• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

Why Covenant? What Difference Does It Make?

Arial

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Christian/Reformed
Country
US
Politics
conservative
My intent here is not to compare the two primary frameworks of Bible interpretation, covenant and dispensations, but to present covenants as what they are, why they are necessary, and what they add to our walk with God, as to understanding Him; His relationship to us, and us to Him; our safety and security and how embracing this covenant relationship can expand our trust in Him. How it will increase our faith, our knowledge of Him, our confidence, and our leaning on Him, particularly in times of trial.

A covenant is at its core a relationship between two or more parties. There are different types of covenants, some bilateral, meaning there is the covenant head who places conditions on those in the covenant with him that if not kept, voids the covenant. A king and vassal king would be an example of this. The head is no longer obligated to his covenant promises and the covenant relationship is broken.

A unilateral covenant on the other hand is a covenant agreement made that outlines the relationship of the covenant designer to those who are in covenant with him. It places no conditions upon those in the covenant but only obligations on the one instituting the covenant, It defines the relationship between the two parties.

God is covenantal in His very being as triune. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are in full agreement on all things at all times, and each performs unique actions of one purpose. At creation the very creation and all that is in it became covenant with the covenant maker who made all that is, and governs all that is. We see this in His planting the Garden of Eden for the man to dwell in and tend and have dominion over. This dominion was not instead of the Creator, but under the Creator. Everything had its purpose and served its purpose. And it was a bilateral covenant or a covenant of works.

He made a woman for the man and they were in a covenant relationship with each other, and this is the intent of God from the beginning. A part of man's being created in His image and likeness. Two becoming one, and then the family. Even today the traditional marriage vows express the marriage as a binding covenant. It is a relationship between two people. The fact that it is seldom treated as a covenant, a covenant is a very serious thing, and seldom seen as such, does not change what it is.

When God enters into a covenant with mankind, it establishes a relationship and what that relationship is. And one would be hard pressed to imagine another way in which God who is completely other than us, could have a relationship with humanity, or we could have one with Him. We cannot reach up to Him. He must reach down to us. He must bring individuals or nations into a covenant relationship.

Without going into detail on the various covenants, there were two made with Abraham, one of promise iow unilateral and based entirely on faith in Him. There was the promise of the land, and the promise of a Seed that would bless all nations. These are actually the same covenant that were ongoing simultaneously and within that one, a covenant of works was introduced with Israel, the Mosaic covenant with its laws, promises and curses for breaking the laws. It was a covenant relationship God made with Israel.

My purpose in bringing this out is that there is often a tendency to not recognize covenant language, particularly that in the OT, as applying to covenant people, and not all people without exception. And because that is done it is possible to see God as somewhat one dimensional and also not recognize those things in the OT that are applicable to us as covenant people, and distinguish between those that are not.

It is in the Mosaic law covenant that we learn how God treats and relates to His covenant people. The Psalms in particular are filled with nothing but covenant language, and from the viewpoint of those who were in that covenant of law. It is because of this that they frequently refer to the Law as their teacher of who God is. Psalm 119:1 Blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the Lord! 5. Oh that my ways may be steadfast in keeping your statutes. 19. I am a sojourner on the earth; hide not your commandments from me! 105. Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

There is the greatest comfort in the Psalms. Great glory to God and utter dependance on Him for everything is found in those faithful writers. They knew Him. So from them we get a picture of God as love, mercy, Father, and tend to see only that side of Him, and think He has the same love and mercy for all people without distinction. And though He does send common mercy that is a product of His attribute of love, in that He is patient as He fulfills His purposes, and does not withhold all good from the wicked, it is not equal to His covenant love, that separates the righteous from the unrighteous. What we see in the Psalms is His covenant love, and His protection and provision, and unique relationship with His covenant people. It is the love He had for Israel, and it is the love He has for us in the New Covenant. It is promise and promise kept.

We see the difference most radically in Psalm 136. The psalmist spends 16 verses extolling the goodness of God towards His covenant people, each praise of what He did in the exodus for them followed by "for His steadfast love endures forever."

In verse 17 immediately following that statement he begins, "to Him who struck down great kings, for His steadfast love endures forever; 18. and killed mighty kings, for His steadfast love endures forever. And continues in this same vein for the next six verses. In vers 25, the psalmist acknowledges common love for all mankind, which is different than His covenant love. He who gives food to all flesh, for His steadfast love endures forever.

Keeping covenant language in mind, and that we are His covenant people, the comfort in the Psalms becomes intensely personal, and God revealed in them, is our hope and trust. "Wait on the Lord; be of good courage,and He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord!" (Ps 27:14) We can read that as a promise in times of despair or trouble, and rest knowing that God is at work in it working all things for good. Psalms such as 23 and 91 and countless others, that both teach and comfort and correct, and most of all reveal God to us, what to seek, what to ask for, how to praise and pray, as holy, certain promise. The Most High God, Creator of all that is, sovereign over it, through Christ who became one of us to bring us into this covenant, seeing us, hearing us, knowing us and all that is going on with us, instituting a personal relationship with us. Covering us beneath the shadow of His wings. Our Father.

Hmmm. No input? No interest? Nothing to see? Nothing learn? Nothing to add? Nothing to correct? Or simply nothing to disagree with and argue about?

Covenants bring union, or communion with God and his saints by the sacraments the means of grace!

Verses a Bible study!

Due to numerous exceptions to both 'systems' I gave up on them both. I became a historian rather than a theologian. I learned that Rom 9's end to 10's start, Gal 3:17, and Eph 3:5,6 were much more of a statement about unfolding history than theology. That is, the mistakes of post-exile Judaism needed to be addressed and corrected. My 2 books that are theology studies were the result.

Back