• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

Heaven's Gifts vs Human Delusions

Buff Scott Jr.

Sophomore
Reaction score
Heaven’s Gifts vs. Human
Delusions

For many years I have felt that those who sincerely rely upon emotions and an “inner voice” for guidance, and who claim to be personally contacted by God or by His Holy Spirit are, in all probability, being swayed by delusions—feelings that denote some deep need and is crying out for gratification.

A few years ago, in a conversation with another believer, he informed me that he had been receiving messages from God. When I inquired about the form of those messages, he said God had spoken to him audibly, as well as “laid strong words upon my heart.” We might rightfully ask, “What part of his ‘encounters’ can be ascribed to human emotions or feelings of grandeur?” It seems, at least to me, that most today who claim to be prophets and have prophetic prerogatives are possibly possessed with mirages—unrealistic hopes or aspirations.

Such encounters place the recipient on a spiritual level higher than most of the prophets of old—even higher than the Twelve Apostles, for his “revelations” are frequent and fresh. The emotion called “sensationalism” usually becomes part of his character. Today, in this spiritually enlightened age, God continues to reveal Himself. He has not shut Himself off from His creation. I see God revealing Himself in at least three ways:

1] Through His Son and the written testimony [Heb. 1:2].
2] Through the Holy Spirit who personally indwells each of His children [John 14:17].
3] Through the things He has made [Rom. 1:20].

Does God communicate with today’s so-called “prophets” on a personal level? After all, they receive “revelations” no one else has received. They tread their own personal path to God’s glory and to God’s storehouse of knowledge. Many of their “spiritual” decisions and verbalizations are extraordinarily unique. A delusional voice seems to direct many if not most of their steps. That “voice” is interpreted as the “voice of God” or the “voice of the Holy Spirit.”

If supernatural gifts exist among God’s people today, as they did 2,000 years ago, there are prophets and divinely-inspired prophecies among us. If, on the other hand, God is not currently granting supernatural or extraordinary gifts, as He did 2,000 years ago, there are no prophets or divinely-inspired revelations among us. I have never observed a truly supernaturally-guided prophet in action. If and when I do, I’ll have no problem with his divine revelations and prophecies. But if he prophesies and his prophecy does not come true, I’ll be the first to pick up a stone!

I don’t need to remind you of the many “prophets” who prophesied doom, misery, and tribulation come Y2K. These false prophets are still dodging stones. I followed some of them on the Internet. They made a killing from the books and tapes they sold to gullible believers. When a brother steps into the role of claiming to be a prophet, but is not, he has, in my opinion, involved himself in affairs that belong only to Deity.

I’m indebted to Paul for writing to the Corinthians, “If anyone thinks he is a prophet, or spiritual, he should acknowledge that the things I am writing to you are a command of the Lord” [I Cor. 14:37]. Apparently, some were claiming to be prophets but weren’t. To paraphrase what the Apostle seems to be saying, “If anyone thinks he is a prophet or inspired, or possesses miraculous gifts, let him know that what I write is a command of the Lord.” Bottom line is that there were false prophets in Paul’s day, just as there are today.​

Does God communicate with today’s so-called “prophets” on a personal level?​
Yes - IF they're manifesting the "Gift of Prophesy".
If supernatural gifts exist among God’s people today, as they did 2,000 years ago, there are prophets and divinely-inspired prophecies among us.​
And so there are.
I have never observed a truly supernaturally-guided prophet in action.​
That you know of. Always remember, the Jews murdered Jesus because He didn't measure up to their "Theological paradigm".
Bottom line is that there were false prophets in Paul’s day, just as there are today.​
ABSOLUTELY!!! But the demonstrated existence of the FALSE, doesn't eliminate the presence of the genuine.

Back