• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

THE CHURCH CALLED ISRAEL: Pt. 1

jeremiah1five

BIBLICAL CHRISTIANITY
Reaction score
Country
USA
The Abrahamic Covenant: God establishes a covenant with Abraham which is extended to his seed Isaac, and Jacob, whom God changes his name to Israel.

7 And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee. Gen. 17:7.

Jacob had twelve sons named: (in order of birth) Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Judah, Dan, Naphtali, Gad, Asher, Issachar, Zebulun, (Dinah was Jacob’s only daughter recorded in Scripture), Joseph, and Benjamin.
The Abrahamic Covenant extended to Abraham’s seed and descendants “after thee.”
Abraham had another son recorded in Scripture named Ishmael through a slave woman belonging to Abraham’s wife, Sarai/Sarah named Hagar.

Ishmael was also given great promises from God:

20 And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation.
21 But my covenant will I establish with Isaac, which Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year. Gen. 17:20–21.

Isaac had two sons recorded in Scripture named Esau and Jacob. When Rebekah was pregnant God told her “Two nations are in thy womb, And two manner of people shall be separated from thy bowels; And the one people shall be stronger than the other people; And the elder shall serve the younger” Gen. 25:23.

The “nations and kings” that God promised Abraham that would come from “out of thee” (his seed) are the descendants of Ishmael and Esau, both children of Abram the Hebrew (Gen. 14:13.) Through Jacob the covenant extended to his twelve sons and their descendants who were later known as the children of Israel (Jacob.) Joseph had two sons recorded in Scripture named Ephraim and Manassas.

In the process of time the children of Israel ended up in Egypt where Pharaoh made them slaves and placed upon this people great burdens by which they called upon their God for deliverance from their enslavement and troubles. God heard them and sent a man named Moses through whom God delivered this great people and destroyed the armies of Pharaoh and Egypt. God caused the children of Israel to wander through the desert many decades and finally rested them at the foot of Mount Sinai. It has been estimated the children of Israel that left Egypt numbered 3-4 million people with children included.

Back