• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

I humbled myself with fasting, but my prayers returned UNANSWERED

TonyChanYT

Sophomore
Reaction score
ESV, Psalm 35:

1 Contend, O LORD, with those who contend with me; fight against those who fight against me!
Let God fight against my enemies.

12 They repay me evil for good; my soul is bereft. 13 But I, when they were sick— I wore sackcloth; I afflicted myself with fasting; I prayed with head bowed on my chest.
For my part, I fasted and prayed for them.

The bolded phrase in Hebrew had a few different translations.

Literal Standard Version:

My prayer returns to my bosom.
Berean Standard Bible:

my prayers returned unanswered.
When David wrote this psalm, he might have had King Saul in mind. He sincerely fasted and prayed for him, but God did not answer his prayer exactly how he wanted. Praying with fasting is not a guarantee.

Back