• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

PLANET OF THE “Ear Vines”

Buff Scott Jr.

Sophomore
Reaction score
Planet Of The “Ear Vines

Editorial Note
If you’re like me, you enjoy science fiction. But what about science fiction infused with reality? That’s what this feature is all about. You’ll understand where I’m coming from when you read the concluding remarks.—Buff.

Finally There!
After a voyage of 13 months, the spacecraft was finally in the thresholds of its destination. An oblong planet in our solar system, discovered only a few years ago, was straight ahead. Scientists were convinced this heavenly body contained all of the components to support some form of intelligent life.

The spacecraft landed without incident. An hour later, the astronauts stepped out of their craft and into an atmosphere devoid of oxygen. The soil appeared productive, although its color and texture were different from Earth’s. A strange kind of vine-like vegetation covered most of the planet’s surface. It thrived without root, seemingly obtaining its nourishment from atmospheric substances. The vine threw off an uncanny fragrance. It flourished without oxygen.

There were other forms of organic life. What appeared to be trees were growing both vertically and horizontally. The first three to four feet grew out of the soil vertically, then made a 90-degree turn to grow horizontally. Pools of liquid resembling Earth’s water covered a small portion of the terrain.

More Discoveries
To the American spacemen, vegetation meant intelligent life. They immediately began to explore the new planet. They had not gone far when they discovered an elaborate entrance to an underground cavern. There were miles of well-constructed steps, which led far below the planet’s exterior shell. The astronauts were surprised that no artificial light was needed as they began to descend the spiral stepwell. They were even more surprised that the oxygen they carried was no longer needed.

They had descended the stepwell about one mile when they saw the incredible. There across a wide valley sat a large city on a hill. It was inhabited by thousands of creatures whose frames and features were different from Earth’s humans. Each creature had three arms, four legs, one eye, two long ears, and a head covered with a fungus-like growth. Most of them wobbled along with a vine-like piece of vegetation protruding from each ear.

Making Contact
They were soon befriended by a dozen of these creatures, who led them to the innermost part of the city. To their astonishment, the inhabitants were friendly and sociable. Technology, far advanced beyond Earth’s, was visible everywhere. Refined engineering broke down the language barrier, which enabled the astronauts to communicate with their new friends.

“Why,” the Americans asked, “do most of your citizens wear a piece of vegetation in each ear? What is it and what does it do?” An elderly inhabitant, apparently one of the leaders, stepped forward and replied, “The vine is inserted into each ear. It is gathered from our planet’s surface. It secretes a substance that stimulates the brain and excites the user. Once the brain is trained to rely on this stimulant, addiction follows and those who use it cannot function comfortably without it.”

“But why aren’t you using the vegetation stimulant?”
one of the astronauts inquired. The elderly leader smiled and said, “I did, but I broke the habit and defeated the addiction. It was a difficult challenge. You see,” he continued, “the substance in this vegetation causes the brain to harden and shrink. Thousands of our citizens die annually because of their usage of this poison. They know the harmful effects derived from it, but they continue to use it because they think death will never overtake them. But it does, over and over. Vine usage is one of the leading causes of death on this planet.”

The Climax
A strange tale, huh? Not as strange as you might think, for I’m going to “turn the tables” a bit. You’ll need now to follow me meticulously.

Envision a spacecraft from another world landing on Earth for the first time. The space creatures venture out of their craft only to see another kind of creature walking around with smoke protruding from his mouth and nostrils, caused by a suction motion of the mouth as it draws upon a small white object called a “cigarette.”

“For what purpose is that thing?” one of the creatures asks. A wise old citizen steps up and says, “That’s a cigarette, and it’s made from a peculiar kind of vegetation. It stimulates the nervous system, and those who are addicted to it cannot function comfortably without it.”

“Is it harmful?"
the space creature retorts. “Very,” the Earthman responds. “It idles the brain and destroys the lungs. Other bodily organs age and deteriorate prematurely. It is our major cause of cancer and emphysema. Cigarette smoke contaminates everything it touches, even people. Clothing, furniture, drapes, and even food are polluted by it.”

“But why do your citizens continue a habit they know, in most cases, is fatal?”
the space creature inquires. The Earthman replies, “That question is the most difficult of all. I suppose every user feels that ‘it will never happen to me.’ But it does, over and over. Most of the users will not come to their senses until death or ill-health comes knocking. By then it is too late. The poison has done its damage.”

The space creature responds, “We came to your planet seeking rational beings. We are disappointed. As there are many other worlds yet unexplored, we will take our leave of your Earth.”

Back