• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Does Christ repeat the Sabbath commandment?

Hobie

Senior
Reaction score
Some claim that the Sabbath doesnt exist anymore because Christ didnt teach it or repeat it as part of the Commandments, so what did Jesus say?
According to the following verse I’d say that Christ clearly shows that His Sabbath would still be observed after His death:
Matthew 24:20
But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

The context of this verse is that Christ was warning the disciples about the destruction of Jerusalem, which occurred in 70 AD at the hands of the Roman army. Christ prophesied that this event would happen and it did. Why would Christ be concerned that people observe the Sabbath day at a time that would have been about 40 years after His death if His death was supposed to abolish it? Hmm, we have to rethink some of these ideas on it being done away with..

If you look, Jesus Christ and the apostles lived and taught in a culture that definitely knew about and kept the Sabbath. Jesus’ confrontations with the Pharisees were over how to observe the Sabbath, never over whether to observe it as the Pharisees had twisted it with all their oral traditions and rules. Christ clearly shows He did not abolish it in what He said..
Matthew 5:17
"17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil."

Then we see Christ say what people have done in following 'tradition' and not God..
Mark 7:6-9
"6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition...

Some claim that the Sabbath doesnt exist anymore because Christ didnt teach it or repeat it as part of the Commandments...
Those that do so are arguing a logical fallacy known as argumentum ex silentio, or an argument from silence. Logical fallacies are always bad method leading to bad conclusion. They are always and everywhere worthless. Jesus never said anything about purple polka-dotted, four-headed monkey dolphins, either. He never once said he ever urinated. Neither silence means purple polka-dotted, four-headed monkey dolphins actually exist or Jesus never had to go to the bathroom. People who argue from silence do so faultily. People who argue against arguments from silence as if the argument from silence had any merit whatsoever..... do so faultily. The best response is to simply observe the fallacy and move on.

...so what did Jesus say?
According to the following verse I’d say that Christ clearly shows that His Sabbath would still be observed after His death:
Matthew 24:20
But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

The context of this verse is that Christ was warning the disciples about the destruction of Jerusalem, which occurred in 70 AD at the hands of the Roman army. Christ prophesied that this event would happen and it did. Why would Christ be concerned that people observe the Sabbath day at a time that would have been about 40 years after His death if His death was supposed to abolish it? Hmm, we have to rethink some of these ideas on it being done away with..

If you look, Jesus Christ and the apostles lived and taught in a culture that definitely knew about and kept the Sabbath. Jesus’ confrontations with the Pharisees were over how to observe the Sabbath, never over whether to observe it as the Pharisees had twisted it with all their oral traditions and rules. Christ clearly shows He did not abolish it in what He said..
Matthew 5:17
"17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil."

Then we see Christ say what people have done in following 'tradition' and not God..
Mark 7:6-9
"6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition...
So what?

All of that was said prior to Calvary and Pentecost. Everything changed at Calvary. All the Law was fulfilled at Calvary, including the Laws pertaining to the Sabbaths. Why is that fact never addressed in any of the three ops you've authored on the Sabbath?

How many times is the word "sabbath" explicitly mentioned after the book of Acts?

Back