• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.

CHURCHITIS & THE DUMPS

Buff Scott Jr.

Sophomore
Reaction score
Churchitis And The Dumps
Down on churches and their divisive structures? So am I. Disgusted with contemporary religion? Me, too. Sick to the stomach with those religious leaders whose only god is money? I’m still with you. Nauseated with the hypocrisy of the clergy? We’re on the same channel. You see no hope for institutional religion, and you have lost all confidence in Western “Christianity?” Don’t feel badly, others agree. Would you like to see it all go away? So would I. Do you place modern-day religion in the same vein as crooked politics? We’re still on track. Do you believe the professional clergy—Protestant, Roman Catholic, Jewish—assume “spiritual” virtue and act reverently while wallowing in cunning devises and immorality? Amen! Do you see as much good in the world as you do in churches and cults? You’re right again.

In reality, religion and churches and cults cannot take us to heaven. Although some pockets of good can be found in most of the above, overall, they’re a total mess. To reach heaven, we need to develop and cultivate a strong, healthy relationship with a man called Jesus. A religious, churchy relationship may offer a few temporary merits, but it will not take us where our Creator is. Only the man Jesus is the answer, the key, and the “lifejacket.” Without Him, all is lost. About two thousand years ago, this man announced, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6).

This man Jesus either told the truth or He lied. If He lied, nothing He taught is trustworthy. If He told the truth, we had better cease placing our loyalty in churches, cults, tube evangelists, preachers, priests, and “elderships.” For when a man places his loyalty in any of the above, we have a “church member” on our hands, not a committed follower of Jesus.​

Is It Important, Then, That Believers Meet With Other Believers?
Yes, for the purpose of mutually supporting and encouraging one another, whether in a living room or under the shade of the old apple tree. Believers are not compelled to meet in church structures. The early believers didn’t have them. God is everywhere! Worship for the committed believer is a 24-hour-a-day matter—not something we turn on and off like a water faucet.​

Are Church Structures And Edifices Our Idols?
I have often said they are monuments that testify of our idolatry. A few readers—somehow—understood me as being opposed to meeting in any structure. The issue is not whether it’s right or wrong to meet somewhere. The issue is whether or not we have built church structures and edifices and set them apart—sanctified them—as holy articles or entities. I say we have. If I’m correct, we are as guilty of idolatry as were the children of Israel who erected Asherah poles as symbols of worship. God told Israel in no uncertain terms, “Do not make idols or set up an image or a sacred stone for yourselves, and do not place a carved [consecrated] stone in your land to bow down before it” (Lev. 26:1).

Protestants and Catholics have done just that! Catholics have not only set up “consecrated stones” in the form of church structures, but they have made idols and images and bow down to them. Protestants, on the other hand, have set up their elaborate edifices and crosses and view them as sanctuaries and revered designs. Oh, there may be a few exceptions, but the rule seems to be universal. There’s an old maxim, “Our heart is where our money is.” If we will but consider the hundreds of thousands of dollars—yea, even millions—that are spent on church structures, designs, religious inventions, and edifices, and compare that amount to the few dollars we spend on seeking and saving the lost and feeding the genuinely poor, we don’t need a professor to locate our hearts. If this isn’t idolatry, I’ve lost my ability to reason.

We fail to see that God no longer “lives in temples build by [human] hands” (Acts 17:24). His only sanctuary today is the believer’s heart (1 Cor. 3:16). But try telling the average pew-warmer this. He views his church edifice and its “sanctuary” as holy places, and feels that he must go there in order to worship and make contact with his God. However, his “sanctuary” is no holier than the building’s restrooms.​

Jesus Christ left the Apostles and the Apostles left Priests so we can repent and also we can join with His holy Body and Blood, an act that at western Churches is forgotten and at Pope's Church it is done wrong.

John 6.53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

In reality, religion and churches and cults cannot take us to heaven.​
Mt 12:36 I tell you, on the day of judgment people will render an account for every careless word they speak.
This man Jesus either told the truth or He lied. If He lied, nothing He taught is trustworthy. If He told the truth, we had better cease placing our loyalty in churches, cults, tube evangelists, preachers, priests, and “elderships.” For when a man places his loyalty in any of the above, we have a “church member” on our hands, not a committed follower of Jesus.​
And yet, Christ gave you a Church. You reject His Church.
Catholics have not only set up “consecrated stones” in the form of church structures
With Christ present in the Eucharist
If this isn’t idolatry, I’ve lost my ability to reason.
2Cor 4:4 :(

I think Buff would agree that Christ did not give us a church - He MADE US A CHURCH.

We are being "built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the spirit." (Ephesians 2:20-22).

Peter duplicated the same thing when He wrote, "You also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God through Jesus Christ." (1 Peter 2:5).

I think Buff would agree that Christ did not give us a church - He MADE US A CHURCH.
and that Church has a hierarchical leadership.
Peter duplicated the same thing when He wrote, "You also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God through Jesus Christ." (1 Peter 2:5).
Peter was also given the keys of authority....bind/loose on His Church

Peter was also given the keys of authority....bind/loose on His Church
As I wrote on the other post just now, this was while Peter was alive on earth. A charge for Peter to perform which was over once Peter died.

Mt 12:36 I tell you, on the day of judgment people will render an account for every careless word they speak.

With Christ present in the Eucharist

2Cor 4:4 :(
No, Christ did not give us or establish a church, in spite of Matthew 16:18. The term "church" is not found once in the Greek scriptures. (See Thayer's Greek Lexicon.) The Greek term is ekklesia, and never once is it translated "church" in the authentic Greek scriptures. The correct translation is assembly, congregation, called-ones, or community.

In other words, our Lord and His apostles founded a new ekklesia—a new people, a new congregation, a new Israel, a new community. Man founded churches, sects, and cults. The Roman Catholic Church is as fake and counterfeit as they come. (More on this later.)

As I wrote on the other post just now, this was while Peter was alive on earth. A charge for Peter to perform which was over once Peter died.
so much for the following....

Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the holy Spirit comes upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, throughout Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.

Jn 14:16-17 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate to be with you ALWAYS, the SPIRIT OF TRUTH, which the world cannot accept, because it neither sees nor knows it. But you know it, because it remains with you, and will be in you.

Jn 16:13 But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will GUIDE YOU to ALL TRUTH. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to you the things that are coming.

Mt 28:19-20 Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, TEACHING THEM to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you ALWAYS, until the END OF THE AGE.” [all nations – (ethne) … "all ethnic groups"/"peoples".]

No, Christ did not give us or establish a church, in spite of Matthew 16:18. The term "church" is not found once in the Greek scriptures. (See Thayer's Greek Lexicon.) The Greek term is ekklesia, and never once is it translated "church" in the authentic Greek scriptures. The correct translation is assembly, congregation, called-ones, or community.

In other words, our Lord and His apostles founded a new ekklesia—a new people, a new congregation, a new Israel, a new community. Man founded churches, sects, and cults. The Roman Catholic Church is as fake and counterfeit as they come. (More on this later.)
"Church" comes the Greek kyriakon (cyriacon), i.e. the Lord's house. The Lord founded One Church on One faith, in One Body, partaking One sacrament. Hence there is but ONE Church.

Churchitis And The Dumps
Down on churches and their divisive structures? So am I. Disgusted with contemporary religion? Me, too. Sick to the stomach with those religious leaders whose only god is money? I’m still with you. Nauseated with the hypocrisy of the clergy? We’re on the same channel. You see no hope for institutional religion, and you have lost all confidence in Western “Christianity?” Don’t feel badly, others agree. Would you like to see it all go away? So would I. Do you place modern-day religion in the same vein as crooked politics? We’re still on track. Do you believe the professional clergy—Protestant, Roman Catholic, Jewish—assume “spiritual” virtue and act reverently while wallowing in cunning devises and immorality? Amen! Do you see as much good in the world as you do in churches and cults? You’re right again.

In reality, religion and churches and cults cannot take us to heaven. Although some pockets of good can be found in most of the above, overall, they’re a total mess. To reach heaven, we need to develop and cultivate a strong, healthy relationship with a man called Jesus. A religious, churchy relationship may offer a few temporary merits, but it will not take us where our Creator is. Only the man Jesus is the answer, the key, and the “lifejacket.” Without Him, all is lost. About two thousand years ago, this man announced, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6).

Is It Important, Then, That Believers Meet With Other Believers?
Yes, for the purpose of mutually supporting and encouraging one another, whether in a living room or under the shade of the old apple tree. Believers are not compelled to meet in church structures. The early believers didn’t have them. God is everywhere! Worship for the committed believer is a 24-hour-a-day matter—not something we turn on and off like a water faucet.​

Are Church Structures And Edifices Our Idols?
I have often said they are monuments that testify of our idolatry. A few readers—somehow—understood me as being opposed to meeting in any structure. The issue is not whether it’s right or wrong to meet somewhere. The issue is whether or not we have built church structures and edifices and set them apart—sanctified them—as holy articles or entities. I say we have. If I’m correct, we are as guilty of idolatry as were the children of Israel who erected Asherah poles as symbols of worship. God told Israel in no uncertain terms, “Do not make idols or set up an image or a sacred stone for yourselves, and do not place a carved [consecrated] stone in your land to bow down before it” (Lev. 26:1).

Protestants and Catholics have done just that! Catholics have not only set up “consecrated stones” in the form of church structures, but they have made idols and images and bow down to them. Protestants, on the other hand, have set up their elaborate edifices and crosses and view them as sanctuaries and revered designs. Oh, there may be a few exceptions, but the rule seems to be universal. There’s an old maxim, “Our heart is where our money is.” If we will but consider the hundreds of thousands of dollars—yea, even millions—that are spent on church structures, designs, religious inventions, and edifices, and compare that amount to the few dollars we spend on seeking and saving the lost and feeding the genuinely poor, we don’t need a professor to locate our hearts. If this isn’t idolatry, I’ve lost my ability to reason.

We fail to see that God no longer “lives in temples build by [human] hands” (Acts 17:24). His only sanctuary today is the believer’s heart (1 Cor. 3:16). But try telling the average pew-warmer this. He views his church edifice and its “sanctuary” as holy places, and feels that he must go there in order to worship and make contact with his God. However, his “sanctuary” is no holier than the building’s restrooms.​
Heb 10:23 Let us hold resolutely to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful. 24And let us consider how to spur one another on to love and good deeds. 25 Let us not neglect meeting together, as some have made a habit, but let us encourage one another, and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Perhaps I've misunderstood you...but from your post it sounds like you have made it a habit of neglecting to meet together with believers.

There are an estimated 45,000 denominations. Find a denomination and church that suits you, stop worrying about what doesn't matter and live your faith in Christ by following his two commandments: love God, love your neighbor.

There are an estimated 45,000 denominations. Find a denomination and church that suits you, stop worrying about what doesn't matter and live your faith in Christ by following his two commandments: love God, love your neighbor.
Yes, Jesus and His apostles taught us to love God and our neighbor. But they also disfavored religious parties. Try reading again how Jesus felt about the Pharisees and Sadducees, religious parties, and how Paul felt about religious parties (denominations) in I Cor. 1:12-13. Paul was very concerned about the divisive condition at Corinth.​

Yes, Jesus and His apostles taught us to love God and our neighbor. But they also disfavored religious parties. Try reading again how Jesus felt about the Pharisees and Sadducees, religious parties, and how Paul felt about religious parties (denominations) in I Cor. 1:12-13. Paul was very concerned about the divisive condition at Corinth.​
Even then, Christ asked for obedience....

Mt 23:2-3 The scribes and the Pharisees have taken their seat on the chair of Moses. Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you, but do not follow their example. For they preach but they do not practice.

I don't disagree, however, the realty is many denominations and no way to know if one is better than the others. My point is to cleave to what is important, that Paul preached and which all denominations have in common and that is to live your faith.

I don't disagree, however, the realty is many denominations and no way to know if one is better than the others. My point is to cleave to what is important, that Paul preached and which all denominations have in common and that is to live your faith.
Even if 'the faith' is in error?

Even then, Christ asked for obedience....

Mt 23:2-3 The scribes and the Pharisees have taken their seat on the chair of Moses. Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you, but do not follow their example. For they preach but they do not practice.
Yes, the Roman Catholic Church has "taken a seat" on the chair of sectarianism, "do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you, but do not follow their example. For they preach but they do not practice."

Jesus Christ left the Apostles and the Apostles left Priests so we can repent and also we can join with His holy Body and Blood, an act that at western Churches is forgotten and at Pope's Church it is done wrong.

John 6.53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
Who are these priests?
Thanks

Not so! Matt 28:19 and acts 1:8 and Jn 20:21 require a continuous apostolic succession until Christ returns

Thanks

Back