so that it is no more alone.

It makes faith alone good for salvation, but no good in practice. It's good to be saved by faith alone, but no good to have faith alone.

They confirm faith alone apart from works is worthless spit, that cannot save the soul, but then must preach their own faith alone is good enough spit to save their soul.

The faith alone that is good enough to save them, becomes worthless spit, if it have no works for too long...

How does such obvious drool ever get preached? Because the dirty little secret is, that it has nothing to do with being saved by faith alone, apart from any works at all.

That is the spit that clokes the truth of what they really believe and preach: It only has to do with being saved by faith, that indeed is never alone, because it is also with unrighteous works of the flesh.

It's the gospel of lukewarm saving faith, that is not alone, because it is always with works, whether good or evil. The faith they have is faith with works at all times, but it is the faith of warm and fuzzy works spit in the face of the Lord:

I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

James 2 is a simple rebuke to being saved by one's own faith, but not justified by ones own works.

True. Good works of Christ are only by God's faith, and bad works of sinners are only by man's own faith.

Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

Only God's faith by Jesus Christ saves the righteous soul. Sinful man's own faith cannot save the unrighteous soul.

Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

James 2 exposes any faith of man's own, that is not doing the good works of Christ, as being man's own sinful faith alone, not God's.

Jesus faith is always doing God's good works.

Man's own faith alone, is defined as not doing God's good will. Anyone of faith, that is not doing good with God and man, is left alone by Christ to his own faith alone, just as any one doing evil toward God and man...

IN James 2, the separation of faith, is not between works and no works, but is the separation between two different faiths had by men: the righteous doing God's will by Jesus' faith, and the unrighteous not doing God's will by their own faith alone.

Believers not doing God's good works, are counted as having dead faith to God. Only the believers doing good works of God, are justified as having Jesus' living faith toward God.

Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Dead works are the dead faith of believers not doing God's will. They are the hearers only, whose faith is only by hearing the word of truth, but not doing it.

We see once again the open contradiction of their own gospel: they are saved by faith alone, that must never be alone...

They speak vanity every one with his neighbour: with flattering lips and with a double heart do they speak.

It's the twisted web of self-decievers, who want to believe they are saved by their faith alone, apart from any works, and yet must give some lip-service to producing works by their faith, so that it is no more alone.

It makes faith alone good for salvation, but no good in practice. It's good to be saved by faith alone, but no good to have faith alone.

They confirm faith alone apart from works is worthless spit, that cannot save the soul, but then must preach their own faith alone is good enough spit to save their soul.

The faith alone that is good enough to save them, becomes worthless spit, if it have no works for too long...

How does such obvious drool ever get preached? Because the dirty little secret is, that it has nothing to do with being saved by faith alone, apart from any works at all.

That is the spit that clokes the truth of what they really believe and preach: It only has to do with being saved by faith, that indeed is never alone, because it is also with unrighteous works of the flesh.

It's the gospel of lukewarm saving faith, that is not alone, because it is always with works, whether good or evil. The faith they have is faith with works at all times, but it is the faith of warm and fuzzy works spit in the face of the Lord:

I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

James 2 is a simple rebuke to being saved by one's own faith, but not justified by ones own works.
So then handle 1 Cor 3:15. Let's hear your "Work-around".

No contradiction at all. You're confusing "Cause", and "Effect". James is presenting a TEST whereby one can know whether or not they're operating in FAITH, or just nothing but "religious belief".

I.e. If what you CALL FAITH doesn't, of its own intrinsic nature, PRODUCE "good works", Then it's not "Faith" at all - just religious belief.

Faith isn't a "WORK" - it's a GIFT that comes as the result of God's WORD to you in the power of the Holy SPirit. There's references to the "Hearing of faith" - "Conviction of SIN" in those that God is drawing to Christ.

The term "Faith" is like "Love" it's so liberally used, that it means nothing. FAITH has to have the two attributes in Heb 11:1 - i.e. It has to have SUBSTANCE, and it must be an EVIDENCE of what you don't see. "Belief" has neither attribute.

Mark 11:22-24 describes it: "Believe in your HEART - NOTHING DOUBTING". belief (intellectual assent) always has "Doubt"

And then there's 1 Cor 3:15 where a person IS SAVED - but there are no "Works". The Thief on the cross is a case in point.

So then handle 1 Cor 3:15. Let's hear your "Work-around".
Scripture isn't worked around.

And working around being saved by faith alone, that is never alone, doesn't take any work, but only a suspension of reality.

And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
I often wondered why God says darkness does not comprehend light, until I began to see the kind of arguments that must depart from normal sense, in order to argue something so normally foolish.

But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!

Jesus says there is a darkness that is worse than normal ignorance, because it must be forced in order to remain blind to true light, which includes grade-school grammatical comprehension.

A proof of purposed false teaching, is when it makes a normal child go cross-eyed.

And once I see such things, I know it's a waste of time to answer any more demanded questions.
So then handle 1 Cor 3:15.
No.

Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.

No contradiction at all.
Preaching a faith alone, that is never alone...

But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!

You're confusing "Cause", and "Effect".
God the Word and the faith of Jesus have no separation between cause and effect, because there is no separation between His faith and works.

James is presenting a TEST whereby one can know whether or not they're operating in FAITH, or just nothing but "religious belief".
Which is proven by works. Not doing good is proof of not having the faith of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Doing unrighteous works isn't even given the time of day in James 2 to argue against...

Faith isn't a "WORK"
And so work is not faith.

We see here how having faith alone apart from works, is having works apart from faith.

A perfect hypocrisy of having religion without living it, including works in opposition to their religion of faith alone.

And the doctrine advocating it, is a work of imaginative folly.

For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

- it's a GIFT that comes as the result of God's WORD to you in the power of the Holy SPirit.
The faith of Jesus is the gift of God given to them that repent of their sinning. It's the gift of God's faith that is always doing His will, and is never apart from His good and righteous deeds.

Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Blessed are they that keep judgment, and he that doeth righteousness at all times.

Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

Anyone having their own saving faith alone, is left alone by the Father and the Son to their own faith alone to save them...

There's references to the "Hearing of faith" - "Conviction of SIN" in those that God is drawing to Christ.
True. And only those repented of their sinning are reconciled to God by Christ.

The ongoing unrepented sinner is still being convicted to repent and be reconciled to God, including the half-hearted sinner with his own liukewarm gift of faith alone.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

One's own faith alone is one's own gift to oneself, that says it has no need to repent of sinning, or at least not all sinning:

How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow.

The man Christ Jesus like all men sees the works of man, not any 'lone faith' hidden out of sight from God and man.

The term "Faith" is like "Love" it's so liberally used, that it means nothing.
True. And so is lukewam love of half-hearted repenters, that are personally selective in their repentance according to their own faith and will alone.

Ephraim, he hath mixed himself among the people; Ephraim is a cake not turned.

And yet for all this her treacherous sister Judah hath not turned unto me with her whole heart, but feignedly, saith the LORD.

FAITH has to have the two attributes in Heb 11:1 - i.e. It has to have SUBSTANCE, and it must be an EVIDENCE of what you don't see.
True. Faith is the substance of what is not seen, and works are the evidence faith has substance.

Faith alone is never seen by God nor man, but only by the one imagining he has faith to save him.

What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

No, of course not. What the righteous Lord cannot see in works, he cannot see in faith.

Mark 11:22-24 describes it: "Believe in your HEART - NOTHING DOUBTING". belief (intellectual assent) always has "Doubt"
And believing without doubting one is saved by our own faith alone apart from our works, is the strong delusion of believing one is saved while doing wicked works against the Lord Jesus Christ and God the Father.

Having one's own faith alone to save oneself, is the greater darkness than that of unrepented sinners, that do not seek to justify their continued sins and trespasses. They have not learned to believe the lying wonder of walking with Jesus in the light, while walking with the devil in darkness.

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

Jesus Christ is not the dark christ that is equally yoked with workers of iniquity.

For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;

We see for ourselves that all of the above doctrine made for salvation by one's own faith alone, is not only without works, but is without even speaking of doing the good works of God, much less at all times.

Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God.

The only time the works of faith aloners is even spoken of, is to condemn their works as not being their faith. Which is what having faith alone apart from works does: it makes their works apart from their faith.

And then there's 1 Cor 3:15 where a person IS SAVED - but there are no "Works". The Thief on the cross is a case in point.

Those who seek to be justified by their own faith alone, are ever seeking to find God doing so for others.

And being blind to the faith of Jesus Christ, they are also blind to the good works done in the gospel of Christ Jesus.

The thief's honest confession of faith in the righteousness of the Lord Jesus, is a work of the Spirit judged righteous by God:

For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

And, not only are a man's words judged as works by God, but also the very thoughts and intents of the heart:

But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

The unrepentant and half-repentant prove the blindness of their own faith to God's own gift of faith, by their own faith's blindness to the works judge by God.

And so long as that repentant saved man on a cross, is no more a thief nor blasphemer as the others crucified there, without reviling nor cursing with them unto his own death, then he did see and hear the Lord in Hell's paradise with Abraham and Lazarus.

If he did wholly repent of his own past sinning, even on a cross, then he also no doubt kept himself by Jesus' faith from doing his old sins unto death.

The thieves also, which were crucified with him, cast the same in his teeth.

But if his confession was with his lips alone, or only by half-hearted repentance as the lukewarm believers, then no doubt he kept on cursing and reviling with the others unto the end.

It's what self-justifiers do, that take Jesus' promise to them that obey Him, unto thesmelves by their own faith alone, with disobedience.

James 2 is not rebuking having no faith at all in this life, where it is not possible to have no works at all, neither good nor evil.

James 2 is only rebuking them that have their own faith alone to save them, with disobedience to the Lord by works.

Faith isn't a "WORK" - it's a GIFT that comes as the result of God's WORD to you in the power of the Holy SPirit. There's references to the "Hearing of faith" - "Conviction of SIN" in those that God is drawing to Christ.

The term "Faith" is like "Love" it's so liberally used, that it means nothing. FAITH has to have the two attributes in Heb 11:1 - i.e. It has to have SUBSTANCE, and it must be an EVIDENCE of what you don't see. "Belief" has neither attribute
Its according to His works

According to the law of faith. faith is a work or labor of love. its the "let there be" and the evidence seen "was God alone good"(.faith)

Not a faith called dead that comes from us we have none, lying in bodies of death He gives us a remnant of His powerful faith calling us of "little faith" just enough hope to reflect the glory of God . The one source of Christian faith.as it is writen (sola scriptura )

It's easy to separate them.....faith produces works. And to say it a bit differently, because of salvation where we are saved bu faith alone, we "work" to glorify God.

Never can we work and expect to ever do enough to provide for our salvation...especially when one understands we can't work for a free gift.

Scripture isn't worked around.

And working around being saved by faith alone, that is never alone, doesn't take any work, but only a suspension of reality.

And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
I often wondered why God says darkness does not comprehend light, until I began to see the kind of arguments that must depart from normal sense, in order to argue something so normally foolish.

Jesus says there is a darkness that is worse than normal ignorance, because it must be forced in order to remain blind to true light, which includes grade-school grammatical comprehension.

A proof of purposed false teaching, is when it makes a normal child go cross-eyed.

And once I see such things, I know it's a waste of time to answer any more demanded questions.

No.

Yikes...you punted the football.

A simple question that never seems to get answered.....How much "works" is required to get saved?

A simple question that never seems to get answered.....How much "works" is required to get saved?
Prov 26:4

Because God does not answer mocking questions intended only for strife, not truth.

1 Tim 6:4
He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,

The honest question is what must we do to be saved:

Acts 2:37
Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 3:19
Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

2 Cor 7:10
For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Heb 6:1
Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

Repentance is not a work, but is the necessity of ceasing to do works dead to God, to be saved and reconciled to God.

Once saved the honest question is what must we do to be resurrected unto life:

Luke 10
And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

With repentance unto salvation, doing the good works of Christ is necessary to recieve the reward of His inheirtance.

Col 3:23
And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

How much works is needed to be resurrected with Jesus Christ? Always the good work at hand.

James 2:15
If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

1 John 3:17
But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?

John
{8:29} And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.

The unrepentant or half-repentant seek to be saved by their own dead faith alone. They then seek to be rewarded with everlasting inheritance by no good works or only by lukewarm works.

Rom 2:5
But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;

Rev 3:16
So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

Having no dead works is worthy of Jesus' saving faith, and no amount of lukewarm works is worthy of being resurrected in Jesus' likewness.

1 John 3:2
Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

Back