• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Update on the Shroud of Turin

TB2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yesterday had the privilege of speaking with Barrie Schwortz for a couple hours, an expert on the Shroud of Turin and one of the few in the world who has physically handled and examined the Shroud. He is a Jew who is convinced (based on the evidence) that the Shroud of Turin is, indeed the actual burial shroud of the historical Jesus of Nazareth.

He brought me up to speed on the latest research, and explained how the 1988 radiocarbon "results" were predetermined, erroneous, politically and economically motivated, and how they've now been debunked.

He was recently on the Glen Beck Show (just last week):

"After 17 years... I had to resign myself to the fact that the most plausible explanation for this is that this is the burial shroud of the historical Jesus of Nazareth."

"You don't have to be a Christian to accept the existence of the historical Jesus and accept that there may be an artifact of [Jesus's life]."

Here's a fuller (video) interview:

php87Fknq.gif

phpKAiwJU.jpg

The Shroud of Turin is the most important artifact for Christianity and is the most studied artifact in the world. So much so, in fact, that the scientific study of the Shroud is a recognized field of study in itself (*Sindonology*).

Barrie Schwortz runs a non-profit organization called STERA (Shroud of Turin Education and Research Association): https://www.shroud.com/stera.htm

The evidence for the Shroud's authenticity is stronger than I realized:

(1) The preponderance of the evidence is that the Turin Shroud is authentic.

(2) The 1988 radiocarbon results are not representative of the Shroud, and, therefore, provide us with no information about the Shroud's true age.

(3) The results of four other dating methods are consistent with a 1st century origin, and inconsistent with a medieval origin.

(4) An accurate radiocarbon test of the Shroud that employs robust protocols still needs to be done.

Provenance: In addition to the compelling historical case for the Shroud's presence in Jerusalem, Edessa, Constantinople, and Europe (as well as pollen and a rare type of limestone travertine aragonite that locates the Shroud in the Jerusalem area), extensive DNA sequencing and analysis of the many different types of plant and human DNA (halotypes) found in dust and pollen grains on the Shroud are further consistent with the Shroud's presence in the above localities.

php65hNP1.png
php8p0Ai1.png
phpvyx8vQ.png

Image: The image is not a painting or work of art, and unlike the blood, does not show any evidence of seeping, soaking or liquid capillary flow, but superficially penetrates only a few microns into the 1 or 2 uppermost *fibers* that compose the larger linen threads. The discoloration of fibers that comprise the image is the result of an oxidative, dehydration process that has only affected the outer primary cell wall of the fibers, leaving the internal structure unaffected. The varying intensity of the image results from the density or number of fibers that are discolored in a given area, and not from any change in the color of the fibers themselves (i.e., the discoloration is the same, uniform color throughout).

phpXgcLEL.jpeg

phpMOSIrv.jpeg

Image Formation: Scientifically, the mechanism that made the image remains a mystery. It is not a painting, nor is it the result of a scorch or high temperature event, nor is it the result of radiation or a radiation burn. But one thing is for sure: it is NOT a medieval forgery, nor is it human made; which leaves supernatural, or some as of yet, unknown natural process or phenomenon.

phpSHtWAz.png
phpX9PJ97.png

Synopsis: With the Turin Shroud we have a linen burial shroud made by technology consistent with first century linen production that enshrouded a human male body bearing anatomically and medically accurate wounds consistent with Roman scourging and crucifixion, and an additional side wound and scalp puncture wounds consistent with the gospel accounts of the crucifixion of Jesus, evidencing a *cap* of thorns (as opposed to the traditional circular *crown/wreath* of thorns).

Evidence of rigor mortis and a lack of any evidence for putrefication (body decomposition) of any kind (commonly seen in other burial cloths) indicates the body was in the Shroud for no more than 40 hours and then removed without causing any disruption (smearing, breakage, distortion, etc.) of the blood stains.

Last edited:
3D Spatial Data: One of the most remarkable features of the Shroud of Turin is that the image contains 3D spatial data. The image density correlates with distance from a shroud-wrapped body. Put another way, before the body was removed, a superficial image of the body with negative photographic and 3D properties was transferred to the linen via some as of yet undetermined action-at-a-distance "radiation" pprocess. When fed through a VP-8 image analyzer the results returned a 3D image when 2D pictures usually return distorted. This, in turn, has enabled scientists to construct 3D images of the body that was contained in the Shroud.

phpUGqK8f.jpg

phpdbp2Nf.jpg

phpDNfH2U.gif

phpBZaHi0.jpg

1988 Radiocarbon Results:

(1) The 1988 test did not follow recommended protocols, including at least 3 samples from different parts of the Shroud (only 1 part of Shroud was sampled) and at least 7 different testing laboratories (which was reduced to 3). There were scientists who formally protested/criticized these deviations in the same journal (Nature) that published the results *before* the radiocarbon test was even conducted.

(2) The sample was taken from the Raes corner of the Shroud, which previous scientists had identified as a contaminated section of the Shroud that was unsuitable for radiocarbon dating. Recommendations *against* sampling from the Raes corner had already been made prior to the 1988 radiocarbon test

(3) A single linear strip of linen was cut from the Raes corner and then further cut into smaller pieces and given to the 3 testing laboratories in Arizona, Zurich, and Oxford).

(4) The 1988 results showed an anomalously high Chi-Square test of 6.4, not found in the control samples. This meant that the 3 laboratory test samples were not homogenous but heterogeneous, and should not have been treated as 3 independent tests of the same thing, but single test results for 3 different things (i.e., among other things, the results of the 3 labs should not have been averaged).

phpmozfWM.png

(5) Additional evidence of the heterogeneity of the 3 samples has since been confirmed by multiple, independent investigators who have confirmed a statistically significant linear trend in the results that evidence a C14 enrichment mechanism that correlates with distance from the edge of the Shroud. Put another way, the tests were supposed to be 3 independent tests of the same thing. They are not. They are single radiocarbon tests on 3 different (heterogenous) samples, each of which contain different levels of C14 (so, again, it is improper to average the results). Furthermore, the amount of C14 in these samples increases with distance from the edge of the Shroud (again, showing that the laboratories were not given 3 samples of the same thing to independently test, but effectively 3 different samples).

phpzUPLO4.png

(6) There is also evidence of an "invisible repair/weave" in the sampled section; cotton that has been woven in between the original fibers to repair this damaged section of the Shroud. Cotton is found nowhere else on the Shroud.

(7) There is confirmation that secondary cotton fibers not original to the Shroud (and absent from the rest of the Shroud) have been spun *into* the linen in the Raes section (i.e., these are not external cotton fibers on the Shroud surface, but internal). There is confirmed presence of additional substances in the Raes section not found in the rest of the Shroud, including plant type gum adhesives. This evidence demonstrates that the Raes corner where the sample for radiocarbon dating was taken from is atypical and not representative of the Shroud.

(8) Additional evidence, including Quad Mosaic and UV-Fluorescent imaging tests further confirm that the Raes area where the sample for radiocarbon dating was taken from is atypical and not representative, and has a different chemical composition from the rest of the Shroud.

phpGNBmCy.png

(9) The UV-Fluorescent results are particularly noteworthy for exhibiting a near perfect correlation (99.3%) with the 1988 radiocarbon results (i.e., the radiocarbon results from each laboratory are almost perfectly predicted by the UV-fluorescence). This suggests that fluorescence predicts carbon date, and amounts to an actual measure of contamination.

phpz34tyl.png

The Results of Four Dating Methods are Consistent with a First Century Origin:

(1) These dating methods include: Vanillin Extinction, FTIR, Raman Spectroscopy, and Elasticity/Modulus Measures of linen fibers (i.e., "Breaking Strength").

(2) Here, I review 1 of the 4: Vanillin Extinction. The lignin in plant material (including linen fibers) includes a substance called vanillin that degrades to 0% over time. The kinetics (i.e., rate of degradation is affected by temperature). Based on these degradation rates, if the Shroud truly dates to 1290-1360 (as the 1988 radiocarbon results suggest), then about 30-40% of the vanillin should still be present. However, if the Shroud dates to the first century, then there should be no (0%) vanillin (More specifically, because degradation rates are affected by temperature, a 0% vanillin result would indicate a date of anywhere between 1,000 BC and 700 AD).

*The Raes section still contains vanillin. The rest of the Shroud, however, does not, but has 0%. This result not only provides additional confirmation that the Raes area where the sample for radiocarbon dating was taken from is atypical and not representative of the Shroud, it further shows that the rest of the Shroud is demonstrably older than the Raes section.

phpuKm01A.png

ASSESSMENT: The 1988 radiocarbon results were based on an atypical, non-representative sample, and, therefore, do not provide us information about the true age of the Turin Shroud. Thus, an accurate radiocarbon test that employs robust protocols still needs to be done. Scientific conclusions are always tentative, so they can be changed in the future should new evidence warrant it. However, an assessment of the Turin Shroud based on the preponderance of the evidence that we currently do have indicates that the Shroud of Turin is authentic.

New data questions finding that Shroud of Turin was medieval hoax

Study of data from 1988 Shroud of Turin testing suggests mistakes

New evidence supporting Shroud of Turin is too strong to ignore, says journalist

For anyone interested in a FREE ebook download on the Shroud of Turin....

phpnJtp2w.jpg

Here's the direct link I went to. Signed up for free vip list for updates on the Shroud of Turin and then received email link to download free book. (Not a gimmick, not a spam site). Book is in pdf format. Table of Contents shown below.

Link

php30OX8c.jpg

phpus83XG.jpg

phpnBRTGq.jpg

php5MPgy7.jpg

phpiUSpQv.jpg

phpG9us1s.jpg

phpSgwrw4.jpg

phpcjtASv.jpg

I had always dismissed the Shroud, thinking it to be from the middle ages - probably because it sounded too good to be true. I had no idea that the evidence was so strong for it. Thanks for the update.

Reactions: TB2
I had always dismissed the Shroud, thinking it to be from the middle ages - probably because it sounded too good to be true. I had no idea that the evidence was so strong for it. Thanks for the update.
I know you don't need more book recommendations so here's me not giving you a book recommendation lol 😆

phpZtcOF8.jpg

But when I spoke with Barrie a couple days ago he told me about this 800 page "stunning expose" (above) on the radiocarbon results that I had no idea about and have yet to read myself on how they had already decided beforehand what they were going to tell the press. Turns out this is not some conspiracy theory but has now been documented.

But a lot of people still don't know about it--I just learned myself two days ago!! I knew in 1988 the results didn't make sense because all the rest of the evidence pointed to authenticity, so I knew something didn't jive. Then over the decades evidence of poor protocol and methodology started coming out, but it was only two days ago I learned from Barrie there was outright fraud involved with the carbon dating!

But if you don't have time for the 800 page book, go to the first post and watch the second video (from about 28:00-33:00) to hear what Barrie himself says about it

Or, if you have a little more time here is a great video that will give you the gist of the 800 page expose in 39 minutes. Well worth your time if you can spare it!

"Accountants could be charged with fraud if they behaved this way"

"The carbon dating of the Shroud will probably go down as ONE OF THE GREATEST FIASCOS IN THE HISTORY OF SCIENCE"

I know you don't need more book recommendations so here's me not giving you a book recommendation lol 😆
:ROFLMAO: More books! I will need 3 lifetimes to get through all these!

But thanks for the recommendations. I will watch the videos over the weekend. It must have been fascinating talking with him.

Reactions: TB2
:ROFLMAO: More books! I will need 3 lifetimes to get through all these!

But thanks for the recommendations. I will watch the videos over the weekend. It must have been fascinating talking with him.
It was. I can't believe he took time to talk to me for over two hours. Very down to earth humble man. And he's working on an autobiographical book that you can't add to your growing list (when it comes out). Not just the Shroud. Fascinating life from his Jewish mother smuggling intelligence during WWII to photography work related to Los Alamos atomic bomb to world travels. Fascinating and full life of adventures and experiences (I told him he reminds me of a modern day Indiana Jones).

Blessings

phpZtcOF8.jpg

But when I spoke with Barrie a couple days ago he told me about this 800 page "stunning expose" (above) on the radiocarbon results that I had no idea about and have yet to read myself on how they had already decided beforehand what they were going to tell the press. Turns out this is not some conspiracy theory but has now been documented.

But a lot of people still don't know about it--I just learned myself two days ago!! I knew in 1988 the results didn't make sense because all the rest of the evidence pointed to authenticity, so I knew something didn't jive. Then over the decades evidence of poor protocol and methodology started coming out, but it was only two days ago I learned from Barrie there was outright fraud involved with the carbon dating!

But if you don't have time for the 800 page book, go to the first post and watch the second video (from about 28:00-33:00) to hear what Barrie himself says about it

Or, if you have a little more time here is a great video that will give you the gist of the 800 page expose in 39 minutes. Well worth your time if you can spare it!

"Accountants could be charged with fraud if they behaved this way"

"The carbon dating of the Shroud will probably go down as ONE OF THE GREATEST FIASCOS IN THE HISTORY OF SCIENCE"

I’ve read it cover to cover .
It’s hard going , but it’s clear that Gove was neither a scientist in outlook or behaviour nor honest in his intentions.
they completely ignored meacham - the only archeologists advice.

Have you read meachams book? it’s well worth the read.
The thing about meacham is his reservations on the significance of RC was on the basis of experience, in advance, not wise after the event. He said before it that RC is only evidence , it is never indisputable and often wrong.

Its a fast moving area . Were you aware lucotte ( of the tunic of argentuille fame ) has found skin on the face of the shroud.
no forger would do that.

How did you get to speak to Barrie TB2?

Last edited:
The history of the failed RC date is far more damning than people think.
The equipment FAILED qualification!

In any quality controlled lab, equipment and process need qualifying against controls Before they can be used.
If equipment or process fails , it must be sidelined until the fault or origin is found Under ISO 9000 “ non conformance “ procedures. What you cannot do is use it again for critical tasks
It is “ GLP good laboratory practice “ that all medical and pharma labs are obliged to use.

This is Particularly true when AMS - invesnted by Gove, a lead player in the farce -
was a relatively new technology. So yet to be proven.

What people are generaly unaware of , was the equipment was trialled two years befiore.
AND IT FAILED
The paper produced is here by Tite, and on the Peruvian control samples it failed completely.
It gave half the sample date.

And yet they presented the 1988 result as infallible only two years later having never determined why it didn’t work In 1986

They also broke basic rules of science. If you do a test and it disagrees with other evidence , it’s up to you to try to explain why other data disagrees . They didnt. Anyone who reads their papers is forced to accept the authors including Tite had no idea of the difference between systematic and random error. Basic metrology.

Many years later the museum - and Tite who stated with Halls that “ someone faked it up and flogged it”
Refused to accept £1m to produce a fake. They had no idea how.

Now even Tite - resonsible for a travesty to science, who helped fiddle the data, even aHe now accepts it is the shroud of a crucified man

Last edited:
Hello,
About 2 years ago, I wad praying and talking to Jesus. I was outside looking up, and asked if I could see His face. Low and behold, In the sky, Jesus's pre incarnate face was in the sky for about 2 sec. or just long enough to put me in awe. His face was the same as the Shroud of Turin. That cloth is His.

Back