• **Notifications**: Notifications can be dismissed by clicking on the "x" on the righthand side of the notice.
  • **New Style**: You can now change style options. Click on the paintbrush at the bottom of this page.
  • **Donations**: If the Lord leads you please consider helping with monthly costs and up keep on our Forum. Click on the Donate link In the top menu bar. Thanks
  • **New Blog section**: There is now a blog section. Check it out near the Private Debates forum or click on the Blog link in the top menu bar.
  • Welcome Visitors! Join us and be blessed while fellowshipping and celebrating our Glorious Salvation In Christ Jesus.

All theology questions must stop in here

EarlyActs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
The resurrection is the enthronement of Christ. This is the upshot of the Acts 2 message, and also of its v30, 31 about what David saw: the grammar is that he saw the resurrection as the installment of the Davidic King. This is also the doctrine of such prominent texts as Eph 1, Phil 2 and Heb 1. In the breakthrough talk to thinkers at Athens, it figures again by ending on the note that 'God will judge the world in righteousness through the One He has appointed' which takes Ps 2 and 110 and applies them directly to the nations. That appointed One is the enthroned King, Christ.

The nuance of this kingdom is not that it is a government on earth; rather that it makes imperative that all peoples honor Christ for his accomplishment, all levels of people from rulers to mechanics. This makes it universally applicable, but not entangled in "eschatology."

It is also not a statement that God has everything under control. While this is true, what people are expecting to find is that everything will be pleasant or prosperous or 'great' for us.

The resurrection is the enthronement of Christ is also embedded in Acts 3:19's 'heaven is holding a reception for him...' and in Acts 4's usage of Ps 2.

In Romans 1, the resurrection "declared" him to be the Son that Ps 110 was referring to, who is seated in honor at the right hand.

Greetings EarlyActs,
The resurrection is the enthronement of Christ. This is the upshot of the Acts 2 message, and also of its v30, 31 about what David saw: the grammar is that he saw the resurrection as the installment of the Davidic King.
Peter is expounding Psalm 110:1 to speak of the fact that Jesus has been exalted to sit at the right hand of God in God the Father's Throne.
Acts 2:29–36 (KJV): 29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day. 30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; 31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. 32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. 33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. 34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, 35 Until I make thy foes thy footstool. 36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

Revelation 3:21 (KJV): To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

Matthew 19:28 (KJV): And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Jesus will sit upon the Temple Throne of David in Jerusalem for the 1000 years after he returns and converts a significant remnant of Israel and subjects the nations who will then learn the ways of God.
Isaiah 2:1–4 (KJV): 1 The word that Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem. 2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD’S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it. 3 And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. 4 And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

Micah 4:1–8 (KJV): 1 But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it. 2 And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for the law shall go forth of Zion, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. 3 And he shall judge among many people, and rebuke strong nations afar off; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. 4 But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid: for the mouth of the LORD of hosts hath spoken it. 5 For all people will walk every one in the name of his god, and we will walk in the name of the LORD our God for ever and ever. 6 In that day, saith the LORD, will I assemble her that halteth, and I will gather her that is driven out, and her that I have afflicted; 7 And I will make her that halted a remnant, and her that was cast far off a strong nation: and the LORD shall reign over them in mount Zion from henceforth, even for ever. 8 And thou, O tower of the flock, the strong hold of the daughter of Zion, unto thee shall it come, even the first dominion; the kingdom shall come to the daughter of Jerusalem.

Jeremiah 3:17 (KJV): At that time they shall call Jerusalem the throne of the LORD; and all the nations shall be gathered unto it, to the name of the LORD, to Jerusalem: neither shall they walk any more after the imagination of their evil heart.

Matthew 5:34–35 (KJV): 34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God’s throne: 35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.

Acts 3:19–21 (KJV): 19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; 20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: 21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Kind regards
Trevor

Acts 2:30 specifically states that the resurrection was seen as the Davidic throne being ceremonially occupied; enthroned. One reason why this may be is that there are already many Psalms (David's) saying that it is occupied by God. The earth already belongs to God. But since Christ came this needs to be reasserted and 'this day I have begotten you' to the Son must be explained. The explanation was the resurrection, and was not a later Davidic king, says Jesus himself. This is why a later Judean government king is nowhere in the NT in ordinary descriptions of the future, only as a symbol in the Rev.

Greetings EarlyActs,

Peter is expounding Psalm 110:1 to speak of the fact that Jesus has been exalted to sit at the right hand of God in God the Father's Throne.
Acts 2:29–36 (KJV): 29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day. 30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; 31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. 32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. 33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear. 34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, 35 Until I make thy foes thy footstool. 36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

Revelation 3:21 (KJV): To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

Matthew 19:28 (KJV): And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Jesus will sit upon the Temple Throne of David in Jerusalem for the 1000 years after he returns and converts a significant remnant of Israel and subjects the nations who will then learn the ways of God.
Isaiah 2:1–4 (KJV): 1 The word that Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem. 2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD’S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it. 3 And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. 4 And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

Micah 4:1–8 (KJV): 1 But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it. 2 And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for the law shall go forth of Zion, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. 3 And he shall judge among many people, and rebuke strong nations afar off; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. 4 But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid: for the mouth of the LORD of hosts hath spoken it. 5 For all people will walk every one in the name of his god, and we will walk in the name of the LORD our God for ever and ever. 6 In that day, saith the LORD, will I assemble her that halteth, and I will gather her that is driven out, and her that I have afflicted; 7 And I will make her that halted a remnant, and her that was cast far off a strong nation: and the LORD shall reign over them in mount Zion from henceforth, even for ever. 8 And thou, O tower of the flock, the strong hold of the daughter of Zion, unto thee shall it come, even the first dominion; the kingdom shall come to the daughter of Jerusalem.

Jeremiah 3:17 (KJV): At that time they shall call Jerusalem the throne of the LORD; and all the nations shall be gathered unto it, to the name of the LORD, to Jerusalem: neither shall they walk any more after the imagination of their evil heart.

Matthew 5:34–35 (KJV): 34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God’s throne: 35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.

Acts 3:19–21 (KJV): 19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; 20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: 21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Kind regards
Trevor

There is no grammatical support in Acts 2 for what you say. A 1000 year kingdom is nowhere in mind. He only deals in direct issues there in light of the resurrection, which Rom 1, Eph 1, Phol 2 and Heb 1 say is the Davidic enthronement.

None of this is about a master timeline of slots to fill in. It is about imploring the nations to obey the Son in honor of his sacrifice, lest they be shattered to pieces.

There is no system or eschatology or theory in mind other than that.

Theology is nearly worthless. It is almost always in the way of what a passage actually says, a very frustrating thing to see.

Greetings again EarlyActs,
There is no system or eschatology or theory in mind other than that.
I have answered your erroneous perspective in many threads. Possibly we are both very persistent.

Kind regards
Trevor

I have answered your erroneous perspective in many threads. Possibly we are both very persistent.

Kind regards
Trevor

At the end of the day, I must have a theology that is not annoying the texts with 'outside' information. For ex., Acts 13's teaching is an official transcript from a synagogue talk. As an outline, everything necessary is there about the destiny, role, legacy of the race-nation. If it is not there, and someone tells me 'you have to understand there is XYZ elsewhere' then they are trashing the official outline. (I call it an outline because we usually do not get the level of detail we want; but we can't violate the outline!).

Kind regards
Trevor
Some just go off on paths that have no scriptural support to say nothing of that held by Christ and the Apostles and the early church.

Some just go off on paths that have no scriptural support to say nothing of that held by Christ and the Apostles and the early church.

Yes, and I believe there was a 19th cent. reason for that. It was that 'science' had undercut so much of Christian faith, specifically, Gen 1-11, that Christians were desperate to retain anything that 'proved' the Bible true. Even the fundamentalists gave up on a global cataclysm and said it was Caspian. They bent over backward to find a new form of 'proof' in modern Israel, a movement that was started especially by the renegade novelist G. Eliot, her departure from evangelical faith. A person could now jump the NT and still have a 'proof' of the Bible being 'true.'

I hope to produce a book over this year titled THE TRANSVERSE OF HISTORY about the normalization of dishonesty in most sciences and academia.

Back