• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

What does it means, man was made in the Image of God?

Hobie

Senior
Reaction score
Genesis 1:27
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Is mankind immortal, all powerful, all knowing, self-existing, present throughout the universe, No. So what attributes did man received when he was created? God is omnipotent, omniscient with other attributes which man does not have, and never did have. Now these characteristics only are of God, even though man was made in God's image. When man was created, he was made in the image of God in outward resemblance and in character, which would include what we consider able to discern, to know good from bad.

Since scripture is silent on the matter of defining the exact nature of God's "image," any answers posted will be speculative no matter how well or poorly couched in scripture. I would venture to suggest at least three ways the image of God is born in humans...

• God is immortal and incorruptible.
  • God is relational.
  • God is creative.

I will further suggest it is critically important to remember humans are not currently a finished product. Although God made everything in six days the creation was not finished. Temporally speaking, God's plan and purpose unfold to a future goal and for humans that means we are not as we will one day be. Humans were made corruptible and mortal but those who partake in Jesus (or the garden's tree of life) are (re-)made incorruptible and immortal (like God Himself). This aspect of our being "in process" is critical to understanding whatever God's image in us is, it is not all said and done (no pun intended). I would further note whatever the image is, it is not all. God is infinite. By definition so, too, is His image. We are finite. The finite cannot ever contain the infinite. Logically, even though the scripture does not state "part of" or "a portion of" we should understand we have only a part of God's image. Again, logically speaking, it is impossible for more than one omni-attributed all-powerful big-G God's to exist at the same time so whatever the "image" is, it will never make us Gods. Plural Gods is an oxymoron. We're created in the image, a representation, not in the actual.

I'll also add Jesus being God's image might be a clue in answer to the tite's inquiry.

Colossians 1:15
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.

Along with,

Philippians 2:7-8
...but emptied himself by taking the form of a bond-servant and being born in the likeness of men, and being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death: death on a cross.

The image is our likeness and appearance... huh :unsure:

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Is mankind immortal, all powerful, all knowing, self-existing, present throughout the universe, No. So what attributes did man received when he was created? God is omnipotent, omniscient with other attributes which man does not have, and never did have. Now these characteristics only are of God, even though man was made in God's image. When man was created, he was made in the image of God in outward resemblance and in character, which would include what we consider able to discern, to know good from bad.

The image is actually from the same term used to mark boundaries around empires, using a bust of an emperor. It has less to do with internal attributes and more to do with the ruler's domain. It was a declaration to all the entities (principalities and powers) that the earth was the Lord's. There are psalms that reinforce this, saying that the earth is the Lord's and that his kingdom has always been over the earth (not about rough events or circumstances, but title or ownership and honor due). Finally in the resurrection , there is proof to the world of the honor due--the imperative kingdom of God reigned over by His Son, a defeat for wayward principalities and powers (Eph 1, 4, 6).

What does it mean man was made in the image of God?
The image is actually from the same term used to mark boundaries around empires, using a bust of an emperor.
@EarlyActs is sort of a right track because the Genesis 1 term used (G6754) is the same word God used when commanding us not to make idols. God made a figure of Himself when He made humans, and He commanded those figures He'd made not to make figures of Him in return - or figures of what they think He might be like. Hence my third point. We have a creative ability. It's not infinite and almighty, but we're nonetheless created and creative in ways no other creature appears to be. Because the creative ability is not an omni-attributed the figures we make don't think, feel, will, or act with any of their own agency. The action figures God's action figures make end up being mockeries of both God and God's action figures ;).

Since scripture is silent on the matter of defining the exact nature of God's "image," any answers posted will be speculative no matter how well or poorly couched in scripture. I would venture to suggest at least three ways the image of God is born in humans...

• God is immortal and incorruptible.
  • God is relational.
  • God is creative.

I will further suggest it is critically important to remember humans are not currently a finished product. Although God made everything in six days the creation was not finished. Temporally speaking, God's plan and purpose unfold to a future goal and for humans that means we are not as we will one day be. Humans were made corruptible and mortal but those who partake in Jesus (or the garden's tree of life) are (re-)made incorruptible and immortal (like God Himself). This aspect of our being "in process" is critical to understanding whatever God's image in us is, it is not all said and done (no pun intended). I would further note whatever the image is, it is not all. God is infinite. By definition so, too, is His image. We are finite. The finite cannot ever contain the infinite. Logically, even though the scripture does not state "part of" or "a portion of" we should understand we have only a part of God's image. Again, logically speaking, it is impossible for more than one omni-attributed all-powerful big-G God's to exist at the same time so whatever the "image" is, it will never make us Gods. Plural Gods is an oxymoron. We're created in the image, a representation, not in the actual.

I'll also add Jesus being God's image might be a clue in answer to the tite's inquiry.

Colossians 1:15
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.

Along with,

Philippians 2:7-8
...but emptied himself by taking the form of a bond-servant and being born in the likeness of men, and being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death: death on a cross.Are

The image is our likeness and appearance... huh :unsure:
Are righteousness, holiness and knowledge of Him not the image of God (Eph 4:24, Col 3:10)?

Are righteousness, holiness and knowledge of Him not the image of God (Eph 4:24, Col 3:10)?
Think it through...... (which of those attributes would exist outside of God being immortal, relational, and creative?)

I'd add to Post #2 but no one's yet shown and interest. In a post-postmodern world people do not like to acknowledge anything as an absolute so I'll use the word "universal" (but y'all know what I mean ;)). The social sciences (anthropology, psychology, sociology, etc.) has studied ever culture and society as far back as we know to go and done so all over the world. There conditions prove universal:

• Man is social
  • Man is moral
  • Man is spiritual

There are no hermit cultures. Every culture/society codifies conduct (and typically along very similar line with the Decalogue :unsure:). Every culture has spiritual beliefs; there are no atheist cultures. God is triune, righteous, and Spirit. Image of God.

Wasn't man created morally good?

Think it through...... (which of those attributes would exist outside of God being immortal, relational, and creative?)
Scripture has revealed what is the image of God (Eph 4:24, Col 3:10).
Where Scripture makes an end to teaching, I make an end to learning.

Scripture has revealed what is the image of God (Eph 4:24, Col 3:10).
Only if one plays fast and loose with God's word.

The op specifies man made in God's image, a reference to Genesis 1:27. Ephesians 4:24 pertains ONLY to the convert to Christ, not man as s/he was originally made. The new self is created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. The new self, not the old self and not the self Adam had when made. Adam was not Jesus. Had he been Jesus we wouldn't be in this position of needing Jesus.
Where Scripture makes an end to teaching, I make an end to learning.
It would appear the posts prove otherwise because it looks like learning stopped well short of what scripture plainly states. This op is about Adam as Adam was first made, NOT the image of God born by those in Christ.

Back