• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

GIFTED OR NOT GIFTED?

Buff Scott Jr.

Sophomore
Reaction score
Gifted Or Not Gifted
[Where do we stand?]
In a previous column on congregational singing, I wrote, “Among the diverse activities in the assembly of the saints, a congregation’s leaders should not encourage or expect non-gifted singers to sing, especially solo fashion.” Through the years, I have stood beside many of them and, as hard as they try to please God with a gift they do not possess, they fall short.

True, our feeble efforts are nonetheless joyful sounds to the Lord. Yet we should not try to edify and enlighten others with a gift God has not conferred upon us. As an example, among others, we should not try to shepherd God’s sheep if God has not blessed us with the gift of leadership.

I once knew a pulpit preacher who, as a teacher and private communicator, was among the best. But as a public speaker, he lacked the gift. This good brother attempted to usurp a gift the Lord had not dispensed.

On the other side of the coin, I was once acquainted with a young Christian lady, sweet and committed to the Lord, who yearned to be a soloist. To offset offending her, the leaders placed her on the Music Agenda occasionally. When she sang, I had to bite my tongue to keep from being amused aloud. God understood her feeble attempts to be a singer, yes; but her struggles were less than edifying. The leaders should have gone to her and lovingly redirected her efforts by probing into her other talents. Instead, they participated in her intervals of suffering—along with others who lovingly listened to her.

I recommend we discover and uncover the gifts God has accorded us and develop and cultivate them to His glory and to the strengthening of our fellow believers. When and if we try to force a charismatic gift, or any other brand of gift, upon ourselves, with which we are not endowed, we take a step in the wrong direction and possibly cause a breakdown in mutual edification.

It is quite pleasing how Paul speaks of gifts, “Now there are varieties of gifts...empowered by one and the same Spirit who apportions to each one individually as he wills.” It will be worth your while to read about some of these gifts in Romans 12:6-8 and I Corinthians 12:4-11.
There is no night without a dawning,
No winter without a spring;
And beyond the dark horizon,
Our hearts will once more sing.”

Back